Toronto Raptors Fanclub

Well, no time like the present to get things ready for 2009-2010...Raptors make their first big decision in management to kick off the summer.http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4158208Raptors sign Triano to 3-year dealComment Email Print ShareAssociated PressTORONTO -- Jay Triano signed a three-year contract Monday to coach the Toronto Raptors, dropping the interim tag after taking over the team during the season.Triano was promoted Dec. 3 after Sam Mitchell's dismissal.The Raptors went 25-40 under Triano but finished strong, going 9-4 in their final 13 games."We have gone through an extensive evaluation process and have done a lot of soul-searching internally and came to the conclusion that Jay Triano was the right leader for this team as we move forward," general manager Bryan Colangelo said.A native of Niagara Falls, Ontario, the 50-year-old Triano became the first Canadian-born and Canadian-trained coach in the NBA when he was hired in 2002 as an assistant to Lenny Wilkens. He spent six years as the Canadian national team's coach, leading the squad to a seventh-place finish at the 2000 Olympics."Today it's a great honor for me to be really rewarded by an organization that I've been devoted to for the past seven years," Triano said. "I've spent an awful lot of time late at night here at the arena preparing for games. I'm just anxious and excited. Things won't change."

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrat's Jay Triano my friend for inking a 3 year deal as Head coach of the Raptor's. I am sure that your parents and family are super please. Hope to see you sometime this summer. At the usual summer get together. I will most likely run into your uncle Larry before then lol. http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDi....aspx?e=1562790
darn you fleung I posted this 1st lol, so you go and start a new threadalso from our home town paper todayhttp://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDi....aspx?e=1563467a bit of a brag here but Jay and I went to school togetherHis dad was my High school principal the year I graduatedHis uncle live 2 doors down from me, Taught me how to play poker and was my grade school prinicipal. The whole family is awesome, and we try to get together every summer at a family neighbourhood party. They are awesome people. His brother Jeff played in the OHL and was drafted by the leafs but never did make the team. I use to play street hockey with his cousins. We had a lot of fun as Kids growing up and still have fun looking back laughing at those times. but with all good times was the pain and sad times. that I am not going to go into here.
  • 4 weeks later...

geez...things looking worse in Raptorland...Bosh not planning to sign extension with RaptorsPosted Jun 4 2009 7:13PMTORONTO (AP) -- Chris Bosh doesn't plan to sign a contract extension with the Toronto Raptors this summer and is preparing to become a free agent at the end of next season.Bosh is in the final year of a deal that will pay him $15.7 million. While Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo has spoken optimistically in the past about signing Bosh to an extension this summer, Bosh said that isn't his intention. He said leaving his status up in the air could actually help both himself and the Raptors, who missed the playoffs this season with a 33-49 record."[When] I signed a three-year [extension in 2006]... I had a goal in mind, and that was to put myself in the best position [in 2010] ... I'm thinking I just want to stick to my goal, stick to what I was doing," Bosh told reporters. "That's a part of the plan ... I just want to address things [after] next season. There's a reason why I did things the way I did them back then."Should Bosh become a free agent in 2010, he'll join a crop of players that could include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Amare Stoudemire and Steve Nash.

geez...things looking worse in Raptorland...Bosh not planning to sign extension with RaptorsPosted Jun 4 2009 7:13PMTORONTO (AP) -- Chris Bosh doesn't plan to sign a contract extension with the Toronto Raptors this summer and is preparing to become a free agent at the end of next season.Bosh is in the final year of a deal that will pay him $15.7 million. While Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo has spoken optimistically in the past about signing Bosh to an extension this summer, Bosh said that isn't his intention. He said leaving his status up in the air could actually help both himself and the Raptors, who missed the playoffs this season with a 33-49 record."[When] I signed a three-year [extension in 2006]... I had a goal in mind, and that was to put myself in the best position [in 2010] ... I'm thinking I just want to stick to my goal, stick to what I was doing," Bosh told reporters. "That's a part of the plan ... I just want to address things [after] next season. There's a reason why I did things the way I did them back then."Should Bosh become a free agent in 2010, he'll join a crop of players that could include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Amare Stoudemire and Steve Nash.
This doesn't change anything.I don't think anybody at any point thought Bosh would sign an extension this off season.

First move...Are we happy with this? I always thought there was a better way to use Kapono. Not thrilled to see him go.Raptors send Kapono to Sixers in exchange for EvansBy Official ReleasePosted Jun 9 2009 2:51PMPHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia 76ers President and General Manager Ed Stefanski announced today that the team has acquired forward Jason Kapono from the Toronto Raptors in exchange for forward Reggie Evans. The trade will be finalized pending both players passing their physicals."We are very excited to add one of the league's most prolific three-point shooters in Jason Kapono," Stefanski said. "We feel that this move addresses our goal of improving our shooting from the perimeter."I want to thank Reggie Evans for his contributions to the team for the past two seasons and we wish him only the best."Kapono (6-8, 215) just completed his sixth NBA season and has appeared in 321 career games with 61 starts, averaging 7.3 points and 1.9 rebounds in 19.2 minutes per game. The former UCLA standout won the NBA's 3-point contest in back-to-back years in 2007 and 2008 and is tied with Steve Kerr for the highest 3-point shooting percentage in NBA history (.454).Last season, Kapono appeared in all but one game for the Raptors, averaging 7.2 points, 2.0 rebounds and a career-high 1.3 assists while shooting 43.2% from the floor, 42.8% from 3-point range and 81.0% from the foul line. He ranked 12th in the NBA in 3-point percentage.Kapono was originally a second round pick (31st overall) by Cleveland in the 2003 NBA Draft and spent one season with the Cavaliers before being selected by Charlotte in the 2004 NBA Expansion Draft. Kapono signed with Miami as a restricted free agent in October of 2005 and was a member of the Heat's championship team that season. Following two seasons with Miami, Kapono signed as a free agent with Toronto in July of 2007.While with Miami in 2006-07, Kapono enjoyed his best season, averaging career highs of 10.9 points and 2.7 rebounds while shooting 49.4% from the floor and 51.4% from behind-the-arc, the fifth-highest 3-point percentage in a single season in NBA history.Kapono finished his collegiate career as the third leading scorer in UCLA history behind Don MacLean and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. He became the first Bruin to earn first team All Pac-10 honors all four years as well as the first player in school history to lead his team in scoring in four straight seasons.Evans (6-8, 245) just finished his seventh NBA season and his second with the Sixers. In 79 games with seven starts last season, he averaged 3.3 points and 4.6 rebounds in 14.4 minutes per game. Evans has ranked in the top-10 in rebounds per 48 minutes played in each of the past six seasons.

First move...Are we happy with this? I always thought there was a better way to use Kapono. Not thrilled to see him go.Raptors send Kapono to Sixers in exchange for EvansBy Official ReleasePosted Jun 9 2009 2:51PMPHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia 76ers President and General Manager Ed Stefanski announced today that the team has acquired forward Jason Kapono from the Toronto Raptors in exchange for forward Reggie Evans. The trade will be finalized pending both players passing their physicals."We are very excited to add one of the league's most prolific three-point shooters in Jason Kapono," Stefanski said. "We feel that this move addresses our goal of improving our shooting from the perimeter."I want to thank Reggie Evans for his contributions to the team for the past two seasons and we wish him only the best."Kapono (6-8, 215) just completed his sixth NBA season and has appeared in 321 career games with 61 starts, averaging 7.3 points and 1.9 rebounds in 19.2 minutes per game. The former UCLA standout won the NBA's 3-point contest in back-to-back years in 2007 and 2008 and is tied with Steve Kerr for the highest 3-point shooting percentage in NBA history (.454).Last season, Kapono appeared in all but one game for the Raptors, averaging 7.2 points, 2.0 rebounds and a career-high 1.3 assists while shooting 43.2% from the floor, 42.8% from 3-point range and 81.0% from the foul line. He ranked 12th in the NBA in 3-point percentage.Kapono was originally a second round pick (31st overall) by Cleveland in the 2003 NBA Draft and spent one season with the Cavaliers before being selected by Charlotte in the 2004 NBA Expansion Draft. Kapono signed with Miami as a restricted free agent in October of 2005 and was a member of the Heat's championship team that season. Following two seasons with Miami, Kapono signed as a free agent with Toronto in July of 2007.While with Miami in 2006-07, Kapono enjoyed his best season, averaging career highs of 10.9 points and 2.7 rebounds while shooting 49.4% from the floor and 51.4% from behind-the-arc, the fifth-highest 3-point percentage in a single season in NBA history.Kapono finished his collegiate career as the third leading scorer in UCLA history behind Don MacLean and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. He became the first Bruin to earn first team All Pac-10 honors all four years as well as the first player in school history to lead his team in scoring in four straight seasons.Evans (6-8, 245) just finished his seventh NBA season and his second with the Sixers. In 79 games with seven starts last season, he averaged 3.3 points and 4.6 rebounds in 14.4 minutes per game. Evans has ranked in the top-10 in rebounds per 48 minutes played in each of the past six seasons.
Good trade.They save money and Evans is somebody who gives the Raptors something that they don't have which is rebounding and toughness.Kapono was hugely disappointing and most of the blame was on him. He was a shooter who refused to shoot and he's a huge liability other than shooting.Like a lot of players he looked much better than he really was playing with Shaq and D Wade in Miami where he had a ton of open looks because of them.
Good trade.They save money and Evans is somebody who gives the Raptors something that they don't have which is rebounding and toughness.Kapono was hugely disappointing and most of the blame was on him. He was a shooter who refused to shoot and he's a huge liability other than shooting.Like a lot of players he looked much better than he really was playing with Shaq and D Wade in Miami where he had a ton of open looks because of them.
Ya, you make a good point with Shaq/Wade giving him good looks. Seems like the type of player that would do well with James-Cleveland. Too bad Kapono's defense is so suspect.
  • 5 weeks later...
Where is the love??GO TURKOGLU
ya, that's a pretty big signing that really fits with the Raptors style and chemistry. Hopefully this and the rumoured additions (Jack, Rasho, Delfino) fill-in the role player holes nicely.This isn't too shabby a line-up:BargnaniBoshHedoDeRozan/Jack/Delfino?Calderon

To be honest I hate the signing of Turkoglu. It removes a lot of cap flexibility and I doubt he's really the addition that Toronto needed. Until last year he was an average player and only started for Orlando because Tony Battie was injured (or so I hear). It is still yet to be seen if he can run an offense effectively without a player like Dwight on the inside and a bevy of 3-point shooters surrounding him to give him maximum efficiency running the pick&roll with Dwight. Bosh is a different kind of player and I'm not sure how well Hedo will fit in around Calderon etc. I feel like at best he'll match this seasons stats and may revert a little. I think Toronto may be competing for most euro lineup.I think it also removes a ton of cap flexibility in the future.

To be honest I hate the signing of Turkoglu. It removes a lot of cap flexibility and I doubt he's really the addition that Toronto needed. Until last year he was an average player and only started for Orlando because Tony Battie was injured (or so I hear). It is still yet to be seen if he can run an offense effectively without a player like Dwight on the inside and a bevy of 3-point shooters surrounding him to give him maximum efficiency running the pick&roll with Dwight. Bosh is a different kind of player and I'm not sure how well Hedo will fit in around Calderon etc. I feel like at best he'll match this seasons stats and may revert a little. I think Toronto may be competing for most euro lineup.I think it also removes a ton of cap flexibility in the future.
I think you add quality players at a position of weakness and that's what the Raptors have done with Turk. He's a bit of a unique player. How well it will work on defense will be the question. Reggie Evans off the bench will help with their softness and rebounding.Turk's big year was 07/08 and his stats actually weren't as good last year but the team as a whole was better and he made a lot of big late game plays.I think the Raptors will go as far as Bargnani's development. If he continues to progress like he did at the end of last year he's going to end up as a fringe all star. His one on one defense is pretty good against most bigs and his rebounding fundementals on the defensive end were getting much better as he's actually starting to box out his man, I wish the same could be said for Bosh.Basically the Raptors are going to start a front line that is going to be a matchup problem for almost all teams. It's hard to deal with 3 guys who are all 6'10" or taller, can shoot and are mobile.Expect them to get even more International as Rasho N and Delfino are the most likely players to round out the roster if Indiana doesn't match Jack's offer sheet. Rasho loves Toronto and his family actually was living here while he played for the Pacers.
I think you add quality players at a position of weakness and that's what the Raptors have done with Turk. He's a bit of a unique player. How well it will work on defense will be the question. Reggie Evans off the bench will help with their softness and rebounding.Turk's big year was 07/08 and his stats actually weren't as good last year but the team as a whole was better and he made a lot of big late game plays.I think the Raptors will go as far as Bargnani's development. If he continues to progress like he did at the end of last year he's going to end up as a fringe all star. His one on one defense is pretty good against most bigs and his rebounding fundementals on the defensive end were getting much better as he's actually starting to box out his man, I wish the same could be said for Bosh.Basically the Raptors are going to start a front line that is going to be a matchup problem for almost all teams. It's hard to deal with 3 guys who are all 6'10" or taller, can shoot and are mobile.Expect them to get even more International as Rasho N and Delfino are the most likely players to round out the roster if Indiana doesn't match Jack's offer sheet. Rasho loves Toronto and his family actually was living here while he played for the Pacers.
trading bosh before the deadline?
trading bosh before the deadline?
I really really doubt that happens.I don't see a scenario where Bosh becomes a problem and demands a trade or anything like that even if he knows he isn't going to stay. It's almost impossible to get fair value for Bosh in a trade during the season since the only way any team gives up much value for him would be if it's a team that Bosh is willing to re-sign with which means a top end team. Well a top end team isn't going to have the salary cap space to make a deal for Bosh and the Raptors aren't going to take crappy contracts back.Plus the Raptors should be in the middle of the playoff mix in the East and they aren't going to just dump him and give up on the season.I think one of two things is the most likely with Bosh.1. He looks around and decides to re-sign with the Raptors. The salary cap is going to be much much lower next year than it is this year and there will be far fewer teams with the cap space to take on a maximum contract. Of those teams with the cap space how many of them will be somewhere that Bosh would rather be than Toronto. Plus the Raptors can pay him more money than anybody else and over more years.2. If that doesn't happen then I think some sort of sign and trade deal will happen in the off season that brings the Raptors back some value for Bosh while still allowing Bosh to get his maximum contract.I think Bosh just leaving as a free agent is the least likely thing and even if he does leave the Raptors will still have cap room with his and other expiring contracts to be in play in the off season to improve the team.I just think that Colangelo looks at Bosh as having a lot of value to the team on the floor this season and in a worst case scenario he has a lot of value as an expiring contract/sign and trade asset that is going to be more than his value in a trade during the season.
I really really doubt that happens.I don't see a scenario where Bosh becomes a problem and demands a trade or anything like that even if he knows he isn't going to stay. It's almost impossible to get fair value for Bosh in a trade during the season since the only way any team gives up much value for him would be if it's a team that Bosh is willing to re-sign with which means a top end team. Well a top end team isn't going to have the salary cap space to make a deal for Bosh and the Raptors aren't going to take crappy contracts back.Plus the Raptors should be in the middle of the playoff mix in the East and they aren't going to just dump him and give up on the season.I think one of two things is the most likely with Bosh.1. He looks around and decides to re-sign with the Raptors. The salary cap is going to be much much lower next year than it is this year and there will be far fewer teams with the cap space to take on a maximum contract. Of those teams with the cap space how many of them will be somewhere that Bosh would rather be than Toronto. Plus the Raptors can pay him more money than anybody else and over more years.2. If that doesn't happen then I think some sort of sign and trade deal will happen in the off season that brings the Raptors back some value for Bosh while still allowing Bosh to get his maximum contract.I think Bosh just leaving as a free agent is the least likely thing and even if he does leave the Raptors will still have cap room with his and other expiring contracts to be in play in the off season to improve the team.I just think that Colangelo looks at Bosh as having a lot of value to the team on the floor this season and in a worst case scenario he has a lot of value as an expiring contract/sign and trade asset that is going to be more than his value in a trade during the season.
ahh the sign and trade always slips my mind
  • 2 weeks later...
http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2009/07/r...al-is-done.html
Rasho's deal is doneRasho Nesterovic is coming back to his adopted hometown. The veteran centre, who spent two seasons with the Raptors before being traded to Indiana a year ago, has agreed in principle to a one-year deal worth about $1.9 million (all figures US), the so-called biannual exception to the NBA’s salary cap. The move comes as little surprise since president and general manager Bryan Colangelo has long held that the 33-year-old 7-footer is exactly the kind of solid veteran the team covets in a second unit role. The deal also works financially for the Raptors, who retain any financial flexibility they will have at the end of next season. Nesterovic, who maintained a home in Toronto despite playing in Indiana last year, averaged 6.8 points and 3.4 rebounds a game with the Pacers, starting 19 of the 70 games he appeared in last season. Coveted by a handful of European teams, Nesterovic made it no secret he wanted to return to the Raptors. He said in an interview a couple of weeks ago that he never wanted to leave but that he understood the business aspects of the NBA that necessitated his inclusion in the trade for Jermaine O’Neal. His role in Toronto is clear: He will be the backup centre behind Andrea Bargnani and now with he, Bargnani, Chris Bosh, Reggie Evans and Patrick O’Bryant, the Raptors are pretty well set in the front court. Colangelo has one roster spot left to fill and negotiations continue with former Raptor Carlos Delfino

Will the last American player on the Raptors please turn the lights out after they're traded away ?http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A...o&type=lgns

After failing to meet the initial expectations that surrounded his arrival as a first-round pick two years ago, the Golden State Warriors have traded guard Marco Belinelli to the Toronto Raptors, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday night.The Raptors will send Devean George to the Warriors.
I love this trade. Get a young player with some upside for an over the hill George who probably wouldn't have played much at all for the Raptors.
Will the last American player on the Raptors please turn the lights out after they're traded away ?http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A...o&type=lgnsI love this trade. Get a young player with some upside for an over the hill George who probably wouldn't have played much at all for the Raptors.
how many years are left on george's contract? it seems like purely a money a move on golden states part
how many years are left on george's contract? it seems like purely a money a move on golden states part
George is an expiring $1.6 million contract this year while Belinelli is $1.54 million this year, team option next year for $2.38 million and in 2011 his qualifying offer would be $3.37 million.My understanding is that the Raptors also sent them some cash in addition to George.

I love this deal. It almost seems too good to be true. Not to say Belnelli is great, but he has a tremendous upside, wheras Gerorge doesn't. Plus, it give Bargnani another Italian to chum with. I like it a lot.

I hope the press is realistic about the Rap's chances this year. Last thing we need is a repeat of what the Jays did and have everyone crowing about a contender blah blah blah. I'd just like to see consistency and toughness, along with quality substituting. Just do that and you'll make the 2nd season (playoffs).

I hope the press is realistic about the Rap's chances this year. Last thing we need is a repeat of what the Jays did and have everyone crowing about a contender blah blah blah. I'd just like to see consistency and toughness, along with quality substituting. Just do that and you'll make the 2nd season (playoffs).
we know what Hedo and Bosh will bring (especially in contract year) and Calderon is looking good in the off season. The bench is DEFINITELY an upgrade. If Derozan and Bargnani are strong I think the Raps could challenge for 4th in conference.

I really like the Raps acquisition of Marco Belinelli, I think he is going to be deadly from the bench. I'm not that huge on Jarret Jack tho. I just don't know why we spent so much on him to be a 2nd back up guard. I just think it would be awesome if the Raps traded Bosh/Jack for like Nowitzki or something. I doubt that would ever happen, but I just think it would be hilarious if we had like an all euro white team.

A guy I work with who knows basketball better than me says the Raps have a deadly 3 point shooting team. That being said, it doesn't mean much if they have no inside game.GO RAPS!

A guy I work with who knows basketball better than me says the Raps have a deadly 3 point shooting team. That being said, it doesn't mean much if they have no inside game.GO RAPS!
I like where the Raps are and they certainly have 3pt threads but "deadly"? Bosh/Derozan won't/shouldn't be jacking up a lot of treys this season.