I'm Mad At Daniel Negreanu

I'm actually reading Daniel's book and i first thought that small ball was a great strategy in tourney and that it could be use in cash games too. the fact is i lost 1/3 of my bankroll in less than 3 days.Generally i start to double my buy-in (or more) and finally lose it all when i limp with Aces, just call and the flop and a donk outdraw me. I use to start a very tight and agressive game and i won a lot of money (at micro stakes). Now that i'm trying to follow this technique, i feel seriously depressed and i'm on tilt every time i lose my buy in. I even insulted a guy in the chat because i was angry.Ok, i realize that you have to be a good poker player if you want to play this way, and i also know i'm not Daniel Negreanu. But now i feel lost : should i just play ABC poker, raising with good gands, reraise with monster hand and folding with nothing? Or should i try continue to play this way but more carefully?I feel like small ball only works for like 10 pro players in the world, and that other average players who give it a try will finally lose everything they have.So after i was at $150 (started with $18 40 days ago) i'm back to $90 and will have to play at $0.02 again.....fawk. That sucks. I feel like i should play all day long trying to get my money back, but i know it isn't the solution.The stupid thing if i think i was a winning player when i was more predictable, now that i'm trying to mix my game up , i probably played too much marginal hands or get called when i have nothing by a donk who have pocket tens when there's a straight and flush draw on the board.I don't know if you guys have any advices or tips (or maybe Daniel if he reads this post) because i don't know what the *** i should do.ps : no offense Daniel, i'm just mad at myself. I really like you as a poker player and your book is just great.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh boy , that damn canadian, make him pay you back , i think he has the moneyactually i think the key might be in where u said " i am reading his book", i am on my second go round - give it a full read and then do it again

On page 137, it specifically states "Small ball approach is for North America only. European and other countries fail due to the overinflated exchange rate." Please read more carefully next time.

On page 137, it specifically states "Small ball approach is for North America only. European and other countries fail due to the overinflated exchange rate." Please read more carefully next time.
LOL. Maybe i missed something because i'm reading it in English. What's the meaning of "folding"?
oh boy , that damn canadian
yeah, damn Canadian...he can't even write in French!Daniel, You own me $80 ($50 that i lost playing small ball + $30 for your book).
Smallball only makes your penis look bigger, doesn't make you any better at poker.
My penis is already huge enough bro..
So small ball = Limping with aces and not folding post flop? I had no idea it was so simple. Definitely only use that in tourneys.
i would say that is a byproduct of having small balls but somebody already used that pun.
That's gotta stop. People start doing this, and the whole tone of the internets will change. No anger in the tubes, man.
we have a winnah!!!!!!!!/thread

Daniel's strategy I'm sure only works at deepstack tournaments. At the stakes you were/are playing, just make hands and value bet. Don't try to get cute at micro-stakes most don't know what fold means.

So small ball = Limping with aces and not folding post flop? I had no idea it was so simple. Definitely only use that in tourneys.
That's not what i've said. I said i limped with aces, then i called a raise instead of reraising and i finally been outdrawned (sp?).With my old style game, i'd have raised (or reraised pre flop) and with a caller i'd have reraised him and the flop and won the pot.So not making big raise, limping and trying to trapped another player could be very costly.
in fetish land, the strappazon stallions are human females dressed up as male horses.
// Double end thread x 1 brazillion
Daniel's strategy I'm sure only works at deepstack tournaments. At the stakes you were/are playing, just make hands and value bet. Don't try to get cute at micro-stakes most don't know what fold means.
The truth.

Sorry to hear your experiment with Small Ball was not a success. :icon_hand:A few weeks ago I entered a $55 entry fee Satellite for the FTOPS on FullTiltPoker tournament, 6-handed, specifically determined to use Small Ball :5c on a regular and active basis. It was an active test because I usually get snuffed :qh in these events because the players tend to be quite good with multiple thousand dollar bills hanging from the branches of the final table. :3h 207 players with ten $1,068 prizes to be won. Admittedly my first table was a little passive and there was some luckbox hands to factor in, but nothing really major. Man oh man, the Small Ball just works! When the opposition got tougher in the last quarter of the tournament, I was more selective and raised a little less, but continued a small ball theme.It felt weird to bet 2.5 x BB like, all the time, and hammer away at the weaker players, backing off when you get action ... but I cannot argue with the result.I won :club: ... so take heart ... eventually it will click for you.For any readers wishing to cure their insomnia ... two horrificly long Blog posts of Small Ball in action can be found in my Blog.Yah, yah, I know, it sounds like a brag post :4h , but this win was a while ago.Also, the fact of the matter is the reason I am winning tournaments like this once in a while is because I follow FullContactPoker and read the insightful commentary posted here. :ts FullContactPoker gets some credit (but you don't get a cut :D )

strap, straight-forward tight-aggressive play gets the money at the stakes you're playing. No need to get tricky.

should i just play ABC poker, raising with good gands, reraise with monster hand and folding with nothing?
I think we found the hole in your game. :club: