In Your Opinion...

1.) If you had to choose two books (one novice, and one advanced) for NL Hold'em tournament strategy, as your must read for any aspiring poker player. What would they be, and why?2.) If you had to choose two books (one novice, and one advanced) for NL Hold'em cash game strategy, as your must read for any aspiring poker player. What would they be, and why?Thanks!Bonus: If there is some other must have source of information that was esential for your game. What was it, and why?-Don

1.) If you had to choose two books (one novice, and one advanced) for NL Hold'em tournament strategy, as your must read for any aspiring poker player. What would they be, and why?2.) If you had to choose two books (one novice, and one advanced) for NL Hold'em cash game strategy, as your must read for any aspiring poker player. What would they be, and why?Thanks!Bonus: If there is some other must have source of information that was esential for your game. What was it, and why?-Don
The first books to read are by David Sklansky, "The Theory of Poker" and "Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players" (Also with Mason Malmuth). Those two are essential, but relatively basic if you've been playing for a little while.For tournament poker, Sklansky's "Tournament Poker for Advanced Players" is an ABSOLUTE MUST. Some of the concepts are pretty basic, but all of them are essential to understanding proper tournament play, and the differences between it and live play.For some advanced strategy, I'd go with Dan Harrington. His "Harrington on Hold 'Em" series is damn good for tournament poker, and his "Harrington on Cash Games" series is solid for cash games.Reading your other post on the small tourney you play (3-4 tables, no fold em), go get Sklansky's tourney book first. That should help your results drastically, where as the Harrington tourney books focus more on higher buy in tourneys with more competent players, rather than general concepts.

1) Harrington on Hold Em Volume 1 by Dan Harrington, Harrington on Hold Em Volume 2 by Dab Harrington. They're both very good books with important concepts that you need to understand if you want to win tourneys.2) Super System II and Theory of POker. Same as above exept for cash games.I will say though that in my opinion books will only take you like 10% of the way to becoming a good poker player. The only way you can become very good is by seeing as many hands as you can and gaining expierence. Eventually, if you play for long enough and see enough hands, you will know what to do in almost every situation.

Books are overrated IMO. Much better value in joining a training site like deucescracked. As far as books go http://www.thepokerpuzzle.com/A bit expensive but lotta good stuff in the book. It really makes you think about poker and players ranges. Instead of "This is a good board to cbet", this book goes deeper into what happened preflop? What is his range for calling your raise preflop? what part of that range is going to call a cbet? what part of that range is going to fold to a 2barrel and so on. Edit: Also comes with 2 hours of coaching. There is also a discussion thread where you can ask questions or w/e and Oliver will answer along with other owners of the book.http://www.deucescracked.com/forums/28-Sec...amp;per_page=15

The Poker Mindset for both cash and tournament. Great read and really helps out on all levels. Harrington on Cash Games. Vol 1 and 2. Tourney - for beginners I'd read Kill Phil. Its great when you're starting out just don't get stuck in its methodology as you improve. For advanced players I'd recomment Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced PlayersAs a general note: if you haven't read Super System do so now.Edit - I respectfully disagree that books are not helpful in the long run. Yes experience is important but books help point out where you are going wrong in your 10k hands.

for tournaments, phil gordon little black book, and little green book, I like them a lotfor cash games there's only one and the greatest one, Doyle Brunson's Super System (i have the second coz the limit hold em is more up to date than in the first and there's a chapter on PLO...and many other games but the chapter of NLH worth for the price of the book)and 2 good complements to your poker library, Poker Mindset and the Daniel Negreanu power hold'em strategy, for cash games and tourneysand joining a training site also helps my game a lot.

1) Harrington on Hold Em Volume 1 by Dan Harrington, Harrington on Hold Em Volume 2 by Dab Harrington. They're both very good books with important concepts that you need to understand if you want to win tourneys.2) Super System II and Theory of POker. Same as above exept for cash games.I will say though that in my opinion books will only take you like 10% of the way to becoming a good poker player. The only way you can become very good is by seeing as many hands as you can and gaining expierence. Eventually, if you play for long enough and see enough hands, you will know what to do in almost every situation.
I have Theory of Poker by Sklansky, and I think I'll dip into it a little bit. When I first got it though, it was quite overwhelming, so I knew it was an advanced book. You seem to have a liking to Harrington's books. What are your thoughts on his two books on cash games (vol I & II)? I thought about getting them the other day.Also, what are the differences between SS I, and SS II?
for tournaments, phil gordon little black book, and little green book, I like them a lotfor cash games there's only one and the greatest one, Doyle Brunson's Super System (i have the second coz the limit hold em is more up to date than in the first and there's a chapter on PLO...and many other games but the chapter of NLH worth for the price of the book)and 2 good complements to your poker library, Poker Mindset and the Daniel Negreanu power hold'em strategy, for cash games and tourneysand joining a training site also helps my game a lot.
I have Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, and Little Blue Book, and I really enjoyed those too. What does Phil touch on in the Little Blck Book that he doesn't touch on in his other books?How does Daniel Negreanu's Power Hold'em Strategy differ from his Hold'em Wisdom for All Players & More Hold'em Wisdom for All Players? (I have both of these)Is Daniel's PokerVT a training site? If not, what is a good one in your opinion.
1.) If you had to choose two books (one novice, and one advanced) for NL Hold'em tournament strategy, as your must read for any aspiring poker player. What would they be, and why?
(Novice) Dan Harrington's famous NL Holdem Tournament set(Advance) Kill Everyone by Lee Nelson, Tysen
2.) If you had to choose two books (one novice, and one advanced) for NL Hold'em cash game strategy, as your must read for any aspiring poker player. What would they be, and why?
(Novice) Professional No Limit By Ed, Mark, Sunny(Advanced) Still looking
(Novice) Dan Harrington's famous NL Holdem Tournament set(Advance) Kill Everyone by Lee Nelson, Tysen(Novice) Professional No Limit By Ed, Mark, Sunny(Advanced) Still looking
How many books are in the Dan Harrington NL Hold'em Tournament set, and what are their titles? Just so I know what exactly to look for. I've noticed that a lot of poker players seem to like Harrington's work.
For NL cash games I think the best print book out there is Professional No Limit Holdem.
Who's the author?
this is the least debatable sentence in this thread.
LMFAO!!! Does that mean that sentence blows, or that they're right... That book is the best?
LMFAO!!! Does that mean that sentence blows, or that they're right... That book is the best?
Obviously I'm right.The authors are Ed Miller, Matt Flynn and Sunny Metha.Also, if you play 6 max cash games you should definitely read Ryan Fee's strategy guide. It's free and you can get it online, just google it.

Super Novice - "A flush beats a straight, right?"Phil Gordon's stuff - Little Green book (which I've read), Little Black Book (which I haven't, but if it's as good as the Green one, I'd recommend it) I wouldn't recommend his Blue Book (which I have read, and found...not very useful).Novice - "Dude, I crush $2 sngs!!"Dan Harrington's famous NL Holdem Tournament set/ Cash GamesSmall Stakes Hold'em - Ed Miller, David Sklansky, and Mason MalmuthIf you're interesting in non-holdem poker - SS 1 and SS 2.Advanced - Daniel Power Holdem Strategy. I found the small ball second very useful...I was a little disappointed with the other sections... but still a great read. Theory of Poker by Sklansky - Some people recommend this to new players. I would recommend it to some new players, but others are going to find this difficult read. I think it's better to have some experience before reading about these concepts.

There are obviously lots of books out there. I recently read Negeanu's Power Hold Em, and it's very good. Lots of good concepts that I haven't really found in others. I also think Phil Gordon's Little Green Book is pretty good too & easy to read. I've gotten a lot of benefit out of a training website. I use PokerVT. It's pretty good. There are lots of good videos, and you get perspectives from a variety of players, so it's not just the same thing over & over.

Super Novice - "A flush beats a straight, right?"Phil Gordon's stuff - Little Green book (which I've read), Little Black Book (which I haven't, but if it's as good as the Green one, I'd recommend it) I wouldn't recommend his Blue Book (which I have read, and found...not very useful).Novice - "Dude, I crush $2 sngs!!"Dan Harrington's famous NL Holdem Tournament set/ Cash GamesSmall Stakes Hold'em - Ed Miller, David Sklansky, and Mason MalmuthIf you're interesting in non-holdem poker - SS 1 and SS 2.Advanced - Daniel Power Holdem Strategy. I found the small ball second very useful...I was a little disappointed with the other sections... but still a great read. Theory of Poker by Sklansky - Some people recommend this to new players. I would recommend it to some new players, but others are going to find this difficult read. I think it's better to have some experience before reading about these concepts.
I didn't read Phil Gordon's Little Black Book either. But I liked the other two. I also bought Sklansky's The Theory of Poker because Phil mentions it in the Little Green Book, but found it VERY overwhelming, and am just now taking another stab at it to see if I need to wait a little longer, or if I can grasp the concepts of the book now.The Super System books don't deal with Hold'em? Why are they such an essential book for the poker player then?

Sklansky's NLHE theory and practice is sort of a middle of the range thing for cash games. Professional No Limit Hold em is another level deeper for cash games. Do not attempt until after reading and understanding sklansky theory books.the harrington books are an excellent resource for tourny players - with his Volume 2 perhaps being the most famous...I've read DN's latest book..., well - I sure like his website. :club: seriously though, I guess it is good at a slightly more novice level and it is written in a very readable manner. For the Super System books, I agree they do give some fundamantels on some of the non-hold'em games. I sure wouldn't use advice from them when playing Hold'em though. The times have swept even the second one by for hold'em. (maybe they would be useful for someone completely unfamiliar with the rules of the game or something...)

As with most things that involve competing against other people, a thorough understanding of The Art Of War will go a long way. For poker-specific things, I wouldn't advise any books. Read the strategy sections here and on 2+2. They give a much better understanding of how current players think. Knowing how your opponents play gives you a huge advantage in figuring out how to beat them.