Major Evolutionary Finding Published

Evolution vs not-evolution  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about evolution?

• It's an extensively proven scientific theory.
    • It's just a theory - and it's wrong.
    • I'm not entirely sure, but I lean towards evolution.
    • I'm not entirely sure, but I lean towards creationism.
  2. 2. What do you think of findings like this one?

• If it proves to be real, it is another piece in the puzzle of where we came from.
    • Sure it's probably the remains of a long dead animal, but so what?
    • I'm unsure.
  3. 3. The fossil has been dated to 47 million years old. Do you believe this is accurate?

• Probably, plus or minus as much as 10% maybe.
    • Laughable. More like 5,000 years old, probably.
    • Unsure.

Good luck telling them that. Good luck telling you that.
good luck telling you anything, but you'd be shocked at the impact public science education and the science vs. bible debate is havingnation-wide. at the current rate it will only take a few generations for bible-believing fundamentalist christianity to become afringe cult. if the expansion of rational thinking about the bible gains even more momentum than it already has that couldconceivably happen in your lifetime.
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha... well now what do we do? I guess make fun of Lois?
I think I already did that in this thread, and I don't like to make too much fun of Lois at once.That'd be like writing a bad review of the musical Rent put on by a school for the autistic. I do have a question, however:
I know faith. Many of you have it, you just hate to call it that. You are as blinded by your pre-conceived notions as any of the faithful could ever hope to be. Good luck telling them that. Good luck telling you that.
I know you said "many of you", so you might not be including me in your statement, but I'd love to know what faith I have.If you mean we all make some sort of assumptions, fine. Like, as I think I've explained here before, I have "faith" a bridge won't collapse as I cross it. That's how I am able to cross bridges. That isn't faith though, it is a reasonable assumption founded in statistics, observation, logic, reason and experience. It doesn't exist despite a lack of all this.Or are you talking about some other sort of "faith" that you are trying to equivocate me in to?If you mean to say you think I have some sort of faith.
I know faith. Many of you have it, you just hate to call it that. You are as blinded by your pre-conceived notions as any of the faithful could ever hope to be. Good luck telling them that. Good luck telling you that.
I don't think faith == "blinded by preconceived notions". I agree with you that most of us have thoughts that are so worn over that we are unlikely to change them; we are stubborn and tend not to question things we have decided long ago. But faith in the religious sense of the word goes beyond that. Faith in this context is a belief that admits of no requirement to follow the evidence. A belief based on faith need not be backed up by any logic, reasoning, or data. As stubborn as I may be in many of my positions, I can generate them from reason, and require myself to do so. A faithful believer tosses this requirement out the window. That's where part of the frustration comes in many of these discussions: religious-minded people tend to engage in playing tennis with the net up for a while, making reasoned arguments and speaking as if logic were important, but then at some point in the discussion we find we are suddenly playing without the net; logic and reason simply are not accepted as rules any more once the faith card has been played.
I know faith. Many of you have it, you just hate to call it that.
You don't understand anything about science. You can't, if you equate it to believing in any specific religion.
tyty. You really are too kind. I do like the fact that in your mind the god you worship will torture your grandparents for an eternity in hell. Great guy. Makes you want to tithe a little more, huh? You have faith in a god whose ethics are below that of Hitler. Hitler wouldn't have tortured your grandparents forever, but your god would.
Sad, but true.
I don't think faith == "blinded by preconceived notions". I agree with you that most of us have thoughts that are so worn over that we are unlikely to change them; we are stubborn and tend not to question things we have decided long ago. But faith in the religious sense of the word goes beyond that. Faith in this context is a belief that admits of no requirement to follow the evidence. A belief based on faith need not be backed up by any logic, reasoning, or data. As stubborn as I may be in many of my positions, I can generate them from reason, and require myself to do so. A faithful believer tosses this requirement out the window. That's where part of the frustration comes in many of these discussions: religious-minded people tend to engage in playing tennis with the net up for a while, making reasoned arguments and speaking as if logic were important, but then at some point in the discussion we find we are suddenly playing without the net; logic and reason simply are not accepted as rules any more once the faith card has been played.
Faith, theory, proof, evidence. All have different meanings in a theistic context vs a scientific one. Despite having it explained over and over theists insist on using the linguistic grey areas to give their arguments the appearance of substance.So one more time for the people in the back row...Assumptions != FaithHypothesis != Theory Circular logic != ProofScripture != EvidenceAs to the OP it is interesting, but as Henry pointed out it is more media hype than massive break through.This -> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2022...tory-slime.html is a lot more significant IMHO and has nicely slipped under the radar. Abiogenisis seems to avoid the attention that evolution attracts. (sorry for the hijack Tim)
I have a laodicean view of this topic.
Wasn't that the last word of the spelling bee this year?
Wasn't that the last word of the spelling bee this year?
Was it? I use that word all the time in casual conversation, so that would be an amazing coincidence.
Brvheart, you may want to duck. Jokes flying overhead.
Whatever Loogie... I knew the whole time. *brvheart shifts about nervously, quickly glancing side to side*
tyty. You really are too kind. I do like the fact that in your mind the god you worship will torture your grandparents for an eternity in hell. Great guy. Makes you want to tithe a little more, huh? You have faith in a god whose ethics are below that of Hitler. Hitler wouldn't have tortured your grandparents forever, but your god would. I find you personally offensive and my tone in these posts makes it apparent. I am not trying to be your friend. I truly believe what you and other believers like you do is bad for society. Yes, I get angry about it. And it comes across in my posts, which drip with sarcasm. How the hell else can I argue against an eternal soul and a personal god? Logic is obviously out the window for you already. You believe in a soul with a personality, and yet you have no explanation for personality changes due to brain injuries. I truly hate the god you worship, and thankfully, I am still able to voice my opinion without fear of lynching, so I will continue to do so. If you think I am too hard on you, get over it. You think I am a troll, I get it. I think you are ignorant and mentally deficient, while at the same time, being condescending to unbelievers. Which is even funnier, since you wear it like a badge of honor.
Bwahahaha!! Who tithes? Heathen. Grandmas deal is her deal. It's not like my mom didn't try. It would be dishonest of me to try and give her a pass. BTW, Christ was personally offensive, that's why they killed him. So, thanks.
Bwahahaha!! Who tithes? Heathen. Grandmas deal is her deal. It's not like my mom didn't try. It would be dishonest of me to try and give her a pass. BTW, Christ was personally offensive, that's why they killed him. So, thanks.
I disagree with this. Christ is completely the opposite of 'personally offensive'. They killed him because he was bucking the status quo, and people were starting to leave Judaism and follow him.
actually no, no it's not.
Oh, sorry, in Fantasyland god send almost everyone down to be tortured for all of eternity by the devil. So not only is he needy, he's afraid to get his hands dirty.
Oh, sorry, in Fantasyland god send almost everyone down to be tortured for all of eternity by the devil. So not only is he needy, he's afraid to get his hands dirty.
Yeah, that's it exactly :club:
This isn't Biblical.
actually no, no it's not.
Yeah, that's it exactly :club:
Please feel free to articulate any reasons you may have for your positions. It is sort of difficult to engage in meaningful discussion when you make only bare conclusory statements.
Please feel free to articulate any reasons you may have for your positions. It is sort of difficult to engage in meaningful discussion when you make only bare conclusory statements.
I didn't have much to work with, given the amount of thought put into the posts that I was responding to.
I disagree with this. Christ is completely the opposite of 'personally offensive'. They killed him because he was bucking the status quo, and people were starting to leave Judaism and follow him.
I suppose this depends on what one takes personal.