09 Fantasy Baseball Thread

Have had a rough few days and need to get my mind off shit so I thought I would make a thread for us to post our teams this year, ask questions, stuff like that.I only have on teams. It's a 10 person league, head to head, been running for a few years. Tons of ridic stats that are scored...R, H, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, TB, FPCT, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS, W, CG, SHO, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9Here is my roster for this season...1. (6) Ryan Howard 1B2. (15) Tim Lincecum SP3. (26) Manny Ramírez OF4. (35) Ichiro Suzuki OF5. (46) Geovany Soto C6. (55) Joakim Soria RP7. (66) Chad Billingsley SP8. (75) Dan Uggla 2B9. (86) Bobby Jenks RP10. (95) Ryan Zimmerman 3B11. (106) Miguel Tejada SS12. (115) Willy Taveras OF13. (126) Scot Shields RP14. (135) Ted Lilly SP15. (146) Brian Wilson RP16. (155) Clayton Kershaw SP17. (166) Alex Gordon 3B18. (175) Kyle McClellan RP19. (186) Juan Pierre OF20. (195) James Loney 1B21. (206) Adam LaRoche 1B22. (215) Gil Meche SP23. (226) Kevin Kouzmanoff 3B24. (235) Rafael Pérez RP25. (246) Elijah Dukes SENT PACKING AND PICKED UP Cameron MaybinNot great but was happy to pick up Loney and LaRoche late.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Rotowire's handy dandy value generator with your league's inputs (minus FPCT, CG, SHO and Holds since RW didn't have those stats). Here's where they ranked your players1. (6) Ryan Howard 1B (25) - why so high?2. (15) Tim Lincecum SP (16) - I like the Freak3. (26) Manny Ramírez OF (47) - Boo Dodgers4. (35) Ichiro Suzuki OF (24) - Add in FPCT and he's probably higher5. (46) Geovany Soto C (72) - Catcher inflation6. (55) Joakim Soria RP (69) - I like the pick7. (66) Chad Billingsley SP (125) - Groin Strain ftw8. (75) Dan Uggla 2B (71)9. (86) Bobby Jenks RP (181)10. (95) Ryan Zimmerman 3B (65) - first big steal11. (106) Miguel Tejada SS (263) - go away steroid boy12. (115) Willy Taveras OF (572) - fielding can't make that big of a difference13. (126) Scot Shields RP (250)14. (135) Ted Lilly SP (87) - second big steal15. (146) Brian Wilson RP (245)16. (155) Clayton Kershaw SP (182)17. (166) Alex Gordon 3B (99) - third big steal18. (175) Kyle McClellan RP (339)19. (186) Juan Pierre OF (554) - Ask PMJackson about this guy20. (195) James Loney 1B (86) - fourth big steal21. (206) Adam LaRoche 1B (117) - fifth big steal22. (215) Gil Meche SP (195)23. (226) Kevin Kouzmanoff 3B (254)24. (235) Rafael Pérez RP (150) - this guy should close/Indians didn't need Kerry Wood25. (246) Elijah Dukes SENT PACKING AND PICKED UP Cameron Maybin (444) - they had Dukes at 234. - Dukes is better in short term/Maybin better in keeper/dynasty leagues of course

+1I'm not sure how I feel about the Lincecum pick either. And I think you reached too much for catcher and closer (Soto and Soria).
Everyone was taking their Ace in the second round so I kind of was forced on that one and same with the closers. All of sudden everyone was taking one so I grabbed one. I have been caught too many times in the past where I ignore the draft trend and do my thing and then end up screwed on a position. I don't mind howard. Do I do better taking Sizemore or Braun or Hamilton?
Everyone was taking their Ace in the second round so I kind of was forced on that one and same with the closers. All of sudden everyone was taking one so I grabbed one. I have been caught too many times in the past where I ignore the draft trend and do my thing and then end up screwed on a position. I don't mind howard. Do I do better taking Sizemore or Braun or Hamilton?
I'd go Sizemore and then Braun. I'd take Howard over Hamilton.
I'd go Sizemore, then Braun. If Cabrera were available, I'd take him over all of those. After Braun, I'd take Teixiera. Hamilton I'd take around the end of the first round. I'd pass on Howard entirely and probably not even take him top 16.Edit: Utley and Rollins belong in the mid to late first round as well.

ok here's my team, lot of upside I think, took a lot of risks with pitchers cuz I think they're really deep this year. 12 team 5x5 with 5 OF, 1 1b/3b, 1 2b/ss, UTIL, 9 Ps.3 Albert Pujols, StL22 Nick Markakis, Bal27 Matt Holliday, Oak46 Brian McCann, Atl51 Nate McLouth, Pit70 Corey Hart, Mil75 Derrek Lee, ChC94 Raul Ibanez, Phi99 Daisuke Matsuzaka, Bos118 Matt Cain, SF123 Alex Gordon, KC142 Ricky Nolasco, Fla147 Derek Lowe, Atl166 Josh Johnson, Fla171 Kelly Johnson, Atl190 Brett Myers, Phi195 Ryan Theriot, ChC214 Shin-Soo Choo, Cle219 Mike Gonzalez, Atl238 Orlando Hudson, LAD243 Chris Perez, StL262 Wandy Rodriguez, Hou267 Ubaldo Jimenez, Col286 Josh Fields, CWS291 Aaron Hill, Tor

ok here's my team, lot of upside I think, took a lot of risks with pitchers cuz I think they're really deep this year. 12 team 5x5 with 5 OF, 1 1b/3b, 1 2b/ss, UTIL, 9 Ps.3 Albert Pujols, StL22 Nick Markakis, Bal27 Matt Holliday, Oak46 Brian McCann, Atl51 Nate McLouth, Pit70 Corey Hart, Mil75 Derrek Lee, ChC94 Raul Ibanez, Phi99 Daisuke Matsuzaka, Bos118 Matt Cain, SF123 Alex Gordon, KC142 Ricky Nolasco, Fla147 Derek Lowe, Atl166 Josh Johnson, Fla171 Kelly Johnson, Atl190 Brett Myers, Phi195 Ryan Theriot, ChC214 Shin-Soo Choo, Cle219 Mike Gonzalez, Atl238 Orlando Hudson, LAD243 Chris Perez, StL262 Wandy Rodriguez, Hou267 Ubaldo Jimenez, Col286 Josh Fields, CWS291 Aaron Hill, Tor
Looks good. Choo has upside and is a good sleeper. Perez will be a good pick if he beats out Motte/Franklin for the closer role in St L. Wandy is another good sleeper. Nolasco and Johnson are underrated since they play on the Marlins.Derrek Lee due to his age and possible decline is about the only player that I would have passed on.

My team listed below, playing in TB17's 5 x 5 league, H2H. As with most fantasy baseball drafts I usually avoid starting pitchers until the latter rounds, instead focusing on hitting and closers. I also look to draft players with higher upside whcih usually means guys 27 years old and younger. Starting pitchers vary so much from year to year that you can usually find some decent waiver wire pickups throughout the season or trade excess closers/batters for them.C Victor Martinez, Cle C 1B Justin Morneau, Min 1B 2B Brian Roberts, Bal 2B 3B Evan Longoria, TB 3B SS Jimmy Rollins, Phi SS 2B/SS Stephen Drew, Ari SS 1B/3B Chris Davis, Tex 1B, 3B OF Curtis Granderson, Det OF OF Jay Bruce, Cin OF OF Chris Young, Ari OF OF Elijah Dukes, Was OF OF Chase Headley, SD OF UTIL Mike Jacobs, KC 1B Bench Billy Butler, KC 1B, DH Bench Daniel Murphy, NYM OF P Kerry Wood, Cle RP P Bobby Jenks, CWS RP P Chad Qualls, Ari RP P Heath Bell, SD RP P Matt Lindstrom, Fla RP DTD P Joey Devine, Oak RP DTD P Johnny Cueto, Cin SP P Armando Galarraga, Det SP P Mark Lowe, Sea RP Bench Manny Parra, Mil SP, RP

This is the same 12 team 5x5 with 5 OF, 1 1b/3b, 1 2b/ss, UTIL, 9 Ps league that a couple other people have posted teams from. I drafted with the intention of having a boom or bust team...and at first glance I'm sure some people aren't going to like it. This team is not complete however, and I'm sacrificing some early season equity with hopes of being very strong at the end, and win in the playoffs. I'm hoping a few people I took risks on will pay off, and then I can make trades to fill in some holes later, if necessary. It's going to look like I reached for a couple people, but where I got them is well below where their max potential is, in my opinion. One screw up though was Jorge Cantu at 72. That was a misclick. I was distracted and there were a couple other reasons why it happened, but it's not the worst misclick ever. He's still fairly young and I think he has the ability to beat his projections.I'm going to try to trade for a closer but if it doesn't happen right away it's no big deal, and hopefully I can pick another one up from the free agent pool at some point. Also I'll defend the Garciaparra pick right now. At this point its looking like he's going to play pretty much every day, and he's going to have eligibility at SS, 1B and 3B pretty soon, and right now he's healthy. A healthy Garciaparra playing every day is worth the 289th pick, imo. If he hits the DL or starts sitting a lot then he's quite expendable.1. Hanley Ramirez, SS Fla24. Manny Ramirez, OF LAD25. Cole Hamels, SP Phi 48. Felix Hernandez, SP Sea49. Josh Beckett, SP Bos72. Jorge Cantu, 3B/1B Fla73. Robinson Cano, 2B NYY96. Adam Dunn, OF Was97. Andre Ethier,OF LAD120. Pablo Sandoval, 1B SF121. Adam Wainwright, SP StL144. Mike Napoli, C LAA145. Mike Lowell, 3B Bos168. J.D. Drew, OF Bos169. Jack Cust, OF Oak192. Chien-Ming Wang, SP NYY193. Clayton Kershaw, SP LAD216. Chris Carpenter, SP StL217. Jed Lowrie, 3B/SS Bos240. Hank Blalock, 3B/1B Tex241. Jair Jurrjens, SP Atl264. Brad Penny, SP Bos265. Denard Span, OF Min - Has been Cut, picked up Paul Maholm, SP Pit288. Travis Snider, OF Tor289. Nomar Garciaparra, SS(3b/1B) Oak

My team listed below, playing in TB17's 5 x 5 league, H2H. As with most fantasy baseball drafts I usually avoid starting pitchers until the latter rounds, instead focusing on hitting and closers. I also look to draft players with higher upside whcih usually means guys 27 years old and younger. Starting pitchers vary so much from year to year that you can usually find some decent waiver wire pickups throughout the season or trade excess closers/batters for them.C Victor Martinez, Cle C 1B Justin Morneau, Min 1B 2B Brian Roberts, Bal 2B 3B Evan Longoria, TB 3B SS Jimmy Rollins, Phi SS 2B/SS Stephen Drew, Ari SS 1B/3B Chris Davis, Tex 1B, 3B OF Curtis Granderson, Det OF OF Jay Bruce, Cin OF OF Chris Young, Ari OF OF Elijah Dukes, Was OF OF Chase Headley, SD OF UTIL Mike Jacobs, KC 1B Bench Billy Butler, KC 1B, DH Bench Daniel Murphy, NYM OF P Kerry Wood, Cle RP P Bobby Jenks, CWS RP P Chad Qualls, Ari RP P Heath Bell, SD RP P Matt Lindstrom, Fla RP DTD P Joey Devine, Oak RP DTD P Johnny Cueto, Cin SP P Armando Galarraga, Det SP P Mark Lowe, Sea RP Bench Manny Parra, Mil SP, RP
I'm not sure I like your strategy of going after a ton of closers, since its such a volatile position...there aren't many closers who have their jobs locked down.
I'd go Sizemore, then Braun. If Cabrera were available, I'd take him over all of those. After Braun, I'd take Teixiera. Hamilton I'd take around the end of the first round. I'd pass on Howard entirely and probably not even take him top 16.Edit: Utley and Rollins belong in the mid to late first round as well.
this was the 1st round1. Hanley Ramírez uncle cracke...2. Albert Pujols The Phantoms3. José Reyes Miguelter Sk...4. David Wright Laundryroom ...5. Miguel Cabrera Marzipans6. Ryan Howard Fearsome Bea...7. Ryan Braun Oy my aching...8. Grady Sizemore Ornery Otters9. Jimmy Rollins Jason Smells10. Josh Hamilton Rounders on ...

haven't done a baseball fantasy league in quite a while but did one today at work. we only did 9 rounds (out of 25 (yikes)) so we have our work cut out for us next week. 14 teams.my picks: (1-3 in order, rest not sure but generally right). I picked 3rd and 26th then 8th and 21st then 13th and 16th. repeat.Jose Reyes ssJon Lester spCarlos Beltran ofChien-Ming Wang spJoe Mauer cChipper Jones 3bBrian Wilson rpJon Garland spJose Lopez 2bscoring by the week in Points which areScoring for Batting Categories 1B - Singles 1 point 2B - Doubles 2 points 3B - Triples 3 points BB - Walks (Batters) 1 point CS - Caught Stealing -1 point CYC - Hitting for the Cycle 5 points HP - Hit by Pitch 1 point HR - Home Runs 4 points KO - Strikeouts (Batter) -0.5 points R - Runs 1 point RBI - Runs Batted In 1 point SB - Stolen Bases 2 points Scoring for Pitching Categories BBI - Walks Issued (Pitchers) -0.5 points BS - Blown Saves -2 points CG - Complete Games 5 points ER - Earned Runs -1 point HA - Hits Allowed -0.5 points HB - Hit Batsmen -0.5 points INN - Innings 2.5 points K - Strikeouts (Pitcher) .5 points L - Losses -3 points NH - No-Hitters 5 points S - Saves 8 points SO - Shutouts 3 points W - Wins 10 points Rosters Lock on Mondays for the week. We can start 1 at each of the 8 positions plus a util. then 7 pitchers. 2 relief + 5 starters or 1 relief + 6 startersI guess it's all about getting double starts for your SP so I need to get more pitching but my position players are quite strong, I think. you tell me.

haven't done a baseball fantasy league in quite a while but did one today at work. we only did 9 rounds (out of 25 (yikes)) so we have our work cut out for us next week. 14 teams.my picks: (1-3 in order, rest not sure but generally right). I picked 3rd and 26th then 8th and 21st then 13th and 16th. repeat.Jose Reyes ssJon Lester spCarlos Beltran ofChien-Ming Wang spJoe Mauer cChipper Jones 3bBrian Wilson rpJon Garland spJose Lopez 2bRosters Lock on Mondays for the week. We can start 1 at each of the 8 positions plus a util. then 7 pitchers. 2 relief + 5 starters or 1 relief + 6 startersI guess it's all about getting double starts for your SP so I need to get more pitching but my position players are quite strong, I think. you tell me.
I honestly dont get the bolded. And why on earth would you draft Mauer? Hes injured for like 2 months.

I havent done any real analysis on your leagues scoring, but I cant imagine taking Wang or Garland in the top 100 or so of any draft.Same goes with Wilson or Lopez. Lopez has to be one of the most overrated fantasy players out there. Kelly Johnson is pretty much superior in every way imo and will go probably 5 rounds later.Im not sure about your actual order outside of Reyes at 3 so I cant comment on the others.

I thought it was only a few weeks but I guess my info was old. oopsie. but I can still pick up a crappy catcher in a late round and be on par with 50% of the league in that position until he comes back and then I'll be tops in that spot)as to the bolded,1st +2nd round: 3rd and 26th 3rd + 4th round:8th and 21st 5th + 6th round: 13th and 16threpeatI haven't followed baseball closely in a while so I was following projections by league scoring but in general for fantasy it's not always about getting the best players but making sure you don't get the worst players at a position. this is why good SS, 3B, 2B and C are way more vaulable than 1B and OF (yes. very obvious). this was my strategy / reasoning. maybe I took it too far but hard to say since I'm not as familiar with the players as I am in hockey or football.

It's like a regular snake draft but there's different snake orders after two roundsIn a 10 team league, if you pick 1st and 20th in rounds 1 and 2, you will NOT pick 21st and 40th. The rounds 3 and 4 are randomly assigned snaked again. You might pick 8th and 13th (28th and 33rd overall). New snake order happens in rounds 5 and 6.7th and 8th rounds go back to the round 1 and 2 order

that sounds ridiculous.but yea, your teams kinda weak so far. Even for a 14 teamer you should have better pitchers. And you only have one OF too.

Standard 5x5 Mixed Dynasty League with 8 teams - live auction draft. C Jorge PosadaC Mike Napoli1B Joey Votto2B Ian KinslerSS Troy Tulowitzki3B David WrightMI Derek JeterCI Chipper JonesOF Ryan BraunOF Jay BruceOF Vladmir GuerreroOF Shane VictorinoOF Jacob EllsburyU Nelson CruzSP Jake PeavySP Francisco LirianoSP Cole HamelsSP Rich HardenRP Brian FuentesRP Matt CappsRP Frank FranciscoSP/RP Matt LindstromSP/RP Erik BedardBench Garret AtkinsBench Chris Young (OF)Bench Kevin GreggBench Rickie WeeksBench Chris CarpenterBench David PriceBench Steve Strasburg

haven't done a baseball fantasy league in quite a while but did one today at work. we only did 9 rounds (out of 25 (yikes)) so we have our work cut out for us next week. 14 teams.my picks: (1-3 in order, rest not sure but generally right). I picked 3rd and 26th then 8th and 21st then 13th and 16th. repeat.Jose Reyes ssJon Lester spCarlos Beltran ofChien-Ming Wang spJoe Mauer cChipper Jones 3bBrian Wilson rpJon Garland spJose Lopez 2b
Frankly, this team is awful so far. Reyes was an okay pick at 3 depending on who went one and two and Beltran is a decent pick, but the rest of these seem pretty terrible for the most part. The thing that stands out the most for me is that you reached for mediocre SPs way too early. Lester and Wang had no business being drafted where you picked them, same with Garland really same with Brian Wilson. Also, you and your friends are wayyyy over complicating fantasy baseball. Your draft set up is frankly insane. Outside of like round one or two, it really doesn't matter where you drafting. Just set up a standard snake draft and be done with it. I've drafted good teams from virtually every position in a draft. I didn't really look at your categories in depth, but I'm sure you've got too many.
Post auction values for your players and what are you dynasty rules?
Every year that you keep a player will add $5 more to his salary in the following year. So if I kept Posada for next year, he'd cost me $11. $300 salary cap total per year (fixed).C Jorge Posada $6C Mike Napoli $31B Joey Votto $112B Ian Kinsler $19SS Troy Tulowitzki $113B David Wright $26MI Derek Jeter $6CI Chipper Jones $4OF Ryan Braun $11OF Jay Bruce $16OF Vladmir Guerrero $16OF Shane Victorino $10OF Jacob Ellsbury $9U Nelson Cruz $8SP Jake Peavy $19SP Francisco Liriano $17SP Cole Hamels $16SP Rich Harden $8RP Brian Fuentes $6RP Matt Capps $11RP Frank Francisco $6SP/RP Matt Lindstrom $6SP/RP Erik Bedard $5Bench Garret Atkins $10Bench Chris Young (OF) $5Bench Kevin Gregg $3Bench Rickie Weeks $1Bench Chris Carpenter $6Bench David Price $6Bench Steve Strasburg $7