2009 Official Los Angeles Dodgers Thread

Meh, as I said at the beginning of the year (and this thread), they are a flawed team. Even if they manage to not blow the division I can't see them getting by STL let alone Philly. Bills has taken a step back, Manny looks pretty marginal at best, and they aren't playing with much spark at all. An easy schedule doesn't mean a thing if you get your asses kicked by the DBacks, even if they have been playing better.I'm pretty sick of baseball season at this point and my team has the best record in the NL lol. Hopefully they can turn things around and look like a team capable of winning the WS before the playoffs start, but they aren't showing many signs of that.
If anybody can turn them around it's Torre.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about a team that looks like it is ready to get swept out of the first round of the playoffs...I said they were flawed in April (no ace) and they still are. Anything can happen once you get to the playoffs obviously, but this team is giving no indication that they are suddenly going to turn it on against better competition. I wouldn't be overly shocked if the Rockies swept them to end the year, and win the division. Same thing happened in 1996 or 95 I think vs Padres; we had a playoff spot clinched and were 3 up with 3 left at home vs SD, and they swept us to win the division via tie breaker. Manny looks pretty bad (steroids or no, when did he get a big loop in his swing...), Ethier is in one of his slumps, and the defense has even gotten sloppy.I didn't buy NLDS tickets; if they happen to get by whoever they play in the 1st round, I will probably go down there for an NLCS game or two, but I will wait and see how they look.

I didn't buy NLDS tickets; if they happen to get by whoever they play in the 1st round, I will probably go down there for an NLCS game or two, but I will wait and see how they look.
Randy Wolf in Game 1, ugh.Do you have friends to go with? I want to go. All my friends are Padre and Angel fans.
Randy Wolf in Game 1, ugh.Do you have friends to go with? I want to go. All my friends are Padre and Angel fans.
The gf is a fan, and my brother is a big fan, but if they get there and I'm going to get tickets you are more then welcome to tag along.Randy Wolfe vs Carpenter....Wainwright vs Kershaw....sigh. Best case scenario we pull something out of our ass in the NLDS and the Rockies beat the Phils.
The gf is a fan, and my brother is a big fan, but if they get there and I'm going to get tickets you are more then welcome to tag along.Randy Wolfe vs Carpenter....Wainwright vs Kershaw....sigh. Best case scenario we pull something out of our ass in the NLDS and the Rockies beat the Phils.
Cardinals suck against lefties. Meh.
Yes! Let me know when you're getting the tickets. If it happens, of course.
Green = called ballsRed = called strikesstrikezone.pngHmm...(Yes, I realize that it's probably not the most accurate graphic in the world, but still amusing.)
It felt like Kershaw was getting squeezed a bit today, but I want every close to pitch so I don't know how accurate my judgement is.

By the way, I loved Torre's move to bring Broxton in to face the 3-4-5 hitters in the 8th inning (even though Broxton scares me every time he pitches).

By the way, I loved Torre's move to bring Broxton in to face the 3-4-5 hitters in the 8th inning (even though Broxton scares me every time he pitches).
Yeah that showed more logic than I am used to with MLB managers and their use of the bullpen.

So, watching the Colorado/Philly game last night I was really torn on who I wanted to win. On the one hand, the Dodgers have absolutely torn Colorado apart all season, so I'd love to play them, however, the weather conditions in Colorado right now are pretty terrible and with the Dodgers being a warm weather team, I fear we could have problems there. On the other hand, we didn't do as well against Philly this year and it can get cold there too, so I just don't know who to root for. Curious what other Dodger fans like PMJ think and whether anybody thinks we have a real chance, or if we're just heading for NLCS disappointment like last year.

So, watching the Colorado/Philly game last night I was really torn on who I wanted to win. On the one hand, the Dodgers have absolutely torn Colorado apart all season, so I'd love to play them, however, the weather conditions in Colorado right now are pretty terrible and with the Dodgers being a warm weather team, I fear we could have problems there. On the other hand, we didn't do as well against Philly this year and it can get cold there too, so I just don't know who to root for. Curious what other Dodger fans like PMJ think and whether anybody thinks we have a real chance, or if we're just heading for NLCS disappointment like last year.
I went back and forth on who I wanted them to play. Like you said, they owned the Rockies all year (14-4) and the Phillies _are_ the better team of the two. However, like in football where the old axiom is that it is hard to beat a good team 3 times in a year, playing the Rockies might have been playing with fire one time too many. I mean, the Dodgers are a better team than the Rockies, but not to the extreme in which we played them this year. In poker terminology, I think they were running above expectation vs the Rockies.A part of me also wants to play the Phillies because they are the defending champs who knocked the Dodgers out last year, and it would be fitting to have to go through them. Again to make a football reference, if the Steve Young 49ers team that won the Super Bowl didn't have to go through their arch nemesis Dallas in the NFC Championship, the Super Bowl win would have been a little less satisfying. Also, we have played the Rockies 18 times this year; playing them 4-7 more would be a little boring. Same logic applies to the World Series for me; I'd enjoy a series vs the Yankees more, both for the challenge/history and for the fact that we play the Angels two series a year already.Lol, I'd also be more annoyed losing to a Jim Tracy led Rockies team than the Phillies, and more to the Dodgers competitor in the Southland than to the Yankees.Whoever I wanted them to play, I def wanted it to go 5 games. If it had done so, I'm pretty sure the Phillies would have had to go with Happ and Martinez in games 1 and 2, since Lee pitched tonight and Hammels was slated for game 5. As it is now, I think the Dodgers won't see Lee until Philadelphia (def not for game 1 on thurs and fri would be pushing it), but Hammels will pitch game 1 I assume.As for whether or not they have a shot, I feel better about them then I did for most of the 2nd half, but I still find it hard to believe that a team without a dominant starter can pull it off. The bullpen has been great, but having to rely on them night in and night out might be expecting too much. Manny showing signs of waking up in game 3 could be something that gives them a shot though.I have tickets to games 1 and 2, so hopefully I can see at least one Dodgers victory.
I went back and forth on who I wanted them to play. Like you said, they owned the Rockies all year (14-4) and the Phillies _are_ the better team of the two. However, like in football where the old axiom is that it is hard to beat a good team 3 times in a year, playing the Rockies might have been playing with fire one time too many. I mean, the Dodgers are a better team than the Rockies, but not to the extreme in which we played them this year. In poker terminology, I think they were running above expectation vs the Rockies.A part of me also wants to play the Phillies because they are the defending champs who knocked the Dodgers out last year, and it would be fitting to have to go through them. Again to make a football reference, if the Steve Young 49ers team that won the Super Bowl didn't have to go through their arch nemesis Dallas in the NFC Championship, the Super Bowl win would have been a little less satisfying. Also, we have played the Rockies 18 times this year; playing them 4-7 more would be a little boring. Same logic applies to the World Series for me; I'd enjoy a series vs the Yankees more, both for the challenge/history and for the fact that we play the Angels two series a year already.Lol, I'd also be more annoyed losing to a Jim Tracy led Rockies team than the Phillies, and more to the Dodgers competitor in the Southland than to the Yankees.Whoever I wanted them to play, I def wanted it to go 5 games. If it had done so, I'm pretty sure the Phillies would have had to go with Happ and Martinez in games 1 and 2, since Lee pitched tonight and Hammels was slated for game 5. As it is now, I think the Dodgers won't see Lee until Philadelphia (def not for game 1 on thurs and fri would be pushing it), but Hammels will pitch game 1 I assume.As for whether or not they have a shot, I feel better about them then I did for most of the 2nd half, but I still find it hard to believe that a team without a dominant starter can pull it off. The bullpen has been great, but having to rely on them night in and night out might be expecting too much. Manny showing signs of waking up in game 3 could be something that gives them a shot though.I have tickets to games 1 and 2, so hopefully I can see at least one Dodgers victory.
I havn't heard anything about the Game 2 starter yet here in Philly. I know you will get Hammels in game 1, I believe you will get Blanton or Happ in 2. That leaves you with Lee in game 3....from what i saw glancing at the game dates you are going to get Hammels and Lee in games 6 and 7 if needed...The Dodgers are a good ball team and I fully expect a tough series but to comment on your questions above about who you wanted to play...you wanted to play Colorado. You own them, baseball is not football. There is much more mental in baseball and when you are inside a teams head it is awesome. (Phillies / Mets) Plus the Phillies are a better team then Colorado.Good luck it should be fun.