2009 San Francisco Giants Thread

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to stab Charlie Manuel in the face. Did he really need to add a third outfielder from his team who is only batting ~.270? $#@$ing homer douchebag
LOL..relax bro, step back from the ledge. It's just the all-star game, it's not life and death. You must be one of those guys that was voting like 100x/minute lol...maybe next year.
Wow, nice friggin no-hitter by some dude that nobody's ever heard of!
this is the best thing that could've happened to the Giants, now they might actually be able to dump Sanchez on some poor unsuspecting team who only saw last night's game.
I want to stab Charlie Manuel in the face. Did he really need to add a third outfielder from his team who is only batting ~.270? $#@$ing homer douchebag
I didn't realize Giants fans would get so upset about Matt Kemp not getting the nod...No chance Manuel was picking Sandoval to replace an outfielder.
this is the best thing that could've happened to the Giants, now they might actually be able to dump Sanchez on some poor unsuspecting team who only saw last night's game.
All my friends that are true Giants fans and I said the same thing after last night's game - trade him now when his value is at it's high point. You really don't want to get stuck with your own version of Oliver Perez.
You guys can say what you like, but i dont think its fair to call someone a fair weather fan for expressing doubt. Regardless, I don't think i, or anyone, should have to prove what kind of fan they are. Anyways, im about to leave for the game today....so glad Sadowski is pitching and not that turd Sanchez.
If the Dodgers were 7 games out of first, I wouldn't use a term as optimistic as 'competing'; I would be whining about how awful they were. The Giants have had a great year, a little bit better than I thought they would, but the year is only half over. I'm a fan of the team with the best record in baseball, but I'm not going to make any final judgments on the Dodgers until the season comes to a close. Doing anything else is just setting yourself up for disappointment; I wouldn't declare myself a winner of a pot in poker after only the flop was dealt...If the Giants faded and finished at or near .500, missed the playoffs, etc, would Giants fans really be that surprised?That being said, I want nothing to do with the Giants and their pitching in the playoffs, and will live in fear of playing them in the NLCS.
If the Dodgers were 7 games out of first, I wouldn't use a term as optimistic as 'competing'; I would be whining about how awful they were. The Giants have had a great year, a little bit better than I thought they would, but the year is only half over. I'm a fan of the team with the best record in baseball, but I'm not going to make any final judgments on the Dodgers until the season comes to a close. Doing anything else is just setting yourself up for disappointment; I wouldn't declare myself a winner of a pot in poker after only the flop was dealt...If the Giants faded and finished at or near .500, missed the playoffs, etc, would Giants fans really be that surprised?That being said, I want nothing to do with the Giants and their pitching in the playoffs, and will live in fear of playing them in the NLCS.
I was thinking about this scenario last night. I would love it if the Giants and Dodgers played in the NLCS. :)But getting back to what you said, it's not even the All Star break. Still lots of baseball to be played. Tom, plz don't jinx the Giants.
All my friends that are true Giants fans and I said the same thing after last night's game - trade him now when his value is at it's high point. You really don't want to get stuck with your own version of Oliver Perez.
This. Each and every one of my friends said, "Trade him now!!!!" Maybe we could package him with Alderson and something for Halladay. Imagine Lincecum, Cain and Halladay in a short series. :club: I'm dreaming but who cares.
I get your point, but I think i would be surprised if the Giants dont finish at the top or near the top of the wildcard spot. Their pitching is too consistent for them to go on a prolonged losing streak. Plus, Sandoval is one of the best young players in baseball.
I was thinking about this scenario last night. I would love it if the Giants and Dodgers played in the NLCS. :)But getting back to what you said, it's not even the All Star break. Still lots of baseball to be played. Tom, plz don't jinx the Giants.
Lol. I'll try not to.
This. Each and every one of my friends said, "Trade him now!!!!" Maybe we could package him with Alderson and something for Halladay. Imagine Lincecum, Cain and Halladay in a short series. :club: I'm dreaming but who cares.
Whoever gets Halladay will have to be able to lock him up long term. And there is absolutely no way that the Giants will be able to afford that as well as lock up Lincecum and Cain. Nice try tho.
Plus, Sandoval is one of the best young players in baseball.
I like him so far, but my main concern with him would be his body breaking down sooner rather then later. Players with his body type tend to run into injury problems, or just get too out of shape (see Dimitri Young, Daryle Ward - both very talented hitters who's careers weren't all that impressive).

Also, any doubts I might have about the Giants ability to keep up their pace come from how they have done against better teams and on the road. As with a lot of teams with young players, they have been much better at home. They've done well to beat the weaker teams (Padres, Nationals, etc), but have struggled against teams like the Angels and the Mets (both series at SF), who haven't been world beaters this year, but have a lot more talent on their rosters then some teams. The Giants most impressive performance in a road series that I can think of was taking 2/3 at La, but as a rival that isn't that surprising. Splitting in STL was a decent outcome too.On the bright side, most of the NL sucks so they benefit there. :club: Not playing a lot of games vs the Rockies early (like the Dodgers) when they sucked might hurt them in the long run though.

I like him so far, but my main concern with him would be his body breaking down sooner rather then later. Players with his body type tend to run into injury problems, or just get too out of shape (see Dimitri Young, Daryle Ward - both very talented hitters who's careers weren't all that impressive).
I disagree completely with those comparisons. Sandoval has tremendous hand-eye coordination (allows him to square-up balls out of the strike zone and still get hits) that allows him to hit for high average, unlike Ward.Also, unlike Dmitri Young, Sandoval is very athletic and a good defensive player. Sandoval is pretty quick and can play multiple positions well whereas Young is a complete liability on defense. You are right that they are similar in build, but i think sandoval is a far better athlete in general.
I disagree completely with those comparisons. Sandoval has tremendous hand-eye coordination (allows him to square-up balls out of the strike zone and still get hits) that allows him to hit for high average, unlike Ward.Also, unlike Dmitri Young, Sandoval is very athletic and a good defensive player. Sandoval is pretty quick and can play multiple positions well whereas Young is a complete liability on defense. You are right that they are similar in build, but i think sandoval is a far better athlete in general.
Blah had a response typed up and I misclicked.1. Lol at making definite statements about a guy with a year's worth of experience.2. Lol at Sandoval being the only MLB hitter with good hand-eye coordination...Pretty sure Ward and Young had that as well....3. Since when is Sandoval a 'good defensive player'? Not as bad as some thought maybe, but good? If that is the case, why did Bochy yank him for Uribe in the Sanchez no hitter? It's not like Uribe is Brooks Robinson...4. I was giving Sandoval a compliment by comaring him to Dmitri Young; a .292 career avg with about 20 hrs a year is pretty good. I could have compared him to another SFG all star 3b, Chris Brown.I have to admit I admire some Giants fans optimism. There are Dodgers players who have been 'established' for a few years now and I am still uncertain of how good of a career they will end up having. I'd probably be in a great mood when watching Dodgers games if I thought they all were flawless, future HOFers. Physical limitations and past precedents? Meh, that's silly talk.
Blah had a response typed up and I misclicked.1. Lol at making definite statements about a guy with a year's worth of experience.Of course, nothing definitive, but a year usually gives you a pretty good idea. Looking at his minor league stats and watching his games on tv make me believe he can continue at his current production.2. Lol at Sandoval being the only MLB hitter with good hand-eye coordination...Pretty sure Ward and Young had that as well....Yeah but they never hit .320ish. My argument was that his ability to put the bat on the ball is well above the average for major leaguers3. Since when is Sandoval a 'good defensive player'? Not as bad as some thought maybe, but good? If that is the case, why did Bochy yank him for Uribe in the Sanchez no hitter? It's not like Uribe is Brooks Robinson...He was removed to the game because of a sore back, not because he is a bad defensive player. ]4. I was giving Sandoval a compliment by comaring him to Dmitri Young; a .292 career avg with about 20 hrs a year is pretty good. I could have compared him to another SFG all star 3b, Chris Brown.I agree its a compliment to compare his offense to Young. All I said was that Sandoval is a much better fielder than Young, which i think you would agree with.I have no idea who Chris brown is...not old enough i guess.I have to admit I admire some Giants fans optimism. There are Dodgers players who have been 'established' for a few years now and I am still uncertain of how good of a career they will end up having. I'd probably be in a great mood when watching Dodgers games if I thought they all were flawless, future HOFers. Physical limitations and past precedents? Meh, that's silly talk.
Noted.
Noted.
My main point in regards to Sandoval/body type, is he probably is at the peak of his athletic ability right now. He obviously can hit major league pitching, but it's not like as he gets older he will get more athletic, faster, more agile, etc etc. I have an english bulldog that is two and he hit his athletic peak when he was like 8 months old lol. :club:
My main point in regards to Sandoval/body type, is he probably is at the peak of his athletic ability right now. He obviously can hit major league pitching, but it's not like as he gets older he will get more athletic, faster, more agile, etc etc. I have an english bulldog that is two and he hit his athletic peak when he was like 8 months old lol. :club:
if he calls Bonds and gets some PEDs he will. And yes, Monte's fat ass is def out of shape. :ts
  • 2 weeks later...
Alderson for Freddie Sanchez??????? Vomit.Guess he didn't learn from the AJ for Nathan/Liriano fiasco.
Yeah, at first glance I thought the Pirates made out well, and the more I look at Sanchez, the less I like the deal for the Giants. Hitting .296 with a .334 obp and little pop, so I guess he will fit in with the rest of the lineup.Both deals have been improvements over what they had, but if I was a Giants fan I would be pissed that those needs were not addressed last winter.
Yeah, at first glance I thought the Pirates made out well, and the more I look at Sanchez, the less I like the deal for the Giants. Hitting .296 with a .334 obp and little pop, so I guess he will fit in with the rest of the lineup.Both deals have been improvements over what they had, but if I was a Giants fan I would be pissed that those needs were not addressed last winter.
this. I'm not happy that the Giants gave up Alderson.
this. I'm not happy that the Giants gave up Alderson.
Really? I don't understand this. Sabean gets ripped and ripped for not doing anything, then when he does, Giants fans are still not happy. I mean have any of the Giants fans in here really ever seen Alderson pitch? How good is he really? Is he really not worth trading for a possibility at getting to the playoffs this year? As an A's fan, I only wish my team was in position to make trades for guys like Garko and Sanchez. Maybe I'm outta line here, but I'd rather be playing for this year, and not for 4-5 years down the road. A's fans are friggin force-fed the future. I'm just so sick of it...I wanna live in the now dammit!! Ok sorry /rant. :club:

Sanchez is so bad. He is like a true .289 hitter, which is good, but its also his only skill. He doesn't walk, he doesn't hit for power and he is below average defensively. Plus for how mediocre he is, he is pretty expensive 6.2 million for this year, and a 8 million dollar vesting option for next. And the Giants are on the hook for all of the money owed to him.I'm not a Alderson fan because he doesn't seem to get many strikeouts, but this is still a guy that who was widely considered to be in the top 30-50 prospects. I believe ESPN even had him in the twenties. And thats just too much to give up for Sanchez.How in the same universe is it that Sanchez goes for Alderson that the Marlins are saying no to a Heath Bell for Sean West trade?