2009 San Francisco Giants Thread

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you ever post after losses? just curious.
were you just curious or were you trying to make a not so subtle point? I post whenever I feel like it. Maybe that is more after wins, maybe more after losses...i dont understand why it matters. I think now that the Giants are only two games back again you can definitely say that they are still in the playoff hunt. Call me crazy but ive always heard that good pitching and clutch hitting wins ballgames. :club:
were you just curious or were you trying to make a not so subtle point? I post whenever I feel like it. Maybe that is more after wins, maybe more after losses...i dont understand why it matters. I think now that the Giants are only two games back again you can definitely say that they are still in the playoff hunt. Call me crazy but ive always heard that good pitching and clutch hitting wins ballgames. :jh
I wasn't necessarily trying to be subtle. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pick a fight, you're actually starting to grow on me a little...but don't let it go to your head. I'm just saying that all you seem to do is post these guys :5c:ts:club::qh:3h:4h after wins, but you don't show up after 11-0 losses to the D-bags. And yes, clutch hitting will win you ball games, however the Giants don't do it nearly enough to be a playoff team...just ask Barry Zito.
I wasn't necessarily trying to be subtle. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pick a fight, you're actually starting to grow on me a little...but don't let it go to your head. I'm just saying that all you seem to do is post these guys :5c:ts:club::qh:3h:4h after wins, but you don't show up after 11-0 losses to the D-bags. And yes, clutch hitting will win you ball games, however the Giants don't do it nearly enough to be a playoff team...just ask Barry Zito.
He pitched pretty well tonight. Not to mention he has a 1.80 ERA in his last eight starts.If the Giants can continue to play good, solid baseball, we could be a serious threat in the playoffs thanks to our pitching staff. (That's if we make the playoffs.)
He pitched pretty well tonight. Not to mention he has a 1.80 ERA in his last eight starts.If the Giants can continue to play good, solid baseball, we could be a serious threat in the playoffs thanks to our pitching staff. (That's if we make the playoffs.)
My point wasn't that he's not pitching well. My point was that the Giants don't get those clutch hits with Z on the mound. I'm sure he's having flashbacks of Oakland.And going into this weekend I would've said that there's no way they can make the playoffs, much less be any kind of threat. This weekend's series however, makes me think they do still have a legitimate shot. They just need to stay consistent, and they haven't been able to do so all year.

I will admit, I had felt it was over even though it was only 4 games after that horrible loss to the Rocks in extras. Fortunately, we got to see the D-Backs for 3 games (barely won 2) and then put together a great full series for once against the Rockies. It's nice to be back in it, but we have a ways to go. I'm not sold on the bullpen or our offense just yet...but I'll take a tie for the wild card lead this late in the season any day!

Brad Penny has been picked up by the Giants.Good move I think...he should pitch a lot better in the N.L. and be a decent 5th starter.
Penny is a dbag but he probably should be a minor to moderate upgrade over Martinez. Not sure why Sabean is focused on upgrading his 5th starter when there are more glaring needs though.My fav commentary on Penny via Larry Bowa this spring:"Is this the same Penny that never went to meetings, that came late, left early, was never in shape, always had an excuse when things didn't go right, didn't help the young kids at all? Coaches get on players when they're lazy and don't work. I think he should worry about getting hitters out in the American League East and not worry about me."
Penny is a dbag but he probably should be a minor to moderate upgrade over Martinez. Not sure why Sabean is focused on upgrading his 5th starter when there are more glaring needs though.My fav commentary on Penny via Larry Bowa this spring:"Is this the same Penny that never went to meetings, that came late, left early, was never in shape, always had an excuse when things didn't go right, didn't help the young kids at all? Coaches get on players when they're lazy and don't work. I think he should worry about getting hitters out in the American League East and not worry about me."
<3 Larry Bowa
The fact that dodger fans hate him puts one in the plus column for me. I'm not really concerned about the work ethic issues because he is just a rental player...if it doesn't work out its not that big of a deal.
no. I want a player with a strong work ethic that will make the Giants a better team.
bradpennyjpg.jpegI have a crazy feeling that Brad Penny and Brian Wilson are gonna get along just fine.
LOL a big +1 on that.
no. I want a player with a strong work ethic that will make the Giants a better team.
Are you sure you don't want to go back to the days where one player thought he was bigger than the team?I'm pretty sure Sabean could sign some random guy off the streets and Tom would love the move. You have to admire someone with such blind loyalty to a team.
Are you sure you don't want to go back to the days where one player thought he was bigger than the team?I'm pretty sure Sabean could sign some random guy off the streets and Tom would love the move. You have to admire someone with such blind loyalty to a team.
I'm very sure. :club: I can't help but love Bonds because I grew up watching him play. But, his attitude and roid use lead to many distractions that really, really hurt the Giants as a team. You already know that though. :PAnd Tom, please stop making Giants fans look stupid. This isn't a good move, just like the Freddy Sanchez trade. asdflkjhasdfjkhsad sabean.
I'm very sure. :club: I can't help but love Bonds because I grew up watching him play. But, his attitude and roid use lead to many distractions that really, really hurt the Giants as a team. You already know that though. :PAnd Tom, please stop making Giants fans look stupid. This isn't a good move, just like the Freddy Sanchez trade. asdflkjhasdfjkhsad sabean.
All i can say is wow. Usually, what you say makes sense....i may not agree with it, but i understand what u r saying; however, i cant understand the logic behind your post here. Best case scenario: Penny is a good #5 starter and an upgrade over Martinez or any other stiff they throw out there. Worse case scenario: Penny performs badly and he leaves in the offseason. Oh, and we are out a little bit of money...but we arent signing the checks so who cares?I just don't see Penny ruining the clubhouse chemistry. With Bonds, the Giants put up with his sometimes surly behavior because he was the star player. If Penny acts out in any way, he will be gone because hes just a rental, simple as that. Plus, I think Penny will be on his best behavior as he will be pitching for a contract. Also, don't forget that rosters will expand soon as well, so its not like penny will be taking someone else's spot.
I would take a Barry Bonds over Manny Ramirez every god damn day of the week. Bonds may have been a surly sonofabitch, but when he stepped between the lines he always gave his best effort. There is no way you can say the same about Ramirez, especially after the Boston fiasco.
I'm very sure. :4h I can't help but love Bonds because I grew up watching him play. But, his attitude and roid use lead to many distractions that really, really hurt the Giants as a team. You already know that though. :tsAnd Tom, please stop making Giants fans look stupid. This isn't a good move, just like the Freddy Sanchez trade. asdflkjhasdfjkhsad sabean.
For someone who posts on the internet a lot, you seem to care a lot about appearances :club:
All i can say is wow. Usually, what you say makes sense....i may not agree with it, but i understand what u r saying; however, i cant understand the logic behind your post here. Best case scenario: Penny is a good #5 starter and an upgrade over Martinez or any other stiff they throw out there. Worse case scenario: Penny performs badly and he leaves in the offseason. Oh, and we are out a little bit of money...but we arent signing the checks so who cares?I just don't see Penny ruining the clubhouse chemistry. With Bonds, the Giants put up with his sometimes surly behavior because he was the star player. If Penny acts out in any way, he will be gone because hes just a rental, simple as that. Plus, I think Penny will be on his best behavior as he will be pitching for a contract. Also, don't forget that rosters will expand soon as well, so its not like penny will be taking someone else's spot.
I would much rather have a bat than a number 5 starter. Penny wont even start in the playoffs if we make it. It's a horrible move man.
When Bonds stepped between the lines he always gave his best effort. There is no way you can say the same about Ramirez, especially after the Boston fiasco.
Could you specify what you're talking about exactly? What was the Boston fiasco as it pertains to between the lines?
Could you specify what you're talking about exactly? What was the Boston fiasco as it pertains to between the lines?
Forgive Tom, he not much into facts...a. Manny OPS'd something incredibly good his last few weeks in Boston before the trade.**** I'm sure Tom is stuck on that dp ball he didn't run out though. Being known as one of the players who spends the most time on preparation and film study is also pointless I guess, as is the way our younger hitters benefited from seeing how serious he took hitting.b. Lol at Barry 'giving it his best effort' every time he took the field. Honestly? Barry was known to half ass his way down the line just as often as Manny has, and most Giants fans defended him by saying they wouldn't want him to hurt himself anyway. Now somehow Barry has turned into a Charlie Hustle type?Lol, I am halfway convinced Tom is not real and is a very clever fake account sent here to confound us baseball fans. I have a hard time believing someone could actually watch the game through such orange and black tinted glasses (other than Mike Krukow that is).**** His numbers in July prior to the trade: 75 at-bats, 26 hits, four homers, 16 RBI, a .473 on-base percentage and a 1.060 OPS.....How dare he quit on them like that!!!!!
Forgive Tom, he not much into facts...a. Manny OPS'd something incredibly good his last few weeks in Boston before the trade.**** I'm sure Tom is stuck on that dp ball he didn't run out though. Being known as one of the players who spends the most time on preparation and film study is also pointless I guess, as is the way our younger hitters benefited from seeing how serious he took hitting.b. Lol at Barry 'giving it his best effort' every time he took the field. Honestly? Barry was known to half ass his way down the line just as often as Manny has, and most Giants fans defended him by saying they wouldn't want him to hurt himself anyway. Now somehow Barry has turned into a Charlie Hustle type?Lol, I am halfway convinced Tom is not real and is a very clever fake account sent here to confound us baseball fans. I have a hard time believing someone could actually watch the game through such orange and black tinted glasses (other than Mike Krukow that is).**** His numbers in July prior to the trade: 75 at-bats, 26 hits, four homers, 16 RBI, a .473 on-base percentage and a 1.060 OPS.....How dare he quit on them like that!!!!!
now, look here patrick. I like Manny. You know where you stand with Manny and you know what you get. Both him and Bonds gave the effort they wanted to give. But Manny is still no Bonds as good as he is. When Bonds was in his steroid hey-day, I was surprised when he made an out. I have never been able to say that about any other baseball player (even a Pujols or whoever). Bonds was a baseball god, a science-fueled force of nature that got on base at a 55%+ clip.Let's not forget how awesome he was just because almost no one likes the guy. So while all the stuff about effort in Tom's post was meaningless, the first line is correct. I would take Bonds over Manny any day of the week. It's not like either guy has ever been great for chemistry (and chemistry is so overrated anyway).

PMJ: Stealing my thunderCane: I took out that part of Tom’s post because there’s obviously no question Bonds was the better player. We were focusing on the part about Bonds over Manny based on effort.

PMJ: Stealing my thunderCane: I took out that part of Tom’s post because there’s obviously no question Bonds was the better player. We were focusing on the part about Bonds over Manny based on effort.
fair enough. In terms of effort, I would say Bonds was actually alright as a Pirate and then slowly deteriorated to the Manny level as a Giant.Of course, he was always a pain in the ass. Even in college at ASU Bonds was a huge prick.