Donte' Stallworth Killed A Man

Stallworth pleaded guilty to DUI mansaughter, should he be allowed back into the NFL?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How long should Stallworth be suspended for?

• No suspension
    • 8 games
    • Full Season
    • 2 Seasons
    • Lifetime Ban

If you don't know the story, google it. I usually provide oodles of links, but today you're on your own. Anybody who watches sports knows the story though. So this could go in the NFL forum, but it's really not that much about football - it's more about negligent homicide. The lack of severity of Stallworth's criminal punishment has been talked about a lot, but apparently not on this forum much.He plead guilty and got 30 days in jail, 2 years house arrest (which would allow him to work, aka play football if the NFL lets him), 8 years probation, and 1000 hours community service. The DA in Florida who convicted him said she's gotten more calls and emails about this than anything before. She said that they took the victim's family's wishes into great consideration, and the family wanted it to go away quickly and not drag them through a long legal battle. Stallworth also gave them an undisclosed payment, so they wouldn't sue. It is unclear if the payment had any relation to his subsequent punishment. The NFL has suspended him indefinitely, but either hasn't decided or hasn't made public how long that suspension will last.So I don't think it will bias the thread to give my opinion, since y'all will be doing the same (I hope). I think he should get a lifetime suspension. And yes, I do know that Leonard Little had a tremendously similar situation a decade ago, and he is still in the league, having served 90 days in jail and an 8 game suspension. Just because the league made one gross mistake doesn't mean they should use that terrible decision as a precedent.If the NFL wants to maintain any semblance of dignity, any semblance that you might be happy with your children rooting for all of the players on your team, I don't see how they can reinstate a player convicted of DUI manslaughter. Dog fights, shooting yourself in the leg illegally, yeah those are retarded and shame the league too, but negligent manslaughter is simply inexcusable. I'm obviously a baseball man, but if Stallworth is reinstated, I will boycott any game he plays in (by refusing to watch, even the Superbowl), and might feel strongly enough to just boycott the NFL for good.

Meh, the whole thing was kinda iffy and Donte reached a settlement. The guy apparently wasing paying attention and walked (illegally) in front ofhis car. Donte got hammered because he had been drinking though wasn't shit faced or anything.We all realize that is the risk you run if you drink and drive. Another thingthat wouldn't go in Donte's favor is a previous DUI conviction (I believe).On one hand I have a problem with preventing a guy from working at hisprofession especially when it is exclusive and it's not like there is anotherleague to go to. But- It is an exclusive league and the players should be aware of that priveledgeand not do stupid shit to prevent them from being able to work there. There are all to many professions where alot less would get you canned and this shouldn't be no exception. My wife would lose her job for a DUI let alone reckless homicide.So, I guess lifetime ban and castration since the dumbass shouldn't be allowed to procreate and pass on his obvious stupidity.

it's really not that much about football - it's more about negligent homicide.He plead guilty and got 30 days in jail, 2 years house arrest (which would allow him to work, aka play football if the NFL lets him), 8 years probation, and 1000 hours community service.She said that they took the victim's family's wishes into great consideration, and the family wanted it to go away quickly and not drag them through a long legal battle. Stallworth also gave them an undisclosed payment, so they wouldn't sue.The NFL has suspended him indefinitely, but either hasn't decided or hasn't made public how long that suspension will last.I think he should get a lifetime suspension.if Stallworth is reinstated, I will boycott any game he plays in (by refusing to watch, even the Superbowl), and might feel strongly enough to just boycott the NFL for good.
I dont care about sports one bit.... never watched it, followed it, or thought about it in the least....All I know about this "case" is what you just posted, so I can give a completely unbiased opinionThe guy drank and drove...killed someone....was punished by a court of law....paid the family an undisclosed sum....and they were pleased enough to not sueSeems to me its over...If the guy who hauls my trash gets sloshed, kills a guy that walks out in front of him, gets arrested, charged, serves his time, and gets cut loose and returns to work, Ill still take my trash to the curb every Thursday.....I dont care who the hell picks it upIll still wave at him and give him a few bucks for a Christmas tip every yearI understand there is a difference here.... the "star" is paid millions and the trash guy makes minimum wageThe trash guy would have never got out of jail in the first placeAnd thats the reason I dont watch sports....

Full season. It is not the NFL's job to impose punishments that make up for a perceived injustice in the legal system. DUI Manslaughter sentences are notoriously inconsistent. People only get a year or three in jail all the time. 30 days is amazingly lenient. Oh well. If the family can accept it, then the NFL should as well.The NFL has to do something however. They cant just let him play. A full year suspension (conditioned on him being a boy scout this year) and then let him back.

I didn't mean that the NFL's punishment should at all take into account the extent of his legal punishment, just take into account the conviction and guilty plea. And re: sick info - it's not that the guy doesn't deserve another chance at making amends, or that I think he's an evil person for ever and ever. It's just that the NFL and similar organizations are more than just a buncha guys who play sports. They're multi-gazillion dollar corporations and are unique in the way that their employees are idolized by millions of people. I'm not one of those people who's usually all 'Won't somebody think of the children!' but in this instance I just think the NFL should want to completely dissociate itself from this sort of behavior. In all honesty, it's sets just about the worst example for kids who play football, and even for other adults, and I think he should be condemned by the league for it.On a related note, why are football players idiotic about doing illegal things themself, when they could just as easily let their bodyguard do that illegal thing for them? Why the hell are you behind the wheel Donte'? And not just because you are drunk, but because you are drunk and you are a friggin celebrity whose job has extremely strict rules for how you should conduct yourself in public. And you drive drunk. Just the sheer stupidity of him not having a driver should be enough to suspend him forever. Anybody that stupid will probably re-commit. Plaxico Burress, how are you carrying a gun? Insanely idiotic.

Donte Stallworth is not an intelligent person. I knew his brother. He played college ball with my best friend. His brother was better than him, but the reason he is not in the NFL and Donte is, is Donte is slightly less stupid.One day we all went to play basketball, and at the time I had a pretty nice BMW, black, lowered. It turned heads. I drove this thing straight into the Ghetto to pick up Stallworth at the "place he was staying". The reason I phrase it like that is he did not have a home, he just stayed at whatever girls place he was banging. Honked my horn and he runs down the steps Gets ready to hop in when he says my buddy Tre is going to come. I don't know Tre, not really comfortable with random dudes jumping in my car. Tre is across the street completing a "deal". Stalls yells at him and he just runs right through traffic without even looking. I am not about to let this guy in my car with a pocket full of rocks. I got pulled over all the time in that car, two white dudes with to black guys in the back seat was just asking the cops to pull us over. I told him as much, he assured me he was no longer carrying. I pretty much told him "no offense, I don't believe you, empty your pockets. He was wearing sweats and took out the wad of 100's and turned his pockets inside out. So reluctantly I let him in the car. Besides the fact he was a degenerate crack dealer, he was a pretty nice guy.Once we got to the court, half of the people there recognized Stallworth. When we got on the court we beat everyone so bad (the crack dealer could ball) they all quit. We had a couple shut outs, against some pretty good teams. Older Stalls, actually was very supportive of his younger brother and helped him get into college. But he could not keep it straight and got cut from the Chargers and I think bounced around the CFL, but I could be wrong.Bottom line, he was dumb, and deserves at least a one year suspension and should have gone to jail for much longer.

I'll put it this way. Suppose I go Dennys, and I order a grandslam. The fry cook behind the counter is not only an ex-con, but working at Denny's on a work program, on parole for assault with a deadly weapon. As long as my eggs are cooked correctly, do you know how much of a shit I give about this guys criminal past? 0.0 percent. So, if I don't care about the criminal pasts of people who cook my food, which I put into My body, and can actually effect my health and my actual life, why in the fck would I care if people who entertain me on a sports field have a criminal past or not.

I'll put it this way. Suppose I go Dennys, and I order a grandslam. The fry cook behind the counter is not only an ex-con, but working at Denny's on a work program, on parole for assault with a deadly weapon. As long as my eggs are cooked correctly, do you know how much of a shit I give about this guys criminal past? 0.0 percent. So, if I don't care about the criminal pasts of people who cook my food, which I put into My body, and can actually effect my health and my actual life, why in the fck would I care if people who entertain me on a sports field have a criminal past or not.
Yes, but if he were working at Denny's when he got arrested he would have been fired. That is the difference.
Yes, but if he were working at Denny's when he got arrested he would have been fired. That is the difference.
LOL such a terrible point.1) let the Browns decide if they want to fire him or not. 2) The reason he would be fired, because he would be literally in jail and couldn't work his shifts. If he was a good enough cook, the denny's would re hire him the moment he got out of jail (particularly because his wage would be supplemented by the state).
LOL such a terrible point.1) let the Browns decide if they want to fire him or not. 2) The reason he would be fired, because he would be literally in jail and couldn't work his shifts. If he was a good enough cook, the denny's would re hire him the moment he got out of jail (particularly because his wage would be supplemented by the state).
OK since we are working with this analogy. Lets say the owner of the Cleveland Denny's liked him, and wanted him to come back after he served his time, but the Corporation that franchises the restaurant had a policy that did not allow that. That would virtually be the same thing.

If you want to make the argument that Stalworth should miss out on paychecks/be fired because he's in jail for 5.5 years and can't be on the field, that's more interesting to me, but that's the job of the state, not the NFL.

If you want to make the argument that Stalworth should miss out on paychecks/be fired because he's in jail for 5.5 years and can't be on the field, that's more interesting to me, but that's the job of the state, not the NFL.
I agree with that, but that does not mean the NFL cannot have standards for their employees. It just needs to be consistent.
OK since we are working with this analogy. Lets say the owner of the Cleveland Denny's liked him, and wanted him to come back after he served his time, but the Corporation that franchises the restaurant had a policy that did not allow that. That would virtually be the same thing.
but who gives a shit about that. IT doesn't happen. In the real life criminals get jobs at Denny's right out of prison, cooking your food, and no one gives a shit. THat's my point. And those people have a direct impact on your life.
I agree with that, but that does not mean the NFL cannot have standards for their employees.
This was my main point. And they do. Strict ones. And as somebody said earlier, in nearly all jobs you will get fired like a motherfucker if you wind up in jail for 30 days on an old-fashioned DUI manslaughter conviction. The whole situation is very Hattie Carroll. The lonesome death of Mario Reyes.
but who gives a shit about that. IT doesn't happen. In the real life criminals get jobs at Denny's right out of prison, cooking your food, and no one gives a shit. THat's my point. And those people have a direct impact on your life.
You're probably right about garbage workers and dishwashers but most professional jobs have code of ethics contracts for employees andwill be dismissed for alot lesser violations. He is a "professional" isn't he? He is in the public eye, correct? Whether you, me or Donte like,he is a role model since children model themselves after professional athletes. Why should he be held to a different standard than the rest of coorporate America?
This was my main point. And they do. Strict ones. And as somebody said earlier, in nearly all jobs you will get fired like a motherfucker if you wind up in jail for 30 days on an old-fashioned DUI manslaughter conviction. The whole situation is very Hattie Carroll. The lonesome death of Mario Reyes.
Well, actually I love the song, but Dylan had virtually every fact about the situation completely wrong.
Yeah, but at most jobs people are highly replaceable. Plus, suitedaces made a part-joking but kind of important point. As long as the NFL has tons of beer advertising and sells beer at games and lets people drive to games, it is a bit much for them to be doling out DUI punishments in excess of a court of law.Stallworth is not being held to a different standard then corporate America, Randy. In the corporate world, a company will have the option to terminate an employee who committed a felony. If they choose to terminate, that is fine. If they choose not to, that is also fine but they might have to deal with bad public relations. There is no commissioner of the corporate world who will step in and overrule both the court system AND his employer.