Yes, this is an actual strat post, and it's in general, just thought it would get more responses here, and I think infusing a little more strat into GenPok is a good thing.This is from the MSNL HU Tourney, villain is TeeJayOrTJ, a MSNL reg from 2p2, he's played pretty standard so far in this match, has a rep as a good player.What's the play on this river? Check/fold, check/call, bet/call, shove?Poker Stars $5.50+$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t5/t10 Blinds - 2 players - View hand 67745The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History ConverterBTN/SB: t1490 M = 99.33Hero (BB): t2510 M = 167.33Pre Flop: (t15) Hero is BB with J :4h K :5cBTN/SB raises to t30, Hero raises to t100, BTN/SB calls t70Flop: (t200) T :3h 4 :qh J :ts(2 players)Hero bets t140, BTN/SB calls t140Turn: (t480) J :club:(2 players)Hero bets t350, BTN/SB calls t350River: (t1180) 3 :D(2 players)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think checkcalling is the worsto f the 3 options.I think he would fold his KQ hereon the turn, and hes not gonna bet a worst hand like a10 when he can just get free showdown. I don't know anything about the player, but shoving is prob best.

I agree.I'd just bet half to 2/3 pot and then call it off
Why? If I bet 600, is he really bluffing for his additional 300 chips? Keep in mind he has less than a psb left on the river.
i think checkcalling is the worsto f the 3 options.I think he would fold his KQ hereon the turn, and hes not gonna bet a worst hand like a10 when he can just get free showdown. I don't know anything about the player, but shoving is prob best.
i actually think he folds everything that isnt an overpair or a better imo, and if we check we look scared and give him a chance to bluff. granted i am not the greatest player to listen to
Why? If I bet 600, is he really bluffing for his additional 300 chips? Keep in mind he has less than a psb left on the river.
Missed that. So yeah, I'd just put him in. Assuming you haven't been super passive (which I highly doubt) I think you get paid off by J9, QJ, and then a few tens as well. You may fold out something that he very occasionally may turn into a bluff like 99 or something if you check, but I think that route is significantly less profitable. So just ship and let him call with worse if that's what he wants to do.
The way I see it, his range is likely polarized to Jx, AT, KT, sets a small % of Flush Draws, KQ, overpairs.So against this range, what is the play?
again i think he is folding all 10s and could beet Jx so check/call imo
again i think he is folding all 10s and could beet Jx so check/call imo
If he called with a ten on two previous streets, to suddenly fold it on the river when a club came would be pretty silly, especially in a tournament setting where now he will be short on chips and can't reload.
If he called with a ten on two previous streets, to suddenly fold it on the river when a club came would be pretty silly, especially in a tournament setting where now he will be short on chips and can't reload.
right, but i dont think he is folding because of the club, i think he is folding to try and save his tourney life. that said i wouldnt be opposed to jamming after this post
right, but i dont think he is folding because of the club, i think he is folding to try and save his tourney life. that said i wouldnt be opposed to jamming after this post
i don't think tourney life applies much here as they are all good players and are looking for the most profitable play.

I think what Looshle said is closest to my thought process. I don't feel like there's much he's bluffing with on this river, and if I give up, I'm rarely calling down with worse than 3 jacks, so by checking the river, he rarely shoves anything I beat. However, I think shoving the river heavily polarizes my range to nut/air types of hands. I feel like it's tough for him to have a flush, so he's either going to call or fold hands like Tx, overpairs, Jx, which he would probably check behind on the river. This looks like a great spot for me to triple-barrel the river, and knowing that he can be thinking that I might be able to represent a 3x barrel bluff here and get a call out of a hand that I beat.

i don't think tourney life applies much here as they are all good players and are looking for the most profitable play.
this may be a dumb question but is there something to be said for moving all in or just betting the amount your opponet has?

I would just call out of position preflop. I would c/r him on the flop, I would bet out on the turn for about %60 of the pot, and I would check call the river.Edit:As played: A ten looks strong in a heads up match when the board pairs. If he had an over pair he would have fought back on the flop, if not then, on the turn to put us on a jack unless he intends to call down, though that would be dumb with such a strong board on the flop.Initially I think I could put him on KQ, with 2 overs and openended. i thought possibly KcQc, but I think he would push back with that as well. I don't think 2 clubs alone can call the turn, except for the fact that the board paired top pair. This fact changes everything in the hand, because it can completely change how he views our hand. He can put us on a jack on the flop, but it is much harder to put us on a jack in a heads up match when the board pairs it. With that psychology, he know his call in position can be very scary, and probably expects it to freeze us on the river with any hand. He could be looking to freeze us and pretend to have the flush if it hits and we check.This hand all comes down to, he COULD have alot of things, but for a heads up pot our hand is far too strong to just check fold, it's also too strong to not give him a chance to bluff the river... if we bet out, pretty much no matter the amount, the only thing we get action from beats us, especially since he could believe we bet a flush draw the whole way.So, I feel we check and give them a chance to bet/bluff. I don't feel we can raise a bet because as stated before he COULD have us beat, so we minimize our losses in a sense, but I also feel we don't fold to any bet.The only way to get action from him on the river if he's beat is if we check to show weakness.

I think what Looshle said is closest to my thought process. I don't feel like there's much he's bluffing with on this river, and if I give up, I'm rarely calling down with worse than 3 jacks, so by checking the river, he rarely shoves anything I beat. However, I think shoving the river heavily polarizes my range to nut/air types of hands. I feel like it's tough for him to have a flush, so he's either going to call or fold hands like Tx, overpairs, Jx, which he would probably check behind on the river. This looks like a great spot for me to triple-barrel the river, and knowing that he can be thinking that I might be able to represent a 3x barrel bluff here and get a call out of a hand that I beat.
good thought processI'd shove the river. He has 900 left and the pot is 1200. hu players will think of reasons to call off light vs. an aggro opp.

In hu cash games the flow of the match and the meta-game are key going into a hand like this. Certain times the opp. may snap call with his hand and insta fold it if the flow is differnt.

I would just call out of position preflop. I would c/r him on the flop, I would bet out on the turn for about %60 of the pot, and I would check call the river.Edit:As played: A ten looks strong in a heads up match when the board pairs. If he had an over pair he would have fought back on the flop, if not then, on the turn to put us on a jack unless he intends to call down, though that would be dumb with such a strong board on the flop.Initially I think I could put him on KQ, with 2 overs and openended. i thought possibly KcQc, but I think he would push back with that as well. I don't think 2 clubs alone can call the turn, except for the fact that the board paired top pair. This fact changes everything in the hand, because it can completely change how he views our hand. He can put us on a jack on the flop, but it is much harder to put us on a jack in a heads up match when the board pairs it. With that psychology, he know his call in position can be very scary, and probably expects it to freeze us on the river with any hand. He could be looking to freeze us and pretend to have the flush if it hits and we check.This hand all comes down to, he COULD have alot of things, but for a heads up pot our hand is far too strong to just check fold, it's also too strong to not give him a chance to bluff the river... if we bet out, pretty much no matter the amount, the only thing we get action from beats us, especially since he could believe we bet a flush draw the whole way.So, I feel we check and give them a chance to bet/bluff. I don't feel we can raise a bet because as stated before he COULD have us beat, so we minimize our losses in a sense, but I also feel we don't fold to any bet.The only way to get action from him on the river if he's beat is if we check to show weakness.
In hu cash games the flow of the match and the meta-game are key going into a hand like this. Certain times the opp. may snap call with his hand and insta fold it if the flow is differnt.
In this tournament style... how much value would be in check calling the river if he only bets say 600, and you save 300 though you lose the hand to, say, a flush... is their enough value in those 300 chips (since it's actually a 600 chip difference in terms of you're not only losing them but he's gaining them) to make a difference in your decision making for the tournament beyond that hand?
In this tournament style... how much value would be in check calling the river if he only bets say 600, and you save 300 though you lose the hand to, say, a flush... is their enough value in those 300 chips (since it's actually a 600 chip difference in terms of you're not only losing them but he's gaining them) to make a difference in your decision making for the tournament beyond that hand?
By check calling 2/3 your stack you are going to be 99% confident you have the best hand in this spot. Which if this is the case a check / shove or open shove the river are the two best options.Note there is more than one draw out there, KQ is also a very likely hand in this spot especially at this buy in level. Depending on the villains style, I'd like to either check snap, or time for a little while and bet a smaller amount (say 300) inducing KQ to donk shove over the top. You will lose value by simply shoving or checking. I think the smaller river bet will get him to call with a 10, and sometimes over shove with KQ. Either way if he has hit his flush you can't avoid it, but you can increase your EV when he misses KQ or had A10 etc.Edit: the re-pop pre is very spewy

I think he dumps most flush draws when the turn pairs the board and you lead again. I think a flopped combo draw pressures the flop more.When the villain calls the turn and leaves himself short, he's not folding any river. I think jamming gets snap called by a VERY wide range of hands we beat and some we don't (OBV) depending on your image, gameflow, etc.