2009 Official Los Angeles Dodgers Thread

From the local paper"The Phillies haven't announced their NLCS rotation, but every indication is that Hamels will get the Game 1 start.Joe Blanton, J.A. Happ and Pedro Martinez would all be options for Game 2 and then Cliff Lee could come back with an extra day of rest in Game 3.The Dodgers also have been mum, but the extra time off means that manager Joe Torre can use any of his starters. The first three probably will be Clayton Kershaw and former Phillies Randy Wolf and Vicente Padilla, although not necessarily in that order."PM are the Dodgers real going to use Wolf and Padilla? wolf i get cause he can hit his spots and throws that super slow curve but Padilla? unless he has improved a huge amount i doubt he will get past the 5th inning.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You own them, baseball is not football. There is much more mental in baseball and when you are inside a teams head it is awesome. (Red Sox / Angels)
FYPOh wait.This year feels just like last year. Everybody picking the Dodgers to lose in round one, getting a gift in game two, sweeping the series, confidence soaring...I still have my doubts.Ethier doesn't hit lefties; that's a big problem. Hopefully Fox can fix it for the dream Yankees-Dodgers match up.
FYPOh wait.This year feels just like last year. Everybody picking the Dodgers to lose in round one, getting a gift in game two, sweeping the series, confidence soaring...I still have my doubts.Ethier doesn't hit lefties; that's a big problem. Hopefully Fox can fix it for the dream Yankees-Dodgers match up.
hmmm that is a shame. how is the rest of the line up VS lefties? You are going to see one 6 out of 7 games. To be honest I don't think you have the pitching to win. I have not seen a lot of the Dodgers (East coast sleeping thing) so that opinion may be dead wrong but if Wolf and Padilla are in the rotation and being counted on...I will have to ask my son what he sees. The boys lives on ESPN and knows way more then i do.bets anyone?
hmmm that is a shame. how is the rest of the line up VS lefties?
I think (emphasis on think) that Kemp mashes lefties and Blake is also much better against lefties, but Ethier and Loney are worse. Manny probably doesn't care who is out there.I don't think the Dodgers have the pitching either, but then they did lead the majors in ERA, so there's that.

OPS vs RHP / LHPFurcal - .679 / .815 Ethier - .960 / .629Manny - .963 / .893Kemp - .782 / 1.045Loney - .750 / .779Blake - .783 / 1.005Martin - .660 / .756Apparently it's only Ethier that has a bad split against lefties, while Furcal, Kemp, Blake, and Martin are all significantly better.

hmmm that is a shame. how is the rest of the line up VS lefties? You are going to see one 6 out of 7 games. To be honest I don't think you have the pitching to win. I have not seen a lot of the Dodgers (East coast sleeping thing) so that opinion may be dead wrong but if Wolf and Padilla are in the rotation and being counted on...I will have to ask my son what he sees. The boys lives on ESPN and knows way more then i do.bets anyone?
Like I said in my last post, my doubts about the Dodgers stem from their starting pitching. Wolf has probably been our most consistent starter all year so I don't have too many issues with him pitching, but I don't really trust Padilla regardless how he pitched vs STL. Billingsley turning into a loser didn't help their chances much.We shall see what happens, but even with home field advantage I don't think many people will view the Dodgers as the favorites in the series.And as Joey pointed out, the LHP will really only be a problem for the Dodgers when it comes to Ethier. He is a huge part of their offense, but comparatively, the Dodgers handle LHP better then the Phils do and you guys will also be seeing a ton of it. Not only Kershaw + Wolf, but Kuo + Sherrill out of the bullpen and possibly Elbert if he makes the roster.
OPS vs RHP / LHPFurcal - .679 / .815 Ethier - .960 / .629Manny - .963 / .893Kemp - .782 / 1.045Loney - .750 / .779Blake - .783 / 1.005Martin - .660 / .756Apparently it's only Ethier that has a bad split against lefties, while Furcal, Kemp, Blake, and Martin are all significantly better.
You forgot Belliard (who I guess is the starter now; I have some issues with that but that's a diff subject). He has an .841 OPS vs LHP and a .749 vs RHP, which are actually lower than he has performed since joining LA.Ethier is a big one though; if he could consistently hit LHP my man crush would be complete. Having Thome on the bench will help negate the LHP out of the bullpen a bit (who do you use your top LHP reliever vs, Ethier or save him for a Thome appearance?) but that does nothing to help vs the LH starters.
I think (emphasis on think) that Kemp mashes lefties and Blake is also much better against lefties, but Ethier and Loney are worse. Manny probably doesn't care who is out there.I don't think the Dodgers have the pitching either, but then they did lead the majors in ERA, so there's that.
So true when Manny is locked he is scary good...can't wait for it to get started.

Well the game certainly was not a let down. It wans't real well played, I expect improved play by both teams this afternoon. Many missed opportunities by both squads...Hammels was a let down. Both teams got in trouble by being stupid LA walking the Hammels to set up the top, Philly cause J-rol boots a double play ball that end the inning.All in all fun start!!BTW last night I got the phillies for a nickle STR8 up in the series.

I was at both games in La; more energy from the crowd in game 1, but that might have had something to do with how hot it was on Friday. It was pretty important to split at home; teams that lose both games at home in the LCS to start the series are 0-10, teams that split the first two are 16-10. Pretty big difference....Hopefully they can at least win one in Philly to send it back to LA for sure.

Last night was to easy...not sure what happened to LA but it was over before it started. Typical Philly play-off crowd. The parking lots were full of tailgaters. Over the last couple years Phillies crowds have started taking on the Eagles tailgate mentality.

Kuroda sucked is what happened.Beat the Yankees please.
I hope, LA is gonna come out desparate tonight. They know they have to have tonight. This is the dangerous game with both teams deep into their rotations.

Well this game certainly didn't leave anything on the table...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
I'm surprised you didn't go Montreal Expos here.This situation is such a disaster. To destroy a team like the Dodgers takes some work. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a salary dump forthcoming.Hiroki Kuroda - $11,765,724 Andre Ethier - $9,500,000 Ted Lilly - $8,166,667 Matt Kemp - $7,100,000 Jonathan Broxton - $7,000,000 Chad Billingsley - $6,275,000 Casey Blake - $5,500,000 Juan Uribe - $5,295,911 James Loney - $4,875,000 Wait, Hiroki Kuroda is the highest paid Dodger?
  • 1 year later...