You had Dodd include the bonuses for fear of lawsuits but congressional action to tax them 90 plus percent will bring no lawsuits? In other news, I went gun shopping yesterday. I cannot justify not being prepared for what very well may be a fight with my own government at some point. Luckily, I have an uncanny ability to compartmentalize and do what should be done in the moment, with no real regret. Crazy talk? Maybe. I don't know. I just am fairly certain that government by the people, for the people, has to at some point be a real concept, even if by force. So, this thread can be about my new militia or it can be about what a ****ing huge smokescreen this all is. I don't care, i'm just pissed. Satisfied with my 2 new shotguns, though, some sort of hunting rifle is next and few easy to handle handguns. Let's rock, bitches.

a little dramatic, arent we?
I had been planning the gun shopping for awhile. Also quietly socking away money for a decent boat just in case we need to take to the seas at some point. My Hyundai Santa Fe, while not ideal in my mind but will have to do, houses non-perishable food items and water in every nook and cranny it can fit, and we all have bags packed with essentials just in case we need to move pronto. Obviously precautionary, but I do not doubt the idea that at some point things may get completely out of hand for a myriad of reasons and survival of the fittest may be the order of the day. What are you gonna do, sarcastically quip your way out of your troubles? I think not my friend.
Just try and trade your sense of humour and disdain for an MRE in the last days. I dare you.
I got a few from my brother back in the day but only ate the m&ms. what can you do.
You had Dodd include the bonuses for fear of lawsuits but congressional action to tax them 90 plus percent will bring no lawsuits? In other news, I went gun shopping yesterday. I cannot justify not being prepared for what very well may be a fight with my own government at some point. Luckily, I have an uncanny ability to compartmentalize and do what should be done in the moment, with no real regret. Crazy talk? Maybe. I don't know. I just am fairly certain that government by the people, for the people, has to at some point be a real concept, even if by force. So, this thread can be about my new militia or it can be about what a ****ing huge smokescreen this all is. I don't care, i'm just pissed. Satisfied with my 2 new shotguns, though, some sort of hunting rifle is next and few easy to handle handguns. Let's rock, bitches.
Y2K deja vu?
I had been planning the gun shopping for awhile. Also quietly socking away money for a decent boat just in case we need to take to the seas at some point. My Hyundai Santa Fe, while not ideal in my mind but will have to do, houses non-perishable food items and water in every nook and cranny it can fit, and we all have bags packed with essentials just in case we need to move pronto. Obviously precautionary, but I do not doubt the idea that at some point things may get completely out of hand for a myriad of reasons and survival of the fittest may be the order of the day. What are you gonna do, sarcastically quip your way out of your troubles? I think not my friend.
Don't let BG hear you say that
I am a bit of a "gun nut" (who could forget this classic: http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...125006&hl=), and certainly do not trust my government, but I feel that your thinking is part of the problem instead of part of the solution.Being "prepared" to give up on our system is just reactive. I am reminded of the Liberals threatening to move to Canada during the Reagan/Bush/Bush years over the frustration of the Country "heading in the wrong direction".Just as the hysteria, ignorance, and overreaction sent the stock market and economy into turmoil, if enough people think like you, then the prophecy fulfills itself. I am frustrated by the ignorant who refuse to reenter the economy until it "gets better" instead of helping to make it better through their own individual actions. They'd rather sit with their money in their mattress. Fear is contagious. So is Leadership.The other day I went to Starbucks, this wasn't long after the Historic Inauguration. As the Barista expertly passed hot water thru ground up coffee beans, he gave a heavy but somehow hopeful sigh and looked outside. "I'm just excited," he gushed."About what?""Oh, just excited, you know about all of the change and stuff that we're going to have." Clearly alluding to the Savior now in Office.Since I obviously had not yet had my coffee, I was in no mood to allow nonsense to run unbridled. "Yeah. Change. Change can be good, but what are you doing to make the change?" He looked at me with a mixture of offense and surprise. How dare I intrude upon his euphoria? "Seriously. You want change, but what are you willing to do to ensure it happens the way you expect it to? Just getting a new guy in the White House and then smile and grin at the changes all around doesn't mean they'll actually be the changes you want. You can't just sit on your ass and hope "they" make changes for you. If you really want change you need to get involved." I'm always out making new friends.I guess my point is don't become that which you hate - be a catalyst for the sorts of change you feel are best. Otherwise you become part of the problem.

...and I do understand your frustration. It is very much akin to what I was feeling beginning in 92 and that got even worse when Clinton was re-elected. That was when I really got into guns. I told my father that I wanted to just cash out and find a place in the World to insulate myself from where I felt the world was headed. So, yeah, I get what you're saying and feeling. Your self definition is threatened by where you see the World heading. But surrendering to the temptation of giving up would be a waste. Life is long and has ups and downs. Don't shut down.

OP, I think PotoddsRAC has a good response. Why not search out a political organisation that reflects your concerns and become an activist?

Haaaaaaaaaa buy american
OP, I think PotoddsRAC has a good response. Why not search out a political organisation that reflects your concerns and become an activist?
yes, perhaps even nationalism?
...and I do understand your frustration. It is very much akin to what I was feeling beginning in 92 and that got even worse when Clinton was re-elected. That was when I really got into guns. I told my father that I wanted to just cash out and find a place in the World to insulate myself from where I felt the world was headed. So, yeah, I get what you're saying and feeling. Your self definition is threatened by where you see the World heading. But surrendering to the temptation of giving up would be a waste. Life is long and has ups and downs. Don't shut down.
Oh, I am not giving up, just staying prepared. If you look at the world and think, X, X or X is a real possibility and I am not prepared, I think it behooves you to prepare, that's all, and maybe I should have been prepared all along, and am just pissed because now I feel I HAVE to. I just want have plans in place if I need to bug out and take care of what I care about.
This...... it's in the works. I may have to just start my own. The tagline would be "Still crazy, just less crazy."

No doubt.The President and Sen. Dodd, who were some of first the people screaming about the bonuses, are the very ones who put the language in the stimulus bill that allowed for the bonuses to happen!At first, Dodd even denied it: On Tuesday, Dodd told FOX News that he didn't add the exemption."When the language went to the conference and came back, there was different language," he said then. "I can tell you this much, when my language left the Senate, it did not include it. When it came back, it did."Then he admitted that he did add the exemption but that the President's Treasury officials forced him to do it:In a dramatic reversal Wednesday, Sen. Chris Dodd confessed to adding language to a spending cap in the stimulus bill last month that specifically excluded executive bonuses included in contracts signed before the bill's passage. Dodd, D-Conn., told FOX News that Treasury officials forced him to make the change.http://mnbullhead.blogspot.com/

Sal Paradise said:
yes, perhaps even nationalism?

Hello, clever person. You do realise that whatever a person may feel, it is better for them to exercise those feelings in a legal, political manner. Just trying to direct emotion here, really.

Oh, I am not giving up, just staying prepared. If you look at the world and think, X, X or X is a real possibility and I am not prepared, I think it behooves you to prepare, that's all, and maybe I should have been prepared all along, and am just pissed because now I feel I HAVE to. I just want have plans in place if I need to bug out and take care of what I care about.
You're not alone though that might not be much comfort when it comes from me :club:. Anyway, I also have a person on my little forum that's expressing the same thoughts so there's more than one of you.

WoW! This from RealClearPolitics.Link: HereDodd's Wife a Former Director of Bermuda-Based IPC Holdings, an AIG Controlled CompanyBy Kevin RennieNo wonder Senator Christopher Dodd (D-Conn) went wobbly last week when asked about his February amendment ratifying hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses to executives at insurance giant AIG. Dodd has been one of the company's favorite recipients of campaign contributions. But it turns out that Senator Dodd's wife has also benefited from past connections to AIG as well. From 2001-2004, Jackie Clegg Dodd served as an "outside" director of IPC Holdings, Ltd., a Bermuda-based company controlled by AIG. IPC, which provides property casualty catastrophe insurance coverage, was formed in 1993 and currently has a market cap of $1.4 billion and trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol IPCR. In 2001, in addition to a public offering of 15 million shares of stock that raised $380 million, IPC raised more than $109 million through a simultaneous private placement sale of 5.6 million shares of stock to AIG - giving AIG a 20% stake in IPC. (AIG sold its 13.397 million shares in IPC in August, 2006.) Clegg was compensated for her duties to the company, which was managed by a subsidiary of AIG. In 2003, according to a proxy statement, Clegg received $12,000 per year and an additional $1,000 for each Directors' and committee meeting she attended. Clegg served on the Audit and Investment committees during her final year on the board. IPC paid millions each year to other AIG-related companies for administrative and other services. Clegg was a diligent director. In 2003, the proxy statement report, she attended more than 75% of board and committee meetings. This while she served as the managing partner of Clegg International Consultants, LLC, which she created in 2001, the year she joined the board of IPC. (See Dodd's public financial disclosure reports with the Senate from 2001-2004 here.)Dodd is likely more familiar with the complicated workings of AIG than he was letting on last week. This week may provide him with another opportunity to refresh his recollections.Kevin Rennie, a former Republican state senator, is a columnist for the Hartford Courant. He can be reached at kfrennie@yahoo.com.

WoW! This from RealClearPolitics.Link: HereDodd's Wife a Former Director of Bermuda-Based IPC Holdings, an AIG Controlled CompanyBy Kevin RennieNo wonder Senator Christopher Dodd (D-Conn) went wobbly last week when asked about his February amendment ratifying hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses to executives at insurance giant AIG. Dodd has been one of the company's favorite recipients of campaign contributions. But it turns out that Senator Dodd's wife has also benefited from past connections to AIG as well. From 2001-2004, Jackie Clegg Dodd served as an "outside" director of IPC Holdings, Ltd., a Bermuda-based company controlled by AIG. IPC, which provides property casualty catastrophe insurance coverage, was formed in 1993 and currently has a market cap of $1.4 billion and trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol IPCR. In 2001, in addition to a public offering of 15 million shares of stock that raised $380 million, IPC raised more than $109 million through a simultaneous private placement sale of 5.6 million shares of stock to AIG - giving AIG a 20% stake in IPC. (AIG sold its 13.397 million shares in IPC in August, 2006.) Clegg was compensated for her duties to the company, which was managed by a subsidiary of AIG. In 2003, according to a proxy statement, Clegg received $12,000 per year and an additional $1,000 for each Directors' and committee meeting she attended. Clegg served on the Audit and Investment committees during her final year on the board. IPC paid millions each year to other AIG-related companies for administrative and other services. Clegg was a diligent director. In 2003, the proxy statement report, she attended more than 75% of board and committee meetings. This while she served as the managing partner of Clegg International Consultants, LLC, which she created in 2001, the year she joined the board of IPC. (See Dodd's public financial disclosure reports with the Senate from 2001-2004 here.)Dodd is likely more familiar with the complicated workings of AIG than he was letting on last week. This week may provide him with another opportunity to refresh his recollections.Kevin Rennie, a former Republican state senator, is a columnist for the Hartford Courant. He can be reached at kfrennie@yahoo.com.
OK. Ask around. I am as much or more of a Right Wing hack than most around here - certainly when it comes to Fiscal Policy and criticism of the Left. Especially Dodd and his actions related to the Bailout Bill and AIG, and his comments over the past week or two. But this just seems like Witch Hunting to the extreme. Very silly and counterproductive to any rational debate. I would imagine that this, instead of making the Right look rational and interested in progress, is the sort of thing that will continue to polarize the debate and even push more of those in the Middle over to the Left side of the ledger.Dodd "went wobbly last week" because he supported bad legislation without actually knowing its full potential impact, got caught in doing so, and tried the usually effective "trick" of denying his failings.
OK. Ask around. I am as much or more of a Right Wing hack than most around here - certainly when it comes to Fiscal Policy and criticism of the Left. Especially Dodd and his actions related to the Bailout Bill and AIG, and his comments over the past week or two. But this just seems like Witch Hunting to the extreme. Very silly and counterproductive to any rational debate. I would imagine that this, instead of making the Right look rational and interested in progress, is the sort of thing that will continue to polarize the debate and even push more of those in the Middle over to the Left side of the ledger.Dodd "went wobbly last week" because he supported bad legislation without actually knowing its full potential impact, got caught in doing so, and tried the usually effective "trick" of denying his failings.
The wife thing I can see as being viewed as a witch hunt but not the political contributions received by Dodd (and Obama) from AIG:According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Obama received $104,332 from AIG and Dodd raked in $103,900. Obama and Dodd far outpaced the rest of Congress, as the next largest beneficiary received about $45,000 less than each of them.My guess is the wife's position was just another form of a "political donation" to Dodd.These things would normally be viewed by me as business as usual in Washington but since Dodd and Obama are the two screaming the loudest about the AIG bonus's (for political cover imo) I think these revelations deserve mention.
My guess is the wife's position was just another form of a "political donation" to Dodd.
This.Anyone who doesn't think the wife thing is just another level of corruption of one of the most corrupt members of congress doesn't understand how power works.