Zach's Playoff Bracket Pool

This is a pool I ran since the 6th grade, and tweaked the scoring and process a little bit, but ran it all the way through to at least the 1st year of University (so that 9 years, at least, and even got started at the young age of 11. :club:)General:It's open to anyone.Payouts will be decided on at a later date (ie, when I know how many we have total), but in general, it'll mimic a flat tournament pay out structure, or SNG. Traditionally, we've had 12-15 guys when we were in grade school, and usually paid top 3, with third either getting his money back, or double it. It'll follow along similarly in this case, but if we get enough people, might add a 4th or 5th place, etc. 1st will be a big chunk, though. The payouts will be determined at my discretion, but will be released early in the 1st round, once I've received all the picks.It's a simple bracket pool. However, since the NHL reseeds, you have to make picks once per round. There's usually a day or two between each round, so your window should be big enough to PM me the picks (I'll make sure to clear my inbox).Scoring:1st round: 2 points for picking the correct team in each series, 2 points for picking the correct number of games for each series. (32 points available)2nd round: 3 points for picking the correct team in each series, 2 points for picking the correct number of games for each series. (20 points available)3rd round: 4 points for picking the correct team in each series, 2 points for picking the correct number of games for each series. (12 points available)4th round: 5 points for picking the correct team in each series, 2 points for picking the correct number of games for each series. (7 points available)Just a note, you will be able to receive points for picking the correct number of games, regardless of whether or not you picked the winning team. If you took Philly in 4 (for some reason), and Pittsburgh ended up winning in 4, you still get the 2 points.As you guys can see, the 1st round is the most important, but the values rise a little in the later rounds. It provides people who fall a little bit behind a small chance to catch up, but it also means that guys who fall too far behind, need a miracle. It has a bit of an elimination effect that Gruven was referring to in the other thread. This scoring system has worked well for us over the years, and always ends up with the title being decided on the last days.Making Picks:You will be picking the winner of each series, and guessing the number of games, for each round. Before each round, send me a PM with your picks. Deadline will be 1 hour before the first game of that round.Cost:The cost will be $10, as guys pointed out that they wanted it to be a cheaper thing. We traditionally have done $20, so if you guys want to raise it to that, we can go with majority rules, or whatever.Payments can be made to my Full Tilt account (crveza) or to Serge in the same way he's accepted payments for anything else (is this ok Serge?)Round 1:Eastern Conference:(1) Boston Bruins vs. (8) Montreal Canadiens(2) Washington Capitals vs. (7) New York Rangers(3) New Jersey Devils vs. (6) Carolina Hurricanes(4) Pittsburgh Penguins vs (5) Philadelphia FlyersWestern Conference:(1) San Jose Sharks vs. (8) Anaheim Ducks(2) Detroit Red Wings vs. (7) Columbus Blue Jackets(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. (6) St. Louis Blues(4) Chicago Blackhawks vs (5) Calgary FlamesPicks and payment is due by Wednesday, April 15, 2009 by 6 pm EST.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to add, for fairness, put something like "Round 1 Picks" in the title, and I won't read it until after the deadline, since I have to make my own picks. It's not much of a big deal for the 1st round, but as we get to the end, knowing what the people closest to you have chosen is obviously quite powerful. When we get into the 2nd and 3rd round, I'll swap my picks with someone like Serge or Dale long before the deadline. I'm not reading any PM's, for that reason, until I've thought out my picks a bit, so if there are any questions, toss them in here.

Just wanted to add, for fairness, put something like "Round 1 Picks" in the title, and I won't read it until after the deadline, since I have to make my own picks. It's not much of a big deal for the 1st round, but as we get to the end, knowing what the people closest to you have chosen is obviously quite powerful. When we get into the 2nd and 3rd round, I'll swap my picks with someone like Serge or Dale long before the deadline. I'm not reading any PM's, for that reason, until I've thought out my picks a bit, so if there are any questions, toss them in here.
Sigh, if it's not too late, don't open the pm I sent you titled "nude pics of my sister". Thanks.

I'm in if you or serge will take a paypal payment. And is it US$ or CAN$?

in. serge, i calculate that i was up $30 on our wagers this year as my your official thread - should i just deduct $10 from that for my entry fee or do you want me to ship $10 for this seperately?thanks.

in. serge, i calculate that i was up $30 on our wagers this year as my your official thread - should i just deduct $10 from that for my entry fee or do you want me to ship $10 for this seperately?thanks.
Yes this is fine. No need to ship, I will ship you $20 if and once this takes off.
As long as serge is willing to accept payments for me, he'll take on paypal. No one has shown any interest in $20 yet, so we'll just do $10 USD.
Iam ok with paypal..Its just that they take off the annoying fee.
Yes this is fine. No need to ship, I will ship you $20 if and once this takes off.Iam ok with paypal..Its just that they take off the annoying fee.
How much is the fee, ill add it. and is the email address posted somewhere?
How much is the fee, ill add it. and is the email address posted somewhere?
email address is sergetoronto@yahoo.comits not a big deal the fee..Something like 2%. On $10 or $20 doesnt matter really.

ok lets get this pool running..I am assuming a deadline of 7pm Eastern Wednesday is good to get picks into Zach..$10 to enter. Zach is awesome..But i have a small prediction. In about 10 days time he will be a very upset Pens fan.. :club:

ok lets get this pool running..I am assuming a deadline of 7pm Eastern Wednesday is good to get picks into Zach..$10 to enter. Zach is awesome..But i have a small prediction. In about 10 days time he will be a very upset Pens fan.. :club:
Try reading the original post.

Picks PM'd. Money sent to serge. Awaiting conformation of receipt.