Need Some Opinions On A Tournament Hand

EDIT: I'd like to change the title into "I could use some opinions on a tournament hand" as "need" sounds too demanding. Pity it's impossible to edit the title :SThis was a promotional tournament with a very high first prize. 63 places paid (starting from 8.80$ to about 400$) out of 300 people. 11 hands into the tournament this happens:PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comMP2 (t1640)MP3 (t1470)CO (t1430)Hero (Button) (t1400)SB (t1370)BB (t1830)UTG (t1160)UTG+1 (t2200)MP1 (t2530)Hero's M: 31.11Preflop: Hero is Button with 10spade.gif, 10diamond.gif1 fold, UTG+1 calls t30, MP1 calls t30, 3 folds, Hero bets t120, 3 folds, MP1 calls t90Flop: (t315) 5diamond.gif, Kclub.gif, Aclub.gif(2 players)MP1 checks, Hero bets t210, MP1 calls t210Turn: (t735) Kheart.gif(2 players)MP1 checks, Hero checksRiver: (t735) 3heart.gif(2 players)MP1 bets t420Hero ???

I agree I wouldn't bet more than 150-180 on flop, but unlike cdpier I would almost definitely bet it cuz I'm a cbet monkey :club: but really against one opp I think you should cbet here like 90% of the time. What was the buy-in for this tourny? depending on that and your read on the villain (i know its 11 hands in but you may have an idea on how active he's been so far) i don't know that the river is an auto-fold but its definitely a tough decision. I'd probably fold most of the time unless the guy has been super LAG to start off the tourny. I feel like I've been in this situation enough times and seen them turn over a small pocket pair or something that it could be a real possibility. it is a lot to call off tho.

First of all, thank you very much for your input on this. I've discussed the hand with people at work and one guy thinks that I should have checked the flop and definitely folded the river.The other guy thinks that I should have either limped pre flop and folded to any bet after not hitting a 10 or alternatively shoved pre flop, waiting for the inevitable coin flip (it was a freeroll tournament that paid out 20% of the field, starting at 8.80$ and going up to 400$. Main prize was another freeroll ticket to a headsup match for 10000$...).Now that I consider the first prize, I really should have played differently, especially on that hand that eventually broke my neck...Anyway, my reasoning here is that a lot of people are playing speculative hands in the early stages, so I couldn't just limp.On the flop, I had a feeling I might be outclassed, but now I'm following my new doctrine to always put in a bet when I'm faced with a guy who weakly checks to me. From my experience so far, it is +EV to do so.Since the guy called, I was ready to let go of my hand unless I hit a 10.However, the bet on the river was of a fishy size. If he had me crushed, why would he bet so much? I would have laid down my hand against an all in or against something typical like 1/3 of the pot. With this bet, I had the impression that the guy had air. Turned out he had a busted flush draw Qc9c.

First of all, thank you very much for your input on this. I've discussed the hand with people at work and one guy thinks that I should have checked the flop and definitely folded the river.The other guy thinks that I should have either limped pre flop and folded to any bet after not hitting a 10 or alternatively shoved pre flop, waiting for the inevitable coin flip (it was a freeroll tournament that paid out 20% of the field, starting at 8.80$ and going up to 400$. Main prize was another freeroll ticket to a headsup match for 10000$...).Now that I consider the first prize, I really should have played differently, especially on that hand that eventually broke my neck...Anyway, my reasoning here is that a lot of people are playing speculative hands in the early stages, so I couldn't just limp.On the flop, I had a feeling I might be outclassed, but now I'm following my new doctrine to always put in a bet when I'm faced with a guy who weakly checks to me. From my experience so far, it is +EV to do so.Since the guy called, I was ready to let go of my hand unless I hit a 10.However, the bet on the river was of a fishy size. If he had me crushed, why would he bet so much? I would have laid down my hand against an all in or against something typical like 1/3 of the pot. With this bet, I had the impression that the guy had air. Turned out he had a busted flush draw Qc9c.
Ha! I was right! LOL I knew it was a fishy bet. First of all don't even consider the idiot who told you to limp or shove preflop, thats retarded. Preflop you played it fine and flop too, though I said I would have bet a bit less its not a huge diff. Cbetting one opp is ideal in just about any situation. The only other mistake you made is not posting the username of the donk who limp/called, check/called, bluffed with Q9sooted so we could all benefit :club:

I dont think I would limp in this spot. With a hand like tens Im looking to get the hand heads up with someone. The reason being if Im in position with Tens and the flop comes K85 I can easily pick up the pot there if my opponent doesn't have the King but if Its a K85 flop with four people then I'd be hard pressed to c-bet that flop even if checked to. On the other hand a hand like fives, sixes, or sevens I almost always limp behind in that spot because I look at those hands in early stages of a tournament as mostly drawing to a set. I think you played the hand well, c-betting that flop isnt terrible but as others said if your opponent doesnt have an Ace or King he's folding to virtually any bet so making your c-bet less would be a good idea. As for the river a for sure fold your never ahead in that spot imo. Hope this helps...

This early in a tourney, I generally play TT like a mid pocket and play it for set value. Limping is not retarded because a standard or even 4x raise at this level will not get rid of many hands (as villains holding proves.) ~80% of flops are going to have overs to your tens, and we are going to be guessing as to where we are at.As played, I don't mind the cBet. We repped a big hand and the 2 big cards came out that we can bluff at. Once he calls though, I'm done. I fully expect to see some weak A call to showdown at this point. I don't call the river either...If I'm villain, I value bet pretty much the same amount after your turn check.You made a hero call and got it right...but I think you are going to be behind more often than not in this spot.

This early in a tourney, I generally play TT like a mid pocket and play it for set value. Limping is not retarded because a standard or even 4x raise at this level will not get rid of many hands (as villains holding proves.) ~80% of flops are going to have overs to your tens, and we are going to be guessing as to where we are at.As played, I don't mind the cBet. We repped a big hand and the 2 big cards came out that we can bluff at. Once he calls though, I'm done. I fully expect to see some weak A call to showdown at this point. I don't call the river either...If I'm villain, I value bet pretty much the same amount after your turn check.You made a hero call and got it right...but I think you are going to be behind more often than not in this spot.
This.Though since it's a freeroll and I don't have the patience to beat 2000 people to win $1.73, I'd probably play it different in this particular tournament.

I think calling the river is really bad. You mention that his bet sizing made you think, saying why would he bet that much if it were a value bet? I dont understand that at all. It's barely over 1/2 pot, which is fairly standard for a river VB. Especially if he had a K and he put you on an A, which you could easily have and checked the turn for pot control. Personally I think his river leading range crushes yours and this call is very poor. Regarding earlier comments about PF and flop play, I make it 150 preflop, and cbet this flop for 2/3 pot. Those of you saying to cbet less are going to get looked up far wider, and will have no real info on the villain's range. You need to modify your cbet amount based on board texture, not on the strength of your hand. If you had AQ there are you only cbetting for less than 1/2 pot with a gazillion draws out there? I think not. C-Bet the amount you would bet if you had TPTK.

I think calling the river is really bad. You mention that his bet sizing made you think, saying why would he bet that much if it were a value bet? I dont understand that at all. It's barely over 1/2 pot, which is fairly standard for a river VB. Especially if he had a K and he put you on an A, which you could easily have and checked the turn for pot control. Personally I think his river leading range crushes yours and this call is very poor.
Well, obviously I'm taking my own style into account and if I held an ace or a king, I would probably bet 1/3 of the pot to make sure that I get paid off. You're right, if he had put me on an ace and held a king that betsize would make perfect sense - however, I don't agree on the range comment. Assuming that he has a king also assumes that he either A) thought I was bluffing preflop and on the flop or B) that he's a bloody idiot, fishing for 2 outs, in which case he would have bet the turn or went all in on the river.Some information that I didn't post was that this guy became the chip leader by getting it all in pre flop with aces and that I did lay down the previous hand on the river against a bet (when I was the one who missed my flush draw).In light of the tournament structure and the elapsed time, I have to agree that the call was bad, though - sometimes you do have to let go of the best hand.
Well, obviously I'm taking my own style into account and if I held an ace or a king, I would probably bet 1/3 of the pot to make sure that I get paid off. You're right, if he had put me on an ace and held a king that betsize would make perfect sense - however, I don't agree on the range comment. Assuming that he has a king also assumes that he either A) thought I was bluffing preflop and on the flop or B) that he's a bloody idiot, fishing for 2 outs, in which case he would have bet the turn or went all in on the river.Some information that I didn't post was that this guy became the chip leader by getting it all in pre flop with aces and that I did lay down the previous hand on the river against a bet (when I was the one who missed my flush draw).In light of the tournament structure and the elapsed time, I have to agree that the call was bad, though - sometimes you do have to let go of the best hand.
You are losing value by only betting 1/3 pot if you have the A or the K. If he's willing to call 1/3, he's willing to call 1/2 and more most likely. Either he's calling or he's not.And a lot of K hands call the flop bet...especially this early.
You are losing value by only betting 1/3 pot if you have the A or the K. If he's willing to call 1/3, he's willing to call 1/2 and more most likely. Either he's calling or he's not.And a lot of K hands call the flop bet...especially this early.
Many thanks - posting this hand has improved my game due to the feedback I got: I tried value betting 1/2 a couple of times and lo and behold you were right, people are calling that (my straight vs someone's top pair, which he made on the river after missing his flush draw)!