Wpt Event Northern Cyprus 2009

Re: World Poker Tour (WPT) Event in Northern Cyprus Sept 2009Having recently arrived in Las Vegas, I was eagerly anticipating playing in the $25k buy in WPT championship event. In fact I have played in many WPT events over the years and to date have never missed the main April Bellagio event but suddenly found myself faced with a moral dilemma that will most likely lead to my being unable to support any future WPT events. Not a great loss to the WPT I must say but nonetheless it makes me question their lack of moral integrity.The reason for this is basically down to my Cypriot ethnic origins as I was both surprised and shocked to discover that a WPT sanctioned event is scheduled for Northern Cyprus sometime in September later this year. Whilst I feel it is admirable that The WPT wish to spread their brand name to overseas venues I felt I had to write to them in order to ask why they have chosen to hold an event (or sanction an event) that is going to be held in Northern Cyprus which is currently deemed illegal internationally, not officially recognized and containing an occupying force of some 40000 foreign Turkish troops. I also felt strongly that I had to make the general poker public aware of this morally unjustifiable decision of The WPT so am posting this to various poker forums.You may or may not know some of the history behind the island but for background information I will include a brief outline below.In 1974 after a suspected coup attempting to unify Cyprus with Greece, Turkey invaded Cyprus (to give you an idea of how one-sided this invasion was it would be rather like the USA invading Hawaii). They took over approximately 40% of the island of Cyprus and thousands of Cypriots died in the conflict not to mention the hundreds of thousands that were displaced having their homes and lands illegally seized. To this day 40% of the island still remains under illegal occupation.In 1983 this separated section of Cyprus unilaterally declared independence from the rest of the island and is now known as the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.This republic is NOT recognized by ANY country ANYWHERE in the world except for Turkey and as such means that it is heavily dependent on Turkey for economic support. (There are numerous United Nations Resolutions concerning Cyprus and condemnations of Turkey and the illegal occupation of Northern Cyprus but I shall not cite them here). In Addition the only direct/non-stop flights that exist to Northern Cyprus come from Turkey so any flights from anywhere else in the world must first land or touch-down in Turkey before going on to Northern Cyprus. Visitors to The Northern Part of Cyprus must also acknowledge the falsely claimed sovereignty of the Northern Territory as part of the entry visa requirements.Subsequent to the invasion Turkey still maintains an army of approximately 40000 troops on the island and still occupies approximately 40% of the island which rightfully belongs to the (Southern) Republic of Cyprus which is globally recognized as the legal and rightful ruler of the whole island as it has the official sovereignty over the whole island.By holding a WPT event or lending the brand name to an event in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus the WPT is giving credibility to the continuing illegal occupation of Northern Cyprus and legitimising an illegal regime and republic that has stolen property and land belonging to others (incidentally the place at which the event is due to take place was illegally seized from the original owners and renamed from the original Zephyros).Because the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus is not recognized internationally you will also find that trade is severely restricted with that part of the island and that the North is relatively poor and under developed when compared to the more prosperous South. There is also a greater incidence of crime, disease and poor health in The North when compared to The South and grossly inferior medical facilities not to mention the numerous human rights abuses.As such I find it both incredible and surprising that The WPT would even consider holding a WPT event there never mind actually having one take place later this year. To do so would be very much like the WPT holding charity poker tournaments in order to raise funding for known terrorist organizations such as Hamas and The Taliban.I also wrote to Full Tilt Poker asking why they are running online qualifiers for this event and I eagerly await both organizations responses along with their explanations and justifications for their actions and why they feel the need to support an event in an illegal republic that continues to occupy a land that belongs to others. By supporting such an event they are legitimizing and giving credibility to an illegal occupation of a country and supporting their economy.I am not and have never been one to dictate to others what they should or should not do because I strongly believe individuals should have freedom of choice but just wanted to make as many in the poker community aware of my and others deep feelings that exist surrounding this forthcoming tournament.This post is not intended for discussion and I am sure the Cypriot Government via it’s US embassy will be addressing this issue directly with the organizations concerned but as I said above just wanted to give some background to all this and express my dissatisfaction with The WPT’s moral bankruptcy in the hope that they can be persuaded to dissociate themselves from this event.Harry Demetriou

Well if nothing else that is an interesting read and a history lesson. I had no clue about any of that.

While everything that Harry says is factually correct he brings the perspective of a Greek Cypriot and a Cypriot of Turkish background would have a different perspective.There has been a historic conflict between Greece and Turkey and the Cypriot people have been used by both Greece and Turkey as pawns in that conflict and in their own domestic political games. As in most ethnic conflicts the average person has suffered and it's too bad that the Greeks and Turks on Cyprus haven't been able to put their differences aside and live together. Nothing is ever black and white.

very good and interesting post filled with truth. Cyprus is a beautiful country filled with history and beauty but it is sad and under much tornment. Harry you hit this one bang on. When I saw Wpt's announcement I was in total shock. They choose the wrong side of Cyprus to host the event or even to get involve at this time with the political torrenment going on in it was not a good call on WPT's part. It will be very dangerous traveling to this tournament and I wouldn't be surpised that travel advisory's from our related embassy's are posted or have not been. I Have been to Turkey when bombings have gone off, it's one scary sight and these are in tourist areas's just think what you could face there which is just as unsettled. I love my visit to Turkey don't get me wrong but it scared the **** out of me, enough that It will hell before I go back.

The reason for this post not to be discussed is primarily because it is likely to quickly drift away from the core content which is whether or not organizations such as The WPT and FTP should be actively promoting events in illegal jurisdictions. If it can stick to the main point then by all means lets discuss whether you can trade morals for money.

While everything that Harry says is factually correct he brings the perspective of a Greek Cypriot and a Cypriot of Turkish background would have a different perspective.There has been a historic conflict between Greece and Turkey and the Cypriot people have been used by both Greece and Turkey as pawns in that conflict and in their own domestic political games. As in most ethnic conflicts the average person has suffered and it's too bad that the Greeks and Turks on Cyprus haven't been able to put their differences aside and live together. Nothing is ever black and white.
I am more than happy to debate the issue with you but this is not the place to do so.What I will say is this though: Cyprus is for CYPRIOTS (Greek-Cypriots and Turkish-Cypriots collectively) and they are the ones that are entitled to live in a unified island. The sub divisions of Greek-Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot are primarily of language and religion. We are NOT Greek NOR Turkish but CYPRIOT - Cyprus is an independant country and you will find that the overwhelming majority of Cypriots (both ethic backgrounds) do not want the Turkish troops or mainland settlers from Turkey present on the island.

Good to see/hear from you again Harry, albeit under these strained circumstances.It is very difficult to imagine your personal feelings on this issue, so I won't even try. I do wish you and yours the best and feel sad for all those negatively impacted by this situation.

I should read more world history and current events. If it's true that any and all flights into Northern Cypress have to go through Turkey, I don't think many people will be willing to take that route to play a poker tourney. I'd love to visit Turkey and Greece. Cypress has never been on my travel radar and I didn't have a clue about the 'occupation'.

I should read more world history and current events. If it's true that any and all flights into Northern Cypress have to go through Turkey, I don't think many people will be willing to take that route to play a poker tourney. I'd love to visit Turkey and Greece. Cypress has never been on my travel radar and I didn't have a clue about the 'occupation'.
I have been to Turkey, Greece and Cypress they are all beautiful in there ways, especially the history, old buildings, and the people themselves. the landscaping, gardens, customs, cultures is very interesting to learn. but then you also see the sad side as well, if you want to learn about all the sides of the countries not just the inner beauti that's the best part I find in my trips I take. When I take trips abroad to foreign countries I want to learn more than just the tourism spots. I want to learn about the people how they live, the politics, the struggles. it brings a different prospective to life and sometimes reminds me how really good I have it here at home. the people are mostly friendly and just as curious to learn about your ways. I don't have to always agree with there ways but then a lot of people sometimes just don't know or just choose not to want look at other ways as well. Like my 1st trip to the Ukraine and Russia at 10 yrs old. you were followed by the KGB and only allowed to see what they wanted to show you. I was not allowed to go visit my fathers villiage or visit my older half brother who lived there at all. they took away your camera's and your where told what to do and see my last visit 7 years ago thank god times changed and more freedom was introduced. there are many countries like Cypress which are in a similiar political path. Turkey is also beautiful again you just have to be extremely careful which part you visit. Cypress is somewhat safe it's the northern part that I would be concerned about. Harry wrote an interesting post just to get people to think about the situation and perhaps to get people to do there own search and look more into the back grounds of what is happening. Not into so much of what sides to take. bottom line is it's your decisions. I just do wonder about the WPT's call on this one.

Interesting article.. they are of course two sides to every story.Northern Cyprus is a beautiful peaceful place, i have been many times.the political situation is very complicated and stretches back over hundereds of years between Greece and Turkey.Lets hope they resolve their differences soon.We have started a website for people wishing to find out information on Tournaments all over Cyprus.All peaceful poker players are welcome to join.htpp://www.cypruspokernetwork.com

Flying to Cyprus is easy, from the UK you fly to Larnaca and then cross the border.You dont have to enter Turkey... The planes to Ercan in the south, have to touch down in Turkey first, but you stay on the plane.There is a legal challenge to this ruling coming up soon, so this may not be for much longer.I have respect for all Cypriots, Greeks and Turkish people, and hope they can come up with a soloution to the island...

I have been to Turkey, Greece and Cypress they are all beautiful in there ways, especially the history, old buildings, and the people themselves. the landscaping, gardens, customs, cultures is very interesting to learn. but then you also see the sad side as well, if you want to learn about all the sides of the countries not just the inner beauti that's the best part I find in my trips I take. When I take trips abroad to foreign countries I want to learn more than just the tourism spots. I want to learn about the people how they live, the politics, the struggles. it brings a different prospective to life and sometimes reminds me how really good I have it here at home. the people are mostly friendly and just as curious to learn about your ways. I don't have to always agree with there ways but then a lot of people sometimes just don't know or just choose not to want look at other ways as well. Like my 1st trip to the Ukraine and Russia at 10 yrs old. you were followed by the KGB and only allowed to see what they wanted to show you. I was not allowed to go visit my fathers villiage or visit my older half brother who lived there at all. they took away your camera's and your where told what to do and see my last visit 7 years ago thank god times changed and more freedom was introduced. there are many countries like Cypress which are in a similiar political path. Turkey is also beautiful again you just have to be extremely careful which part you visit. Cypress is somewhat safe it's the northern part that I would be concerned about. Harry wrote an interesting post just to get people to think about the situation and perhaps to get people to do there own search and look more into the back grounds of what is happening. Not into so much of what sides to take. bottom line is it's your decisions. I just do wonder about the WPT's call on this one.
Cyprus is a country, Cypress is a tree, Cypress Hill is awesomeYou had it right the first time you posted
Flying to Cyprus is easy, from the UK you fly to Larnaca and then cross the border.You dont have to enter Turkey... The planes to Ercan in the south, have to touch down in Turkey first, but you stay on the plane.There is a legal challenge to this ruling coming up soon, so this may not be for much longer.I have respect for all Cypriots, Greeks and Turkish people, and hope they can come up with a soloution to the island...[/quoteErcan airport is in the North not South and to travel to Kyrenia from Larnaca including the border crossing controls will probably take around 3 hours or more by road.As for the legal challenge concerning direct flights to the North far be it for me to pre-empt the decision but imo it is overwhelmingly likely to fail as absolutely no country in the world except for Turkey recognizes Northern Cyprus and this can be checked out by contacting your/any countries releavant overseas travel advisory body.
As for the legal challenge concerning direct flights to the North far be it for me to pre-empt the decision but imo it is overwhelmingly likely to fail as absolutely no country in the world except for Turkey recognizes Northern Cyprus and this can be checked out by contacting your/any countries releavant overseas travel advisory body.
The challenge is a legal one on restriction on trade, it has nothing to do with the political situation. The main thing is they re trying to work out a solution to the ' divided island ' which can only be good.