6 handed NL in the $400-$800 mixed game. NLH hand is 100-200 blinds. Phil Galfond raises under the gun to 600 and I re-raise from the SB to 2200 with AK- he calls. Flop is K-7-2 rainbow I bet 2800- he calls. Turn is a 9, I check, he bets 5600. I have about 20,000 in front of me. Would you call, fold, or check-raise all in?

6 handed NL in the $400-$800 mixed game. NLH hand is 100-200 blinds. Phil Galfond raises under the gun to 600 and I re-raise from the SB to 2200 with AK- he calls. Flop is K-7-2 rainbow I bet 2800- he calls. Turn is a 9, I check, he bets 5600. I have about 20,000 in front of me. Would you call, fold, or check-raise all in?
I flat call the turn and check raise him all in on the river if he bets into me otherwise i'd be happy to check the river down. He's a such a loose player he could be trying to bet you of your hand and I think your hand is good enough to slow play against such an aggressive player. There arent many draws on the board either so checking prob isnt that dangerous on the river.But yeah I just call the turn and check the river. If he bets I prob go all in.Just my opinion im prob wrong,

I don't think I'm ever raising again in this hand. On the surface his line is super strong, and he knows that, so it's a decent spot for him to make a play. If he is doing it for value he pretty much has a set, so raising just valuetowns us. I think we have to call the turn. I have no idea how Galfond plays, against an abc nit I may find a fold, but I guess there aren't many of those in this game huh. If we are unsure about calling a bet on the river is it worth throwing out a blocking bet?

Galfond's pretty tight from what I hear tho I've never played w/him as he moved up from 50nl like 8 years agocheck raise all in is terrible.I probably call and fold the river if he bets again, unimproved or notA fold is likely fine, especially if I'm you DN; no offense, but your rep is that of a CS. He doesn't take this line w/any hands we beat for value except maybe KQs. I guess we're hoping for a chop ? His range isn't only sets for value; even though we're kinda blocking it, it's also AA. The biggest problem is that he's going to be able to play perfectly on the river as he's in position and your hand, on this dry board, is well-defined. Whether to call or fold probably has a lot to do w/game dynamics...how would Galfond be responding to YOU and how you've been playing.

CRAI is pretty terrible. I believe he's betting hands for value that our worse than yours but not calling your CRAI. I'd probably call and then put a small river inducing bet out there. Galfond is sick good, and I think he can turn decent made hands here into bluffs against you, so I'd put a small river bet out with intention of calling his raise. Also, it might just confuse him and you could get value from something he wouldn't bet on the river.

depends on reads, i dont really know galfond very well. this is a decent board to float, as only AA, KK, and AK are 3-bet hands that like this flop (unless he thinks DN will 3-bet a utg raise with with KQs or KJs, which is doubtful), so he could make this call with a lot of hands thinking he's best or that he can take you off your hand later.I would think AA would raise this flop, trying to get stacks in vs. AK, knowing they won't get much more $$ from JJ or QQ, and the longer the hand plays out the less likely he is to stack AK. same with a set, though this logic is better for smaller staked opponents, and may not apply in a larger game.I think this is classic way ahead/way behind.so we check/call the turn and bet/fold the river.that may be more of a limit line, but i think it works well here, too.

Folding is super ridiculously weak. I have no knowledge on Galfond's game, but a pro should be raising 77 on the flop here. The K hi dry flop smacks a 3bettor's range square in the nuts, so he'd raise for value. That being said, I can't see how we can raise the turn, you'll only get called by a set. On a blank river, I might try a block bet, folding to a raise of course. Either that or c/c all non-A rivers...I lead about 1/2 pot or so if I river two pair.

Folding is super ridiculously weak. I have no knowledge on Galfond's game, but a pro should be raising 77 on the flop here. The K hi dry flop smacks a 3bettor's range square in the nuts, so he'd raise for value. That being said, I can't see how we can raise the turn, you'll only get called by a set. On a blank river, I might try a block bet, folding to a raise of course. Either that or c/c all non-A rivers...I lead about 1/2 pot or so if I river two pair.
Do you not find it possible that they both have the same hand?

I don't like folding.After 3-betting preflop at this stack depth, I need a lot of evidence to convince me TPTK is no good.Since I'm not folding (and I doubt he's drawing), it's a question of how to extract the most money from a worse hand.

Do you not find it possible that they both have the same hand?
Why should we care about that possibility? If we c/c the turn and block bet lead a blank river, he's not raising with AK.
Why should we care about that possibility? If we c/c the turn and block bet lead a blank river, he's not raising with AK.
It was just a question seeing as everyone seemed to be mentioning sets and the like. It's possible, under the gun, that someone would raise 3x the bb with that hand. Of course only top pair, top kicker would throw caution out there but he could playing to represent a set because of that. Was just a thought. I certainly wouldn't be folding it, no. I would c/c and lead out on the river but not all-in.Daniel, how did you play it?
What was Phil's stack at the start of this hand ?
DN said he had 20k left after the flop, so i would guess Phil had him covered or close to it. which means he had about 25k to start.i wonder if he's gonna come back and give his thoughts/what happened
depends on reads, i dont really know galfond very well. this is a decent board to float, as only AA, KK, and AK are 3-bet hands that like this flop (unless he thinks DN will 3-bet a utg raise with with KQs or KJs, which is doubtful), so he could make this call with a lot of hands thinking he's best or that he can take you off your hand later.I would think AA would raise this flop, trying to get stacks in vs. AK, knowing they won't get much more $$ from JJ or QQ, and the longer the hand plays out the less likely he is to stack AK. same with a set, though this logic is better for smaller staked opponents, and may not apply in a larger game.I think this is classic way ahead/way behind.so we check/call the turn and bet/fold the river.that may be more of a limit line, but i think it works well here, too.
This sounds about right. How Phil views my game would greatly influence my decisions here. But this line seems reasonable.

You should include stack sizes of both (or at least indicate effective stack size, not just yours) to get the best info.As played, call and bet small on river, intending to call any shove.This is a pretty dry board still (assuming no flush draw is out there). He could easily be repping TT-QQ (he would flat QQ here I think, depending on your 3bet frequency...I thought you didn't like to 3bet pre that often IIRC). Leading small, lets say 4000, leaves 9k in your stack giving yourself a perceived chance to get away from the hand if he shoves. He may shove on you with his TT-QQ. Also it is a nice value bet if he has a range such as that as well, as he really can't get away from that too often.So call turn betsmall/callshove

based on almost every hand you played in high stakes im assuming you c/raised all in and ran into a set.PLEASEEEEE dont c/raise this turn :club:. It'll make me more sad. Call turn... check/call river.But obviously I've never played wiht galfond.. this is just my standard line vs. most incompetent players although galfond is hardly one of those.

based on almost every hand you played in high stakes im assuming you c/raised all in and ran into a set.PLEASEEEEE dont c/raise this turn :club:. It'll make me more sad. Call turn... check/call river.But obviously I've never played wiht galfond.. this is just my standard line vs. most incompetent players although galfond is hardly one of those.
I go with this.

Just lead turn. Phil likes to make call downs and he prob thinks your dbl barrel range is pretty narrow, so it'll be putting him to a tough decision regardless of his holdings that are not 77, 22, or 99.As played, I would check/call turn and eval on river. I obviously have not played with your or Phil, but I presume he isn't going to try and move you off hands often on the river. I think if he bets river after you check/call turn he is either going to value with KQ or KJ, which we have beat obviously, or is betting a set/float. Kinda hard to really comment on the spot since not there, game flow and other dynamics developed obviously influence the most optimal line in the spot.But if I were you in this spot I'd lead turn cause he prob expects you to check turn with your entire range (you're "big hands" like you did here, and your missed hands, as well as pocket pairs) and lead with a very narrow range for value and/or bluffs, in which he can either make a tough fold or incorrect call down against you. So while he may try and float you on the flop/bet turn, it's very difficult to guage if he would be trying to move you off of your turn check/call at the river. So I think you give up some value by not betting turn and then re-eval river if you want to lead again and try and get him to call down with a weaker King or a hand like TT/JJ.

I think checking the turn is ok as it makes our hand look less like a King and Phil may try and bluff or bet a weaker hand for value so I'm not folding at this stage in the hand.Does Phil think you will be check/raising the turn as a bluff? Probably not, so check/raising the turn seems bad since you are probably rarely getting called by worse than AK.I like check/call turn and re-evaluate on the river.

Dumb question, but is this live or on PokerStars? This just has to be a player-based play. Some people mused in here Galfond is tight, and he absolutely has to put AA, KK, AK in your 3 bet range, so the fact that he's firing the turn tells a little bit of the story ... but we did check it to him.I think there are four questions to answer: What is Daniel's image in this game so far? With what range does Galfond call a 3bet PF? Do we plan on calling a river shove?Would Galfond EVER play QQ JJ this way?

I knew immediately that I played the hand wrong right after I clicked. The best approach here is the line I normally take in that spot, check/call, check/call. Only hands he can have there to bet the river against me that have me beat are AA, KK, 77 and 22. I actually thought he had AK. I check-raised and he had 77. I'm going to likely save about $6000 if I play the hand right because he probably bets about $11,000 on the river. The case for raising is that he "could" float with a hand that developed into a big two way draw, but if he did, he would most likely take the free card. The case for check-calling is that I can represent JJ or QQ and get him to either value bet a weaker King or have him fire another bluff at the river. By raising the turn, I only get called by a monster draw and likely never get called by a weaker hand.