*sigh*.... sonofabitchIt's because the kind of thing that will be banned won't affect you. This legislation is a major slippery slope, and could lead to things like pastors being jailed for saying that homosexuality is sinful.
ah, the power in Washington has flipped and now the GOP is worried about slippery slopes. circle of life. sunrise, sunset.I dont think it will lead to that.I have no idea why my state leads the league in idiots. oh wait, maybe it is because our educational system is 50th. maybe.

Listened to Savage again for a bit on my way home, he was replaying an interview he did earlier today with a British News person.He confirmed he is suing, unless she comes out publicly and said she made a mistake and apologizes to him. Although I do not agree with everything he says, he is very pragmatic about his though process and the reporter was trying to bait him into either saying something off the wall or backtracking on previous comments. He is to smart an individual to get caught like that. I thought he handled the interview very well, and when asked if he were planning to visit England he said he had not been there in 25 years, and although he used to be anglophile he is no longer interested in visiting there. In addition to that, he is going to ask everyone of his listeners to boycott travel to Britain and the purchasing of British products. Currently his estimated listenership is 10 Million, and very loyal.I am sure he could at least have a minor impact on the travel to Britain if he really focused on it.

It was interesting, their was a correspondent covering some 5,000 person Islamic protest outside of a London Mosc and they were chanting all sorts of hate filled things toward England and the West. The correspondent asked no less than 10 people what they thought Islam meant and can they coincide with Western or Jewish states. And all of them said in one way or another that the only way the could coincide is if everyone converted to Muslim and that it is in the Koran that they are to destroy all non Muslim nations. These were not the extremist that were chanting either, they were the Muslim bystanders on the outside of the protest.
Luckily we in America are smarter than the Brits....Oh wait:Hawaii declares Islam day
HONOLULU - Hawaii's state Senate overwhelmingly approved a bill Wednesday to celebrate "Islam Day" - over the objections of a few lawmakers who said they didn't want to honor a religion connected to the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.The Senate's two Republicans argued that a minority of Islamic extremists have killed many innocents in terrorist attacks."I recall radical Islamists around the world cheering the horrors of 9/11. That is the day all civilized people of all religions should remember," said Republican Sen. Fred Hemmings to the applause of more than 100 people gathered in the Senate to oppose a separate issue - same-sex civil unions.The resolution to proclaim Sept. 24, 2009, as Islam Day passed the Senate on a 22-3 vote. It had previously passed the state House of Representatives.The bill seeks to recognize "the rich religious, scientific, cultural and artistic contributions" that Islam and the Islamic world have made. It does not call for any spending or organized celebration of Islam Day.
Don't you love that one of the most liberal states in the union is fully accepting of creating an Islam day, but will grab pitchforks and charge the gates if there is a Nativity scene on Christmas near a public building
Between the two of you, you are very, very close and may well be spot-on. However, I invite you to read the article below by a prominent Australian writer. It may suggest a slightly different line from Canebrain's bolded part...http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...from=public_rss
What's sad about that article is that, as these laws crept in, I can just hear the citizens saying "What are you objecting to, it's not like we're arresting 10 y/o kids for calling names....", and with each subsequent law they said the same thing, until now, they are arresting 10 y/o kids. I can see it happening here. How many times do we have people say "that's just the slippery slope argument, that's silly." But these laws in the UK didn't happen over night; it just that nobody stood up to slow encroachment. It happened there, it can happen here -- both in the free speech and the economic sphere of life.

"Hamas MP Yunis Al-Astal, Jewish extremist Mike Guzovsky, former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard Stephen Donald Black and neo-Nazi Erich Gliebe are also on the list released today. "Personally I don't see any problem with denying extremists, racists and nazis entry to the UK. I mean, if Hitler came knocking at my door, I sure as hell wouldn't let him in.

What's sad about that article is that, as these laws crept in, I can just hear the citizens saying "What are you objecting to, it's not like we're arresting 10 y/o kids for calling names....", and with each subsequent law they said the same thing, until now, they are arresting 10 y/o kids. I can see it happening here. How many times do we have people say "that's just the slippery slope argument, that's silly." But these laws in the UK didn't happen over night; it just that nobody stood up to slow encroachment. It happened there, it can happen here -- both in the free speech and the economic sphere of life.
The key is what the parliamentary opposition did - nothing. The freedom that your previous generations established can easily be eroded regardless of constitution. A scare here, a scare there, and everyone allows politicians to enact new legislation. These freedoms have to be vigourously defended by each generation. Don't shirk your duties to your children and grandchildren. They will curse you if your generation's legacy is tyranny.
The key is what the parliamentary opposition did - nothing. The freedom that your previous generations established can easily be eroded regardless of constitution. A scare here, a scare there, and everyone allows politicians to enact new legislation. These freedoms have to be vigourously defended by each generation. Don't shirk your duties to your children and grandchildren. They will curse you if your generation's legacy is tyranny.
I think you're a bit of a nut, but this post is really good.
I think you're a bit of a nut, but this post is really good.
I'll take the compliment!
Here is a link to Geert Wilders affair which Sheiky referred to:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...lamic-film.htmlSheiky, just wondering why you referred to this democratically elected MP as a nutcase?Is it because :1) That's how the media like to portray him?2) Someone would have to be crazy in Europe to criticise Islam because of the persecution from the nebulous neo-Marxist EU?3) Someone would have to be crazy in most of the world to criticise Islam because of the threat to their life from intolerant muslim fanatics?4) You are a qualified psychiatrist, and have diagnosed him with some serious mental disorders?
I find it pretty ironic he considers himself a Libertarian with his priorities being freedom of speech, yet if in charge he would --The present Article 1 of the Dutch constitution, guaranteeing equality under the law, will be replaced by a clause stating the cultural dominance of the Christian, Jewish and humanist traditions.- A ban of five years on the founding of mosques and Islamic schools; a permanent ban on preaching in any other language but Dutch. Foreign imams will be forbidden to preach. Radical mosques will be closed; radical Muslims will be expelled.He bitches about not being allowed into the UK, yet he would bar all immigration into the Netherlands and throw out anyone who incites racial hatred? Irony, I think so!
I find it pretty ironic he considers himself a Libertarian with his priorities being freedom of speech, yet if in charge he would --The present Article 1 of the Dutch constitution, guaranteeing equality under the law, will be replaced by a clause stating the cultural dominance of the Christian, Jewish and humanist traditions.- A ban of five years on the founding of mosques and Islamic schools; a permanent ban on preaching in any other language but Dutch. Foreign imams will be forbidden to preach. Radical mosques will be closed; radical Muslims will be expelled.He bitches about not being allowed into the UK, yet he would bar all immigration into the Netherlands and throw out anyone who incites racial hatred? Irony, I think so!
Fair comment mate. I see some of what you say...1) I guess he's not really a libertarian and should not try to pass himself off as such. 2) Faith schools, mosques etc - briefly i agree with about half of what he said. Notably, I disagree with the notion of banning preaching in foreign languages. What language worshippers choose to use in their temples is up to them and no business of the state.3) His being barred from the UK was a hammer blow to democracy and Western/European values. Even you said it. As for his hypocrisy re immigration - he wanted to VISIT, not immigrate to here, so no problem with that.