• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty certain Dwan knew Barry had an overpair to the board which is what makes his flop raise and subsequent playing of the hand so special. I mean, Greenstein opened for 2500, got 8 callers, and made the comment on it. Then, he leads strongly into 8 players on a board that heavily favors the overpair, and Dwan raises sitting to his immediate left with 7 players left to act behind him. If I were in his shoes there, I would not have even called the 10k bet. I would have just read Barry for the overpair, and mucked my hand. That's where the specialness of Dwan's play came in. Most players just wouldn't think to play it that way; therefore, most opponents would react in a weird manner -- exactly the way the hand played out. Just a brilliant play.

Even 200k buy in is 250 BB's at their 400/800 gameA huge determining factor is what stakes your playing. I do this at a $10NL game and I'm a donk, do it with 500k in front and I'm a poker prodigy.
What I meant was that in a small stakes game, the player who called the opening raise w 42o is going to be very excited to have hit trips on his hand. Very rarely if ever will this opponent fold his trip deuces.

I understand what you ment, I was just suggesting the differences in play between the limits and what constitutes a good play and not. A player at $10NL would never fold that but a player with 500k in front would.

I'm pretty certain Dwan knew Barry had an overpair to the board which is what makes his flop raise and subsequent playing of the hand so special. I mean, Greenstein opened for 2500, got 8 callers, and made the comment on it. Then, he leads strongly into 8 players on a board that heavily favors the overpair, and Dwan raises sitting to his immediate left with 7 players left to act behind him. If I were in his shoes there, I would not have even called the 10k bet. I would have just read Barry for the overpair, and mucked my hand. That's where the specialness of Dwan's play came in. Most players just wouldn't think to play it that way; therefore, most opponents would react in a weird manner -- exactly the way the hand played out. Just a brilliant play.
I understand what you ment, I was just suggesting the differences in play between the limits and what constitutes a good play and not. A player at $10NL would never fold that but a player with 500k in front would.
I was going to say. You can make that play with $50 million behind. You can fold AA there for $500,000.

Dwan had to have insight into Eastgates play. He even said he knew PE had the best hand. He's either talked with people who have played with him in cash games, or knew he was carrying tournament survival strat over... He didn't not put Peter on trips, he knew the element that having BG in the pot created.. even if PE thought he might have Durr beat, he has no idea what BG could be sitting on... Durr planned on BG creating a PE fold, and BG folding b/c of the board..

Dwan had to have insight into Eastgates play. He even said he knew PE had the best hand. He's either talked with people who have played with him in cash games, or knew he was carrying tournament survival strat over... He didn't not put Peter on trips, he knew the element that having BG in the pot created.. even if PE thought he might have Durr beat, he has no idea what BG could be sitting on... Durr planned on BG creating a PE fold, and BG folding b/c of the board..
disagree, durrrr new right away PE folded the 2, and i think that PE knew that durrrr put him on a 2, given that and knowing that BG has an overpair what can you possibly bet with there?a boat, he didn't have one, but he certainly played it like he did
disagree, durrrr new right away PE folded the 2, and i think that PE knew that durrrr put him on a 2, given that and knowing that BG has an overpair what can you possibly bet with there?a boat, he didn't have one, but he certainly played it like he did
this isn't really disagreeing.. i think he knew PE was tight enough to make this fold, and I think Durr knew he was a level above in terms of cash game thinking...
this isn't really disagreeing.. i think he knew PE was tight enough to make this fold, and I think Durr knew he was a level above in terms of cash game thinking...
i guess we a smashing the same cat with different hammersdwan has really impressed me with his play lately, you can see the gains and adjustments he has made to his live game over the past year or so, he is reading players better than anyone at the table right now
zomg 9 on the turn
I lost all respect for Barry this week. The speech about math being idiotic after sucking out in a 500k pot was pretty bad manner, even if he was kidding. Especially after Durrr spanked him. When was the last time anyone saw Barry put his money in bad and get embarrassed?
I just re-watched the hand. I have to honest, this play is way above my head. I mean, Barry's c-bet is strong and Dwan knows there are 7 other players in the pot, AND he still raised the flop. From there, it's down to the three guys who actually got something. Dwan felt that it was very unlikely Eastgate had tens full cuz he had a ten blocker, also Barry seemed to have a big pair here. He puts in 104,200 into about 137k. The other two players know how can make this kind of analysis, so he knows he has the worst hand, and still puts in the big money. VERY SICK. Was he trying to represent A2d b/c the board read 2s Td 2c 7d......A2d is a possible candidate. Still wow! When I feel like I am beat, I fold. Maybe that's why I'm not rich like Tom Dwan. He just put the money in there regardless. Amazing!
Barry turned his hand face up with the strong c bet which makes dwans re pop look that much stronger with 7 players behind to act ..... then Peter turns his hand pretty much face up when he flats instantly .... I am pretty much at that point Barry wanted to puke right there on the table .... I dont completely dislike his peeling the flop after the re pop to catch his 2 outer .... Now when the 7 of Diamonds comes off on the turn Dwan Knows Barry is on an over pair and Eastgate has been playing so tight that Dwan Knows he is capable of folding a deuce with a weak kicker .... Now if Barry has a Deuce in Peters hand I pretty much figure Eastgates fold confused Barry Greatly .... Now he is off to deal with Dwan .... You have to look at his image plus how the hand has played out thus far .... He repoped the flop and and lead the turn strongly and with Durrs style taken into account you can easily put either pocket tens in his hands or even 2x in his hand and in either case Barry is way behind .... Durr's bet on the turn was genius because with Barry's stack he is either folding or shoving all in ..... simply because he doesnt have enough behind to just call the turn and then actually effectively push dwan off his hand on the river ... Simply put hindsight is 20/20 .... but in the situation and given the reads .... and given the action i have a hard time believing most people in that game wouldnt have gotten away from the rockets at that point ..... Dwan played the situation brilliantly and the only value his cards had was the fact that it pretty much took tens full out of eastgates and barry's hand ..... I am pretty curious to know if Eastgate flats again on the turn A) does Barry still get away from the aces and B) does Dwan empty the clip on the river .... Definately proof of the statement when you play those levels the money has to simply be viewed as chips and never viewed as money until you get up from the table
I lost all respect for Barry this week. The speech about math being idiotic after sucking out in a 500k pot was pretty bad manner, even if he was kidding. Especially after Durrr spanked him. When was the last time anyone saw Barry put his money in bad and get embarrassed?
I can't lose respect for Barry, who's probably my favorite HSP player. He was obviously bothered by sucking out on Dwan - I mean, not REALLY bothered, but thinking "wow, I'm a donk and everyone's gonna know it..." - but he did have to promote his charity at some point, and he doesn't know if he'll have another opportunity to do it. Last season he did it when involved in a big hand with Lindgren. Just part of his schtick. He did maintain a solemn pose until Dwan broke the silence.
I can't lose respect for Barry, who's probably my favorite HSP player. He was obviously bothered by sucking out on Dwan - I mean, not REALLY bothered, but thinking "wow, I'm a donk and everyone's gonna know it..." - but he did have to promote his charity at some point, and he doesn't know if he'll have another opportunity to do it. Last season he did it when involved in a big hand with Lindgren. Just part of his schtick. He did maintain a solemn pose until Dwan broke the silence.
Not so much "I'm a donk" as "I was seriously, completely, utterly owned there."

Didn't thoroughly read the thread, but I saw someone mentioned that Durrrr had insight on Peter's game......doesn't the hand they previously played with A6 show that PE is afraid to play for his whole 500k?

Didn't thoroughly read the thread, but I saw someone mentioned that Durrrr had insight on Peter's game... PE is afraid to play for his whole 500k.
FYP a little. Durr is a blood-smelling shark. It's like his philosophy is that if PE finds the nuts against his aggression, then so be it, but he'll be able to make more $ in this game by abusing him. If you're PE, and you're playing that hand PF, and then subsequently folding a 2 on this board to durr, you need to rack up and go home.
FYP a little. Durr is a blood-smelling shark. It's like his philosophy is that if PE finds the nuts against his aggression, then so be it, but he'll be able to make more $ in this game by abusing him. If you're PE, and you're playing that hand PF, and then subsequently folding a 2 on this board to durr, you need to rack up and go home.
yeah i'm not sure what he was trying to hit playing that hand
He was trying to hit what he had, just didn't feel comfortable playing for 500k w/weak trips. He's admitted that his mistake was buying in so deeply
there was a time when i would play hands like that because i just knew i would be crushing whoever i ran into, i would play them for entire 7 and 8 buying stacks with relish and mustardbutyou run bad for a while and you play scared in those situations, you miss those opportunities, you buy in short because you always feel your flopped nut straight is going to get cracked runner runner, or someone will play a worse hand but hit their kicker, i wonder how PE was running prior to this show?

I don't PE think completed with his hand with the fear that Durrrr would be the one punishing him. Just because Dwan is at the table doesn't mean that he should make every preflop decision based on whether or not he is in the hand. PE did everything that anybody else would, he got a sweet price out of the SB and decided to see the flop probably thinking he was mostly up against Barry's opening range. I don't think it's fair to make accusations about how someone plays based on the fact that their thought process changed as the hand progressed. Ordinarily, we would consider that good poker. The one mistake that I think PE made was that he didn't take TT out of Barry's range. At the time that he folded, Barry was still behind him. Barry's action on the turn isn't unlike a line most would take w/ TT. I just don't think Barry would lead into 8 guys w/ TT on that flop. Then again, maybe a really good player would because it totally disguises his hand.I could just be rambling, but I don't think PE's fold is that terrible. In fact, long term it might be a really good fold.

I could just be rambling, but I don't think PE's fold is that terrible. In fact, long term it might be a really good fold.
how about making that call just for information?
For information you can just wait for the broadcast
game is long over by thenthe full tilt poker million dollar cash game is starting to show on pokertube (in german though), has anyone noticed the difference betweens dwans play there and in this game?

All I've seen of Dwan there is picking up a cooler against Benyaminealso, seeing PA play like garbage against Dwan, trying a 10nl level bluff in one hand, and paying off when way obviously beaten w/KJ