Tournamant Player Looking For Cash Game Advce!

Read Harrington on Cash GamesRecognize that you will be 100+ bb deep, as opposed to tourneys where you are <50 and often <20 bb deep.There was this good article in Cardplayer where this kid who played tournaments got a poker coach and wanted to learn cash-games.The coach just sat the kid at a online cash-game and watched. The first significant hand, he picked up AK in late positon, raised and got 2 callers.Flop came K 9 7. The kid got check-raised against two players and got it all-in very satisfied that he held the best hand. It turned out one player had a set of 9s and the other a oesd and flush draw. So the details may not all be correct as I cannot find the article, but the point is in NL cash-games you need a big hand to play a big pot.Opponents will more often have the flushes and straights as they will play more suited connectors. Good luck in your transition.

Read Harrington on Cash GamesRecognize that you will be 100+ bb deep, as opposed to tourneys where you are <50 and often <20 bb deep.There was this good article in Cardplayer where this kid who played tournaments got a poker coach and wanted to learn cash-games.The coach just sat the kid at a online cash-game and watched. The first significant hand, he picked up AK in late positon, raised and got 2 callers.Flop came K 9 7. The kid got check-raised against two players and got it all-in very satisfied that he held the best hand. It turned out one player had a set of 9s and the other a oesd and flush draw. So the details may not all be correct as I cannot find the article, but the point is in NL cash-games you need a big hand to play a big pot.Opponents will more often have the flushes and straights as they will play more suited connectors. Good luck in your transition.
this a big difference for me, i play more suited connector and suited one-gap hands in cash games that i wouldn't play as much in tournaments due to stack sizes. generally play these types of hands to try and win huge pots when i hit a monster(not all that often that i hit a monster, but it's easy to get away from when you don't obviously). generally i think the "big hand big pot/small hand small pot" theory is the way to go

Also, cash games allow you the opportunity to play the same opponents often. Taking notes is good.Also, there is a table selection thread going on. I liked the idea that you should look for tables where there are a lot of villains sitting with 60-70bbs as they don't know enough to always have a full buy-in, nor are they playing a short stack, fold/all-in strategy.

The coach just sat the kid at a online cash-game and watched. The first significant hand, he picked up AK in late positon, raised and got 2 callers.Flop came K 9 7. The kid got check-raised against two players and got it all-in very satisfied that he held the best hand. It turned out one player had a set of 9s and the other a oesd and flush draw.
That's a lie, no one ever gets a flop that good holding AK :club:
So the details may not all be correct as I cannot find the article, but the point is in NL cash-games you need a big hand to play a big pot.
QFTThis the biggest thing people miss when moving from Tournaments to Cash. It's also how I make most my money in cash games, if it weren't for the people that can't make this transition then NL cash games would be the worst grind ever with an occasional cooler here and there.