88 Early In A 6 Person $5 Sng

I've often heard there's never a situation where you don't get it all in with AK pre flop in a short handed small stakes tourney.Does that go for the mid pocket pairs that are a coin flip against AK as well?I play under lmw61787, villain is 00pandabear00.Full Tilt Poker Game #11243439086: $5 + $0.50 Sit & Go (84527645), Table 1 - 20/40 - No Limit Hold'em - 18:44:04 ET - 2009/03/20Seat 1: aimow (1,315)Seat 2: 00pandabear00 (1,305)Seat 3: lmw61787 (2,540)Seat 5: APAPLAYA (2,985)Seat 6: NewOrderRockets (855)00pandabear00 posts the small blind of 20lmw61787 posts the big blind of 40The button is in seat #1*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to lmw61787 [8h 8s]APAPLAYA foldsNewOrderRockets foldsaimow folds00pandabear00 raises to 80lmw61787 raises to 35000pandabear00 raises to 1,305, and is all inlmw61787 calls 95500pandabear00 shows [Qc Qh]lmw61787 shows [8h 8s]*** FLOP *** [4s 9h 6c]*** TURN *** [4s 9h 6c] [3h]*** RIVER *** [4s 9h 6c 3h] [5c]00pandabear00 shows a pair of Queenslmw61787 shows a pair of Eights00pandabear00 wins the pot (2,610) with a pair of Queens*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 2,610 | Rake 0Board: [4s 9h 6c 3h 5c]Seat 1: aimow (button) didn't bet (folded)Seat 2: 00pandabear00 (small blind) showed [Qc Qh] and won (2,610) with a pair of QueensSeat 3: lmw61787 (big blind) showed [8h 8s] and lost with a pair of EightsSeat 5: APAPLAYA didn't bet (folded)Seat 6: NewOrderRockets didn't bet (folded)Severely overplayed?Thanks guys.

I've often heard there's never a situation where you don't get it all in with AK pre flop in a short handed small stakes tourney.
that can be arguably debated both ways depending on how good a post flop player you are. As far as the 88 all in call, a friend of mine and I have a joke about moving all in with big pairs in tournys and getting called by a lower pair cause "he thinks he is in a coinflip." Don't be that guy.
I've often heard there's never a situation where you don't get it all in with AK pre flop in a short handed small stakes tourney.Does that go for the mid pocket pairs that are a coin flip against AK as well?
88 is a coinflip vs AK, but dominated by so many overpairs, while AK is only dominated by Aces or Kings.I have no clue of the pushing ranges in short handed games, but I'd guess it's a close fold there.

I've noticed at micro levels a lot of weak(imo) players will give a min-bump with strong hands. I imagine they are trying to build a pot without scaring away too many marginal hands. I believe this is terrible strategy, but what do I know. In any event, they will min-bump, and insta-push to a raise..that's a red-flag to me that screams monster. Can you get away from 88 there? Yes. You haven't commited that much with your raise, and even with a coin-flip that early in the game, I wouldn't risk it. If you are a stronger player, continue to play small ball. Don't play get lucky poker and hope for a flip.Just my opinion.

I think this is a horrible play to make with 8s. The reraise was bad and the call was terrible.Don't listen to your friends. Instead google sng strategy and read 5-8 articles. The majority of them will recommend a very similar approach. None of them will recommend putting yourself in a coin flip situations with your stack size in relation to the blinds.

The reraise was bad and the call was terrible.
I unanimously agree with the latter half of your statement, but you really think the reraise was that bad?I can't raise when the SB opens for the min?I like to think my 8s are good there pretty often. That being said, my 8s are seldom good to the 3bet and I should have folded. Calling off with 88 is what I have the problem with, not SO much the reraise.Enlighten me...

Isn't 'don't overplay your pocket pairs' poker 101 these days?You have a small lead against most all-ins there, but are a 4:1 dog against most PP's.Alot of people shove all-in with those mini PPs preflop, but there are only a few situations where this is a good idea (PS: this wasn't one :club: )So yeah, i agree with most of the replys, you got what was coming.why AK is better to shove with preflop is that you still have a coinflip against almost any pocket pair, and an advantage to any other 2 cards (and a dominating lead against AQ, KQ and most other sklansky 2 hands)

I unanimously agree with the latter half of your statement, but you really think the reraise was that bad?I can't raise when the SB opens for the min?I like to think my 8s are good there pretty often. That being said, my 8s are seldom good to the 3bet and I should have folded. Calling off with 88 is what I have the problem with, not SO much the reraise.Enlighten me...
The problem with reraising 88 is there's a ton of flops that hate you if he flats your raise and you waste chips if you 3bet/fold. Flat call his raise and do go broke with mid pairs this early. It's way too early to be getting it in with that hand.
I like to think my 8s are good there pretty often.
Maybe so. But you are never going to maintain a decent roi playing hands where you are only slightly ahead for your whole stack.