More Proof Of American Greatness

On ESPN today, there is a poll:Who would you rather watch play soccer?USA or BrazilBrazil is ahead 63% to 37% and is also winning the poll in every individual state.

and what might they be?In a separate poll about soccer 97% of americans said they wouldn't give a shit if they never saw another soccer game in their entire lives. The poll you speak of (and the thread discussing it) are retarded. It's like asking me as a Canadian which national basketball team I'd rather watch, Canada's or the USA's. The USA is obviously superior, thus I'd rather watch them. I don't get what "subtle implication" you're talking about, unless you're bashing the 37% of people that chose USA.Either way, I've wasted 10mins of my life thinking about it, and that qualifies as a beat, imo.

and what might they be?In a separate poll about soccer 97% of americans said they wouldn't give a shit if they never saw another soccer game in their entire lives. The poll you speak of (and the thread discussing it) are retarded. It's like asking me as a Canadian which national basketball team I'd rather watch, Canada's or the USA's. The USA is obviously superior, thus I'd rather watch them. I don't get what "subtle implication" you're talking about, unless you're bashing the 37% of people that chose USA.Either way, I've wasted 10mins of my life thinking about it, and that qualifies as a beat, imo.
I was mostly just messing around but I dont agree with your reasoning. I feel most fans would rather watch "their" team especially in traditional american sports.the reason 97% of Americans dont like soccer (source? lol) is precisely because they dont like watching second rate sports (which also explains the lack of success enjoyed by women's sports financially) and would rather watch a great team they have no vested interest in than the American squad.This doesnt play out though in major sports as no Pirates fan would rather watch a Dodgers game. i think this poll helps explain why America will never embrace soccer.

Maybe if they played soccer with body armor, sharp weapons and the occasional exploding robot, Americans would be interested. I guess it's just too dull otherwise...

If you think an insignificant poll like this with unimpressive results is an example of American greatness I feel sorry for your culture.

A recent poll amongst non Americans found that 95% thought the word "Soccer" was god awful and should be banned.

A recent poll amongst non Americans found that 95% thought the word "Soccer" was god awful and should be banned.
I really hope that the US will win the world cup (they wont). It would be so sweet if we won the championship that the rest of the world cares about and that we don't give a flying fuck about. :club:
I really hope that the US will win the world cup (they wont). It would be so sweet if we won the championship that the rest of the world cares about and that we don't give a flying fuck about. :club:
That actually would be extremely funny and aggravating at the same time.
GO US AND A! WHOOP SPAIN'S ASS!
lol good luck with that.
lol good luck with that.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bloody typical. I can't post anything on this site without getting burned. :club:
that was a BS red card
It was awful. I completely agreed with Clark's from the 1st game and thought the 2nd one was sketchy, but looked like bradley was already pulling up from the challenge and it was still a red card. As if the referees have been conditioning themselves to assume hard tackles from the Americans = red card. That hurts, hurts, hurts in the final.
jay de merit - better than vidic!
USA defense seemed to be everywhere.....they must have blocked at least 10 shots. De Merit was great and Onyewu has been tremendous. They let Spain have tons of possession but they never made the big mistake. (And tim howard was superb although he only had to make two really good savs.)spain's finishing was off. after 15 straight wins they were due for an off game.just a fantastic result. bradley's red should have been a yellow and that hurts for the final. The way Brazil looked the first time USA played them....well the defense better bring it again sunday.
USA defense seemed to be everywhere.....they must have blocked at least 10 shots. De Merit was great and Onyewu has been tremendous. They let Spain have tons of possession but they never made the big mistake. (And tim howard was superb although he only had to make two really good savs.)spain's finishing was off. after 15 straight wins they were due for an off game.just a fantastic result. bradley's red should have been a yellow and that hurts for the final. The way Brazil looked the first time USA played them....well the defense better bring it again sunday.
whilst it was a great result for the us, i dont think anyone should be getting carried away. spain had enough chances to win that game twice over, they obv werent at their best and the us did a great job of taking their chances but i still think theyd be a huge dog with or without bradley against brazil. now if south africa beat brazil...
whilst it was a great result for the us, i dont think anyone should be getting carried away. spain had enough chances to win that game twice over, they obv werent at their best and the us did a great job of taking their chances but i still think theyd be a huge dog with or without bradley against brazil. now if south africa beat brazil...
yeah great results but no illusions.just more proof that the US is still at its best when it hunkers down defensively and plays counter-attack soccer. It's how they got to the quarters in 2002 (and they outplayed Germany in the game they lost).when they try to play "the beautiful game" they dont have the horses to pull it off.
yeah great results but no illusions.just more proof that the US is still at its best when it hunkers down defensively and plays counter-attack soccer. It's how they got to the quarters in 2002 (and they outplayed Germany in the game they lost).when they try to play "the beautiful game" they dont have the horses to pull it off.
No illusions at all. Until football goes out of style and we're all playing soccer in the backyard, we won't ever have the overall creative and individual talent. But we can work hard, play well as a team and pull off games like this more consistently. I don't think we'll ever win a world cup because there's too many games to pull through like this one, but we could win a confed cup and several more gold cups for sure.