Final wondering, if time travel is possible, why not go far enuf into the past before a civilization is advanced , then wiping it out would be much simpler?
/sigh<geekrant>They didn't pick how far into the past they went, it was accidental they that they jumped into the past to begin with. He wanted his revenge to be personal, by showing it to Spock who wouldn't have been alive at the beginning of civilization.</geekrant>Is that enuf of an explanation?
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/sigh<geekrant>They didn't pick how far into the past they went, it was accidental they that they jumped into the past to begin with. He wanted his revenge to be personal, by showing it to Spock who wouldn't have been alive at the beginning of civilization.</geekrant>Is that enuf of an explanation?
So then it was just an amazing coinkidink that they went to the exact spot in the past to torment spock? PS Methinks you taking this whole trek thing too serious.
So then it was just an amazing coinkidink that they went to the exact spot in the past to torment spock? PS Methinks you taking this whole trek thing too serious.
Methinks your mother drank Seagrams Golden Wine Coolers while she was pregnant

Just another gripe to tilt Jadaki:After all these years of it being a staple plot point of all the ST series (serii? serieses?), it finally occurred to me that having starship captains know the defense codes for Earth has got to be the stupidest security plan ever.

1. You can land and take off a Federation starship without disabling Earth's security, so why do they need to know these codes at all?
  2. They are out wandering about the universe, ripe for kidnapping and torture/brain worms/etc. to get them to reveal the codes. How is that a good idea?
  3. What in their job actually requires them to know and use the codes? Even if Earth's under attack, they just gather around and shoot at the enemy -- they're not the ones enhancing or altering the planet's shields.
  4. Why would the entire planet have only one code and that code available in full to every captain?
  5. Shouldn't they change "the" code every day, or every hour?
  6. And shouldn't it be virtually impossible to keep in memory, specifically to foil brain worms/ear mites/whatever?
  7. Name a single country in this planet's history that has entrusted every single seagoing captain in its fleet with all the crucial secrets of national defense.

Just another gripe to tilt Jadaki:After all these years of it being a staple plot point of all the ST series (serii? serieses?), it finally occurred to me that having starship captains know the defense codes for Earth has got to be the stupidest security plan ever.
  1. You can land and take off a Federation starship without disabling Earth's security, so why do they need to know these codes at all?
  2. They are out wandering about the universe, ripe for kidnapping and torture/brain worms/etc. to get them to reveal the codes. How is that a good idea?
  3. What in their job actually requires them to know and use the codes? Even if Earth's under attack, they just gather around and shoot at the enemy -- they're not the ones enhancing or altering the planet's shields.
  4. Why would the entire planet have only one code and that code available in full to every captain?
  6. And shouldn't it be virtually impossible to keep in memory, specifically to foil brain worms/ear mites/whatever?
  7. Name a single country in this planet's history that has entrusted every single seagoing captain in its fleet with all the crucial secrets of national defense.

Yeah! I mean why would they want ships crewed by thousands of people they've spent years training to be able to return to base without getting vaporized? I'm sure no nuke sub captain had access to radio frequencies, launch codes, or the disposition of the rest of the fleet during the cold war. That would just be crazy.

facepalm2sn8.jpg
Yeah! I mean why would they want ships crewed by thousands of people they've spent years training to be able to return to base without getting vaporized? I'm sure no nuke sub captain had access to radio frequencies, launch codes, or the disposition of the rest of the fleet during the cold war. That would just be crazy.
Okay. Are you seriously suggesting that Earth's defenses vaporized any approaching Federation vessel unless the whole planet's defenses were neutralized? The only settings are "suicide" and "off"? Because that would be even stupider.And are you suggesting that nuclear sub captains during the Cold War had access to the launch codes of every missile in the US, instead of just their own? Because that would be wrong. In fact, I may be misremembering this, but I'm fairly sure that they didn't even have full access to their own launch codes. In order to prevent a rogue commander from launching an attack, the keys and codes were split among all the senior officers, and they all had to sign in before a launch could be initiated. There is absolutely no way that every captain at sea, nuke or not, had the full launch codes to every single missile in the US. [Nor did they have, in their heads, the frequencies and location of every other ship.]
facepalm2sn8.jpg
LOL -- all those defense codes are giving him a headache.
I'm currently tilt proof.
Lebron is the greatest basketball player in the history of hoops.Now proceed to steam :club:
Lebron is the greatest basketball player in the history of hoops.Now proceed to steam :club:
If Keith posted that it would almost work... but I'm running too good at life right now to give a shit about basketball when the season isn't even close.
If Keith posted that it would almost work... but I'm running too good at life right now to give a shit about basketball when the season isn't even close.
You know it's all love. Can't wait for the debate in a few months heading into the 09-10 season. Pleeeeease say you'll join the FCP Keeper League...not having a chance to beat you is just plain wrong.
  • 2 months later...
FIRE EVERYTHING!
So I have seen the movie but I've only skimmed the thread. I'm sure when I'm feeling geekier I'll quote a bunch more stuff and have a lot of really geeky opinions, but the bottom line is this: It seems like BigD is on track with his assessment of the film. I say seems like because, as I said already, I haven't read the whole thread yet. Whatever. Anyways, I enjoyed the first half of the movie more than the second half. There were some truly good parts, and some truly cringe-worthy parts. Oh and I quoted run not only because he said that twice, but because it stood out to me also as being....funny or something. FIRE EVERYTHING! They never say that, because it's stupid. They're usually much more precise, even when going all-out-blasting on some alien bitches. At the very least it should be, 'Fire all weapons.'