Toronto Raptors Fanclub

I was reading a Celtics blog and somebody opened up the question of KG for Bosh straight up. Most of the Celtic fans agreed that it was a bad move unless Bosh agreed to re-sign the next seasons. Would you do this? Would Garnett be able to bring some defensive intensity to Toronto and help push for a >2nd round finish with Calderon, Turkoglu and co. around him? Would Bosh's defensive liabilities be hidden behind Kendrick Perkins?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading a Celtics blog and somebody opened up the question of KG for Bosh straight up. Most of the Celtic fans agreed that it was a bad move unless Bosh agreed to re-sign the next seasons. Would you do this? Would Garnett be able to bring some defensive intensity to Toronto and help push for a >2nd round finish with Calderon, Turkoglu and co. around him? Would Bosh's defensive liabilities be hidden behind Kendrick Perkins?
I don't think it works for either party. Boston has made it clear that they want championships NOW and KG's defense, intensity and familiarity of the Bs system is too important. For the Raps, there's no point in dumping the future for 2-3 years of Garnett's services...especially when it's unclear how many minutes KG could log and his health. I think the Raps are on the right track. I like the team. Evans adds some grit to the line-up. Look at how quickly Bargs is improving? Not out of the question he could pass Bosh for team importance. Obviously different type of player but important nonetheless. Calderon is slowly getting his shot back. Last piece of the puzzle is the SG position. Easily where we're hurting the most. I'd like to think that Derozan can develop to be a key player and offer some quality perimeter defense this team sorely needs.If the Raps can return from this 8-game road trip (when you only have 1 stop at home that doesn't really count) at .500 I think that will be a partial success and set them up for a good December finish.
No way the Raps would ever do this. They'd be giving away the best 3 point shooter in the league :)All in all though, it really makes no sense with Bosh's contract. If their contracts were the same, then I guess it would be an interesting debate, but it seems to me that Bosh is really just hitting his prime, whereas Garnett is still great, he's on the decline.

I guess I meant it as a future move. This year it's pretty horrible for both teams, but I was under the impression that there was no way Bosh was resigning with Toronto after this season. So it would basically be trading to get a few years of Garnett to help develop the younger core around him and bring some defensive intensity.

Great trade for Boston, horrific move for Toronto.Toronto could definitely get David Lee, Nate Robertson, a 1st round draft pick, and cash from the Knicks for Bosh. Why on earth would you trade a youthful big man for one who is breaking down rapidly instead?Only a Celtics blog could come up with such a ridiculous scenario. If the Raps GM did this, he should be fired on the spot then run out of Canada.

Lol, why on earth would the Knicks trade all that for a guy they could just sign next year while keeping most of that lineup? And from a purely financial perspective, KG would sell tickets while he was there which is more than David Lee can do on a team without Mike D'Antoni. I believe David Lee also expires this year so this trade would make even less sense for the Raptors.

Lol, why on earth would the Knicks trade all that for a guy they could just sign next year while keeping most of that lineup? And from a purely financial perspective, KG would sell tickets while he was there which is more than David Lee can do on a team without Mike D'Antoni. I believe David Lee also expires this year so this trade would make even less sense for the Raptors.
assuming Bosh will go to NY is silly. The Knicks want to rid themselves of Nate Robinson, they dont care about picks or cash, and they dont want to resign David Lee because they want money for 2010. If they could do that trade for Bosh and clear enough cap to be able to sign Lebron....maybe Lebron actually considers them (because he wants to go to a place that can win). For the Raps, they should be able to re-sign Lee (who is a great young big guy) and they actually get value back for Bosh (and "selling tickets for a year until KG's knees go kablooooooey" is not value imo)That is "why on earth" the knicks would do it (in a heartbeat I bet). The raptors are still hoping that Bosh will change his mind about staying in Toronto.If Bosh gets to unrestricted free agency, he is much more likely to go to Miami than a crappy Knicks team.

I think there's a chance that he'll stay tbh. I think this team has a real shot at being good. Once they get some sort of defensive system or strategy, they will be a very tough team to deal with. I really do think he enjoys being the face of basketball in Canada as well. Sure he doesn't get the publicity that he would get in a bigger US media market, but he is pretty much king in all of Canada when it comes to basketball. Almost to the same level that Vince Carter was.

There is pretty much no scenario where the Raptors trade Bosh during this season. Bosh even if he is thinking that he more likely than not is going to leave the Raptors isn't going to come out and say that and close off his option of staying with the Raptors. To trade Bosh the Raptors would have to take on contracts that match what Bosh is making since no team with cap space would be a logical place for Bosh during the season. In the off season there are 3 scenarios for Bosh.1. He decides that the Raptors are his best option and he signs back with them. I give this about a 30% chance right now.2. He decides to sign with a team that has the cap space to take on a max free agent in the off season. Other than Miami if D Wade stays there isn't a team that would be more attractive than staying with the Raptors. The Knicks ? The Nets ?I give this about a 10% chance of happening to a team other than Miami and much higher if it is Miami but they of course will be trying for LeBron.3. He decides that he wants to leave the Raptors and a sign and trade is done and he's moved to a contending team and the Raptors get back quality players in return. Would the Lakers deal Andrew Bynum for example for Bosh in the off season ? I haven't looked around but there might be some surprises where some of these free agents end up because of the chance for a sign and trade deal. Even if Bosh leaves as a free agent the Raptors will have cap space to get other free agents and there will be a lot of them as everybody knows ?

There is pretty much no scenario where the Raptors trade Bosh during this season. Bosh even if he is thinking that he more likely than not is going to leave the Raptors isn't going to come out and say that and close off his option of staying with the Raptors. To trade Bosh the Raptors would have to take on contracts that match what Bosh is making since no team with cap space would be a logical place for Bosh during the season. In the off season there are 3 scenarios for Bosh.1. He decides that the Raptors are his best option and he signs back with them. I give this about a 30% chance right now.2. He decides to sign with a team that has the cap space to take on a max free agent in the off season. Other than Miami if D Wade stays there isn't a team that would be more attractive than staying with the Raptors. The Knicks ? The Nets ?I give this about a 10% chance of happening to a team other than Miami and much higher if it is Miami but they of course will be trying for LeBron.3. He decides that he wants to leave the Raptors and a sign and trade is done and he's moved to a contending team and the Raptors get back quality players in return. Would the Lakers deal Andrew Bynum for example for Bosh in the off season ? I haven't looked around but there might be some surprises where some of these free agents end up because of the chance for a sign and trade deal. Even if Bosh leaves as a free agent the Raptors will have cap space to get other free agents and there will be a lot of them as everybody knows ?
I agree that Bosh probably wont be traded. I would lower the chances of Bosh returning to about 20%. Sign and trade might be their best bet. If he goes into free agency, Miami is the only team that makes sense as you pointed out.I was really just trying to point out that they are better off letting Bosh go for nothing (and having cap space in a great year to have it as you pointed out) than tying themselves up with KG and his balky knees. That idea was just so patently ridiculous. And that if they were going to trade him that they could do a lot better than an aging PF with no knee cartilege.The Raptors have great fans so I hope they do not come out of this ordeal empty handed. But I think they probably will.

Wow, I'm sad to hear that everyone thinks Bosh is so likely to go. I'm not in Toronto anymore so I guess you guys know more than me but I keep thinking there's a good chance he'll stay. Toronto can give him the money and I think the Raps really have a good core to build from. PLEASE let me be right!

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy thinks the Raps current record is basically how they're going to be the rest of the season. Maybe I'm just too optimistic but I'm SO sure the Raps will end the year over .500 and be doing all sorts of great stuff by allstar break (barring major injuries of course).

My buddy thinks the Raps current record is basically how they're going to be the rest of the season. Maybe I'm just too optimistic but I'm SO sure the Raps will end the year over .500 and be doing all sorts of great stuff by allstar break (barring major injuries of course).
Based on last nights game, I'd say they will be a sub .500 team for sure. They just can't stop anybody. They basically let one of the worst offensive teams in the league look like the Phoenix Suns.They need Reggie Evans to get healthy and they need DeRozan to take a seat. He just can't cover the top 2s in the league. I like the way Calderon plays O, but his D is probably the worst in the league at his position. Unless they shoot lights out every night (which they've shown they can do), it's going to be a long season.
Based on last nights game, I'd say they will be a sub .500 team for sure. They just can't stop anybody. They basically let one of the worst offensive teams in the league look like the Phoenix Suns.
Do I smell a bet? Even after another loss I still think Raps will get over .500. We could say exactly .500 is a tie
$25? Booked. (sorry, I'm a nit when it comes to betting)
25? for a season long bet?? I was gonna say no more than 500...hmm, how bout 100 USD? it's a loonnnng season.

Almost 150 points allowed last night. Seriously, they are the softest team in the league by a mile. I don't think Triano is going to be long for the team. I really do think signing him to an extension before he had even proven himself was a mistake. I do like the guy, but I just think he has zero defensive strategy. I guess he has zero guys with defensive ability as well, which doesn't help.

ok, $75 :)Like i said, i'm a nit.
wow, the Raps just got spanked by Atlanta. ahh..maybe bad bet but I'm game. still 4 games against the Nets right?$75 USD...BET!Go Raps Go!
really? no Raps fans around?I think I'm the last one left...well, two game winning streak weeeeeee!!!!!!
I'm still here and I'll be at the Minny game on Tuesday. It's Turk Bobblehead night, woo hoo.After the disaster in Atlanta a nice bounce back beating Washington and then the Bulls. Chicago right now is pretty bad though.Overall their record is about what it should be considering their schedule has been the toughest in the NBA so far and integrating so many new players.
Raptors suck, if you can't even hover close to .500 in the weak east this team is horrible.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryCnDtE6sZU
I can't believe how angry Toronto fans seem to be in general. I guess the Leafs aren't helping the mood.I'd like to know what the Clippers version of this video would be like. The Raps are better than their record and once the schedule is nicer (as it's slowly getting there) then I'll be sure to make space on my bandwagon which is seating one at the moment.
I can't believe how angry Toronto fans seem to be in general. I guess the Leafs aren't helping the mood.I'd like to know what the Clippers version of this video would be like. The Raps are better than their record and once the schedule is nicer (as it's slowly getting there) then I'll be sure to make space on my bandwagon which is seating one at the moment.
You should check how the Leafs are playing..thanks :club:
  • 4 weeks later...