Top 5 Least Popular Wsop Main Event Winners

This is a stupid list aside from Russ Hamilton and Amarillo Slim (I didn't know that stuff about him). Varkonyi and Yang maybe because they probably won't win anything ever again. They are more popular then some of the guys that won in the 90's that nobody has heard from in years.Jamie Gold seemed to be in hot water at the time, but now I think he is an entertaining poker player, and he puts on a lot of charity events. Why is he not popular?

Tom McEvoy is on my list.

I understand celebrating because he just won the ME....but, still....He just looks like an idiot when he does it.
I understand celebrating because he just won the ME....but, still....He just looks like an idiot when he does it.
They cut the video before he ripped his shirt all the way off. Tease.

I will play along.My least favorite ME winners5) Jerry Yang. What a luckbox and I find prayer at the poker table really odd.4) Tom McEvoy. I was convinced by Eddie's post of the awkward celebration.3) Robert Varkonyi. q-10, ftw.2) Russ Hamilton. obvious reasons.1) Scotty Nguyen. He sucks. Such a douche at the table when he loses.

looool
OH MIE GAHDwow. So much hilariousness in that video. Wow.first, that hat. holy moly. seriously? Were the 80's really that far out of touch?But the celebration and the jumping on the table, with the fist pump shouting "alright! I did it" is like straight out of an 80's cheese movie.It makes me wonder if in 20 years people will look back on 2009 and think that we too are super lame...it cant be that bad. no way
Hey guys,New to the forums but I came across an article that I thought was worth posting (Mods please delete if this is a repost). pokerListings did a story about the top 5 least popular main event winners.Pretty interesting but I think the writer must be high to include Jerry Yang on the list. Gotta agree with the number 1 pick though.
I liked that article actually. Similar to my top 5 hated winners list except i put hellmuth and nguyen on there too cause i loathe those guys. Both too arrogant for their own good.This was also cool - 40 years of WSOPdoyle-brunson-10195.jpg
I wonder how that celebration fits in with the etiquette of poker?
1) Scotty Nguyen. He sucks. Such a douche at the table when he loses.
This. Not so much for his main event win but for his behaviour at last years Horse tourney.
If I ever win a tourney that will be my celebration. Anyone know where I can get that hat?
i like jamie gold, he is entertaining to watch, not saying he is good or anything
Jamie Gold bugs me. He is the number one on my top 5. Now I think of the next 4. Should we get a poll going on this after we get a list going?
If I ever win a tourney that will be my celebration. Anyone know where I can get that hat?
first win the tourny, the hats just come natural after that.

"Varkonyi almost single-handedly made poker uncool."for some reason i lol'd pretty hard at this

I think Jamie Gold is getting a bad rap here. He's explained on ESPN how he settled the lawsuit in a matter of hours. As he put it, if I recall, "Here was someone I was going to make insanely wealthy, and they were drumming up poor publicity for me." Jamie Gold, his skills aside, we can say is a good poker marketing tool. Fun to watch, fun to play against for most pros!Yang--yawn, Varkonyi--yawn, Hamilton--f- that f-head for real.

I think Jamie Gold is getting a bad rap here. He's explained on ESPN how he settled the lawsuit in a matter of hours. As he put it, if I recall, "Here was someone I was going to make insanely wealthy, and they were drumming up poor publicity for me." Jamie Gold, his skills aside, we can say is a good poker marketing tool. Fun to watch, fun to play against for most pros!Yang--yawn, Varkonyi--yawn, Hamilton--f- that f-head for real.
nice 1st post....5.5 months later

Russ Hamilton, Jamie Gold, Tom McEvoy, Puggy Pearson, Amarillo Slim imoDon't know how Puggy and Slim were perceived at the time, but from what I hear, both were pretty much douchebags.EDIT: okay, after reading the article, it's a little unfair for Yang and Varkonyi to be included. It's definitely a case of being 'uninteresting' than 'unpopular'. I definitely read the question more as 'most unlikeable' as opposed to most unpopular.