Premiership Fantasy Draft - Picks Only

Round 4, Pick 2 - Pick #23 OVERALLProbably the best centre-half to play football in the EPL. He has pace, strength, positioning, good passing and a great football brain - everything you want from a centre-back. I give you... Rio_Ferdinand_469821a.jpg ...Mr. Rio Ferdinand! Rio started his career at West Ham where he was one of the finest assets produced by one of the finest youth academies in the country. He made his debut for West Ham in 1996 and went on to make 127 appearances for the club, picking up the 'Hammer of the year' award at age 19 - a remarkable feat for someone so young. _38146081_ferdinand150.jpg In 2000, Leeds United secured the services of the talented young centre-back. It was at Leeds where Ferdinand really proved himself as a top class defender. He was made club captain at the start of the 2001-2002 season, and went to be named in the PFA team of the year. The 2002 World Cup was where Rio announced himself on the world stage and lived up to all the potenital surrounding him. This good Premiership defender now became a feared world-class centre-back. Rio was now one of the highest rated young players in world football. _1261111_rio_ferdinand.jpg On the 22 July 2002, Sir Alex Ferguson splashed out almost £30million to bring this 23 year old to Old Trafford. With this move, Rio became the most expensive defender and the most expensive Brit of all time. Ferdinand has made 204 appearances for Manchester United and is still going strong. He helped lead United to 3 league titles, in 2002-03, 2006-07, 2007-08. He has easily been one of the key players behind United success in England and Europe over the past 7 years. Evertons150907AP_468x368.jpg For me, Rio is great because he has done the business at three different clubs, each time surpassing his perfomances at the previous club. Alot of players have 4 or 5 great years in the Premiership but Rio has done well for over 13 seasons. One of the best judges of a player is how he is rated by his fellow players, and Ferdinand has been named in the PFA team of the year 4 times. He has anything you could ever want in a centre-back, speed, strength, passing, vision, positioning, composure, passion etc. He is also a great leader, and depending on my later picks, Rio could well end up being my captain. I am delighted to have Rio in my time and I am sure he will lead a great defence. The important to remember picking centre-backs is that they work in partners. Some centre-halves just won't work well together, but I know whoever I choose to partner Rio Ferdinand in central defence, he will compliment them well and make them raise their game so they can be a good enough player to compliment him. Honours:

Stats: England - 72 caps (3 goals) West Ham - 127 apps (2 goals) Leeds Utd. - 52 apps (2 goals) Man. Utd. - 203 apps (6 goals) TOTAL - 394 apps (10 goals) He is excellent, and I am thrilled to have him in my team. Team so far: --Henry------x--- x----Scholes----x---x x---Ferdinand---x---x -----------Given-------

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round 4 pick 24- Wayne Rooneywayne%20rooney.jpgWayne-Rooney.jpgWhile he hasn't scored as much as people expected him to since he had that cracking debut goal, instead he has turned into a ferocious striker, passer, and all around box to box player. He will play slightly behind Wright and with him, Wright, and Le Tiss leading the attack it should be utter hell for a lot of teams to deal with as there will be good interchanging between him and Le Tissstats: Everton 67(15) ManU 148(62) England 48(19)Honors: Premier League: 07, 08 League Cup: 06, 09 Champions League: 08 Fifa Club Cup: 08 --------- ----- --------- ----------- Keane Le Tiss -------- Wright Rooney

This is getting tricky. There is a few attacking players I really wanted but its time to add some defensive steel. For this role I have picked Mr. Chelsea and the current England Captain, John Terry.article-0-0269A063000005DC-494_306x423.jpgThough probably not quite as accomplished on the ball as Rio Ferdinand, there is no better defender in the Premier League than John Terry. A leader of men he seems to will Chelsea to victory when others would give up. He was part of the Premier record breaking defensive performance of Chelsea in 2004-05 when they conceded the fewest goals in EPL history and also had the most clean sheets. He also has an eye for goal with a total of 17 Premiership goals to his name. Key StatsPremier League Winner 2004-05, 2005-06PFA Player of the Year 2004-05

The board over here at Jamborino are calling for some defensive stability... I agree, so what better time to call in the best centre back to have ever played in the Premiership. I give you:Jaap Stamjaap_stam.jpgA truly imposing 6ft 3 figure at the centre of my defence, as a Manchester United fan I couldn't believe it when we sold him (Ferguson has admitted since that this was a mistake). Our defence had never looked so solid, a true rock, so reliable it was incredible. He was with us for 3 seasons only, but guess what... in that time, we won 3 Premier Leagues, 1 Champions League and an FA Cup. He was also twice voted best defender in the 1999 and 2000 UEFA Champions League.1207897.jpgHe will be my Vice-Captain (to Cantona), and will rule the rest of my defence with an iron fist. I can be assured of composure and an organized defence with Jaap in there.

AFC Rinswun continue to build a strong spine with their 4th round pick, picking a legendary centre back and fearless leader - ex-Arsenal and England captain TONY ADAMS.'Mr Arsenal' was a no-nonsense defender, who combined outstanding positioning and anticipation with bravery and speed to lead Arsenal to 2 Premier League titles, 3 FA Cups, a league cup, a UEFA cup and a Cup Winners Cup. Adam's also holds the honour of being the only man to captain his team to a title in 3 different decades.Not afraid to put his body and head on the line, Adams is worshiped at Arsenal where he made a total of 668 appearances including 255 in the Premiership - scoring 12 goals. He was also a stalwart for England making 66 appearances with 5 goals to his credit.Adam's faced adversity at various points of his career as he spent 2 months in prison following a drunk-driving car crash, and revealed himself to be an alcoholic but fought to change his lifestyle to prolong his career and raise aware to those others who battled addiction. This kind of battling character tippified Adams as footballer and will add greatly to the determination of my squad.tony-adams.jpg_39529905_adams203x270.jpg

Tony Adams - wikipedia

Although he only played in England for 3 years he made a mighty impact. Gentlemen, tearing up the left (or right) wing I present; Marc Overmars.Signed from Ajax for around £5m back in 1997 Overmars played for Arsenal for 3 years before leaving them for Barcelona and a tidy profit of £20m.Overmars scored 25 goals and won the Premier League and FA cup double in 1998.With his pace on the wing supplying cross for my strikers I think Overmars is a great addition to my team. And, he could score a fair few himself.Marc Overmars in 501 Arsenal goalsarticle-1043779-002D6F8800000258-173_468x697.jpg

Let's contnue the run on defenders and send those who think a strong offense is going to win this runnung for the hills in a panic. There really aren't very many tried and true names left that are superstar defenders, but I believe I have found one in...Sol Campbellsol-campbell.jpgSubject of some controversy and recently the alleged target of racist chanting, there is no overlooking the quality that this world class defender has brought to the pitch for over 15 years. Capable of playing any defensive position, Campbell anchored the Spurs' defense for 9 years before moving over to the Gunners. A League Cup with the Spurs was just the beginning. Campbell's solid play helped Arsenal to 2 Premiership titles, 2 FA Cup titles, as well a couple of second place finishes in the Premiership and a runner-up spot in the UEFA Champions League.A perennial selection for England's international squads, going as far back as a U21 selection, Campbell's biggest moment in the sun could have been a goal against Argentina that ended up being waved off due to Alan Shearer's illegal elbow on the Argentinian goalkeeper. Perhaps, this time around, Shearer will keep his elbows to himself.HonoursTottenhamLeague Cup: 1999 ArsenalWinnerFA Premier League: 2002, 2004 FA Cup: 2002, 2005 FA Community Shield: 2002, 2004 Runner-upUEFA Champions League: 2006 FA Premier League: 2003, 2005 PortsmouthFA Cup: 2008 Barclays Asia Trophy: 2007 Runner-upFA Community Shield: 2008 IndividualFIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2002 UEFA European Championship All-Star Squad: 2004 PFA Team of the Year: 1998-99, 2002-03, 2003-04The Mercury Rangers:G: SeamanD: Irwin, Campbell,M: Beckham,F: Shearer,

Round 5, Pick 2 - Pick #30 OVERALLTEDDY SHERINGHAMteddycheer.jpgTeddy Sheringham was one of the best centre-forwards in the Premier League. Best remembered for his time at Spurs and Man. Utd, he also had spells with Portsmouth, West Ham and Notts Forest. In all, he scored 252 goals in 682 EPL games. In the early Premiership days he was a Tottenham Hotspur player. He played 166 games for Spurs from 1992-1997 and scored 76 goals. He re-joined Spurs in 2001 and scored another 22 goals in 70 games. In between his spellls at Spurs he played for Manchester United. Sheringham was part of the 1999 Treble-winning side (he did score one goal of semi-importance during that campaign -

). He went on from here to win the Premier League in 2000 and 2001. He will be the perfect strike partner for Thierry Henry. Henry works best with an intelligent centre-forward beside him. That's exactly what Teddy is. Great at finding holes in defences and punishing them. I am thrilled to have Sheringham and Henry as my strike force.Honours:
  • Premier League: 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-2001
  • FA Cup: 1999
  • UEFA Champions League: 1998-99
  • Intercontinental Cup: 1999

Still haven't decided on a team name, but this is it so far:--Henry-----Sheringhamx-----x----Scholes--xx---Ferdinand---x---x-------Given------

Round 5- Martin Keownmartin_keown_2702_76406a.jpgKEOWN_Martin_19950910_SF_R.jpgWell, since there seems to be a run on Defenders, I need to make sure to get myself one of the few class defenders left. Uncomprimising and solid as a rock in the back, him and Adams formed a spine for aresenal that was legendary in the 90s and continued up to 2004Honors: Premiership: 98, 02, 04 FA Cup: 98, 02, 03 43 England Caps --------------- Keown --------- ---------------- Keane Le Tissier --------- Wright Rooney

I can't believe this player has dropped all the way to the 5th round. There are other positions I have a need for but I'm going take one of the best players left. He is the one, the only Cesc Fàbregas.fabregas30_468x674.jpgTo many he is Arsenal's midfield. His play making skills make him one of the most important players for Club and Country. In one of many early highs he scored against Blackburn Rovers in 2004 to make him he youngest goal scorer in a legaue game in Arsenals history. Perhaps his most influential performance to date was when Arsenal went to Milan last season and won 2-0 where he was praised as the instrumental figure in that game.He has developed into a visionary passer of the ball and a clear goal scoring threat. Key StatsPremier League Games 153 - Goals 15 - Assists 45FA Cup 2004-05PFA Young Player of the Year 2007-8European Champion 2008-------------- Terry ------- -------Ronaldo Fàbregas -------- ---------<<<<<<Bergkamp>>>>>><<<<<<Van Nistelrooy>>>4-5-1 at the moment (depends if i get another striker)

I was in 3 minds tactically who to pick this round (3 different positions too), but I've decided I have to complete my strikeforce... Playing just behind Torres, linking play in a crazy-talented and lethal triangle with Cantona, I present my latest aquisition:Gianfranco Zolambs_zola_narrowweb__300x4900.jpgzola14.jpgOne of the best Premiership signings ever, in my opinion, Zola simply oozed talent and skill. These were the days before Abramovich's billions (and without so many other great players around him, like he would have today, of course)... but in many ways Zola could be accredited with starting the modern resurgence at Chelsea and if I was a fan I'd have a lot to be thankful to him for. His impact at the club was instant, helping the club to win the FA Cup in his first year... he won the Football Writer's Player of the Year Award that year, deservingly so. The next year he helped them to the League Cup, the Cup Winner's Cup and the Supercup. In 2003 he was voted best ever Chelsea player, by Chelsea fans.Zola scored many fantastic goals for Chelsea, but his impact for the team went way beyond that... his vision, ability to create space, through balls, desire and workrate, and all round wizardry makes Zola a key player in my team. I think he'll work especially well in my team... dashing to the left, the right and through the middle.. the footballing understanding, awareness and ability between my front three will surely be too much for any defenders here?!Gianfranco Zola - Legend

First up in my defence is the rock solid and ever reliable World Cup winning captain, Marcel Desailly.chelseaL1702_468x906.jpg

And the honour of being the first pick of round 6 is another legend. Rounding out my strikeforce is Welsh God, Sparky; Mark Hughes.mufc-markhughes.jpg

My 6th round pick is the 4th all time Premier League top scorer, Liverpool legend ROBBIE FOWLER.Fowler took the Premier League by storm in its early years and in his first spell with the Reds he used his pace, skill and predatory instincts to record a ratio of better than a goal every other game scoring 120 goals in 236 games over 8 seasons. Sadly for Liverpool and Fowler, he was snakebitten with injury problems that blighted his career but he was still able to use his intelligence and positioning to sustain a Premiership career, finally bowing out of the league earlier this season after a short spell with Blackburn.Over 16 years and in 2 terms at Liverpool, a spell with Leeds plus time at Man City and Blackburn, Fowler racked up 375 appearances and 161 league goals. He also scored 7 times in 26 games for England and won the PFA Young Player of the Year award twice in 1995 and 1996. In terms of team accolades Fowler won 2 League Cups, an FA Cup, a UEFA Cup and a Super Cup.fowler.jpg400932559_2ffa1416ae_o.jpgThere's only one Robbie Fowler - videoRobbie Fowler - wikipedia

I am delighted to complete my central defensive partnership with my next pick... I have the best ever Premiership centre back already in my team, so why not pair him alongside the second best? Who is it?Nemanja ohhh, Nemanja ohhh,He comes from Serbia,He'll f'kin' Murder Ya!My 6th Round pick: Nemanja VidicNemanja_Vidic.jpgVidic has been a huge success at United and become the best and currently most sought after defender in Europe. This should be no big surprise however, because since his arrival three years ago he's won 2 Premier Leagues (1 runner's up), 1 Champions League and a FIFA World Cup. This season, he started every match in a British Football League record run of 14 consecutive clean sheets in Premier League matches. Pretty impressive.He also adds a big aerial threat when coming forward and attacking set pieces.. he's scored many crucial goals to add to his defensive success.nemanja-vidic.jpgBrave, strong, committed... he takes no nonsense. We have a VERY solid back line forming here at Real Jamborino. Nemanja Vidic - Wikipedia

For my next pick I really want to add some defensive steel. For this role I have chosen to pick the 1st Choice right back for England and Manchester United for many years - Gary Neville. GaryNevilleLonLite_228x309.jpgProbably the most decorated right back in the History of the game. Gary Neville is the current Manchester United captain and one most consistent players in Premiership history. Amongst his many medals there is also a hint in controversy to his nature. After Manchester United scored a last minute winner against Liverpool in 2006 he, instead of joining in with his team mates, ran up to the Liverpool fans and celebrated in front of them. Key StatsPremier League Champion - 7 TimesChampions League - 2 times-------------- Terry ------- NevilleRonaldo Fàbregas -------- ---------<<<<<<Bergkamp>>>>>><<<<<<Van Nistelrooy>>>

6th Round- Andrei Kanchelskiskanchelskis%2016x12%20arms%20out%20BIG.jpgl39253675405_9530.jpgKanchelskis Gives me some real pace and more goal scoring prowess on the wing. This will provide some diversity and a lot of attacking options. Its easy to forget how good he was as a certain England winger that has amassed 109 caps came right after him, but Kanchelskis was key to the early ManU prem sidesHonors: Premier League- 93, 94 FA Cup- 94 --------------- ------ Keown -----Kanchelskis Keane Le Tissier ------- Wright Rooney

Round 6, Pick 6 - Pick #41 OVERALLFellow FCPers, I present to you...5.jpgMr. Gary Pallister6ft5in of footballing talent. This centre-back was the absolute rock at the base of United's team during the early-mid ninties. He played a total of 206 games for United and scored 8 goals. During his time with Manchester United, he won 4 Premier League titles, 3 FA Cup (2 coming post-1992) and a League Cup. Following his highly successful spell at Man. Utd, Pallister re-joined Middlesborough with whom he spent 5 seasons with in the '80s. At Boro, he played 55 games and scored 1 goal. He won 22 caps for England.313130_BIGPORTRAIT.jpgIn my team, Pallister will obviously partner Rio in central defence. In Ferdinand, I have speed, intelligence, passing and tackling. In Pallister, I have strength, determination, marking and heading. Both players are fantastic defenders. I feel it is vital to think about centre-backs in pairs (one centre-back make work excellently with a certain player, but may look terrible when paired with a different player). I feel these players will work very well together. They are both great leaders and both inspirational. They are both very intelligent players and are great at tackling and marking. Pallister is the big strong one, and Ferdinand is the quick, agile one. I think these two are great players, and it will be very, very hard to get the best of them......and even if you do, Given will save the shot :club:Honours:

My team so far:---------Henry--------------Scholes---Sheringham-------x------x--------x--x--Ferdinand---Pallister--x-----------Given----------

Ending Round 6 with a bang and, dare I jest, a bit of a limp...Adding a little pop up front, the goal scoring threat that is Michael Owenmichael-owen-5-31-08.jpgThe #7 all-time goalscorer in the Premiership despite a nagging hamstring issue, Owen rose to prominence in Liverpool, scoring 118 goals in 216 matches for the Reds. After a season with Real Madrid, Owen returned to the EP with Newcastle United and continues to score when uninjured.The only player to have ever scored in 4 major tournaments for England, he has scored a national record 26 competitive goals (40 total international goals, 4th highest all-time). He is also the 7th most capped English player.HonoursLiverpoolFA Cup: 2001 Football League Cup: 2001, 2003 FA Community Shield: 2001 UEFA Cup: 2001 European Super Cup: 2001 FA Youth Cup: 1996 InternationalFA Summer Tournament: 2004 IndividualPFA Young Player of the Year: 1998 Premier League joint top scorer: 1998, 1999 BBC Sports Personality of the Year: 1998 Ballon d'Or: 2001 FIFA 100

I'm going to throw in my pick quickly not to hold you guys up as I'll be away for awhile.The Guv'nor - Paul Ince.paul-ince-expecting-usual-welcome-from-hammers-fans2-415x275.jpg_44769355_manu_blackburn_pa300.jpgDoing the hard grind to allow freedom for Steven Gerrard to go do his thing I think Ince will fit in nicely in this squad and adds a strong character into the dressing room - so strong Sir Alex couldn't deal with it :PA 2-time Premiership winner, Ince won't feel out of place among the champions he'll be playing with in my team.

For my next pick, i finally see fit to give my team a bit of width, selecting former Arsenal and France winger ROBERT PIRES.Pires joined Arsenal in 2000 having already won a World Cup and European Championship for France for whom he clocked up 79 caps and 14 International goals. 14 goals was to be a favourite number of Pires during his time at Arsenal as that was the exact number he scored for 3 consecutive years from 2002-2005, amongst a total of 62 scored in 189 games over 6 years in the Premiership with the Gooners.During his time with Arsenal, Pires never finished outside the top 2 in the Premiership - winning it twice and runner up a further 3 times, he also won 3 FA Cups and was unfortunate to be subbed after just 12 minutes in the Champions League final, a game that turned out to be his last for the club. Pires also becomes the second member of the 'Arsenal' invincibles side that went unbeaten for the whole year in 2004, to be selected for my team.Individual honours include a Football Writers player of the year award in 2002, 3 appearances in the PFA team of the year plus being names top assist provider in the Premiership in 2002 and the top scoring midfield in 2004 showing he had a lovely balance to his game.My number 11, Robert Pires.Robert%20Pires.JPG_41191986_pires416.jpg

Robert Pires - wikipedia

A true midfield dynamo is being added to my team this round, the tough-tackling... Dietmar Hamanndietmar_hamann.jpgAdding solidity and composure in my midfield, Hamann also posseses a superb strike of the ball (England fans know all about this, unfortunately) and is also very well known for his range of passing and getting the most out of his team-mates.Having been signed for a then club record fee, he quickly became a key figure in the Liverpool team for seven years. In the 2000/2001 season he was in the form of his life and won his first big English trophy when Liverpool won a much-celebrated cup treble (League Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup). eurocup.jpgHe also played a huge part in Liverpool's dramatic 2005 Champions League win against AC Milan. It was his introduction into the game that started the comeback from 0-3 down, to eventually win on penalties. The reason he didn't start was because he was nursing a broken toe... but after a legendary performance he then stepped up and converted Liverpool's first penalty. That neatly summarizes the attitude of the man. He won the FA Cup again with Liverpool in 2006.His big time experience (along with everything else, he's had a fantastic international career and played in a World Cup Final), workrate and defensive duties make him the perfect Midfield General at Real Jamborino. Personally I always rated him very highly indeed, and would love to see how he lined up with some of the best players around him to work with.I think he gives some of my more attacking players a great platform to play from, as he will be playing ahead of Stam and Vidic putting in the tackles whilst also spraying the ball forward, or wide, creating space. I'm very happy to have Didi in my team!

For my next pick I have a player so good that they named a position after him - Claude Makélélé_Claude_Makelele_39586s.jpgHe was signed by Chelsea in the summer of 2003 from Real Madrid for over £16 MIL. By doing so it ripped the heart out of "Los Galacticos". This is because Makélélé is the heart of any midfield that he plays in, simply letting players around him flourish. A key member of Chelsea's two recent Premiership titles he is undoubtably the greatest defensive midfielder in Premiership history. His name has become so synonymous with his role on the pitch it is now commonly called the Makélélé postion.Key StatsPremier League Winner 2004-05, 2005-06World Cup runner up 2006------- Terry ------- NevilleRonaldo Fàbregas Makélélé ---------<<<<<<Bergkamp>>>>>><<<<<<Van Nistelrooy>>>

Round 7- Stuart PSYCHO Pearcestuart-pearce-fore_1244975c.jpgStuartPearcePA_468x398.jpgI want to grab Psycho before someone gets smart and drafts him. Captain of England basically speaks for itself, especially while doing it when being at forrest. He will lock down my left side and is one of the 3 LBs worth drafting IMO that are truly world class, with Irwin being one of the others. Him and Keane will give my side some needed touchness and working class mentality while being great footballers ---------- ----- ------- Keown Psycho Kanchelskis Keane Le Tissier -------- Wright Rooney