2009 San Francisco Giants Thread

now, look here patrick. I like Manny. You know where you stand with Manny and you know what you get. Both him and Bonds gave the effort they wanted to give. But Manny is still no Bonds as good as he is.
What JJJ said; no question Barry is the superior player/hitter, but to say he always played hard was incorrect.
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're missing the big picture here.If not for the playoff hunt, Sabes would have been gone after this year. Now he will probably get a nice long term renewal. Best thing to happen to the other NL West teams imo.

We're missing the big picture here.If not for the playoff hunt, Sabes would have been gone after this year. Now he will probably get a nice long term renewal. Best thing to happen to the other NL West teams imo.
Heh, he's def trying to do everything he can to look productive enough to keep, that's for sure. Personally I think the Giants would be better off with a different coaching staff as well, but after this year I doubt anything will change. They will maybe get rid of Lansford but I can't see them replacing anyone else unless they completely tank.
Could you specify what you're talking about exactly? What was the Boston fiasco as it pertains to between the lines?
Forgive Tom, he not much into facts...a. Manny OPS'd something incredibly good his last few weeks in Boston before the trade.**** I'm sure Tom is stuck on that dp ball he didn't run out though. Being known as one of the players who spends the most time on preparation and film study is also pointless I guess, as is the way our younger hitters benefited from seeing how serious he took hitting.b. Lol at Barry 'giving it his best effort' every time he took the field. Honestly? Barry was known to half ass his way down the line just as often as Manny has, and most Giants fans defended him by saying they wouldn't want him to hurt himself anyway. Now somehow Barry has turned into a Charlie Hustle type?Lol, I am halfway convinced Tom is not real and is a very clever fake account sent here to confound us baseball fans. I have a hard time believing someone could actually watch the game through such orange and black tinted glasses (other than Mike Krukow that is).**** His numbers in July prior to the trade: 75 at-bats, 26 hits, four homers, 16 RBI, a .473 on-base percentage and a 1.060 OPS.....How dare he quit on them like that!!!!!
If my memory serves me, I believe there was some controversy about him sitting out because of an injury when some people believed he could have been playing. When manny was putting up those numbers in his last month in boston, he had already played himself out of town. He didn't want to be there and he forced the Red Sox to make a deal where they had to get 50 cents on the dollar for him while picking up some or all of his contract. As a fan, stuff like that pisses me off because it affects the present and future prospects for a team. Imagine if he had done it to a smaller market team...it would cost that team years of rebuilding.

One more thing for now...I took a shot at PMJackson because of what he said about Bonds being a player who thought he was above the team. I disagree with that assessment and I thought it was rather hypocritical especially considering his love for Manny. Unlike Ramirez, Bonds gave consistent effort, played hurt, and never forced himself off a team. I hope that clears up my original statement...I realize that the "giving his best effort" line is meaningless....sometimes what i mean to say and what i type are two very different things.

One more thing for now...I took a shot at PMJackson because of what he said about Bonds being a player who thought he was above the team. I disagree with that assessment and I thought it was rather hypocritical especially considering his love for Manny. Unlike Ramirez, Bonds gave consistent effort, played hurt, and never forced himself off a team. I hope that clears up my original statement...I realize that the "giving his best effort" line is meaningless....sometimes what i mean to say and what i type are two very different things.
You took a shot at me? I didn't even notice lol.I don't love Manny by any means. I think he is a great hitter, but he is a proven cheater and he isn't producing too much now. If you watched a Dodgers game with me, you wouldn't hear me saying many nice things about him lately. Even if he starts hitting well, I'll never forgive him for tainting what could have been a great year. Not to say they can't pull off some magic and win the WS, but even if they do, the whole steroids thing will take something away from the accomplishment. I'm pretty much down to Ethier, Kemp, Wolf, and Kershaw as Dodgers I don't ridicule, and Kershaw only gets a pass because he is young.I still disagree with you when you say Barry gave a consistent effort; he took his ABs seriously and would become a better baserunner when it mattered, but he also didn't run out perceived easy outs and didn't always give his best effort in LF. So in other words, much like Manny. As for never forcing himself off a team, don't you think that is exactly what he did with the Giants? Except, where Manny wanted to leave Boston***, Barry wanted to keep playing but they didn't want him. ***I also don't really agree with your assessment of Manny's departure from Boston; this Bill Simmons article does the subject more justice then I ever could (ignore the never did steroids parts though :club: ) : http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=manny
You took a shot at me? I didn't even notice lol.I don't love Manny by any means. I think he is a great hitter, but he is a proven cheater and he isn't producing too much now. If you watched a Dodgers game with me, you wouldn't hear me saying many nice things about him lately. Even if he starts hitting well, I'll never forgive him for tainting what could have been a great year. Not to say they can't pull off some magic and win the WS, but even if they do, the whole steroids thing will take something away from the accomplishment. I'm pretty much down to Ethier, Kemp, Wolf, and Kershaw as Dodgers I don't ridicule, and Kershaw only gets a pass because he is young.I still disagree with you when you say Barry gave a consistent effort; he took his ABs seriously and would become a better baserunner when it mattered, but he also didn't run out perceived easy outs and didn't always give his best effort in LF. So in other words, much like Manny. As for never forcing himself off a team, don't you think that is exactly what he did with the Giants? Except, where Manny wanted to leave Boston***, Barry wanted to keep playing but they didn't want him. ***I also don't really agree with your assessment of Manny's departure from Boston; this Bill Simmons article does the subject more justice then I ever could (ignore the never did steroids parts though :club: ) : http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=manny
I'm a long time Bill Simmons reader and i think i read this article once upon a time. Rereading it makes me hate manny a little less and hate boras even more. seriously, that guy is the devil, tho it doesn't excuse manny because he hired him.
Sorry to disagree, but in the second half of Bonds career, he never gave it his all on a ground ball or double play ball. I cant count how many times I saw him jogging nonchalant to second when he could of easily been trying to break it up.
Brad Penny has been picked up by the Giants.Good move I think...he should pitch a lot better in the N.L. and be a decent 5th starter.
Another note: Buster Posey got called up today....does that mean his arbitration clock starts now? If so, is there any way he is NOT the starting catcher next year?

I would never say Penny was a "great" move, but I think it was a good move. Unless you really follow the Giants, you don't understand how bad that #5 spot was this year in the rotation. His one game he pitched tonight could make him worth it compared to our other outings in the #5 spot. Our glaring weakness is, of course, our offense though and I just don't understand why we didn't make a move to get a big bat. Hell, Thome would have been better than Sanchez and Garko, imo! I don't mind our acquisitions, but I really wish we would have gone out and got that big bat. It's really nice to be in the playoff race this late, but when your best hope (other than Sandoval) to hit a bomb is a 40 year old Molina, I'm afraid we have problems. COME ON LINCECUM, CAIN, ZITO, SANCHEZ, AND PENNY! GIVE UP 0 RUNS THE REST OF THE YEAR AND WE'RE IN!

I would never say Penny was a "great" move, but I think it was a good move. Unless you really follow the Giants, you don't understand how bad that #5 spot was this year in the rotation. His one game he pitched tonight could make him worth it compared to our other outings in the #5 spot. Our glaring weakness is, of course, our offense though and I just don't understand why we didn't make a move to get a big bat. Hell, Thome would have been better than Sanchez and Garko, imo! I don't mind our acquisitions, but I really wish we would have gone out and got that big bat. It's really nice to be in the playoff race this late, but when your best hope (other than Sandoval) to hit a bomb is a 40 year old Molina, I'm afraid we have problems. COME ON LINCECUM, CAIN, ZITO, SANCHEZ, AND PENNY! GIVE UP 0 RUNS THE REST OF THE YEAR AND WE'RE IN!
What team doesn't have issues with it's 5th starter? Not many, if any. Most teams struggle to field 4 quality starting pitchers, let alone 5. It's just more obvious with you guys because the Giants other 4 each have had good to great years (well, Sanchez is pretty inconsistent), so the 5th starter woes look even worse then they are. No team gets 162 quality starts a year. :)He's an upgrade though for sure. I just don't think their playoff chances hinge on getting a little more production out of the 5th starter spot. (Which you seem to agree with)

You're right PMJackson. I agree with you that a 5th starter is not what's going to do it for us, but it doesn't hurt to upgrade that spot if you have the chance. I think the main thing that most people here (giant fan or not) agree with is that the Penny move was ok, but it didn't address our most pressing needs.

You're right PMJackson. I agree with you that a 5th starter is not what's going to do it for us, but it doesn't hurt to upgrade that spot if you have the chance. I think the main thing that most people here (giant fan or not) agree with is that the Penny move was ok, but it didn't address our most pressing needs.
Yup, as a quasi-Giants fan (I probably watch 90% of their games being a huge baseball fan in the Bay Area), I agree with you. Every move Sabean has made has made it a little bit better, the question will be if it's enough.
Yup, as a quasi-Giants fan (I probably watch 90% of their games being a huge baseball fan in the Bay Area), I agree with you. Every move Sabean has made has made it a little bit better, the question will be if it's enough.
let's all hope the Rockies stop winning. Trying to take advantage of a Nats/Mets/Nats stretch here....
The Reds gave me false hope when they had a 3-1 lead today...Damn those Rockies
I'm pretty sure the only teams that beat the Rockies are the Giants and the Dodgers. IIRC, they do have a series coming up vs STL but I think it is at COL so they'll probably take 2/3.Side note, if the Giants have any sort of memory at all, Prince Fielder will get hit in the first series next year for that little stunt after his walk off. As much as I enjoy watching people show up the Giants, we really don't need endzone celebrations in baseball.
I'm pretty sure the only teams that beat the Rockies are the Giants and the Dodgers. IIRC, they do have a series coming up vs STL but I think it is at COL so they'll probably take 2/3.Side note, if the Giants have any sort of memory at all, Prince Fielder will get hit in the first series next year for that little stunt after his walk off. As much as I enjoy watching people show up the Giants, we really don't need endzone celebrations in baseball.
I thought the same thing. I hope Cain or Lincecum puts a fastball in his ear hole, that fat phuck.
I thought the same thing. I hope Cain or Lincecum puts a fastball in his ear hole, that fat phuck.
Bumgarner taking Lincecum's start tonight because TL is having back issues. I'm looking forward to seeing Bumgarner pitch but the TL injury issue might be something to be concerned about for you Giants fans. Back problems for a guy that puts that much torque into his delivery are not easy to deal with it, a lot like back issues for a golfer. Plus he had lost some velocity over his last few starts...Or they just want him to pitch vs the Dodgers. If they start him Fri, then he would also be available to start the finale in the Rockies series.As for Bumgarner, even if he does well I'm not sure I would bring him up this early if I was the GM. I wasn't a big fan of the Dodgers rushing Kershaw though either. I wanted to see him pitch, but I didn't think it was the best long term decision for him.
Bumgarner taking Lincecum's start tonight because TL is having back issues. I'm looking forward to seeing Bumgarner pitch but the TL injury issue might be something to be concerned about for you Giants fans. Back problems for a guy that puts that much torque into his delivery are not easy to deal with it, a lot like back issues for a golfer. Plus he had lost some velocity over his last few starts...Or they just want him to pitch vs the Dodgers. If they start him Fri, then he would also be available to start the finale in the Rockies series.As for Bumgarner, even if he does well I'm not sure I would bring him up this early if I was the GM. I wasn't a big fan of the Dodgers rushing Kershaw though either. I wanted to see him pitch, but I didn't think it was the best long term decision for him.
baaaaaaaaaaah that's not news I want to hear. +1 on Lincecum's back being a concern and +111 on bringing up Bumgarner too early. I reallllllllly don't want him to be rushed. CK seems to be pitching well this season though. So meh, only time will tell. :club:
Side note, if the Giants have any sort of memory at all, Prince Fielder will get hit in the first series next year for that little stunt after his walk off. As much as I enjoy watching people show up the Giants, we really don't need endzone celebrations in baseball.
See I have hard time agreeing with you guys on this one. I don't understand why it's ok for pitcher's to do it (i.e. K-Rod and Brian Wilson, even my boy Dennis Eckersley back in the day with the finger point), but it's not ok for hitters to "endzone dance." If we draw the line for hitters, then we have to draw it for pitcher's as well. The only difference is, pitcher's have a weapon if they get pissed off after being shown up...batter's don't.With that being said, Fielder did cross the line...but he's a jackass as it is.
See I have hard time agreeing with you guys on this one. I don't understand why it's ok for pitcher's to do it (i.e. K-Rod and Brian Wilson, even my boy Dennis Eckersley back in the day with the finger point), but it's not ok for hitters to "endzone dance." If we draw the line for hitters, then we have to draw it for pitcher's as well. The only difference is, pitcher's have a weapon if they get pissed off after being shown up...batter's don't.With that being said, Fielder did cross the line...but he's a jackass as it is.
it's simple, the unknown rules and codes of baseball. I have no idea why they are going to do it, probably just from a standpoint of don't taunt us like that. Bleh, I hate him anyways and I would of loved to see him get drilled, even if he didn't fat around.