so i've been playin gor 3-4 years now and i'm finally pulling together some results and using good bankroll management etc.....im just curious on how some of you got your roll....did u grind it up from a small deposit...get a nice tourny win early on...or just have a really good job and deposited into the bigger stakes straight away.and was you a winning player straight away or did you have a length of time where u was a losing player whilst developing your game....any cool and interesting stories are welcome :club:

I started school at Virginia Tech in the fall of 2005. I quickly learned that my roommate played online poker on party poker and made a pretty decent montly allowance playing 5.50$ sng's. I had dabbled in some 5$ tourneys with friends in high school and some v. low stakes cash games with the lacrosse team but that had been about all the experience i had at the time. I had also played some online freerolls in high school so I was somewhat familiar with the online poker boom. Anyways, every couple days or so I'd hand him a 5$ bill and ask to play a sng on his acct. I still rememember coming in 4th (bubbled) my first 5 sng's online and how demoralizing it was. After a month or 2.. he suggested that we just share the acct and I handed him 50$ and we kept track of wins/losses using excel. It was a fun year... I ran it up to over 8k in about 3 days at one point playing up to 10/20 online.. before I busted it all within the next week. It was a good lesson I guess. Sophomore year at school (Fall of 06), I made my own acct and was your typical play whatever I felt like whenever I felt like it kinda player. I definitely wasnt very good... but I had started reading poker forums and read some strategy and stuff so I maybe had a slight edge at the stakes I was playing. For whatever reasons, mtt's sparked my interest the most and I played almost strictly low buyin mtt's for most of this time. I wasnt doing so hot in school and decided to take the winter semester off of school to figure out wtf I wanted to do with my life. I got a job back home in the mailroom of an architectural firm which I pretty much hated.. and I played online poker with my freetime. Months go by and at this point I am a pretty avid reader of fcp I was getting a few final tables here and there.. and making a little bit of $ from online poker. (Summer 07) I play an 8.80$ FO sat to the FTP 500k (216$ entry) top 2 got seats... and I remember having 80% of the chips in play 4 handed... I got the seat. At the time you couldnt take the T$ so I played it and luckboxed my way to a 2nd place finish for 65,000$... wtf. I insta-withdrew all of it and kept playing the same limits I had played prior to this score. I wasnt going to kid myself into thinking I was the best player in the universe cuz i godmoded a sunday major. I went back to school in the fall and did pretty well. I switched majors to political science and had a good fall semester but then pretty much decided to stop going in the spring semester. During this time I improved my tournament game by leaps and bounds but still was nowhere near a good mtt player.(Feb 08) This is right around the time where I just started to hate school and stopped going to class... I just had no desire to finish something that led me towards a 9-5 desk job that I was gonna hate the rest of my life... I realize it sounds stupid but I just never could see myself doing something for decades that I absolutely hated.. and this was my biggest fear. Anyways... I log onto fcp and open a thread that had an absolutely huge impact on my life. http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...howtopic=117252I applied and got chosen and without sounding too much like a tj fanboy... let me just say that he taught me SOOOOO MUCH... stuff that I would have absolutely never learned on my own or through training websites or books, and I'd like to think I taught him a few things too. Even now, I still learn something new from him almost every day or see a new way to look at a hand etc. etc. etc. So we do coaching sessions, sweat sessions, review Hand histories, etc. for the next few months. It starts to die down a little and we still talk on aim ocasionally but it felt like it had pretty much run its course w/e.While I had had a few solid cashes during the time TJ had been coaching me, I quickly slipped into poor bankroll management habits and after a few weeks of running especially poorly, along with some bad play and higher limit shots, my bankroll was running on fumes. By august.. I was not going to school anymore... and was just really down on life. This is right around the time TJ offered to back me and things were looking up again. Wherever I was as a player.. lets say I was a good player with an edge in 75$ tourneys... I improved 100 fold over the next month. Results started showing and I was finally enjoying some steady profit from online tournaments.Fast forward to 2 weeks ago where I finished 8th in the FTP 500$ 1m guarantee for 21k... and I finally feel like its all paid off. That was only my second ever 5 figure cash and my first since starting with TJ. I owe him soooo much. He absolutely deserves every single dollar he's earned (even though he does run retarded good in majors :club:) Jeezy! <3Sorry for the ramble... I guess thats my poker story. Right now Im currently playing poker at least semi professionaly... to at least see how it works out. I can still go back to school (i've got about 2.5 years done) and there are plenty of other options out there for me.cliffnotes: im a luckbox.

This thread reminds me of this song Natasha Bedingfield - UnwrittenI am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefinedI'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplannedStaring at the blank page before youOpen up the dirty windowLet the sun illuminate the words that you could not findReaching for something in the distanceSo close you can almost taste itRelease your innovationsFeel the rain on your skinNo one else can feel it for youOnly you can let it inNo one else, no one elseCan speak the words on your lipsDrench yourself in words unspokenLive your life with arms wide openToday is where your book beginsThe rest is still unwrittenOh, oh, ohI break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the linesWe've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that wayStaring at the blank page before youOpen up the dirty windowLet the sun illuminate the words that you could not findReaching for something in the distanceSo close you can almost taste itRelease your inner visionsFeel the rain on your skinNo one else can feel it for youOnly you can let it inNo one else, no one elseCan speak the words on your lipsDrench yourself in words unspokenLive your life with arms wide openToday is where your book beginsFeel the rain on your skinNo one else can feel it for youOnly you can let it inNo one else, no one elseCan speak the words on your lipsDrench yourself in words unspokenLive your life with arms wide openToday is where your book beginsThe rest is still unwrittenStaring at the blank page before youOpen up the dirty windowLet the sun illuminate the words that you could not findReaching for something in the distanceSo close you can almost taste itRelease your inner visionsFeel the rain on your skinNo one else can feel it for youOnly you can let it inNo one else, no one elseCan speak the words on your lipsDrench yourself in words unspokenLive your life with arms wide openToday is where your book beginsFeel the rain on your skinNo one else can feel it for youOnly you can let it inNo one else, no one elseCan speak the words on your lipsDrench yourself in words unspokenLive your life with arms wide openToday is where your book beginsThe rest is still unwrittenThe rest is still unwrittenThe rest is still unwrittenOh, yeah, yeah

Hi! I'm a twelve year old girl!
lol jk. In all seriousness, I deposited $40 on Pokerstars in summer 2007. Struggled and paid my dues. One of FCP's old school Aussie's Loxo staked me in a forum $4.40 challenge. Made 3 consecutive FTs (including a ship) and ended up taking 2nd in the challenge. Took my share of the stake agreement and ground it up to almost a grand via sngs/mtts (and eventually my true love, mixed game cash). Cashed it all out to pay bills/move last year.In late December I Got staked to take ten bucks to run it to a hundo playing only .10/.20 fixed limit mixed games. Achieved that goal in about 3 weeks and have since ran it to over $1k. Since January this year.Moral of the story: I'm a decent player who runs even more like a Kenyan on someone else's dime than on my own.

five years ago i lost about $500 playing lhe. so i deposited $40 and started playing .05/.10 until i got where i am. i abhor hard work and sweat so it took me a long time but i think with a lot of it almost anybody could achieve what i have in 18 months.

started on party poker back in the just before moneymaker era. One of those "knows poker", but doesn't have a damn clue about the game. Was a steady 50 dollar deposit loser. Ended up luckboxing as a b/e player with a few idiot 200 buck SnG's that I somehow took down. no business succeeding, shoulda accumulated steeper losses, but luck can be a bitch. Hah.Fast forward to FTP years (2007-present)I play well outside of anything considered proper bankroll mgmt. My cousin plays on an at least semi-pro lvl, so when I feel like playing cards I have him loan me like 50-75 bucks. 9 times out of 10 I 2x to 3x that monies playing 10-30 buck HU Omaha. Then I ship him back his original funds and I just play with that profit money for weeks/months. Typically I'll end up getting my account from anywhere to 100-1000 of pure profit within 1-2 weeks of play. For the most part though, I end up donking off most of that money in a singular bad session or two a/k/a simple variance and a horrible night.I always tell myself that I want to get serious about bankroll management, for nothing else to always have a steady roll to play with online, and to just teach myself to steadily play at my leisure, and not "play every night for 2-4 weeks, either break even or cash slightly, and then take 4-6 weeks off". It's tough though when poker is just a hobby though.We'll see though...in this latest run, I ran my account up to 500 within 1 weeks (after giving cousin his funds back), and have since dwindled it down to 75 bucks and a 30+3 buy on FTP to the 80 seat stimulus special tourney.Perhaps I take a look at some threads on here regarding bankroll mgmt and some of these "challenge threads" and try and get smarter with the $$. We'll see.

I'm using the free $5 I got from Pokerstars March 1st and grinding the .01/.02 nl table....After 3200 hands played I'm up to $12.75.... :club:

this is my poker career in a nutshell.Win a bit in cash games, have a decent tourney cash, turn into a spewtard and lose half the money I just won, get drunk and lose more, go to strip club and lose the rest, take a break for a month, and cycle starts again.

Started seriously in 03 on Partypoker. As many at that time I was a habitual $50 depositor/loser. Then I started playing .50/1.00 NL smarter instead of shoving every draw, playing every pair etc, just looking to run it up big. I ran my roll to about 3k. At this point in my life I was in college for free (got the single biggest scholarship offered by the school, for only 1 year unfortunately) and had two real good jobs, so I decided to 'take a shot.' At the time the biggest games running on Party were 5/10NL games. I sat in them with my 1K roll (withdrew 2K for stupid crap I didn't need) I ran that 1 buy in up to about 30K within a week. Started to lose it back slowly as I clearly was out of my league. I eventually cashed out for around 17K. I pretty much became a recreational $5 SNG player throughout school.I graduated, got married etc. I am now 'serious' again on Stars as a micro/low level player using poker as a ~100-200 dollar a week supplement to my income.

messed around playing live the summer before i went to college, ie 2004. played freerolls on pokerroom or something, never cashed. my friend staked me for the party poker bonus signup, played limit. got enough points to unlock the money, went busto playing sngs. late in the year frosh year found royal vegas, got ten dolla fo free. messed around with that. played live homegames like nonstop that summer, did pretty well. started playing on ap/reading fcp fall of my soph year, won a 50 dolla freeroll which netted me a solid ten dollars. started grinding dollar sngs. eventually built my roll up to like 500 bucks, played in a 5 dollar tournament one night, won it for like 200. transferred 25 dollars to pstars, started playing the sngs there and pl08. had a gf, she wanted me to quit poker, so i did. missed poker more then i liked her, she was batshit crazy, broke up with her, started playing poker again. started reading thepokerhaus, then fall 2007 won a 5 dolla donkament on stars for like 1500. set a goal that poker would pay for my trip to world cup 2010. since then have crushed low stakes pl/nl08 pretty hard, and paid for my last two semesters of college. solid roi having never put any money online :club:

My poker career took a bad turn when I crossed DN in a few political threads. It wasn't going all that well anyway, but ever since then Aces never hold, not once, so what else am I supposed to think? Ahh, well. I can always sell bottled water on Vegas walkways.

frosh in HS in the year of 03 when i saw the wsop coverage for the first time, i had no idea what was going on. then i play in a home game after school every day for a few dollars. ever since then it was my dream to play poker professionally. dont practice proper BR management, and bust my roll regularly tilting money off when i know i am not in the mood to play. i have had 3-4 times where i was able to buil a decent roll 500-1000 but always had to withdraw for financial reasons (school etc.) now i am a college frosh getting ready to take grinding seriously.next story...

Started seriously in 03 on Partypoker. As many at that time I was a habitual $50 depositor/loser. Then I started playing .50/1.00 NL smarter instead of shoving every draw, playing every pair etc, just looking to run it up big. I ran my roll to about 3k. At this point in my life I was in college for free (got the single biggest scholarship offered by the school, for only 1 year unfortunately) and had two real good jobs, so I decided to 'take a shot.' At the time the biggest games running on Party were 5/10NL games. I sat in them with my 1K roll (withdrew 2K for stupid crap I didn't need) I ran that 1 buy in up to about 30K within a week. Started to lose it back slowly as I clearly was out of my league. I eventually cashed out for around 17K. I pretty much became a recreational $5 SNG player throughout school.I graduated, got married etc. I am now 'serious' again on Stars as a micro/low level player using poker as a ~100-200 dollar a week supplement to my income.
very cool
this is great post for the reason poker players love to talk about themselves :club:
naw, I like seeing different people's involvements in the game, levels of play, etc. on a very basic level.

Jeez there are some top draw players here :|Man, with all the major wins :|My Career:Started in November 08 (I'm only 15 btw). Won most of the house games i've been to, which has earnt me about £100. At the moment, i get too bored on the 0.1/0.2 nlh which leads me to become not disciplined enough in some of the cash games, which then = a loss. Gonna improve on that though...I would say im a poor cash game player atm, but a good tourney player. Came 7th in the FTP UK Freerole...Should have done better, was 2nd coming into the final table...lack of experience i guess. Oh and i envy all the FCP'ers who win in the thousands :club::ts

Jeez there are some top draw players here :|Man, with all the major wins :|My Career:Started in November 08 (I'm only 15 btw). Won most of the house games i've been to, which has earnt me about £100. At the moment, i get too bored on the 0.1/0.2 nlh which leads me to become not disciplined enough in some of the cash games, which then = a loss. Gonna improve on that though...I would say im a poor cash game player atm, but a good tourney player. Came 7th in the FTP UK Freerole...Should have done better, was 2nd coming into the final table...lack of experience i guess. Oh and i envy all the FCP'ers who win in the thousands :club::ts
YOu sound like me about 3 years ago. I killed those drunken high school home games.
YOu sound like me about 3 years ago. I killed those drunken high school home games.
Haha sweeeeeet :4h The high school games are teh bestest obvs :club::ts