Premiership Fantasy Draft - Picks Only

Round 7, Pick 6 - Pick #48 OVERALLTime to add a bit of steel to my midfield..."He is a great player. He can play every position in midfield. Where he is perfect in choices. In football, the most difficult thing is to choose well, and in every situation he chooses well. He presses, stays in position, passes long, passes short, first touch, two touches. He controls the pace of the game, fast or slow. He is midfield multifunctional, he is dynamic and strong. The boy has incredible physical power, he is super resistant with great speed and unending tactical abilities." - José MourinhoWho is José talking about? Michael EssienessienMS_468x524.jpg Essien will be my midfield general. He will do the donkey work so guys like Henry, Sheringham and Scholes will be free to express themselves. Essien will sit just in front of the back-four and snuff out any attacks before the even get started. He will provide the power and grit needed to make any team great. He is an indispensable player. He is the first player I have seen that could come close to providing what Roy Keane provided for Man Utd. Nobody is in Keane's league, but I honestly feel that Essien is giving a fair shot at the Keano impersonation! He will run all day, make every tackle, provide accurate passes and lift the players around him. He is Michael Essien,Appearances: 95Goals: 11Honours:

• Premier League: 2006 (Runner-Up): 2007, 2008
  • FA Cup: 2007
  • Carling Cup: 2007 (Runner-Up): 2008
  • UEFA Champions League: (Runner-Up): 2008

Team so far:------Henry------Sheringham-----------Scholes----------X-------------------------------X------------Essien----------X---Ferdinand---Pallister---X------------Given--------------

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will end Round 7 with a pick that is special for me, considering my mum was born in Scotland. Bolstering my midfield in a central role, Gary McAllister, MBEmcallister.jpgLargely viewed as a cool-headed, creative player, this versatile midfielder (capable of playing a central or winger role) spent significant streches of time with several BPL teams, most notably with Leeds United. Capped 57 times for Scotland, his ability to play both sides of the ball helped bail his teams out of difficult defensive spots and was able to quickly turn the flow to the offense with some sparkling passing and superb field vision. His leadership abilities make him a potential Captain for my squad.HonoursClub honoursMotherwell 1984–85 — Scottish Division One Leeds United 1991–92 — League Championship 1993 — Charity Shield 1996 — League Cup (Runner Up) Liverpool 2001 — League Cup 2001 — FA Cup 2001 — UEFA Cup 2001 — Charity Shield 2001 — UEFA Super Cup Personal honoursScotland Football Hall of Fame — 57 Caps MBE – Services to football.

Round 8:Locking down the defense in a central roleGareth Southgate0,,1~3390620,00.jpgAlthough his career began at central-midfield, Southgate's switch to centre-back help Aston Villa's defence anchor a squad that lifted the League Cup and qualify for the UEFA Cup in his first season there and was later named Captain. Southgate's solid play and leadership also propelled Middlesborough to the Carling Cup after assuming the captaincy after Paul Ince's departure.Southgate has been capped 57 times for EnglandHonoursDivision 1 (II): 1994 Football League Cup: 1996, 2004 FA Cup: Runner-up 2000 UEFA Cup: Runner-up 2006

Round 8, Pick 2 - Pick #51 OVERALLHmmm...okay, let's pick a two time Premiership winnerFreddie Ljungbergljungberg.jpgA genius on the ball, one of my favourite players. Part of the Arsenal invincibles side. Freddie Ljungberg is a momentum player. He relishes the big games and saves his best for when his team needs him most. He definitely works better alongside good players. Some players prefer to be the the sole superstar of the team, Ljungberg is not like this. Due to the fact that I am drafting him in an all-time Premiership XI, I feel this works to my advantage. Ljungberg will be in a team full of other great players, and I expect my team to help produce the best out of Ljungberg. In my team, Ljungberg will more than likely operate on his favoured right wing. Depending on my last three picks, Ljungberg can also be played on the left or even in the free role in the center. He is an expert at passing the ball and will inject pace into my side. I expect Ljungerg, Henry and Sheringham to work tremendously together.FreddieGETTY_468x682.jpgStats:Apps for Arsenal: 216Goals for Arsenal: 46Apps for West Ham: 25Goals for West Ham: 2TOTAL: APPEARANCES: 252 , GOALS: 48Honours:

Team so far:--------Henry----Sheringham----------------Scholes-------------X-----------------------Ljungberg-------------Essien-------------X----Ferdinand----Pallister----X--------------Given------------

For my next pick I've decided to pick my left back. Its a controversial choice but i've decided to go for Ashley Cole.ashley-cole.jpgThere is a lot I could write about Ashley Cole that has nothing to do with football but I will just stick to the facts. Which is that he is one of the top Left Backs to have played football in England. He started his career at Arsenal. His big break came when Brazillian international Sylvinho was injured, Cole took over and never looked back. He won the Premiership twice whilst as the Gooners including the unbeaten league season of 2003-04. He was transferred to Chelsea in 2005 in what can only be described as acrimonious circumstances. The honours have continuted to come with an FA and League Cup already won at Chelsea. He is also established as Englands no1 left back. Key HonoursPremier League Winner - 2001-02, 2003-04FA Cup 2001, 2007Cole Terry ------- NevilleRonaldo Fàbregas Makélélé ---------<<<<<<Bergkamp>>>>>><<<<<<Van Nistelrooy>>>

Round 8- Arjen RobbenArjen_Robben_7.jpgarjen%20robben_01.jpgHe will provide even more of an attacking slant to my side. Fast paced and two footed, he'll play the wing and also interchange with Rooney and go towards goal a lot. While he was injured a bit in his last year at chelsea, he was always a threat on the pitch when healthy. Honors: Premier League: 05, 06 League Cup: 05, 07 FA Cup: 07 ----------------- -------- Keown PearceKanchelskis Keane Le Tissier Robben Wright Rooney

Xabi Alonsoalonso1.jpgOne of the best Central Midfielders currently playing in Europe, Alonso will take the position of Central Midfield playmaker in my team... I think the partnership with the more defensive Hamann in midfield, will make for a dynamic strength/creative pairing.I'm very happy to have my second of the current Spanish crop of superb players in my team also (another Euro 2008 winner).Alonso moved to Liverpool in 2004 for £10.5 million. He won the UEFA Champions League in his first season at the club. His main strength is really his range of passing, but he also has a fantastic strike (often from very long range - scoring a 70 yard outrageous goal against Newcastle in 2006) on him and is a set-piece master. This season, he also scored the only goal in a 1-0 victory at Stamford Bridge which ended Chelsea's 4 year home unbeaten record.alonso2.jpgHe's a very strong player, confident and always gives 110%If it's stats you want (mercury? :club: ), checking Opta's figures on Alonso shows how good he really is. He's the first player to complete 1000 successful passes this season, for example. In his position, I'm confident in saying he's in the top 5 to have ever played in the Premiership - the other 4 have gone... he's often underrated slightly, but he will fit right in at Real Jamborino.

My 8th round pick is one of the most electrifying and, of course, best looking men ever to play in the Premiership, left winger DAVID GINOLA.Ginola made his bread for 7 years in the Premiership, most notably with Newcastle and Tottenham but also with Villa and Everton. In total he made 137 Premiership appearances, scoring 22 goals and supplying countless more. Renowned for his silkly skills, fantastic pace and balance and spectucular goals Ginola was a cult hero for the teams he played for and was described by Johan Cruyff as the 'best player in the world' in 1999.Whilst he never managed to win a Premier League title or a bevy of other domestic titles, Ginola did guide Spurs to a League Cup in 1999. He also managed to win the PFA Players' Player of the year and the Football Writers Player of the year in 1999, which was one of the greatest seasons ever seen by an individual player in the Prem. In selecting Ginola, Pires will be shifted over to the right wing - a position he has played numerous times for Arsenal, France and Villareal, proving that his versality is key to AFC Rinswun._44641208_ginola_getty.jpgginola.jpgDavid Ginola - el magnificoDavid Ginola - wikipedia

My round 8 pick is Steve McManaman.mcmanaman1.jpgA very pacy winger who will compliment my team nicely doing the same job as Overmars down the left. He could cause problems for any defence in his prime.10 years with Liverpool were ended when Macca was bought by the (then) all conquering Real Madrid and would become the most decorated Englishman to ever play overseas.

Round 9, pick 1:It's time to get a foreign player on my squad...The search for a quality defensive midfielder is getting more and more difficult, but I think I've found my solution in:Gilberto Silvap1_031707_soccer_getty.jpgOne of the top defensive midfielders playing today, he may have passed his prime (largeley due to a back fracture and the ensuing discomfort), but he was in top form when he played 170 matches with Arsenal, helping them to a Premiership title, two FA Cups and two Community Shield titles.Silva helps anchor an offense happy midfield and creates a solid connection between the central roles and my defensive stalwarts.With Arsenal:FA Community Shield: 2002, 2004FA Cup: 2003, 2005FA Premier League: 2004------------------------Mercury Rangers (current squad selection)---------------Seaman-----------------Campbell-----Southgate--------IrwinBecks---MacAllister---Silva------------Shearer-------Owen----------

I pick....Dan Petrescu300px-Danpetrescu.jpgThis guy played 215 EPL games, 151 of which were for Chelsea. He also had a reasonable scoring record for a defender, 24 goals in 215 games - a goal every 8.95 games, which is over 4 goals a season. Petrescu was a great full-back, a master at both attacking and defending. Ljungberg is a player who likes to drift infield, should this happen, Petrescu is an expert at overlapping on the right wing and can fill in as a right-midfielder. I am happy to have Ljungberg and Petrescu operating down my right wing.My Team so far:------Henry----Sheringham-------------------Scholes------------------X--------------------------Ljungberg-----------Essien------------------X---Pallister---Ferdinand---Petrescu-------------Given---------------

Round 9- Lucas RadebeLucas_Radebe_-_Large.jpgLRadebe5.jpgMy pick is Lucas Radebe. I want another strong defender at the center and Radebe easily fits that category and will form a good spine with Keown. ------------- Radebe Keown PsychoKanchelskis Keane Le Tissier Robben Wright Rooney

For my next pick i've got a player to round off my Midfield, the Wizard of Oz himself, Harry Kewell._41219206_41216992_kewell416.jpgHe is the 1st player in my team not to have won the Premiership but I feel I have got a quality pick in this round. He started his Premiership career at Leeds and was a key player in the team that made the Uefa Cup and Champions league semi finals in successive seasons at the turn of the century. After Leeds relegation in 2003 he was snapped up by Liverpool and his impressive form continued. He was a member of the Champions League winning side of 2005. For a winger he also has an impressive goal scoring rate scoring 57 goals in only 274 Premiership games. Key StatsChampions League Winner - 2005PFA Young Player of the Year - 2000Cole Terry ------- NevilleRonaldo Fàbregas Makélélé Kewell<<<<<<Bergkamp>>>>>><<<<<<Van Nistelrooy>>>

An Arsenal legend for my next pick, part of probably the most recognized back defensive line in Premiership history alongside Seaman, Adams, Keown and 'one other who has not been picked yet'... the board have assured me that Real Jamborino has the funds available to sign Mr. Lee Dixon, at right back.dixon.jpgAn ever present in the Arsenal team for 14 years, he made the right back position his own, and won 4 League titles, 3 FA Cups, a European Cup Winners Cup and a League Cup. He was a key part of the 'Double' winning side of 1998 too.A very solid defender, he also became very well known during his career for his attacking skills too... and also became the Arsenal's penalty taker for a few years.The right back slot at my club is in very safe hands and I think Dixon gives my team additional attacking options down the right flank, so I am happy with this selection.

My 9th round selection is another Frenchman, world cup winning centre back and Chelsea folk hero FRANK LEBOEUF.Leboeuf, an easily recognizeable figure due to his shining bald pate, made West London his home for 5 years from 1996-2001 - making 144 Premiership appearances amongst more than 200 he made overall for Chelsea. A strong, tall centre back who was very comfortable with the ball at his feet and very dangerous in the air - leading to 17 premiership goals, Leboeuf won 2 FA Cups, a League Cup and a Cup Winners Cup during his time with the Blues - a time before the money which has turned them into the force they are now.Along with the domestic honours, Leboeuf also played in a world cup final alongside fellow AFC Rinswun player Patrick Vieria and helped keep a clean sheet as Brazil were beaten 3-0. He also picked up a European Championship medal and finished with an international haul of 50 caps and 5 goals.Originally, i had expected Adams and Carragher to form my centre back partnership but with the dearth of true quality right backs available after Dixon's selection i will be moving Carragher across to right back - a position he has played numerous times in his career - and moving Leboeuf alongside Adams._1132644_leboeuf300.jpg1603b.jpgFrank Leboeuf - wikipedia

Rounding out round 9 and completing my all-French centre-half pairing, William Gallas.Having played for Chelsea and Arsenal Gallas has played in the Premiership with the very best and won the Premiership twice with Chelsea. A pacy, fiesty defender with a lot of class he will make it difficult for the opposition to get near Cech's goal and alongside Desailly I think I've got myself a cheeky steal this late in the draft. Bill Gallas - wikigallas1.jpg

Kicking off the penultimate round will be another Frenchman for my back 4. The marauding Patrice Evra.Evra.jpgTaking the Premiership by storm and winning it in his second season Evra instantly won over Old Trafford fans and cemented himself as France's number 1 left-back in 2006Providing perfect support down the left wing, and a solid defender to boot Evra is another great addition to my team. Another 2-time winner of the Premiership and a key element to Man Utd's all-conquering side from last season. Only one more position to fill and if you haven't got a left-back I think I've got the best around. :club:

Making it two successive left backs in a row, AFC Rinswun round out their back four with one of the most underrated players in premiership history - Arsenal legend NIGEL WINTERBURN.Winterburn made 352 premier league appearances from 1992-2003, most notably as a member of the legendary Arsenal back 4 of the early 90's along with AFC Rinswun captain Tony Adams, and laterly with West Ham where he eventually retired. Despite being quick, tenacious, aggressive and having a superb understanding of the positioning elements of the left back role Winterburn was largely overlooked for national team earning just 2 caps, finding himself stuck behind Stuart Pearce for the majority of his career. This didnt stop him from racking up the club honours however as Winterburn won 2 league titles, 2 FA Cups, a League Cup and a Cup Winners Cup.winterbn.jpgarticle-0-002245CA00000258-825_306x423.jpg

Nigel Winterburn - wikipedia

This is a huge steal this late in the draw. Early on, I was willing to sacrifice a goalkeeper for some great attacking players/central defenders who I really wanted... however, it seems I didn't have to worry because my second choice is still available. The fans here at Real Jamborino are shocked, the board are shocked, in fact you're all shocked... we've just signed EDWIN VAN DER SAR!!vandersar_narrowweb__300x3990.jpgThis 6ft 6 Dutchman has become key to Manchester United's success over the last 3-4 seasons. I have no idea why we (or any other big club for that matter) didn't sign him when he came to England (Fulham) from Juventus in 2001 for £7.1m. He has solved the goalkeeper problem we've had ever since Schmeichel left, instantly.He is a double Champions League winner (once with Ajax in 1995) and double Premier League winner (soon to be three, of course).If I had to name his single greatest moment, I'd have to go with the final penalty save of the 2008 Champions League Final shoot-out from Nicolas Anelka.van_der_sar_682x400_492036a.jpgOn 18 February 2009, Van der Sar broke José María Buljubasich's single-season world record of 1,289 minutes without conceding a goal (he'd already beaten the club and League clean sheets record a couple of games before this).I am extremely happy to have Edwin between the sticks.

I've decided on my Goalie for my next pick. He was always one of my top three and I'm glad to pick the very Excellent Brad Friedel as my keeper. article-0-0297F16C000004B0-110_468x332.jpg_38535121_friedel300.jpgInitially signed for Liverpool in 1997 he could never quite establish himself in the 1st team. This is probably in part due to the work permit issues. He was then signed by Blackburn in 2000 where he really came into his own. He has been a model of consistency since, even scoring a goal against Charlton a few years later. Now at Aston Villa he is currently the holder of the most consecutive appearances (182 as of today 10/04/09).Key StatsLeague Cup - 2002PFA Team of the Year - 2002-03 Barclays Merit Award 2008-09 (Most consecutive Premier League appearances)<<<<<<Friedel>>>>>>>>Cole Terry ------- NevilleRonaldo Fàbregas Makélélé Kewell<<<<<<Bergkamp>>>>>><<<<<<Van Nistelrooy>>>

Round 10, Pick 6 - Pick #69 OVERALLBefore I mention this guys name, I'm gona give you some credentials of his, just so your reminded of how good he really was...Alessandro Nesta, Roberto Carlos, Clarence Seedorf, Zinedine Zidane, my player was named alongside these superstars in the 2002 UEFA Team of the Year.At the 2002 World Cup, he played every game, scored a goal, and was voted his country's player of the tournament.He won the League Cup twice, with two seperate clubs.He is a 2-time Premiership winner, winning the league back-to-back in 2004-05 and 2005-06.Ladies and Gents, I give you...Damien Duffdamien%20duff.jpgDamien Duff now plays for Newcastle, and you would be forgiven for being slightly shocked that he was picked in this draft. His decline at Newcastle has been as a result of injury, poor management, poor team mates and poor tactics. Yes it's true, Duff's career has gone slightly downhill the last 2-3 seasons, but please do not let his form for the last two seasons (tbh, I think he has actually been quite good THIS season) cloud your judgement of the overall player and the contribution he has made to the Premiership.Duff was clearly the best of player of an outstanding Blackburn side. After Duff left the club, Blackburn fell from 6th place in the Premiership with Duff, to 15th place in the Premiership without Duff. Blackburn have yet to rediscover the form they had while Duff was part of their team. During his time at Blackburn, Duff won the 2002 League Cup, was named in the 2002 UEFA Team of the Year and was a star at the 2002 FIFA World Cup while playing for the Rep. of Ireland. He played 112 Premiership games for Blackburn Rovers and scored 21 goals.312F2CFC-C35D-030E-49CB7462E9DF9E5C.jpgNext, Duff moved to Chelsea for a then record £17 million. During the first season of the "Abramovich era", Duff helped Chelsea to a second place finish in the Premiership, their highest finish in almost fifty years. The close season saw the sacking of Ranieri and the hiring of the Special One. Mourinho helped bring the best out of Duff. Under Mourinho, Duff became one of the hardest working wingers in the world, his tracking back was exemplary. He also showed his versatility as Mourinho often deployed him on the right with great success. In the next two seasons, Duff would win two league titles, as well as the League Cup. He played 81 league games for Chelsea and scored 14 goals._39531351_duff_ap.jpg010209.jpgDuff moved to Newcastle United in 2006 and has since played 62 EPL games and scored 4 goals.Duff will play as a left winger in my team. Much of his Chelsea career and international career has been spent as a right winger or operating in the free role. Although I feel Duff is a really strong player in these positions, I honestly believe that he was at one time, the best left-winger on the planet. He runs at players, beats players, passes well, crosses accurately and tracks back and helps out his defence. It is Duff's defensive qualities and hard work that seperates him from the others. Actually, that's not true. It is Duff's flair and attacking skill that makes him stand out, the hard work and tracking back is merely a huge bonus. Duff was a great attacker at Blackburn. At Chelsea, he learned to track back and help his full back. IMO, these skills are what makes Damien Duff one of the best wingers ever to play in the Premiership. Only one place left in my team...----Henry-----Sheringham------Duff---Scholes---Essien---LjunbergXXX--Ferdinand--Pallister--Petrescu------------Given-----------

Although I had someone else in mind, a little research and an adherence to team philosophy leads me to pick the youngest player to reach 300 Premiership matches...A former teammate of Gareth Southgate and one of the longest serving Aston Villa players of all-time:Gareth Barrygareth_barry.jpgEqually adept at midfield and defense, Barry will solidify the central midfield position with Silva. Composure and flexibility are his trademark and his defensive acumen will support an already fearsome backfield. While not as decorated as some, it is players of Barry's calibre that can carry a team and lead it in a positive direction. Did I mention he was Player of the Year in 2006-07?Aston Villa FA CupRunners-up: 1999–2000 Intertoto CupWinners: 2001 Player of the SeasonWinner: 2006–07Mercury Rangers (current squad selection)---------------Seaman-----------------Campbell-----Southgate--------IrwinBecks-----Barry-----Silva-----McAllister-------Shearer-------Owen----------

And into the final round we go! (For the first 11)I must confess I was really stuck here. I need a RB but all the big names have gone. I could move Gallas out there pick up a centre half. But then I remembered Markus Babbel! Oh, for 1 season he was the toast of Liverpool. But you might remember that season as their famous treble winning season of 2001.A gifted RB who was well-known for getting down his wing and lending support to the attack Babbel wasn't shy about doing the dirty defensive duties either. Babbel was farmed out on loan to Blackburn after recovering from Guillain-Barre syndrome which tragically robbed the man, and football of his best years. Now a manager at the highest level with VfB Stuttgart. Gentlemen of FCP. The final player in Your Mum's Athletic starting line-up. Markus Babbel.babbel%20(2).jpg

Rounding out my starting 11 is a player who was hated by the British public until he tore up the league for a couple of seasons, and was so good he had a dive named after him, Tottenham's JURGEN KLINSMANN.Klinsmann wasnt in the Premiership for an extended period but he made quite an impact, knocking in 30 goals in just 56 games during 2 spells with Spurs in 1994-5 and 1997-8. World renowned as a typical German goal-poacher before his move to North London, Klinsmann showed he was much more displaying pace, power, heading ability and a sense of humour previously unrecognized when he launched a celebration that was to be copied in playgrounds and sunday league cups finals around the UK and Ireland.Though he only played one full season in the Premiership, his performances were enough to see him crowned Football Writers Player of the Year and his goal ratio is right up there with the best for players who have played over 50 games in the league.jurgen_klinsmann.jpgjurgen-klinsmann_1112047c.jpg

Jurgen Klinsmann - wikipedia