Young Player Seeking Advice

Currently I am 17, I started playing not seriously when i was 15. I was attracted to the game through ESPN's WSOP. I always thought that Negreanu's game was always fun to watch. Right now I am becoming more interested in perhaps actually depositing money onto Poker Stars and playing seriously. The playchip tournaments are getting annoying. I am still in school and I am trying to run some hold'em tournaments after school. My question is : should i consider depositing my first dollars in? Since i prefer tournaments over cash games, would it be a good idea for me to be a online tourney player? My only training is Dan Harrington's on Hold'em VOL I-III. Not many other people may age consider what I am doing, but i am very drawn to the game. Any words of advice? Thanks.

1. Finish High School. It does not matter how good at poker you are, it's worth it.2. Where are you getting the money from to deposit? Don't get into bad habits early (stealing etc.)3. If you deposit, I would deposit a very small amount and start with the micro sit n gos or the penny cash games. Online poker is very different from the home games with your high school buddies (you probably know this). 4. Be careful with every decision you make, don't go down the wrong path. Treat this casually, don't let it take over your life at this point.5. Bankroll Management -- use common sense and don't go overboard.

welcome to the forum.i would say try lots of different games. see what works for you and whats fun. there are so many variants you can try online and mixed and tournaments. hit up the penny games for all sorts of stuff and see what floats your boat.keep in my that most poker players lose. fun fun fun fun fun. if you don't enjoy it do something else. most people can't even fathom how many players lose. its very unlikely you will be a winner. i don't mean to be all negative but its the truth and if first and foremost you don't love playing don't bother.i would say start in pokerstars. they have the largest selection of games and go down to the smallest limits of any site. if you can deposit whatever it takes to max out the deposit bonus. even if you don't play high enough to clear all of it in time it would suck to miss out on a few free dollars (if you plan on starting very small this won't really apply to you).beware when you sign up for new sites. if a site offers rakeback always make sure you get. it will always be better than any other offer thrown at you. browse this site for peoples signatures to find people who can get you rakeback.if you want some advice on a really good plan of attack for this whole thing maybe answer some of these 1) what do you want out of poker right now? in a month? 6 months? a year? five years? etc.... this is very important to think about2) are you trying to learn because you aspire to be a pro in anyway? are you looking for part time income?3) what drew you to the game? what do you enjoy about it.

2. Where are you getting the money from to deposit? Don't get into bad habits early (stealing etc.)
No offense but i lol'd at this one. But yeah it is true, 17 years is pretty young, so avoid spending too much money on online games.

I used to be just like you. Listen just put money onto PokerStars and be prepared to lose it, the more time you put in the better you will get, and one day you will look at your stats and notice (in utter amazement) that you have like 12k in tournament winnings. I swear I have no idea how things like that happen but for some reason they do in this game.I will warn you though, dont let this take over your life. Be sure to have a healthy balance, trust me this is very important. To much poker will make you go crazy, (I know because i play way to much poker and its messing me up psychologically, im a freak.).

Learn 5 card Draw and build your bankroll on Stars playing .50/1 or 1/2 .Probably can make $200 a week or so...You probably wont take this advice though

Learn 5 card Draw and build your bankroll on Stars playing .50/1 or 1/2 .Probably can make $200 a week or so...You probably wont take this advice though
He prob wont but imo he shud at least try 5 card draw out. That goes for all the games,,

Hello, I'm 17 as well, and I'm starting to enjoy poker more and more. I started only a few months ago, and luck crossed my way when i received my first stake (and first real cash encounter on stars) and mincashed for about $10. The staker was kind and let me keep my winnings, and since then I have been playing on that roll. I guess what I'm trying to say is, you don't need any big deposit to be able to play with real cash.I suggest you start of on the lowest limit games you can find. Starting out on tournies right away can be quite hard without a larger roll, personally I found Lhe suitable as a grinding game (I grinded Lhe and used my winnings to play tournaments). Find a game you can beat then work your way updards from there. It will take time and effort, but you will also learn a lot. Starting in higher limit games might increase your learning curve, but there is also a chance you will keep going broke and have to keep depositing, unless you learn and adapt to the game very fast. I have recently experienced some luck in the $3.30 turbos (which I'm currently grinding), so tell me what you like to play and maybe I'll stake you for something :club: Read the strat forums and post hands you wounder about, so many awesome poker players here that offer alot of help to us rookies.Oh, and v v v v very important: Have patience! Most of your poker days will suck, especially if you play mtts. Don't let it affect your game!

Currently I am 17, I started playing not seriously when i was 15. I was attracted to the game through ESPN's WSOP. I always thought that Negreanu's game was always fun to watch. Right now I am becoming more interested in perhaps actually depositing money onto Poker Stars and playing seriously. The playchip tournaments are getting annoying. I am still in school and I am trying to run some hold'em tournaments after school. My question is : should i consider depositing my first dollars in? Since i prefer tournaments over cash games, would it be a good idea for me to be a online tourney player? My only training is Dan Harrington's on Hold'em VOL I-III. Not many other people may age consider what I am doing, but i am very drawn to the game. Any words of advice? Thanks.
Just play poker 2 hours a week. That's all. You're 17. That's a window of opportunity that's soon to close forever.
No offense but i lol'd at this one. But yeah it is true, 17 years is pretty young, so avoid spending too much money on online games.
No offense taken, it was meant to be a warning. I was going for don't beg for the money, and don't steal the money.

the most important lesson to learn is bankroll management, and that is one lesson you will probably learn the hard way, like i have. never play what you can't afford. you dont want to be playing a game where the min buyin is your whole bankroll, im not saying you cant win like that, but its a huge risk, and even if you play your best you can still zero. it may take weeks to build a bankroll, but it only takes minutes to lose it.

Thanks for all the advice!1. I plan to finish highschool and college, that is a no brainer.2. I get 20 a week for allowance, I also work occasionally. Should I just deposit the minimum of 10 dollars and try to build a bankroll? So this would mean, no tourneys and just small cash games or just micro sit and gos.3. I have a social life and I know their has to be a balance. I also have school as well. But i think 2 hours a week is too little. I want to get better I think I would need to put in more. Maybe like 30mins-1 hour 3-4 times a week?4. I love to play this game, and I hope if I continue in a few years I will be a decent tournament player.5. I enjoy the intensity, the mind games- the psychological aspect of it, the study of it, everything about it makes it fun.6. I do well in play chip tourneys, but they're only playchips.7. I really hope to pursue Hold'em but perhaps I'll try the other variants. But Hold'em really attracts my attention.8. What is a stake? or staker? How did you get the person to get you a deposit?

I just recently turned 18, I am still in high school as well.My advice to you:1. Deposit atleast $50, so you can afford to lose a bit when you start.2. Use good bankroll management.I use a strict bankroll management that has worked for me. I've made $50 into $330 in a few months.That bankroll management is:* Never buy into a cash game with more than 5% of your bankroll.* Never buy into a single table tournament with more than 5% of your bankroll.* Never buy into a MTT tournament with more than 2% of your bankroll.* At any time when your playing a cash game and the money on the table represents more than 10% of your bankroll, leave that game when the blinds get to you.Use that and you won't go bust, or you'll go bust slooooowly.

Thanks for all the advice!1. I plan to finish highschool and college, that is a no brainer.2. I get 20 a week for allowance, I also work occasionally. Should I just deposit the minimum of 10 dollars and try to build a bankroll? So this would mean, no tourneys and just small cash games or just micro sit and gos.3. I have a social life and I know their has to be a balance. I also have school as well. But i think 2 hours a week is too little. I want to get better I think I would need to put in more. Maybe like 30mins-1 hour 3-4 times a week?4. I love to play this game, and I hope if I continue in a few years I will be a decent tournament player.5. I enjoy the intensity, the mind games- the psychological aspect of it, the study of it, everything about it makes it fun.6. I do well in play chip tourneys, but they're only playchips.7. I really hope to pursue Hold'em but perhaps I'll try the other variants. But Hold'em really attracts my attention.8. What is a stake? or staker? How did you get the person to get you a deposit?
A stake is usually a buyin to a specific tournament.Backing is what happens when someone sets up a set amount of time for a deal where it is a shared profit system.Check General Poker for information on the latter, there are some threads.

Focus on school, play poker for fun. If you try to take it too seriously it will take over your life and you will be miserable. After school get a good job so you can deposit as much as you want online and play whatever stakes and games you want whenever you want.

damned Norweigans
Just play poker 2 hours a week. That's all. You're 17. That's a window of opportunity that's soon to close forever.
Focus on school, play poker for fun. If you try to take it too seriously it will take over your life and you will be miserable. After school get a good job so you can deposit as much as you want online and play whatever stakes and games you want whenever you want.
notice the tone of the advice that the people who have been around for while and have shown success. if you have fun playing then play and have fun.don't expect too much though. you have about the same chances as you do of being a rockstar.

Before going online you need to organize a home game or try to find one. This is how I first started to learn poker and it's one of the best ways.You need to read books and reread those books and really understand what they are saying.You can play more than 2 hours a week, thats like 1 tournament a week...

#1. Make sure you're of legal age to play.
i was surprised to see this wasn't in everyone's post...play play chips until legal age FTW, it will be very helpful, and can still be fun, you will learn some (but not a lot as it's hard to get good competition on play chips) but if you can't win at play chips you for sure won't win at real money, so either way its helpful.that is my suggestion.