My Head Will Explode If I Keep Playing The Wsop Steps

I start at step 3 (don't have the time to start with steps 1 or 2). I conserve chips until the blinds climb then try and catch some cards and make things happen. 1st week everything came easily...3 cracks at step 5 (out in 6th,4th, and then on my 3rd attempt I lost my internet connection early - gg me). This week I'm getting my ass kicked on step 3. Maybe tougher opponents or maybe variance. Bad beats on key hands coming out of my butt (AA<AT, AK<AJ, KK<77, AQ<A8)Anyone with opinions about optimal steps strategy? I feel like my approach is solid, but I'm not satisfied with this week's results.Thanks in advance.

I start at step 3 (don't have the time to start with steps 1 or 2). I conserve chips until the blinds climb then try and catch some cards and make things happen. 1st week everything came easily...3 cracks at step 5 (out in 6th,4th, and then on my 3rd attempt I lost my internet connection early - gg me). This week I'm getting my ass kicked on step 3. Maybe tougher opponents or maybe variance. Bad beats on key hands coming out of my butt. Anyone with opinions about optimal steps strategy? I feel like my approach is solid, but I'm not satisfied with this week's results.Thanks in advance.
Here's the problem. You're definitely doing it wrong. Why don't you try accumulating chips instead and see how that works out.I like to call this "optimal poker strategy"
Here's the problem. You're definitely doing it wrong. Why don't you try accumulating chips instead and see how that works out.I like to call this "optimal poker strategy"
in what way are you talking about accumulating chips early? in sng strategy you really should be playing rather tight (limp 22-88/99, and flatting/raising with TT+, and AK, yes even open folding AQ in early/middle position). the whole goal is to still have chips to at least gain another seat into the steps tourney, and just not busting out of the "money". then around 50/100, is when you should be opening up your game more. when antes start, you should mostly be shoving in optimal spots, and yea you will get your money in bad sometimes, that's where the running good part needs to happen! hope this helps
in what way are you talking about accumulating chips early? in sng strategy you really should be playing rather tight (limp 22-88/99, and flatting/raising with TT+, and AK, yes even open folding AQ in early/middle position). the whole goal is to still have chips to at least gain another seat into the steps tourney, and just not busting out of the "money". then around 50/100, is when you should be opening up your game more. when antes start, you should mostly be shoving in optimal spots, and yea you will get your money in bad sometimes, that's where the running good part needs to happen! hope this helps
I was more just joking about it being generally a good idea to GAIN chips rather than just sit back and watch :)Not advocating doing anything crazy early in a SnG; but if you just wait for Aces and fold until the blinds are big you are quickly in a shovefest and relying more on luck than anything.
Actually what I meant was, shut your fking mouth and come to the chat room to make football trades!
I was more just joking about it being generally a good idea to GAIN chips rather than just sit back and watch :)Not advocating doing anything crazy early in a SnG; but if you just wait for Aces and fold until the blinds are big you are quickly in a shovefest and relying more on luck than anything.
I'm thrilled to accumulate chips early, but I'm not taking big risks for tiny profits. By the time the blinds are climbing high I'm generally in the 1300 - 1700 range. Early on I take the approach that 'every chip is precious'. I'm learning that to occasionally limp or min raise is OK (which I would never do in most cash game scenarios).
I'm thrilled to accumulate chips early, but I'm not taking big risks for tiny profits. By the time the blinds are climbing high I'm generally in the 1300 - 1700 range. Early on I take the approach that 'every chip is precious'. I'm learning that to occasionally limp or min raise is OK (which I would never do in most cash game scenarios).
You can probably do that easily in Step 1's, maybe 2's, but you have to figure the play will start getting better as you move into 3's and 4's and you can't just sit back and cruise control to the final 3-4 every time.

Later on, it's not only about catching cards, a big part of sng's is using position and fold equity to your advantage. You can't just let yourself blind out at the 75/150 or 100/200. You have to take advantage of tight players and be willing to put you stack at risk a lot if you didn't manage to accumulate chips early. The longer you wait, the lighter you get called and if you end up having to shove garbage, that's not a good thing. But you are def right about the early strategy. The tighter the better. R0llin pretty much nailed the opening ranges.

Later on, it's not only about catching cards, a big part of sng's is using position and fold equity to your advantage. You can't just let yourself blind out at the 75/150 or 100/200. You have to take advantage of tight players and be willing to put you stack at risk a lot if you didn't manage to accumulate chips early. The longer you wait, the lighter you get called and if you end up having to shove garbage, that's not a good thing. But you are def right about the early strategy. The tighter the better. R0llin pretty much nailed the opening ranges.
I hear and agree with what you're saying, but I often face a dilemma as to whether or not to be pushing/aggressive as the bubble approaches (5th place in Step 3) and risk busting out when I know that if I hang on a little longer I can be confident of: 1) reaching 5th place, and 2) getting at least one more solid opportunity to get my chips in good. Also, with the slightly more patient approach I have been getting my chips in good later on, but like you said, they call lighter (and sometimes suck out).