Offensive Ps Screen Name?

I took offense to the screen name 'kike'. I am not interested in 'censoring' screen names, but I think that racial epithets are out of bounds, even if it is a 'nickname'. Here is my correspondence thus far with PS:*********************************> ----- Original Message -----> From: > Sent: 2009/06/01 12:15:05> To: support@pokerstars.com> Subject: > > >> >Hi. > >> > > >> >I writing to let you know that I take offence to the player name 'kike06',> as 'kike' is a derogatory reference to jewish people.> >> > > >> >Sincerely,*********************************** > Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:12:22 -0400> From: support@pokerstars.com> To: > Subject: PokerStars Support - User IDs> > Hello ,> > Thank you for your email and for taking time to report this matter.> > We are sorry you feel this way about these User IDs, however I can inform> you that "Kike" is a very common nickname for Enrique, Manrique and most> Latin names ending in 'ique' and in this case this is the reason for the> User ID.> > I am sorry if this is of an inconvenience to you.Please let us know if you> have any other questions and we will be more than happy to assist you further.> > Regards,> > Aura> PokerStars Support Team*****************************************************RE: PokerStars Support - User IDs‏From: Sent: June 1, 2009 1:27:20 PM To: support@pokerstars.com I understand your explanation, however I feel that it is a horrible choice to allow an anti-semitic slur to be deemed acceptable because it is a common nickname for people named Enrique. Better I suppose to offend an entire ethnic population than to inconvenience all of the Enriques and Manriques out there. Good thing too that 'nigg**' is not a popular latin nickname as that too would have to be deemed acceptable. Please forward this e-mail to your supervisor. Thanks. Your loyal customer, > > > >> >

I had an arguement about the same thing with PS over a nickname that involved "gyp" some how. I didn't even give a sht, I only reported teh guy out of spite, becauseh e sucked out on me or something in a tournament. But, after ps was unsympathetic to the slur, we went round and round and round about it, with me making the case for the indignity's of the romani people, just to win a dumb argument with PS support. I'm shocked about kike, however. I know dan druff got his chat banned once for using that word.

lol.lol at the 2nd email.And I lol with respect, because i get the point and if I cared at all about any of this "PC" shit in life, this would definitely bother me (not jewish FWIW).I mean my SN is MaxStPolish and after I put a smack down on a player, they'll often shoot out a anti-polish remark at me, even though my SN has nothing to do with Poland and it's inhabitants. So it goes.

if you're actually offended then i lol at you sir.lighten up.
I actually do not take offense easily and have never been one to complain about this sort of thing. This name however crosses a line, imho. Easy to dismiss I suppose when you are not the minority in question. Maybe I'm just bored today.

I'm not familiar with the term Kike, but how offensive is it? Is it in the same boat as the N word? I'm generally not a PC person, but I still don't use the N word (white FWIW, and I have black friends who don't rly care about the use of the word, but for some reason I still don't say it)

I'm not familiar with the term Kike, but how offensive is it? Is it in the same boat as the N word? I'm generally not a PC person, but I still don't use the N word (white FWIW, and I have black friends who don't rly care about the use of the word, but for some reason I still don't say it)
On par with the N word.

it's pronounced "kee kay" as a spanish nickname its just spelled the samei get a kick out of people that will rail on with racist slurs because i use the asian guy avatar on ftp calling you slope gook or chinksame as the people that call me fat because they assume that is why i have a newman avatar

it's pronounced "kee kay" as a spanish nickname its just spelled the samei get a kick out of people that will rail on with racist slurs because i use the asian guy avatar on ftp calling you slope gook or chinksame as the people that call me fat because they assume that is why i have a newman avatar
I'm just gonna drop it, but I would err on the side of inconveniencing all the 'kee kay's who spell their screen name 'kike'.
right!I also laff at ****** = n-word while kike = kike.Society is weird. Im against all hurtful words or terms........but what makes one word more hurtful, wherein society totally gaffes at it's use, even as a word in a sentence defaming it's use....whereas any other slur seems "ok" to use in such a fashion.
right!I also laff at ****** = n-word while kike = kike.Society is weird. Im against all hurtful words or terms........but what makes one word more hurtful, wherein society totally gaffes at it's use, even as a word in a sentence defaming it's use....whereas any other slur seems "ok" to use in such a fashion.
its tough, i'm old enough to be around before all the pc movement really caught on and you saw words become tabboo, i'm not sure which is better not using them, or more accurately only using them in secret or taking the line suggested by people like someone like taratino who thinks using it all the time takes it's power awaythe double standard problem arises too, if the word is so bad why do black people use it when talking to and about each other all the time, same as other races using slurs when taking to each other but getting offended when an outsider uses it, imo it is one or the other
I mean my SN is MaxStPolish and after I put a smack down on a player, they'll often shoot out a anti-polish remark at me, even though my SN has nothing to do with Poland and it's inhabitants. So it goes.
lol, I always read your name polish, as in nail polish. Thanks for clearing that up.
Its not the avatar that makes me think your fat. Its the daily decadent meals you eat and post in the "What Fcp is eating" thread :club:
Its not the avatar that makes me think your fat. Its the daily decadent meals you eat and post in the "What Fcp is eating" thread :club:
touche

Any form of racism seriously offends me and pisses me of as I was born just before the end of apatheid in South Africa and grew up around loads of racism. I mean its just not cool.But personally imho i dont think that this is a big deal. If his name was something more like, "KillTheKikes" or "HeilHitler777", then I would probably be pissed off. But Kike, not really cause it really does just sound like a nickname, sorta like "Kaka" the Brazilian football player or "Cafu" etc.

its tough, i'm old enough to be around before all the pc movement really caught on and you saw words become tabboo, i'm not sure which is better not using them, or more accurately only using them in secret or taking the line suggested by people like someone like taratino who thinks using it all the time takes it's power away
I would agree that using it all the time is better than only using them in secret/with friends.For example, I've three friends, one of which is black. One of the guys calls the black guy N-word (like wassup my N--) and stuff, but he does it in a totally non-offensive and affectionate way. The other guy doesn't mind at all as he is not offended by the term. I have another friend, who doesn't say the N-word much and practically never in public. One time, my black friend tripped him or jabbed him or summin, and the guy falls and goes "Ah shit, you fuking N--". IMO, the second case is waaaaaaay worse than the first case.I also think there's a case where a lot of people use it of ignorance as opposed to hatred. Ignorance is bad, but at least it is not quite hatred.

I'm not offended by much of anything, but I think it's pretty comical that PokerStars doesn't censor because it's a hispanic nickname. Well, my Danish nickname happens to be Jiggaboo Gookbeaner.. if only that had fit when I registerred my Stars account.