Big Stack Tournament.

I am playing a big stack tournament this weekend. I've never played in a big stack tournament. The format is 8000 starting chips with 30 minute levels starting at 25/50. A couple of weeks ago, someone on here made mention of opening up one's starting requirements in big stacks and not playing as tight as in a regular tourney. Right now, I would say my limping hands in regular tournaments are all the low pairs, high suited connectors from late position, I raise with TT and better, I raise with ATs and better, I fold KJ and usually fold KQ and always fold high card/low card combos and low card connectors.Do I need to stick to this early in the tourney or do I need to open up a bit. If so, how much do I need to open up?

This isn't necessarily as deep as you're giving it credit for. You have an M of just over 100 to start, but what do the rest of the levels look like? 30 minutes is quick (2 rotations basically).

Need more info on structure.Having said that, never ever ever ever open limp, if it's folded to you with your "limping range" you should def be opening.

Need more info on structure.Having said that, never ever ever ever open limp, if it's folded to you with your "limping range" you should def be opening.
Perfectly fine to open limp UTG or UTG+1 with a small-mid PP at a full table.

You need to feel comfortably with your own game. Dont try to change the way you play when youre closer to the date.PLaying LAG at the begining and then TAG when the blinds are high is a good way to win!Maybe you can play Small Ball the first levels and then play tight, big bet poker. Try to do your best and have fun!

You need to feel comfortably with your own game. Dont try to change the way you play when youre closer to the date.PLaying LAG at the begining and then TAG when the blinds are high is a good way to win!Maybe you can play Small Ball the first levels and then play tight, big bet poker. Try to do your best and have fun!
LAG then TAG? Hmm.

I have been considering a planned bluff just to set a table image. Here's what I am considering. Assuming that I get no playable hands in the first three hands, without a raise in front of me on the fourth hand, I am going to raise no matter what I have. Then fire a cbet or a raise on the flop. I would like to have ideal conditions for this play but I think I could pull something off here. Where I would be hurt is if I made a marginal hand against a big hand. I think if I got caught in it, I could go to playing my regular ABC poker and be able to trap someone later on with a big hand.It is just a thought right now.Any advice?

Tournament poker isn't like planning D-Day. You shouldn't have a time scale setup in your mind for when the troops hit the beach. You need to play your game and adapt to the table as necessary.Also, if this is a tournament with a buy-in of anything less than about $1k, no one is going to pay attention to your image (especially 1 hand) anyway, so there's no reason to bluff off chips early.

Yet we pay attention when we are playing for $2 on the internet.I'm gonna give this a go. Maybe not necessarily on the 4th hand but during the first level for sure. It may get me in a lot of trouble but it will be with a hand that won't be a problem to fold if I run into Freddy Krueger.

So I was UTG+1 on the 4th hand with K9s and raised 3x. Got one caller and flopped a K. I bet and he folded. So it wasn't as dramatic as I had hoped for.I played pretty good in the tourney until I got a phone call about one of my employees that had been in motorcycle wreck and was close to death. That tilted me and I was pretty much dead in the water after that. I made a couple of good hands and then overplayed a semi bluff and was totally tilted and couldn't regain my composure. Went out 15th out of 33 with KQo in the bb against KK. My son was at the end of the table and said he could tell that I was not thinking straight. He said it was obvious that I was bluffing.I really have a problem getting away from bluffs and semibluffs in tournaments. I can lay it down in cash games but I let it tilt me in tournaments. I have to figure out a way to get that worked out. Without that phone call, I think I make the FT. After the call, at least half of my thoughts were about that employee. That's the breaks I guess.

So I was UTG+1 on the 4th hand with K9s and raised 3x. Got one caller and flopped a K. I bet and he folded. So it wasn't as dramatic as I had hoped for.I played pretty good in the tourney until I got a phone call about one of my employees that had been in motorcycle wreck and was close to death. That tilted me and I was pretty much dead in the water after that. I made a couple of good hands and then overplayed a semi bluff and was totally tilted and couldn't regain my composure. Went out 15th out of 33 with KQo in the bb against KK. My son was at the end of the table and said he could tell that I was not thinking straight. He said it was obvious that I was bluffing.I really have a problem getting away from bluffs and semibluffs in tournaments. I can lay it down in cash games but I let it tilt me in tournaments. I have to figure out a way to get that worked out. Without that phone call, I think I make the FT. After the call, at least half of my thoughts were about that employee. That's the breaks I guess.
Sorry that when you found out that one of your employees was suddenly near death it "tilted you". God forbid you leave the tournament and tend to his/her families needs.