So about a month ago i put my car on consignment at a car dealership.We both signed a contract saying that I will get $2100 for my car and if they sell it for anything more than that , it's theres....pretty standard.So, About a week ago the dealership called me saying hey we have a buyer but we may have to jack down the price to make him really interested.He says can you take $1800 for it? I said i really had my heart set on 2500 1st of all, theres no way. He says ok how about 1900, I said ok the absolute minimum i can sell it for is 2000, that is it.He says ok I'll try to get you 2000 for it.I say ok give me a call back bye.So get this, 2 days ago i saw my car driving down the street and im like WTF? I proceed to follow him and pull up to him and tell him to roll down his window. I Yell " hey are you on a test drive"? he replies no! i bought this car a week ago.So im like wtf why didn't the dealership tell me my car is sold! I head overthere immediately and walk in the place and say i just saw my car down the road! whats going on!He says i thought i told you that i sold it. I say the last time i talked to you is when you told me you'll try to get me 2K for it.He says oh it must have been a mis understanding, yes i sold it last week. I ask him for how much, he says 2600.So im like ok so i still get the 2100? he says no you agreed on 2000. we had a verbal contract.I was like all i said is i can accept 2000 minimum for it. Is that a legaly binding? he says yes i took your word for it.So heres my question, What stands? the contract that we signed saying i get 2100 my car, OR saying over the phone that i would be willing to take 2000 for it.Thanks in advance!

you should be getting 2100. this guy is a scumbag. you could take him to small claims court....but it might not be worth it over a hundred bucks.my advice would be take the 2000 and remember never to do business with that guy again and tell everyone you know that this person is not to be trusted.

you should be getting 2100. this guy is a scumbag. you could take him to small claims court....but it might not be worth it over a hundred bucks.my advice would be take the 2000 and remember never to do business with that guy again and tell everyone you know that this person is not to be trusted.
I completely disagree. to me it would be worth the entire 2 grand to make sure this fuck pays the extra hundred. to me, regular math doesn't work in a situation that involves principles. at least tell him you know that he owes you the hundred and you're getting a lawyer.
Whats the name of the dealership Mark? Sound like shady dudes.
Mt paul auto sales, the one on the northshore across from red sea auto sales & behind 7 11
I completely disagree. to me it would be worth the entire 2 grand to make sure this fuck pays the extra hundred. to me, regular math doesn't work in a situation that involves principles. at least tell him you know that he owes you the hundred and you're getting a lawyer.
Yeah i should really do that. The thing is im going to vegas in 3 days and i don´t have alot of money to take with me. So getting this 2 grand right now would be sweet.If i do get a lawyer and try to get this extra 100 , i may not get it in time for Vegas.so hmmmmmmmmm
I'd take an ice pick to all the tires in his lot.or thisand his daughter.
lol yah a 100$ worth of damage to his property could be in order .
I proceed to follow him and pull up to him and tell him to roll down his window.
I would not have rolled down my window for you for what it's worth.Messed up the guy didnt even call you in the first place that he sold the car and even more messed up he is stealing $100 from ya.This situation reminds me a little bit of the scene from Liar Liar with a little different context, but the same basic principle ....Fletcher: You scratched my car!Motorpool Guy: Where?Fletcher: [indicating with his hands] Right there!Motorpool Guy: OH... That was already there.Fletcher: You - -LIAR! You know what I am going to do about this?Motorpool Guy: what?Fletcher: Nothing! Because if I take it to small claims court, it will just drain 8 hours out of my life and you probably won't show up and even if I got the judgment you'd just stiff me anyway; so what I am going to do is piss and moan like an impotent jerk, and then bend over and take it up the tailpipe!Motorpool Guy: [tossing the keys to Fletcher] You've been here before haven't ya?
Any effort you spend trying to get the extra $100 is not going to be worth $100. Life lesson: sell the car yourself on Craig's list next time, or just take what you get from the scum you hired to sell it.
This. The cost to get a lawyer to go after him for an extra $100 could end up costing you the $2K. Not worth it at all. $100 is pretty cheap for a lesson on contracts.
This. The cost to get a lawyer to go after him for an extra $100 could end up costing you the $2K. Not worth it at all. $100 is pretty cheap for a lesson on contracts.
LOLEXACTLY. Contract lessons are rarely this cheap in the grown-up world. Just sayin.

So is this guy the owner of the place? If not take it up with his boss and try to get him fired.If he is the owner, I would just take the $2,000 and then get the word on the street that he is a lousy dealer and tries to rip people off. Do you still have a copy of the contract? Get copies of that and then get copies of the check that shows that you only got 2K and post it everywhere around the auto dealer. I actually saw a guy once doing this. It was for a repair bill, but he had one of those carboard cutouts around himself and he had a megaphone and while people were driving by the dealership he was yelling into it saying how they ripped him off and how crappy of a dealership they were.

This guy took a half a semester of biz law and latched onto an idea to try and screw people. I'm assuming you have the original agreement in writing? If not, you can pretty much disregard everything from this point forward.When he says you have a verbal contract tell him to prove it. If he says he taped you agreeing to the new terms he better have notified you that all conversations are recorded. If not, the tape (if it even really exists) will most likely be inadmissable in any legal action and could open him up to an additional suit. When he realizes you are going to be a way bigger pain in the ass than a c-note he my just give up the extra cheddar.

what would Quagmire do?
fuck his wife
and his daughter.
Make a sandwich board sign saying "Mt. paul auto sales are rip-off artists " and walk on the city sidewalk infront of the business. My guess is they will settle with you within the hour. Watchout for rabid crackheads.

So the guy says, "I'll sell your car, and then give you 2100." Then, a few days later, he calls back and says, "Hey, I am only going to give you 2000?" What the eff? If you have a copy of the contract, you're good. Take it to him, show him, and tell him to give you 2100. If he refuses, you just do what Hank said. "Listen, I don't know what's going on, but I have a contract here that says you owe me 2100 dollars. If you want to dispute that, fine, we can go to court, but neither one of us is going to win. The difference is, I don't give a flying fuck. So you can give me 2100 now and I'll leave you alone, or you can try to screw me out of 100 bucks, and I'll just make you miserable."

This guy took a half a semester of biz law and latched onto an idea to try and screw people. I'm assuming you have the original agreement in writing? If not, you can pretty much disregard everything from this point forward.When he says you have a verbal contract tell him to prove it. If he says he taped you agreeing to the new terms he better have notified you that all conversations are recorded. If not, the tape (if it even really exists) will most likely be inadmissable in any legal action and could open him up to an additional suit. When he realizes you are going to be a way bigger pain in the ass than a c-note he my just give up the extra cheddar.
This depends on the state in which you discussed the terms while you were on the phone.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_recording_laws

Yeah i´ll probably just say **** it and take the 2K. If i weren´t going to vegas this saturday i would definently try to take the extra 100. But since i probably won´t get it sorted out in time, i´ll just let it go.But next time i will be a tough nail and won´t take that kind of shit.thanks for the advice everyone.