Help Please - My Poker Game Needs Help

FCP Members,I am looking for some help from your experiences.At the point I don't know what's going wrong with my poker game.I have been playing now for about 4 yrs without really cashing in. I started playing for fun and I am tired of giving away my money and I would like to make this hobby profitable. I play online at PokerStars and once a month at my own home game.I have read about these Poker Tools on the forum but I don't know where to start to help me out. I don't want to commit dollars right now unless I know it's going to help me out online.On Pokerstars I have been playing 0.01/0.02 NL cash games and SNG for Micro values. I don't end up winning or coming out on top when I am done for the session.At my Homegame I haven't cashed at all and would like to sometime.I have got some books: Super System 1 & 2, Small Stakes Holdem and some other but they don't seem to help me.I know the fundamentals but I think I am missing something that will help me over the hump to become the winner on the table.Can you give me some advice on how I can make it over the hump.Tks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not trying to rain on your parade but maybe , just maybe , you are one of the players that is destined to be the loser.after 4yrs and you are still on micro tables then i would think you are just going to be one of those players whom everyone is calling a fish , or a donk. poker has to have them in order to sustain itself, consider that your role and be happy you are contributing to the pokercommunity in your own waypost some hand historys in strat and see what weakness is pointed out ,

not trying to rain on your parade but maybe , just maybe , you are one of the players that is destined to be the loser.after 4yrs and you are still on micro tables then i would think you are just going to be one of those players whom everyone is calling a fish , or a donk. poker has to have them in order to sustain itself, consider that your role and be happy you are contributing to the pokercommunity in your own waypost some hand historys in strat and see what weakness is pointed out ,
Well..... I have been on here since 2005 and now I know why I don't post. I was looking for some advice not insults.I have been playing with out any assistance programs I have read about on here. So I don't have any way of posting any hands history.I was looking for some dialog to see if I can figure out my faults. I am not a Fish or a Donk. I know how to play the game but I know I am doing something wrong and I was hoping for some suggestions. Again not insults.
post hands that confuse you in strat, this is too vague to answer. There's no one sentence to plug all your leaks.
As mentioned I have never gone to the point of posting stats. If I was to do this what program would I use? I understand it's very vague in my explaination and it's hard to answer in one sentence.I guess I am looking for guidence and maybe play some Play Money games on PokerStars that you can see how I am playing.Tks.

Not stats, post an actual hand that you feel like you got lost on or didn't play well. We can't just say blanket statements that will make you a winner, but if you start posting hands where you made mistakes or feel like you did, you can learn from those specifics and apply them to your game.I have to say though, it seems like you're not taking full advantage of these boards if you've been here since '05 and aren't familiar with the different stat programs on the market.Go click on NL strat right now and read through every thread. See if it helps.

Not stats, post an actual hand that you feel like you got lost on or didn't play well. We can't just say blanket statements that will make you a winner, but if you start posting hands where you made mistakes or feel like you did, you can learn from those specifics and apply them to your game.I have to say though, it seems like you're not taking full advantage of these boards if you've been here since '05 and aren't familiar with the different stat programs on the market.Go click on NL strat right now and read through every thread. See if it helps.
I have pulled some stats from my last 100 hands on PokerStars. I also have hand history from cash games.100 hands played and saw flop: - 10 times out of 13 while in small blind (77%) - 11 times out of 13 while in big blind (85%) - 21 times out of 74 in other positions (28%) - a total of 42 times out of 100 (42%) Pots won at showdown - 3 out of 11 (27%) Pots won without showdown - 11I have also included at Txt file with my last 50 hands. Some in the cash games and some from tournaments. My game handle was gpineo.Thanks.

50_Hands_History_Cash_Games.txt

Flicked through the hand history quickly, few observations.You play too many hands. Calling raises or even just the blinds with hands like 64 or J8 is rarely right.Keep fairly consistant raise sizes. Before the flop, if you made all your raises pot sized you would do fine.Find yourself a list of hands to play from each position at the table and keep it by you while you play. Most good players play between 15 and 25 percent of hands.

not trying to rain on your parade but maybe , just maybe , you are one of the players that is destined to be the loser.
This is just ridiculous. You aren't destined to be anything. You can always take actions toward a change and OP has started this by making this post. ----------------------------------------------gpineo, just by looking at the first hand from that file I can tell that you have some serious fundamental flaws in your game. Just off the top of my head right nowEither buy in for more than 20-25bb or learn how to shortstackMinraising preflop is usually pretty bad. Especially with KK with a limper in front. We need to get value from our big hands, so let's build a pot nowYou are playing too many poor handsTry isolating limpers instead of limping behindAs pokerinc said, try reading the NL forum and if you have a questions regarding anything in the thread, ask. A lot of the guys here are really smart and don't mind helping others out.
100 hands played and saw flop: - 10 times out of 13 while in small blind (77%) - 11 times out of 13 while in big blind (85%)
This right here is difficult to recover from. You play these hands, and it's not PF that's losing $, it's postflop. Let's say you play K7 suited from the SB. You flop a K and get value-owned post flop by KQ from UTG or K9 from the BB.

Sign up for deucescracked and start with beginner videos. I haven't look over your HH file but from what others have stated it seem like you need to learn the very basics of playing winning poker. If you don't have money for DC try dling and reading this..http://ryanfee.com/From what i've heard there is a lot of good information in there but i have yet to read it through.

Also get pokertracker or holdem manager to keep track of your stats and learn to use a hud. If you sign up for DC they have a discount for HEM and also videos on how to use it i believe.

Hey,this might sound obvious, but even though I had heard it before, not doing it is one of the thing that often made me end up -EV playing the micro stakes. (still playing micro stakes though!).Whenever I was in a hand I would play it "in the moment". For example if I had AJ on a JcAh7s9c2c board.I had been leading out and he had called me down on every steak, then suddenly I face a re-raise on the river.He obviously has me beat pretty much every time, but somehow I would often think "well, I got so many chips inn already.. he might just think I have been bluffing the whole way, and now trying to steal the pot" thus calling. Sometimes it would work out and I would cash in a decent pot, but in the long run you will always loose doing plays like these. Whenever you make a move, try to imagine if the move will pay off in the long run, regardless of how stuck you are at the moment This often involves folding good hands in tough positions.Haven't really read many of your hands, and this might not be a flaw you have trouble with, but it was for sure one of the major flaws I was/is struggling with. I suggest you first try to fix flaws like these, then focus on more advanced plays which might earn you $ faster later.Oh yeah, also important to listen to the good players here. They can help your game a lot.

This is just ridiculous. You aren't destined to be anything. You can always take actions toward a change and OP has started this by making this post. ----------------------------------------------gpineo, just by looking at the first hand from that file I can tell that you have some serious fundamental flaws in your game. Just off the top of my head right nowEither buy in for more than 20-25bb or learn how to shortstackMinraising preflop is usually pretty bad. Especially with KK with a limper in front. We need to get value from our big hands, so let's build a pot nowYou are playing too many poor handsTry isolating limpers instead of limping behindAs pokerinc said, try reading the NL forum and if you have a questions regarding anything in the thread, ask. A lot of the guys here are really smart and don't mind helping others out.
kkot,Thanks for your comments any help right now is appreciated.Ok I get confused here when you talk about buyin for 20-25bb are you talking Big Bets or Big Blinds. So if I am playing 0.01/0.02 so I am confused on how much you mean I should buyin with. Can you explain that concept.The reason I remember for limping in with KK was table play. Anyone that raised didn't get any callers cause they all folded. I was trying to get value and it backfired.I appreciated everyone's help. I am looking forward to using everyone's experience to help me become that better player. I know a lot of people use HUBs etc but I don't really want to put out money right now when I am only losing it. So if I can get my actual fundamentals down and see profit I will go that route of using Odds Calculators etc.Looking for more suggestions and help. I will be looking at the videos suggested by regionX8 and will read more threads on FCP. Any suggestions on particular threads I should be viewing?Thanks for all your help so far from those that have posted meaningful posts.

bb = big blind/sOften used to calculate bet sizes etc, not depending on what stakes you play.Eg: he raised 3 times the BB from early position

BB = big blind/sOften used to calculate bet sizes etc, not depending on what stakes you play.Eg: he raised 3 times the BB from early position
I thought kkot was mentioning a buyin of 20-25bb. So if I am playing 0.01/0.02 and I am not sure if that'sBig Bets or Big Blinds. What would be a good buyin for a micro table of 0.01/0.02?My goal is to increase my level when I reach $150 bucks playing 0.01/0.02. I am at 49 bucks now.Actually what I was trying to do is Daniel's 10 - 100k challenge but it don't work out. I lost the $10.00 before I could get going.So all the help is welcome.

*********** # 28 **************PokerStars Game #25794404810: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2009/03/09 19:55:07 MT [2009/03/09 21:55:07 ET]Table 'Margarita IX' 9-max Seat #5 is the buttonSeat 1: z0kstr ($3.37 in chips) Seat 2: Zveinieks ($1.66 in chips) Seat 3: ku12 ($3.04 in chips) Seat 4: abregu2006 ($2.69 in chips) Seat 5: gpineo ($1.16 in chips) Seat 6: sugoak ($4.66 in chips) Seat 8: rndm ($2.29 in chips) Seat 9: Pure420 ($3.35 in chips) sugoak: posts small blind $0.01rndm: posts big blind $0.02*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to gpineo [Ac Jc]Pure420: folds z0kstr: folds Zveinieks: calls $0.02ku12: folds abregu2006: folds gpineo: calls $0.02sugoak: folds rndm: raises $0.04 to $0.06Zveinieks: folds gpineo: calls $0.04*** FLOP *** [Qs 9s 4d]rndm: bets $0.06Pure420 leaves the tablegpineo: folds Uncalled bet ($0.06) returned to rndmrndm collected $0.15 from potrndm: doesn't show hand *** SUMMARY ***Total pot $0.15 | Rake $0 Board [Qs 9s 4d]Seat 1: z0kstr folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 2: Zveinieks folded before FlopSeat 3: ku12 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 4: abregu2006 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 5: gpineo (button) folded on the FlopSeat 6: sugoak (small blind) folded before FlopSeat 8: rndm (big blind) collected ($0.15)Seat 9: Pure420 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Whywhywhy are you not raising that on the button?? That is a clear and present raise, probably to .08 or .10.The one thing I noticed running through the hand histories was a lack of aggression from you, preflop or postflop. Maybe it was a function of the table you were at, but when a table is playing a certain way, you should play the opposite. Thus, if it's playing prom night virgin tight like that one was, you need to get more aggressive. If it's playing fast and loose, you need to tighten up. Table analysis is as important as analysis of your own play. Did you raise more than once in that whole run there? And it was the minraise with KK? (as said before, badbadbad)One more note.. on the first tournament hand, when you raised AI with 17.5BBs with 22 from the BB.. take your flop there with 5 limpers in front. With 22, you really don't want multiple calls, and you're likely to get them there. Setmine, fold to a bad flop, realize you still have a level to play with.

Typically, bb stands for big blind and BB stands for big bet. If you're asking about NL, you can usually just assume we're talking about blinds. I would recommend buying in for 100bb ($2) as it allows for postflop play so that you can develop your game. Playing with a 20bb stack means all of your money is usually going in preflop or on the flop.------------------------------------------The reason I remember for limping in with KK was table play. Anyone that raised didn't get any callers cause they all folded. I was trying to get value and it backfired.OK, here's where we have to start making adjustments. If the table is folding to open raises too much, what should our automatic adjustment be?Raise more hands from late position. If we often just steal the blinds with an open raise, open up your range. Honestly, at these stakes though, you should just find a new table. There should be a bunch of super soft tables and we will make more money by exploiting the passive players than the nits.

Hey,this might sound obvious, but even though I had heard it before, not doing it is one of the thing that often made me end up -EV playing the micro stakes. (still playing micro stakes though!).Whenever I was in a hand I would play it "in the moment". For example if I had AJ on a JcAh7s9c2c board.I had been leading out and he had called me down on every steak, then suddenly I face a re-raise on the river.He obviously has me beat pretty much every time, but somehow I would often think "well, I got so many chips inn already.. he might just think I have been bluffing the whole way, and now trying to steal the pot" thus calling. Sometimes it would work out and I would cash in a decent pot, but in the long run you will always loose doing plays like these. Whenever you make a move, try to imagine if the move will pay off in the long run, regardless of how stuck you are at the moment This often involves folding good hands in tough positions.
You don't beat the micros by folding in tough positions. You valuebet, and i would snapcall in the example you gave at the micros. If he sucked out on the river so be it but A2 is more likely than clubs IMO.
kkot,Thanks for your comments any help right now is appreciated.Ok I get confused here when you talk about buyin for 20-25bb are you talking Big Bets or Big Blinds. So if I am playing 0.01/0.02 so I am confused on how much you mean I should buyin with. Can you explain that concept.The reason I remember for limping in with KK was table play. Anyone that raised didn't get any callers cause they all folded. I was trying to get value and it backfired.I appreciated everyone's help. I am looking forward to using everyone's experience to help me become that better player. I know a lot of people use HUBs etc but I don't really want to put out money right now when I am only losing it. So if I can get my actual fundamentals down and see profit I will go that route of using Odds Calculators etc.Looking for more suggestions and help. I will be looking at the videos suggested by regionX8 and will read more threads on FCP. Any suggestions on particular threads I should be viewing?Thanks for all your help so far from those that have posted meaningful posts.
Max buyin is $5 on stars @ .01/.02. Buyin for $5As for not putting out money because you are losing it. Pokertracker or HEM is a program. Think of it as an investment to help you become better. You can use it for the rest of your life once you buy it. It really is a must. From the way it sounds is you need the fundamentals down. There is so much information out there (like the 6max guide i linked before) Also sign up for a free account here and watch the beginner videos http://www.pokertrikz.comIf you want to get better at poker you need to put in a LOT of effort. Nobody here can tell you how to win because at this point you are probably playing every hand your dealt incorrectly. Read the 6max guide, watch the free videos at pokertrikz.. take notes about starting hands you should be playing from which positions. Stop limping KK preflop :club: (or any hand)Once you get the basics down and you are playing a less fishy game then start posting hands in the forum (this is why you need pokertracker or HEM so you can go through all the hands you've won/lost and analyze them or post them for others to help you analyze) You can't just post every hand you played for an hour, You need to post hands where you think you may have made a mistake/made a bad call/made a bad raise or bluff. stuff like that.
Typically, bb stands for big blind and BB stands for big bet. If you're asking about NL, you can usually just assume we're talking about blinds. I would recommend buying in for 100bb ($2) as it allows for postflop play so that you can develop your game. Playing with a 20bb stack means all of your money is usually going in preflop or on the flop.------------------------------------------The reason I remember for limping in with KK was table play. Anyone that raised didn't get any callers cause they all folded. I was trying to get value and it backfired.OK, here's where we have to start making adjustments. If the table is folding to open raises too much, what should our automatic adjustment be?Raise more hands from late position. If we often just steal the blinds with an open raise, open up your range. Honestly, at these stakes though, you should just find a new table. There should be a bunch of super soft tables and we will make more money by exploiting the passive players than the nits.
I have been buyin in each table for $5.00 so I will from now just buyin for 2 bucks as suggested.I find that most of the micro value tables that I am playing are either aggressive or just tight. As mentioned by Kendren to do the opposite but I have tried without success. Not sure what's wrong but when I do I seem to come out on the wrong end.I am going to play tonight and make these adjustments. I will then post the HH for viewing after my session of 50 hands tonight.I normally only play one table so I can concentrate on reading the table and reading the board. I am trying to figure out what possible hand are the nuts etc. With the betting patterns which I am still learning how to sniff out I try to figure out if my hand has value or should I dump it. But from what everyone has been saying I still have a long way to go with fundamentals of the game.If that's the case where should I start? If I have to go back to the beginning to make myself a better player I will. I have a hand value sheet that I have put away but I will bring that out again also.To be honest. I am at work thinking about poker and what I did the night before wondering why I lost more money.Wanting to improve.
You don't beat the micros by folding in tough positions. You valuebet, and i would snapcall in the example you gave at the micros. If he sucked out on the river so be it but A2 is more likely than clubs IMO.
Probably a bad example (the river bet is often a shove), but tbh I think many micro tables are surprisingly tight compared to what you'd expect.Few bluffers, small pots, unless you hit a goldmine off course.I will stop posting now, I'm probably not in the position to teach away anything yet :club: GL OP
You don't beat the micros by folding in tough positions. You valuebet, and i would snapcall in the example you gave at the micros. If he sucked out on the river so be it but A2 is more likely than clubs IMO.Max buyin is $5 on stars @ .01/.02. Buyin for $5As for not putting out money because you are losing it. Pokertracker or HEM is a program. Think of it as an investment to help you become better. You can use it for the rest of your life once you buy it. It really is a must. From the way it sounds is you need the fundamentals down. There is so much information out there (like the 6max guide i linked before) Also sign up for a free account here and watch the beginner videos http://www.pokertrikz.comIf you want to get better at poker you need to put in a LOT of effort. Nobody here can tell you how to win because at this point you are probably playing every hand your dealt incorrectly. Read the 6max guide, watch the free videos at pokertrikz.. take notes about starting hands you should be playing from which positions. Stop limping KK preflop :club: (or any hand)Once you get the basics down and you are playing a less fishy game then start posting hands in the forum (this is why you need pokertracker or HEM so you can go through all the hands you've won/lost and analyze them or post them for others to help you analyze) You can't just post every hand you played for an hour, You need to post hands where you think you may have made a mistake/made a bad call/made a bad raise or bluff. stuff like that.
The reason I posted all those 50 hands is at this time I have no clue where I am going wrong. I would like to purchase Pokertracker or HEM but I am not sure from the sites if and what they do. I have heard they are actually cheating tools is that true? If I was making hundreds a day playing poker it might be something I would think about. But at this time I am losing more then I am putting in. I wish there was a way to trial it and see if it does help my game and then purchase. I have also seen that it's a year membership for some. Your saying they are one time purchases?But back to my improving of my game. I will take your suggestions and look over them tonight and become members at those sites.
http://www.pokertracker.com/http://www.holdemmanager.net/They are not cheating tools. There is no fee other than the initial purchase and both have free trials.
If I was to do the trial on Pokertracker does that also have a hub or do I have to get another applications like PokerAce Hub?
If I was to do the trial on Pokertracker does that also have a hub or do I have to get another applications like PokerAce Hub?
Pokertracker comes with PokerAce hud built in.