Read Anything Sweet Lately?

I read a lot, and feel like I've been stuck in a rut lately as far as reading the same subject matters over and over. I like reading a lot of scientific stuff (Richard Dawkins, Robert Wright, E.O. Wilson, etc.) along with most of the staples of the Western canon of literature (Dostoevsky, Vonnegut, Puzo, Price, etc.). Got any recommendations for me?For you all, I recommend 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. Ciao. Back to sporadic lurkage for the next six months or so.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you would like to try something new you should check out Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff by Christopher Moore. It's about Jesus' first 30 or so years told by his best friend Biff. It is one of the funniest books I've ever read.

Since I'm such a book nerd I have a list on my computer that I share anytime someone asks me for a book list.(Robert Greene is pretty fantastical! Read his other two books if you haven't already and he is coming out with a new one I believe by the end of the summer.)Sellevision -Augusten BurroughsThe Player - Michael TolkinThe Red and The Black - StendhalThe Thurber Carnival - James ThurberLord of the Flies - William GoldingThe Swann's Way - Marcel ProustBrighton Beach Memoirs - Neil SimonGrub - Elise BlackwellThe Making of a Counter Culture - Theodore RozakThe Pearl - John SteinbeckThe Rum Diaries - Hunter S. ThompsonCandide - VoltaireLeaving Las Vegas - John O'BrienA Clockwork Orange - BurgessMeditations - Marcus AureliusThe Archivist - Martha CooleySteppenwolf - Hermann HesseHoot - Carl HiaasenThe Prince and The Discourses - MachiavelliDiary of a Seducer - Soren KierkegaardTropic of Capricorn - Henry MillerTropic of Cancer - Henry MillerL4yer Cake - J. J. ConnollyFast Food Nation - Eric SchlosserThe Decameron - BoccaccioMurder in the Cathedral - T.S. ElliotThat's not in my American History Book - AyersThe Manchurian Candidate - CondonDaddy Needs a Drink - Robert WilderThe Beach - Alex GarlandThings my Girlfriend and I have Argued About - Mil MillingtonGeeks - Jon KatzThe Intuitionist - Colson WhiteheadWhite Noise - Don DelilloThe Hottest State - Ethan HawkeLeviathan - Thomas HobbesPerfume - Patrick SuskindThe Stranger - Albert CamusAnd Then There Were None - Agatha ChristieEquation for Evil - Philip CaputoThe Professor, The Banker and the Suicide King - Michael CraigThe Black Pearl - Scott O'DellRequiem for a Dream - Hubert SelbyThe Buzzing - Jim KnipfelThe Revisionist - Helen SchulmannHelter Skelter - Vincent BugliosiPicturing the Wreck - Dani ShapiroLove and Obits - John Ed BradleyALl Quiet on the Orient Express - Magnus MillsPlans for a Mushroom Radio - Michael RichardsonYou Can get Arrested for That? Rich SmithTo add a few more names, anything by Charles Bukowski, Bill Bryson, J.D. Salinger or Nick Hornby.

ayn rand is a dumbass. this is not an exaggeration.
lol. She's a dumbass because she created a philosophy which values logic and reason above emotion? A little ironic that you make a completely subjective comment about the most objective person.
I highly recommend Atlas Shrugged. I Just finished it recently.
I haven't read Atlas Shrugged, I have read The Fountainhead and all I really remember is that it was long and complicated and I don't think I really got it. From what I've seen of Atlas Shrugged it's more of the same. If you want to read something by Ayn Rand, I highly recommend Anthem...it's short (like 100 pages), but excellent. For the OP, I highly recommend Ender's Game (and it's many sequels) by Orson Scott Card.
lol. She's a dumbass because she created a philosophy which values logic and reason above emotion? A little ironic that you make a completely subjective comment about the most objective person.
she takes the worst of nietzsche and the worst of science, puts them together, and creates a philosophy that would annihilate anything resembling the essence of humanity if actually enacted.and she doesn't write well.i'll borrow from dirtydutch here: she's also into rape scenes, so i guess her work has some sort of redemptive quality.if you want to understand the relationship between individualism and the collective, there are lots of philosophers you can read that understand the importance of both. nietzsche is a good start if you think rand is on to something--thus spoke zarathustra, on the genealogy of morals, and beyond good and evil would be the three key works to that end.also, fwiw, objectivity is fundamentally a myth, imo. that's not to say that it's an altogether useless one, but it's a myth nonetheless.
she takes the worst of nietzsche and the worst of science, puts them together, and creates a philosophy that would annihilate anything resembling the essence of humanity if actually enacted.and she doesn't write well.i'll borrow from dirtydutch here: she's also into rape scenes, so i guess her work has some sort of redemptive quality.if you want to understand the relationship between individualism and the collective, there are lots of philosophers you can read that understand the importance of both. nietzsche is a good start if you think rand is on to something--thus spoke zarathustra, on the genealogy of morals, and beyond good and evil would be the three key works to that end.also, fwiw, objectivity is fundamentally a myth, imo. that's not to say that it's an altogether useless one, but it's a myth nonetheless.
you're a myth
You're a myth.
FYP slightly. Punctuation and all. (I'm a dick about that stuff. Nuns in grade school beat it into me.)Pardon me now while I puke after trying to digest all the gibberish from the "College Graduates."

I will be adding a new quote to my sig:"if you want to understand the relationship between individualism and the collective"Talk to checkymcfold.Have a few drinks before you do it.

I don't think she takes anything from Nietzsche. She only owes credit to Aristotle, which I think is the only philosopher to influence her work. I don't agree with you that it would annihilate humanity, unless you of course you're talking about annihilating the individuals who contribute nothing to society yet demand everything from it. I think she writes well, so meh.I have read some of Nietzsche's work including Thus Spoke Zarathustra, and I'm not quite sure how you can say 'importance of the collective'. His work is against religion, nationalism and mass movements. Like Rand, he underlines the importance of the individual. Nietzsche's work is a nice compliment to Rand's, but if you want to compare them, Rand's is more practical and is geared more towards achieving happiness.Feel free to further explain how objectivity is a myth. To say that logic and reason are myths is to deny reality, to deny existence. Logic is the only absolute human's have; I don't think there's anything mythical about that.Edit: http://pinchmysalt.com/2008/11/10/red-velvet-cake-recipe/ This might be the greatest looking cake ever.

I read The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King by Michael Craig. I thought it was a good book.I just changed my sig! :club:

If your being serious and want something different to read try some Irvine Welsh novels. "Trainspotting" is probably the best place to start especially if you have not seen the film.