Vancouver Canucks Fanclub

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News from an insider is saying Vancouver is deep in the Heatly game. Who would be going? Has to be a D-man by these moves. Off to GM Place for a day of Olympic training.
Would pretty much have to be Loungo with the canucks salry cap situation. Maybe 2 of their higher paid d man like Bieksa and Mitchell or Edler.
Yeah, the Canucks are already over the cap...
Having 4 players tying up 28 mill in cap space wont work. It would have to be pretty much a salry match up and in that case Loungo is the only player that makes sence with. I wouldnt do it. Not saying I wouldnt ever concider trading Lou straight up for a guy but Heatley isnt that guy imo.1.6 Mill for O'Brien looks so bad right now.(not as bad as 4 mill for Demitra though)
if you think that was bad..They just signed Mattieu Schneider.
Yucks. Still - will Schneider be playing with Bieksa? With all the moves, can't begin to figure out pairings, etc. Should be interesting.
Loungo signs extension. No details released yet.edit: rumour is 10-12 years at a 5.5 cap hit.
if true not smart...I am really against these massive contracts...Especially to older players. While he is still only 30 that will push him over 40.
if true not smart...I am really against these massive contracts...Especially to older players. While he is still only 30 that will push him over 40.
Not if he retires at 36. The point of these deals is to front load but use a lengthy term to lower the average cap number. If he retires at 36 or so they arent on the hook for the last years of the deal. However if a player over 34 signs a deal the team is on the hook(cap wise) for the length of term.
Not if he retires at 36. The point of these deals is to front load but use a lengthy term to lower the average cap number. If he retires at 36 or so they arent on the hook for the last years of the deal. However if a player over 34 signs a deal the team is on the hook(cap wise) for the length of term.
As long as the extension / contract takes effect before the player turns 36 then the team is golden (ie: not Pronger).
and if he doesnt retire, you are stuck with an over the hill goalie with a huge cap hit..
and if he doesnt retire, you are stuck with an over the hill goalie with a huge cap hit..
Yea but if he makes like 80% of his money in the first 6 years or so he probally wouldnt do that too the team if he is only making a million or 2 per year in the final years. I think its implied that he retires at a certain age but not discussed(unless your the Blackhawks)
Yea but if he makes like 80% of his money in the first 6 years or so he probally wouldnt do that too the team if he is only making a million or 2 per year in the final years. I think its implied that he retires at a certain age but not discussed(unless your the Blackhawks)
makes more sense..its just that logically if I am a 40 year old hockey player, with no other way of making an income i wont retire, and collect a pay cheque...But i understand the concept.

I'm actually with Serge on this one. How often do we see guys like...Tucker, Sillinger...Claude Lemieux and Theoren Fleury - they are not good enough that any NHL team is willing to pay them, but they'd take any contract. I realize the guys getting these extensions are a mile above any of those, but there is a reason older players always get 1-year deals. I think giving it to a goalie is questionable, considering how quickly they break down.Then again, if you can give someone the exact same contract, and pay it out of 10 years instead of 6...well that's different. I really hope the NHL cracks down on some of these contracts.

I'm actually with Serge on this one. How often do we see guys like...Tucker, Sillinger...Claude Lemieux and Theoren Fleury - they are not good enough that any NHL team is willing to pay them, but they'd take any contract. I realize the guys getting these extensions are a mile above any of those, but there is a reason older players always get 1-year deals. I think giving it to a goalie is questionable, considering how quickly they break down.Then again, if you can give someone the exact same contract, and pay it out of 10 years instead of 6...well that's different. I really hope the NHL cracks down on some of these contracts.
I agree. But if the competition is doing the same thing to get an edge they pretty much have to do the same to be competitive. Probally they will find something to plug this but the agents and gms will probally find another angle to play.

grocery is spot on. if your team refuses to exploit the loophole, they're at a competitive disadvantage. I can't blame the canucks, as this is nothing new and entirely the league's fault.

I agree as it goes against Gillis and the way he signs and believes in signing. This was a rumour out of Montreal I believe as I heard it on Team1040 today.I would love for him to retire as a Canuck but I can't see Gillis making this deal. Just signing him will be the first step.I see Bieksa being used as trade bait for some younger talent as well as they are well Flush on the Blue Line as well.Freaking exciting times as a 'nucks fan though and I can't wait to get the Sports Pack in a month.
makes more sense..its just that logically if I am a 40 year old hockey player, with no other way of making an income i wont retire, and collect a pay cheque...But i understand the concept.
There's nothing stopping the Canucks from burying him in the minors at that point.
There's nothing stopping the Canucks from burying him in the minors at that point.
That's another reason to hate these contracts. Great players being stuffed in the minors if they don't retire.But they make their bed... I just hope this isn't one of those contracts.
Hard to argue against a 5.4 million dollar hit for a goalie of his ability.
dont think thats the point...The 5.4 million dollar hit 7 , 8 or 10 years from now is the bad part.
dont think thats the point...The 5.4 million dollar hit 7 , 8 or 10 years from now is the bad part.
It goes away. If he's not worth the money, you waive him, bury him in the minors, whatever.And that's all assuming he doesn't retire.

Given his work ethic and raw talent, it isn't far fetched to think that he will be playing at a high level at the end of the contract. Maybe the 77 games a season will catch up to him, but it took Brodeur until this season for that to happen.

By 11/12, Vancouver will have a VERY strong core, still in its prime,Sedin, Sedin, Edler, Luongo, Burrows, Kesler, all locked in, for about 26/27mill. Imagine what they will be able to fill that roster out with then.I love the moves Gillis is making.