Help Me Name My Poker Bar League (ok we got that)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Call Poker
I don't think any of the other suggestions realistically captures all the requirements as well as this one does. I don't know why you are still even discussing other options. This has it all. Short, catchy name that everyone can understand, but yet still leaves room for a secondary "pokeresque" interpretation. It appeals to potential venues as well - since it captures the idea that your players will be there all night buying drinks.
I don't think any of the other suggestions realistically captures all the requirements as well as this one does. I don't know why you are still even discussing other options. This has it all. Short, catchy name that everyone can understand, but yet still leaves room for a secondary "pokeresque" interpretation. It appeals to potential venues as well - since it captures the idea that your players will be there all night buying drinks.
Correct.
Correct.
agree
As for a website, I would assume that LastCallPokerLeague.com is open.
lol on it as we speakwww.lastcallpokerleague.comwww.lastcallpl.comand believe it or not www.freebarpoker.com is available, prolly register that as an autoforward
lol on it as we speakwww.lastcallpokerleague.comwww.lastcallpl.comand believe it or not www.freebarpoker.com is available, prolly register that as an autoforward
Wow, that's crazy for freebarpoker.But I'd go with the full word league
Wow, that's crazy for freebarpoker.But I'd go with the full word league
yup, just regged those two for now, www.freebarpoker.com and www.lastcallpokerleague.com
What about.....Chip and a Beer Poker
Last Call Poker
Shipped both Kurt and dscoot a $4.40 transfer on Poker Stars to play in a $4.40 180 man of their choice. Not a stake, just a thank you. Will be using Last Call Poker League for the company name and "A Chip and a Beer" for the tagline.Thanks to everyone else for all their ideas and suggestions!OK PART 2Now we need a logo!I really liked that donkey with the beer that SFULTON posted earlier, but cant use copyrighted or unoriginal images without approval.Basically I see the design being a Poker Chip (Circle) with "Last Call Poker" circling in an upside down "U" across the top of the chip and "A Chip and A Beer" across the bottom "U" of the chip with some sort of poker/bar image in the middle. Again, I like the donkey/beer thing or something similar is cool that wraps up both poker and bar. The simpler the better because I want to be able to use the design on the actual poker chips I will be getting made as well as promotional material like shirts, hats, etc.I really appreciate any help anyone feels like offering.

I'm still sticking with my Poker Bar League idea so you can combine these..imgname--are_you_mentally_prepared_when_you_play_poker---50226711--4acepokercarte.jpgtb_busy_bar.jpgpremier-league-logo.gifShip the dough to someone random. Thanks

Basically I see the design being a Poker Chip (Circle) with "Last Call Poker" circling in an upside down "U" across the top of the chip and "A Chip and A Beer" across the bottom "U" of the chip with some sort of poker/bar image in the middle. Again, I like the donkey/beer thing or something similar is cool that wraps up both poker and bar. The simpler the better because I want to be able to use the design on the actual poker chips I will be getting made as well as promotional material like shirts, hats, etc.I really appreciate any help anyone feels like offering.
A rough cut here, but is this along the lines of what you're thinking? If so, tell me what you want changed and I'll tweak it around.lastcallrough.png
Hope they don't have rights to that name...http://www.42entertainment.com/poker.html
Good looking out.I actually called them yesterday to inquire about getting their original domain which they are not using anymore, but still want to keep cause it advertises an old 2005 game called GUN. No issues with having a poker league with that name, you can not copyright a business name, but you can trademark a brand. With my 'copyright' history I even inquired with an attorney and confirmed online that:Copyright law does not protect a business name. However, you might want to register a trademark on the name/brand. This can be done at a federal or U.S. state level. In the USA your brand is protected from infringement as soon as you first use it in commerce in association with your goods or services. However, registration provides more protection and simplifies any future efforts to enforce your rights in the brand. I checked with the Thomas Register and the only trademarked/registered thing close to mine is a company called Last Call that does disposable breathalizersI check with the Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) and there are no registered trademarks or patents around it.
Good looking out.I actually called them yesterday to inquire about getting their original domain which they are not using anymore, but still want to keep cause it advertises an old 2005 game called GUN. No issues with having a poker league with that name, you can not copyright a business name, but you can trademark a brand. With my 'copyright' history I even inquired with an attorney and confirmed online that:Copyright law does not protect a business name. However, you might want to register a trademark on the name/brand. This can be done at a federal or U.S. state level. In the USA your brand is protected from infringement as soon as you first use it in commerce in association with your goods or services. However, registration provides more protection and simplifies any future efforts to enforce your rights in the brand. I checked with the Thomas Register and the only trademarked/registered thing close to mine is a company called Last Call that does disposable breathalizersI check with the Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) and there are no registered trademarks or patents around it.
Good looking out!
  • 1 month later...

My oh my what progress can be made in a months time.I looked at the date I started this thread and it was April 19th, hard to believe it's just been a month cause so much has been doneI realize that the majority don't care, but I thought I would give some updates for those that do:Wrote a 20 page business planRegistered the company name with the secretary of state and filed and was approved for LLC status so the company name is officially Last Call Poker League, LLC.Set up a PO BoxDesigned business cards and got 250 printed for startersRegistered two domainsMet with attorney to understand the legalities and contracts side of the business and got a clear understanding of 'gambling laws' to make sure I did not cross any linesMet with a CPA to understand all the tax, business numbers, IRS, etc side of things.Purchased QuickbooksMet with a HR/Payroll agency to understand employee taxes and differences between Contractors/Employees etc.Met with several bar owners that currently host poker to understand a little better the sales/marketing side from their point of viewMet with a Design Agency to get ideas about brochures to leave with bar ownersMet with a few potential sponsors around town including beer distributor and local poker product distributor.Hired a web developer to do some backend databasing for me for the leaderboards and FPP store engines (site is almost done and I'm pumped, its gonna be sweet, cant wait to share it!)Went to a promotional company and got some embroidered shirts/hats made (pictures at end of this post)Bought a cheap refurbished laptop to run tournament director software onPurchased Commercial Version of Tournament DirectorDid a way with the A CHIP AND A BEER slogan on promotional products, but am leaving it on the web.Set up myspace, facebook and twitter business groups so I'll be ready on the 'viral marketing' side when I launch.Getting some custom T-shirts, Playing Cards, and Custom Pint Beer Glasses made for prizes and promotional give awaysOrdered custom poker chips and copags (pictures at end of this post)Evaluating what tables I am going to be usingMy goal is to have my first event launched the week of July 6th. I'm sure there is some stuff I'm forgetting but it's late so that should do for now.Here are a few picture:Embroidered Shirts and Hat:swag.jpgEmbroidery before I did away with the slogan .....embroid.jpgSome of the Chips (front has logo and back has denomination):racks.jpgClose up view of the front of the chip:hotstamp.jpgThanks again to all the FCP'ers who helped with their ideas on potential company names and logos ...................