Rip Michael Jackson

So one of the many things I've found interesting about the whole MJ thing, was the way the black community has embraced/outcried for him. Like, I had no idea he was THIS Beloved by the black community, this much of an icon. And it didn't make much sense to me. The guy had basically spent his whole life trying to look like a white woman through surgery, like to **** children (allegedly), and wasn't really very representative of the "black experience" in this country in any way ( to be fair, he's not representative of the human experience either, as he's probably lived the weirdest life of any american ever). So I found black america's embrace of him strange.... until I was listening to the Sports Guy's podcast today, and Chuck Klosterman (sp?) said something interesting, that I had never known..Billie Jean was the first MTV video with a black person in it. Prior to that it had been all white rock groups, new wave groups and pop groups. And that's a really big deal. I hadn't realized what an important racial figure he was. Not in the MLK sense, but in the normalization sense. The fact that he wasn't an overtly race conscious figure, that every race embraced him, was what was significant. IT's strange that Michael Jackson, of all people, could have been the force of normalization, but there it is.
he built up a lot of credibility before he had the ability to go nutshe grew up in gary indiana - which is essentially the ghetto of the ghetto
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Jackson is not going to be buried or cremated but recycledinto shopping bags so he can remain white, plastic, and dangerous forkids to play with.
Quite possibly the best thing I have heard since he died. I look forward to quoting you on this to many people. :club:
With all the chatter, one important question has not been answered:How is Chris Tucker doing through this trying time?
I saw a clip of Jamie Fox doing the moonwalk at the BET Awards Tribute to MJ, and almost fell flat on his ass. That would've been classic.
Michael Jackson is not going to be buried or cremated but recycledinto shopping bags so he can remain white, plastic, and dangerous forkids to play with.
wasn't that joke already used on page 1?anyways, this news a shocker to me. I remember the very first concert I ever went to was the Michael Jackson Thriller Tour. It was amazing...had the Jackson 5 to start and then the bros all left the stage and MJ did Billie Jean. I thought the roof was actually going to blow.Pretty sad how it all ended...I was going to try to see him in concert this year too.