Flying With A Dog

this seems like a good a place as any to ask, i guess...my gf and i (and our two cats) will be moving from buffalo to northern saskatchewan this august, and we're unsure of the best/safest way to get the cats there. we had planned on flying them there with my gf while i make the multi-day drive, but that seems more than a little unsafe after reading everything here so far. if all else fails, i suppose that we can drive them and try to sneak them into hotels, since their safety is of more concern to us than money/ease, but if anyone has any better thoughts, fire away.
two suggestions...drive through the states if you are driving a truck with your stuff in it and you are less than 100% sure of your driving! two if you are bringing the cats with, just find BandB's I stayed in them all the way to Edmonton when i moved there, pets will usually be allowed.Ira
this seems like a good a place as any to ask, i guess...my gf and i (and our two cats) will be moving from buffalo to northern saskatchewan this august, and we're unsure of the best/safest way to get the cats there. we had planned on flying them there with my gf while i make the multi-day drive, but that seems more than a little unsafe after reading everything here so far. if all else fails, i suppose that we can drive them and try to sneak them into hotels, since their safety is of more concern to us than money/ease, but if anyone has any better thoughts, fire away.
Pets are allowed at MANY hotels now. Some have a 25 pound limit, but unless you have a tiger, that won't be a problem. La Quinta is great with their pet policy, btw.... not sure if there are La Quinta's in Canada though.
How multi-day is the drive? Depending on how they are in the car, you could dope them up at least a bit. When I drove my cat from phoenix to chicago he was relatively stoned and happy the whole way.
How multi-day is the drive? Depending on how they are in the car, you could dope them up at least a bit. When I drove my cat from phoenix to chicago he was relatively stoned and happy the whole way.
If you go this route (which I highly recommend), don't get prozac or whatever from your vet... give them benadryl. It's just as effective, safer, and way cheaper. Dosing for a cat is .25-.5 mg/lb (not sure what that is in Canadian), and the tabs most commonly come in 25mg tabs.
If you go this route (which I highly recommend), don't get prozac or whatever from your vet... give them benadryl. It's just as effective, safer, and way cheaper. Dosing for a cat is .25-.5 mg/lb (not sure what that is in Canadian), and the tabs most commonly come in 25mg tabs.
It's definitely cheaper.

My wife and I flew our pug (20lbs) from Miami to Newark when he was still a puppy and it went fine. It was expensive and we did drug him so he would not freak out on the plane.Make sure you bring wee wee pads with you so you can get the dog to pee before the flight. If you fly with a dog, make sure it is a non stop flight.

bookmarked, thanks!
it's about 2 full days to saskatoon, then five hours straight north. it's also worth saying that both of our cats shit like machines, upwards of 5-6 times a day each.
hmm, you sure? i know that most human sleeping pills are just benadryl, basically, but i really want to make sure that anything we'd be giving our cats would be 100% safe. you're a veterinarian, right?
My wife and I flew our pug (20lbs) from Miami to Newark when he was still a puppy and it went fine. It was expensive and we did drug him so he would not freak out on the plane.Make sure you bring wee wee pads with you so you can get the dog to pee before the flight. If you fly with a dog, make sure it is a non stop flight.
isnt a 20 pound pug puppy kinda big?or am i wrong?
bookmarked, thanks!it's about 2 full days to saskatoon, then five hours straight north. it's also worth saying that both of our cats shit like machines, upwards of 5-6 times a day each.hmm, you sure? i know that most human sleeping pills are just benadryl, basically, but i really want to make sure that anything we'd be giving our cats would be 100% safe. you're a veterinarian, right?
Definitely not a vet, but I rescue and rehab dogs with all sorts of issues; benadryl is my best friend. My 10 year old Rottie mix was chained up during Hurricane Katrina, and she freaks out when it's raining 20 miles away. The benadryl calms her down, and has absolutely zero side effects. It's not quite as effective as prozac, but as long as your cats aren't completely insane, I'd go with the benadryl. If you trust your vet, call and ask about using benadryl... if you don't really have a relationship with your vet, I can ask mine, just let me know.
isnt a 20 pound pug puppy kinda big?or am i wrong?
well when he was 3 months old he was 9lbs. By 9 months old (when we flew with him) he was about 18lbs which is normal. I think the term puppy is kinda vague. It is supposed to apply until they are 2 years old or so but most people think of babies when you say puppy.
it's about 2 full days to saskatoon, then five hours straight north. it's also worth saying that both of our cats shit like machines, upwards of 5-6 times a day each.
Cats are good at holding it. They'd be fine as long as you didn't drive more than 8-10 hours a day and then immediately let them out in the hotel room with the litter box. Feeding them a bit less than usual for 4-5 days leading up to the drive couldn't hurt either.
hmm, you sure? i know that most human sleeping pills are just benadryl, basically, but i really want to make sure that anything we'd be giving our cats would be 100% safe. you're a veterinarian, right?
Talk to your vet. All you have to do is call...they'll most likely either recommend benedryl or prescribe something
The benadryl calms her down, and has absolutely zero side effects. It's not quite as effective as prozac, but as long as your cats aren't completely insane, I'd go with the benadryl.
It wouldn't be prozac, that actually takes days/weeks to build up in the system and become effective. Plus that's more of a behavior modification thing than it is a sedative. But that's neither here nor there, I guess.As for the benadryl, it's not nearly as effective in cats as a sedative as it is for dogs (even though it's still good for allergies in cats). They're really very different animals physiologically...much more so than I ever realized before I got into animal male nursing. I wouldn't recommend giving cat advice based on your dog experience. Anyway checky, the final answer really is to talk to the vet. Maybe they'll tell you to just give them benadryl, but a legit sedative would probably be much more effective, even if you try benadryl the first day and only go to the hard stuff if it's absolutely necessary.
Cats are good at holding it. They'd be fine as long as you didn't drive more than 8-10 hours a day and then immediately let them out in the hotel room with the litter box. Feeding them a bit less than usual for 4-5 days leading up to the drive couldn't hurt either.Talk to your vet. All you have to do is call...they'll most likely either recommend benedryl or prescribe somethingIt wouldn't be prozac, that actually takes days/weeks to build up in the system and become effective. Plus that's more of a behavior modification thing than it is a sedative. But that's neither here nor there, I guess.As for the benadryl, it's not nearly as effective in cats as a sedative as it is for dogs (even though it's still good for allergies in cats). They're really very different animals physiologically...much more so than I ever realized before I got into animal male nursing. I wouldn't recommend giving cat advice based on your dog experience. Anyway checky, the final answer really is to talk to the vet. Maybe they'll tell you to just give them benadryl, but a legit sedative would probably be much more effective, even if you try benadryl the first day and only go to the hard stuff if it's absolutely necessary.
Solid advice.If I was traveling with a cat, I'd be able to bring 10 pounds less of dog food.

Speaking of dogsmy german shepherd starting crying like he's in pain. and he won't lay down or sit on commandhe first showed signs when I nudged him in the hind quarters, he let out a little yelpHe's always been fed Nutro for big dogs because sheperds have hip problemsSo I took him outside and brushed him and he didn't yelp once, nor did he yelp when I rubbed him to check for where it hurt.He peed okay, and all the older stools look firm and no diarrheaBut he does lay down when tired, gets up kind of slow but not real slow, and he trotted when someone walking their dog by the gate caught his attention.Any other ideas besides hip problems?he's about 7, we got him from a rescue so no idea his true age, but close to 7

my german shepherd starting crying like he's in pain. and he won't lay down or sit on commandhe first showed signs when I nudged him in the hind quarters, he let out a little yelpAny other ideas besides hip problems?he's about 7, we got him from a rescue so no idea his true age, but close to 7
So it begins (7 is prime age for this to come up)...it's probably arthritis, whether it's hips, knees, back, etc. Get used to the idea that he'll need to be on meds for the rest of his life if you want to properly control his (almost certainly) ongoing pain issues. My money would be on your vet doing a blood panel and then putting him on Rimadyl and maybe Tramadol for the really bad days when it comes to that. If you want to save a few bucks, see if they can just do an NSAID panel to make sure he's ok to go on the meds instead of the full workup.Or maybe he just tweaked something and will be fine tomorrow.

checky:My inlaws have a 12 year old sht tzu and he takes bendryl daily for alergies...don't worry about it it'll be good for ur mental health when driving

checky:My inlaws have a 12 year old sht tzu and he takes bendryl daily for alergies...don't worry about it it'll be good for ur mental health when driving
sigh
So it begins (7 is prime age for this to come up)...it's probably arthritis, whether it's hips, knees, back, etc. Get used to the idea that he'll need to be on meds for the rest of his life if you want to properly control his (almost certainly) ongoing pain issues. My money would be on your vet doing a blood panel and then putting him on Rimadyl and maybe Tramadol for the really bad days when it comes to that. If you want to save a few bucks, see if they can just do an NSAID panel to make sure he's ok to go on the meds instead of the full workup.Or maybe he just tweaked something and will be fine tomorrow.
Thanks. I didnt' want to start a new thread etc, but I knew you would have a good handle on things.Hey in order to look cool when I tell the vet I just want a NSAID panel I should probably learn how to say it.Is it: EN-SADEor N-SAYEDor N SAYEED? like the guy from Lost?
Thanks. I didnt' want to start a new thread etc, but I knew you would have a good handle on things.Hey in order to look cool when I tell the vet I just want a NSAID panel I should probably learn how to say it.
it's pronounced "ock-see"
Thanks. I didnt' want to start a new thread etc, but I knew you would have a good handle on things.Hey in order to look cool when I tell the vet I just want a NSAID panel I should probably learn how to say it.Is it: EN-SADEor N-SAYEDor N SAYEED? like the guy from Lost?
I'd recommend going with N-S-A-I-D, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug.We have a 10 year old rottweiler with arthritis and hip issues, and she's on prevacox. I think it's fairly expensive, but I'm not sure because we get it free since we adopted her through an older pet program. Not that cost is relevant to you.
en-said
I'd recommend going with N-S-A-I-D, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug.
Well, they'd know what you were talking about, but the way it's said in animal hospitals is like I wrote above.
Not that cost is relevant to you.
Oh, I forgot about this.BG, if it does become chronic...and I know this might sound ridiculous...but you might want to look into therapy laser treatments. We got a laser a few months ago, and I shit you not, it's been fantastic for older dogs with arthritis. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with mine own two eyeses. But that's hopefully pretty far down the road for you, if it ever even comes to that.
Speaking of dogsmy german shepherd starting crying like he's in pain. and he won't lay down or sit on commandhe first showed signs when I nudged him in the hind quarters, he let out a little yelpHe's always been fed Nutro for big dogs because sheperds have hip problemsSo I took him outside and brushed him and he didn't yelp once, nor did he yelp when I rubbed him to check for where it hurt.He peed okay, and all the older stools look firm and no diarrheaBut he does lay down when tired, gets up kind of slow but not real slow, and he trotted when someone walking their dog by the gate caught his attention.Any other ideas besides hip problems?he's about 7, we got him from a rescue so no idea his true age, but close to 7
Hey BG...I am so sorry that your dog is in pain.My sister is a licensed physical therapist. A few years ago, she got certified in physical therapy for dogs. To this day she wishes she knew what she knows know 10 years ago because my parents had a German Sheppard. She is confident that she could have treated their dog and alleviated most if not all of his pain.Here is my sister's site: http://www.southpawrehab.com/She has some links on there that may be of help but you may want to see if you can find a canine physical therapist in your area.