Bodog 2/3 NLHE (6-handed)UTG $391Button $381Cobalt $395Cobalt is BB w/ :3h:club:. I'm TAG (23/15/4.6). UTG is a somewhat competent reg (24/16/4). Button is pretty loose-passive pre-flop (open limps and calls a lot) and aggro post-flop (48/16/2.9). Basically, if it's checked to him, he's almost always betting.Pre-flop:UTG raises to $9, 2 folds, Button calls, 1 fold, Cobalt callsFlop ($29): :jh:ts:4h (3 players)Cobalt bets $22, 1 fold, Button callsTurn ($73): :5c (2 players)Cobalt bets $56, Button callsRiver ($185): :qh (2 players)Cobalt checks, Button goes all-in for $294

Curious about the flop line. If button bets when checked to almost always, why not check and let him do his thing? If UTG bets then that's even better as the pot will be larger (assuming button calls) and our hand rates to be best against an UTG raising range and a button flatting range. as played I call tho it's kind of a weird hand. I'd expect an aggro player to raise OTF many of his whiffed holdings, like FDs and OESDs. Basically he needs 4x to win here (ok 98 too), can't see him shoving a better two pair / set, and I doubt he has it that much, maybe 44 or 45, but again I'd expect captain combo draw to raise it up otf. I know that's not necessary, as you're representing some strength by leading into the PFR on this coordinated board, so he could decide to take this to the river. His line makes no sense, w/virtually any hand given his playing style, so I prefer to err on the calling side and look him up. Since you know he's the type of player to try and steal pots, this would be a good spot for him to do so as you've now expressed some weakness. Plus he may have been watching Tom Dwan overbet bluff on PAD/HSP while playing.

First reaction is 44/88, setsIf he views you as TAG, your range to call an UTG raise should be fairly tight. Would he float 44/88 against overcards that missed. Probably not, based on aggressive post-flop read.Now, If villain has a made hand, he doesn't love the turn, but it could have been a club. If he has a set, he likes the turn, but I see a set raising the flop.If villain is on a club draw, his two calls are logical due to stack sizes.I'm confused due to the read we have on villain. If he is loose/passive preflop, generally gets aggressive after the flop, his passive play on the flop/turn has me worried. The river shove is wow... Need to think more, I'm plenty confused

Curious about the flop line. If button bets when checked to almost always, why not check and let him do his thing? If UTG bets then that's even better as the pot will be larger (assuming button calls) and our hand rates to be best against an UTG raising range and a button flatting range.
If we were shorter, a normal c/r would be a good line. However, a reasonable c/r amount is going to leave them a good shoving amount...putting he pressure back on us to flip with an equity edge, but possibly not a big one if they decide to go with their hands. As it is, though I rarely donkbet, I wanted to do so here as my desire is to bet/3bet the flop to put the pressure on them. Having taken this line, it's possibly viable to go for a turn c/r, but I elected to not do that in this case.I don't see button flatting the flop and turn with a flopped straight, set, or bigger two pair. I very much expect him to raise in those scenarios.And, KJ...my desire is to check/call this river (as I think he's busted a lot), and I didn't expect the shove.
If we were shorter, a normal c/r would be a good line. However, a reasonable c/r amount is going to leave them a good shoving amount...putting he pressure back on us to flip with an equity edge, but possibly not a big one if they decide to go with their hands. As it is, though I rarely donkbet, I wanted to do so here as my desire is to bet/3bet the flop to put the pressure on them. Having taken this line, it's possibly viable to go for a turn c/r, but I elected to not do that in this case.I don't see button flatting the flop and turn with a flopped straight, set, or bigger two pair. I very much expect him to raise in those scenarios.And, KJ...my desire is to check/call this river (as I think he's busted a lot), and I didn't expect the shove.
AgreedCan you profitably make the river call?

Basically, he has a 4 or he's bluffing (possibly turning one pair into a bluff).Here's what I think our equity looks like... equity win tie pots won pots tied Hand 0: 67.857% 67.86% 00.00% 38 0.00 { 6d5d }Hand 1: 32.143% 32.14% 00.00% 18 0.00 { 88, 44, AcQc, AcJc, AcTc, Ac9c, Ac8c, A7s, Ac5c, A4s, Ac3c, Ac2c, KcQc, KcJc, KcTc, Kc9c, QcJc, QcTc, Qc9c, JcTc, Jc9c, Tc9c, T8s, 97s+, 86s+, 64s, 54s }

Basically, he has a 4 or he's bluffing (possibly turning one pair into a bluff).Here's what I think our equity looks like... equity win tie pots won pots tied Hand 0: 67.857% 67.86% 00.00% 38 0.00 { 6d5d }Hand 1: 32.143% 32.14% 00.00% 18 0.00 { 88, 44, AcQc, AcJc, AcTc, Ac9c, Ac8c, A7s, Ac5c, A4s, Ac3c, Ac2c, KcQc, KcJc, KcTc, Kc9c, QcJc, QcTc, Qc9c, JcTc, Jc9c, Tc9c, T8s, 97s+, 86s+, 64s, 54s }
Can we really include hands like A4s that isn't clubs in his range? Is he calling the turn with that?I really feel like a huge part of his range is 54s or 64s, and then almost everything else is bluffs. Seems pretty unlikely he shows up with AQcc, KQcc, QJcc, etc., basically any QcXc since if he is aggro post-flop, then it seems like he might blow up on the turn. A set is pretty much impossible, as is a flopped straight if he is aggro and that board sucks for both of those hands to flat two streets.
Bodog 2/3 NLHE (6-handed)UTG $391Button $381Cobalt $395Cobalt is BB w/ :3h:club:. I'm TAG (23/15/4.6). UTG is a somewhat competent reg (24/16/4). Button is pretty loose-passive pre-flop (open limps and calls a lot) and aggro post-flop (48/16/2.9). Basically, if it's checked to him, he's almost always betting.Pre-flop:UTG raises to $9, 2 folds, Button calls, 1 fold, Cobalt callsFlop ($29): :jh:ts:4h (3 players)Cobalt bets $22, 1 fold, Button callsTurn ($73): :5c (2 players)Cobalt bets $56, Button callsRiver ($185): :qh (2 players)Cobalt checks, Button goes all-in for $294
I think any made hand that has us beaten is raising the turn. So, we can assume we were ahead on the turn, at the very least. Our river check almost makes our hand look like a whiffed AK that we abandon on the river, but if so, where's the value to the villain in shoving? ... unless he's whiffed, too ... You know, this hand almost plays like villain holds a 67 and put us on a mid-big pair ... But I think the villain's range is prob ... 88-QQ and 67, 78, flopped draws with low pairs... or air. I suppose you can put 33-77 in villain's range, but it's less likely and it played weird. I hate being a station. If I had seen villain pushing air or whiffed draws on checked rivers, I'd insta-call. If that play is not in his playbook, it's a fold.
as played I call tho it's kind of a weird hand. I'd expect an aggro player to raise OTF many of his whiffed holdings, like FDs and OESDs. Basically he needs 4x to win here (ok 98 too), can't see him shoving a better two pair / set, and I doubt he has it that much, maybe 44 or 45, but again I'd expect captain combo draw to raise it up otf. I know that's not necessary, as you're representing some strength by leading into the PFR on this coordinated board, so he could decide to take this to the river. His line makes no sense, w/virtually any hand given his playing style, so I prefer to err on the calling side and look him up. Since you know he's the type of player to try and steal pots, this would be a good spot for him to do so as you've now expressed some weakness.
I think i totally agree. I hate to have to call, but think we have to call. Hopefully he flips up his failed clubs or some combo of clubs with top pair or somesuch. Based on your read of this guy, if you think he's got that kind of push in his bag, I think the call pays off. If he pops you, take proper notes and buddy this guy and get it back later :club:

i insta call probably. He either has 4 or he doesnt. I doubt he pushes all in with the straight unless he has 84 or nut straight. Probably missed clubs more often than not. Possibly ac8c even?

Can we really include hands like A4s that isn't clubs in his range? Is he calling the turn with that?
Quite possible. My feeling is that the guy's not particularly good.As for the hand, I reflected and called. He showed Ac2c for a busted FD, and I took down the pot.

You checked to call, right? Or was it a check/decide? I think c/f is fine against some villains but I think you need to know which action you're taking before you check the river.

Yeah, I'm not snap calling this, but with that kind of AF, that kind of VPIP, and that kind of bet, I think it's a safe call. I think it's pretty safe to assume that you've coerced him to bluff the busted draw, I don't see too many people shoving a made straight or a set here. Two pair probably checks.

I think any made hand that has us beaten is raising the turn. So, we can assume we were ahead on the turn, at the very least. Our river check almost makes our hand look like a whiffed AK that we abandon on the river, but if so, where's the value to the villain in shoving? ... unless he's whiffed, too ... .....If I had seen villain pushing air or whiffed draws on checked rivers, I'd insta-call. If that play is not in his playbook, it's a fold.
He showed Ac2c for a busted FD, and I took down the pot.
AND, now we know.

I think your going to see 8x or busted clubs more often than 4x. He may sometimes be turning 7x into a bluff too. I would check/call but it's a gross spot for sure.If you check/called the river, I think you played every street perfectly.