Rush never does this:http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/sit...5106.guest.html An open invitation to debate Obama. Now, most of you don't listen, I do when I am running errands, and you should hear his show today. It's perfect- his basic point is you have made me the defacto Republican leader, so let's debate, leader to leader. I will pay all expenses, you can bring cameras, all you have to do is show. Now, Rush does not do this, he does not give time to Dem leaders, and what he is saying is this is the ultimate display of fairness and you don't even have to make me. I give you the largest program in America to debate your ideas for free, complete open debate. I don't think it will ever happen, but it will be interesting to see what the Obama teams response is to this. I don't think they can come out looking anything but weak if they shy away from the Republican leader.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The link didn't work for me, but I would imagine Obama's response will be what the Republican's attitude should be: "He's an entertainer, I don't really care what he thinks. I'll have my debates in the appropriate forums in Washington DC, not on a shock radio show."

The link didn't work for me, but I would imagine Obama's response will be what the Republican's attitude should be: "He's an entertainer, I don't really care what he thinks. I'll have my debates in the appropriate forums in Washington DC, not on a shock radio show."
Except his team has gone out of it's way to make him the face of the Republican party. That's an issue they won't be able to escape.
Except his team has gone out of it's way to make him the face of the Republican party. That's an issue they won't be able to escape.
They didnt make him the face. he is the face. how many GOP politicians have had to apologize for criticizing him? Obama's team has just exploited the scenario---Rush makes for great radio but his comments leave Repulican politicians vulnerable. Rush filled the void.....he was the headliner at the CPAC. I think both sides (in different ways) have made him the face. Michael Steele did such a fast 180 on Rush that I am surprised he did not break an ankle.They'll escape it easily. Simple solution: Make it know that they think Rush is the face of the GOP.....but that they think that fact is a sad, sad commentary and wont dignify his overtures. I mean the sitting president debating a radio host? Puh-leeze. Just another (smart) attention grab by Rush.....who is smart enough to know that this would never happen in a billion years. Did Bush go on Air America to debate Al Franken? Of course not and I would not expect him to have done so. This is just a stunt. If Rush wants to debate Obama, then he should run for office (like Franken did). otherwise, be content with the extra attention and enjoy being even richer than before.
They didnt make him the face. he is the face. how many GOP politicians have had to apologize for criticizing him? Obama's team has just exploited the scenario---Rush makes for great radio but his comments leave Repulican politicians vulnerable. Rush filled the void.....he was the headliner at the CPAC. I think both sides (in different ways) have made him the face. Michael Steele did such a fast 180 on Rush that I am surprised he did not break an ankle.They'll escape it easily. Simple solution: Make it know that they think Rush is the face of the GOP.....but that they think that fact is a sad, sad commentary and wont dignify his overtures. I mean the sitting president debating a radio host? Puh-leeze. Just another (smart) attention grab by Rush.....who is smart enough to know that this would never happen in a billion years. Did Bush go on Air America to debate Al Franken? Of course not and I would not expect him to have done so. This is just a stunt. If Rush wants to debate Obama, then he should run for office (like Franken did). otherwise, be content with the extra attention and enjoy being even richer than before.
It's not that easy. If you then say,"I believe that Rush is the face, he is the guy, but thats sad, and we won't do it" you make it clear to one and all that bi-partisanship is not your goal and never has been, you make it clear that your ideas are not up for debate and you are not listening to anyone, least of all Republicans. You miss the point. He is not a radio host by there own calculation, he is the face of the Republican party, and if they back off of that and take your line of thinking they look as we already know they are- like they cannot defend a position. Of course it's not going to happen, my point is it should happen. What's the harm? Why the Puh-leeze? What's Obama got to lose? He would be taking part in an unprecedented gesture of fairness on Conservative talk radio, and be a part of what would easily be the most watched debate in the history of man. He could once and for all beat down conservative ideology. Except- and this, of course, you know is the truth, we all do- he can't win. So far, his policies by and large are indefensible.
It's not that easy. If you then say,"I believe that Rush is the face, he is the guy, but thats sad, and we won't do it" you make it clear to one and all that bi-partisanship is not your goal and never has been, you make it clear that your ideas are not up for debate and you are not listening to anyone, least of all Republicans. You miss the point. He is not a radio host by there own calculation, he is the face of the Republican party, and if they back off of that and take your line of thinking they look as we already know they are- like they cannot defend a position. Of course it's not going to happen, my point is it should happen. What's the harm? Why the Puh-leeze? What's Obama got to lose? He would be taking part in an unprecedented gesture of fairness on Conservative talk radio, and be a part of what would easily be the most watched debate in the history of man. He could once and for all beat down conservative ideology. Except- and this, of course, you know is the truth, we all do- he can't win. So far, his policies by and large are indefensible.
The harm is the President should not be taking time to have debates with radio hosts. It demeans the position, imo. I really dont think you can claim Obama's bi-partisan overtures are meaningless because he wont debate a man who is on the record recently as saying that his idea of bi-partisanship is "making them agree with us after we politically clean their clock."Why would this be fairness for Obama? Meeting on Rush's turf? Wouldnt a neutral venue be more fair?''Again, you miss the point. By the Dems calculation, Rush IS a radio host. They merely are pointing out on a daily basis that the GOP is so sad right now that the de facto head of the party is a radio host. The two are not mutually exclusive. It isnt backing off; it's pointing out how far the GOP has fallen when the RNC chairman has to publicly beg for forgiveness to Rush after saying things that are true. (Rush is just an entertainer and his comments are incendiary on purpose by his own admission).Giving Rush the time of day would be the opposite of what the Obama admin is trying to achieve in all this. Like Rush, they are just highlighting the absurdity (in this case----the hilarity of watching GOP headliners kowtow to a guy who said things recently that are too politically toxic for a politician to go anywhere near).Also, Rush needs to stop whining. Great, you are just being honest. except when Democrats were just honest about how they felt about Bush and the GOP from 2000-2006 he raked them over the coals. Consistency, one time?
The harm is the President should not be taking time to have debates with radio hosts without preconditions. It demeans the position, imo. I really dont think you can claim Obama's bi-partisan overtures are meaningless because he wont debate a man who is on the record recently as saying that his idea of bi-partisanship is "making them agree with us after we politically clean their clock."Why would this be fairness for Obama? Meeting on Rush's turf? Wouldnt a neutral venue be more fair?''Again, you miss the point. By the Dems calculation, Rush IS a radio host. They merely are pointing out on a daily basis that the GOP is so sad right now that the de facto head of the party is a radio host. The two are not mutually exclusive. It isnt backing off; it's pointing out how far the GOP has fallen when the RNC chairman has to publicly beg for forgiveness to Rush after saying things that are true. (Rush is just an entertainer and his comments are incendiary on purpose by his own admission).Giving Rush the time of day would be the opposite of what the Obama admin is trying to achieve in all this. Like Rush, they are just highlighting the absurdity (in this case----the hilarity of watching GOP headliners kowtow to a guy who said things recently that are too politically toxic for a politician to go anywhere near).Also, Rush needs to stop whining. Great, you are just being honest. except when Democrats were just honest about how they felt about Bush and the GOP from 2000-2006 he raked them over the coals. Consistency, one time?
FYP
The harm is the President should not be taking time to have debates with radio hosts. It demeans the position, imo. I really dont think you can claim Obama's bi-partisan overtures are meaningless because he wont debate a man who is on the record recently as saying that his idea of bi-partisanship is "making them agree with us after we politically clean their clock."Why would this be fairness for Obama? Meeting on Rush's turf? Wouldnt a neutral venue be more fair?''Again, you miss the point. By the Dems calculation, Rush IS a radio host. They merely are pointing out on a daily basis that the GOP is so sad right now that the de facto head of the party is a radio host. The two are not mutually exclusive. It isnt backing off; it's pointing out how far the GOP has fallen when the RNC chairman has to publicly beg for forgiveness to Rush after saying things that are true. (Rush is just an entertainer and his comments are incendiary on purpose by his own admission).Giving Rush the time of day would be the opposite of what the Obama admin is trying to achieve in all this. Like Rush, they are just highlighting the absurdity (in this case----the hilarity of watching GOP headliners kowtow to a guy who said things recently that are too politically toxic for a politician to go anywhere near).Also, Rush needs to stop whining. Great, you are just being honest. except when Democrats were just honest about how they felt about Bush and the GOP from 2000-2006 he raked them over the coals. Consistency, one time?
That's actually not true. There was quite a bit about the Bush administration and the past 6 or so years that Rush was vocally against, but you would have to listen to the show to know that. It very obviously cannot be on Obamas terms,and the reason is simple- Obama or the venue cannot be allowed to control the content like, I don't know, almost every debate we saw. Listening to the show today plenty of liberals called in and you know what they were worried about? Just that the location wasn't advantageous to Obama. Wtf is that? He is the supposed greatest speaker ever, if they debated in a mud hut in there underwear he should still come out looking rosy, right? Wrong, because when it comes to the issues Rush kills him, absolutely slays him, and the funny thing is not one response so far has denied that, just this B.S. that somehow it's beneath him. Really? He who is still campaigning after winning? He who pals with the homeless offering homes and kitchens? He who has a photo op drinking a beer at a Wizards game? He's the everyman, just like you and me, right? The truth is he asked for this,he is the one who called out Rush when he said that Rushs ideas were old and failed, or was that just talk? Of course it was, the man would get slaughtered.

if rush really wants to do this for genuine reasons, he should run for office. if not, he should stick to yelling nonsense into a microphone.if you start arguing that the president should openly debate any and all challengers if they're popular enough, that's going to turn politics into even more of a show than it already is, and i doubt that anyone would argue that such a move would be in the country's interest. i would have gladly debated bush myself, or had clinton, barney frank, whoever do it, but i don't think that it would have been in anyone's interest to do so beyond garnering a little more camera time.

That's actually not true. There was quite a bit about the Bush administration and the past 6 or so years that Rush was vocally against, but you would have to listen to the show to know that. It very obviously cannot be on Obamas terms,and the reason is simple- Obama or the venue cannot be allowed to control the content like, I don't know, almost every debate we saw. Listening to the show today plenty of liberals called in and you know what they were worried about? Just that the location wasn't advantageous to Obama. Wtf is that? He is the supposed greatest speaker ever, if they debated in a mud hut in there underwear he should still come out looking rosy, right? Wrong, because when it comes to the issues Rush kills him, absolutely slays him, and the funny thing is not one response so far has denied that, just this B.S. that somehow it's beneath him. Really? He who is still campaigning after winning? He who pals with the homeless offering homes and kitchens? He who has a photo op drinking a beer at a Wizards game? He's the everyman, just like you and me, right? The truth is he asked for this,he is the one who called out Rush when he said that Rushs ideas were old and failed, or was that just talk? Of course it was, the man would get slaughtered.
I know Rush fought some things Bush did (most notably his immigration plan that failed). He still raked Dems over the coals for lots of things they said negatively about Bush. You dont have to agree with Bush all the time to still be able to crap on his detractors.I will deny it for the record. I think Obama would do fine. Everyone "thought" Bill O'Reilly would kill him and he didnt. At best it was a draw. Obama never loses his cool and would do fine with Rush I am sure. I dont think Obama would kill him; but I find the notion that Rush would just destroy one of the best/smoothest politicians in years to be laughable so I didnt comment on it before. Just know (since I didnt say it before I guess) that I think your contention that Rush would wipe the floor with Obama in a debate is 100% inaccurate and shows that you just agree with what Rush has to say.Going to a Wizards game is being a human. It has nothing to do with this. Debating a radio host is beneath the office of the Presidency....especially a radio host who is more about being outrageous than being serious. Obama said the policies of Republicans were old and failed, not Rush's. If Rush wants to debate Rahm Emanuel, that I could get behind. Emanuel is the one orchestrating the Limbaugh stuff (and its working----you should be able to see that----the RNC should not be stuck backtracking and hemming and hawing about a radio host) not Obama. Barack has lots and lots of more important stuff to do. Iran, Afghanistan, the economy, etc.If Rush wants a debate, run for office like Checky said.Also, Obama controlled the debates? lol. This is just sad. Those debates were perfectly fair. BG told me the GOP would handle losing the election with class. So far, "class" = complaining about the mainstream media non-stop, John Bolton suggesting that it would be fitting if Obama's policies led to Chicago being the victim of a terrorist attack, Rush openly hoping Obama fails, etc. The best thing about the GOP right now is that mutant 9 year old who wrote a book about conservatism. At least he had something of substance to say instead of just taking shots at Obama his whole speech.
The best thing about the GOP right now is that mutant 9 year old who wrote a book about conservatism. At least he had something of substance to say instead of just taking shots at Obama his whole speech.
i wasn't aware that christopher buckley was reincarnated. do you have a link?
That's actually not true. There was quite a bit about the Bush administration and the past 6 or so years that Rush was vocally against, but you would have to listen to the show to know that.
Rush was WAY more against Bush's policies than he was for them. Cane is obviously not a listener.

Actually I agree that this should be something that happens. All you that are saying that the president shouldn't have to because Rush is a talk show host is rediculous. It could be any one of us calling him out and I would say that the president should have to answer. he should have to answer to the american people! We elected this guy so we should be able to say that he needs to debate. All the "work" that he is doing is going against the AMERICAN way. Free market should not have anything to do with governement. People need to stand up and pick themselves up by their own bootstraps and get this country back to itself once again.Of course, this will never happen though. What we need is a revolution! A revolution of a strong third party that can electrify minds with policies that the PEOPLE want. We the PEOPLE of the United States!

Actually I agree that this should be something that happens. All you that are saying that the president shouldn't have to because Rush is a talk show host is rediculous. It could be any one of us calling him out and I would say that the president should have to answer. he should have to answer to the american people! We elected this guy so we should be able to say that he needs to debate. All the "work" that he is doing is going against the AMERICAN way. Free market should not have anything to do with governement. People need to stand up and pick themselves up by their own bootstraps and get this country back to itself once again.Of course, this will never happen though. What we need is a revolution! A revolution of a strong third party that can electrify minds with policies that the PEOPLE want. We the PEOPLE of the United States!
i'm not one for slippery slope arguments, generally, but it's abundantly clear here that setting this kind of precedent would be pretty fucking stupid.if anyone could call out the president for a debate, s/he wouldn't have time to breathe, much less run a country. and yes, i would have said the same thing about bush.

Rush wouldn't run for office. He wouldn't want the pay cut. Plus then he'd have to come up with a program of substance of his own and I doubt he's capable of doing so. Easy to be a critic.

i wasn't aware that christopher buckley was reincarnated. do you have a link?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/27/j...l_n_170642.htmlOf course, he thinks Palin would be a good choice to run 2012 so there's room for his brain to grow.another link from a conservative site: http://www.freedomslighthouse.com/2009/02/...-wows-cpac.htmlsadly, this kid is better at explaining and detailing a conservative agenda than anyone else on board with the GOP.
Rush wouldn't run for office. He wouldn't want the pay cut. Plus then he'd have to come up with a program of substance of his own and I doubt he's capable of doing so. Easy to be a critic.
No. Rush doesn't want the strings that come with politics, doesn't like having to scratch backs. As far as substance...sigh. How many listeners? Both Democratic and Republican? But, yeah, no substance. No message whatsoever.
No. Rush doesn't want the strings that come with politics, doesn't like having to scratch backs. As far as substance...sigh. How many listeners? Both Democratic and Republican? But, yeah, no substance. No message whatsoever.
Lots of people listen to Elvis Duran and the zoo. Millions of people. And that show has zero substance. Ratings does not = message/substance. And Nimue did not say Rush had no message; Nimue said that he would have to makes his own programs instead of deciding whose programs are good and whose are bad.
Lots of people listen to Elvis Duran and the zoo. Millions of people. And that show has zero substance. Ratings does not = message/substance. And Nimue did not say Rush had no message; Nimue said that he would have to makes his own programs instead of deciding whose programs are good and whose are bad.
Thanks Cane, now I don't have to explain it myself :club:.
Even if he were the actual leader of the republican party why would Obama have a debate with him? Obama had debates with the republicans throughout the election, and they lost.
even if he won a debate with Rush, the conservatives would demand a town hall debate instead. Thats a real debate; that's why McCain did so well in the town hall. :)seriously, this is a thread obviously devoid of practicality (even LMD admits that). this is a hypothetical....both sides know it would never happen.