Getting Posted To Maldives

My boss spoke to me last week and told me that a few months down the road, I will be posted to Male, the capital of Maldives. I will be there for at least 2 years.This is the photo of the place. Is this a beat or a brag?Beat - Small place, have to rely on bottled water, no fresh vegetables, internet connection may be spotty, limited choices of food, global warmingBrag - Maldives, sun, sea, girls, fishing, laid back lifestyle, fresh airMale-total.jpg

With the exception of spotty internet and small place, I have the same beats here in America :club: Some are by choice though.My big thing would be 1. How mobile off maldives you are when you're not working and 2. like bdc said, are you making enough to live it up and put some monies away for the sacrifice you're making.

I see this as a win-win.If you are in a long-term job and are well compensated then this is a compliment to your skills and an opportunity to further impress the corporate hierarchy. If you are in a job that doesn't pay that well or that you don't care that much about, you get to live in a fun and different place for two years, which is a great life experience.Since you referenced "girls" as being an asset, I will assume you are not married, so I would say this is a BRAG.

My boss spoke to me last week and told me that a few months down the road, I will be posted to Male, the capital of Maldives. I will be there for at least 2 years.This is the photo of the place. Is this a beat or a brag?Beat - Small place, have to rely on bottled water, no fresh vegetables, internet connection may be spotty, limited choices of food, global warmingBrag - Maldives, sun, sea, girls, fishing, laid back lifestyle, fresh airMale-total.jpg
that entire place looks like it could go under water at any time, very Waterworld'ish picture.

Unless there is ample free time and an ample salary to make you want to be there two years, then I say BEAT. If you are going to have time to explore and especially if you surf ... then it is BRAG.

I think your frame of mind will determine if it is a beat or brag. As long as your job doesn't suck and the cost of living in bearable, it sounds like an awesome life experience. Make sure to take lots of pictures.

Just did a little search...Oooops2004 TsunamiOn 26 December 2004, the Maldives were devastated by a tsunami following the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake. Only nine islands were reported to have escaped any flooding[citation needed], while fifty-seven islands faced serious damage to critical infrastructure, fourteen islands had to be totally evacuated, and six islands were decimated. A further twenty-one resort islands were forced to shut down due to serious damage. The total damage was estimated at over 400 million dollars or some 62% of the GDP.[citation needed] A total of 108 people, including six foreigners, reportedly died in the tsunami. [18] The destructive impact of the waves on the low-lying islands was mitigated by the fact there was no continental shelf or land mass upon which the waves could gain height. The tallest waves were reported 14 feet (4.3 m) high :club:

Dude this is great, if you are young, single if they will give you housing and if you can get paid tax free offshore.I've worked all over the world and wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it again.

I see this as a win-win.If you are in a long-term job and are well compensated then this is a compliment to your skills and an opportunity to further impress the corporate hierarchy. If you are in a job that doesn't pay that well or that you don't care that much about, you get to live in a fun and different place for two years, which is a great life experience.Since you referenced "girls" as being an asset, I will assume you are not married, so I would say this is a BRAG.
Yeah, I am in a long term job. My boss told me that it'd be good for my career development if I went over to Maldives to head the operations over there. My current job pays me well enough and when I'm over in Maldives, I'll get more in the form of overseas allowances, free housing, etc.
My big thing would be 1. How mobile off maldives you are when you're not working
Do you mean like on weekends? If you're asking on an annual basis, I get 5 weeks of vacation leave per year and I'll also get 3-4 return air tickets home. So that makes me relatively mobile in that sense.
2. like bdc said, are you making enough to live it up and put some monies away for the sacrifice you're making.
Yeah, I'll be making enough to save up a significant amount and still be able to enjoy a good life. I'm not married nor do I own a house, so financially, my actual needs are quite small.
that entire place looks like it could go under water at any time, very Waterworld'ish picture.
lol was going to say same thing..... looks sweet at first but i think michael phelps could swim around it in less then 30 min and if someone accidently dumped a gallon of water on the ground the place would floodedit: but i would take my chances cause it looks pretty nice
QFTThe pic makes it look like the slightest rain storm will put 1/2 the island underwater. 5 ft above sea level, ftw!!
Do you mean like on weekends? If you're asking on an annual basis, I get 5 weeks of vacation leave per year and I'll also get 3-4 return air tickets home. So that makes me relatively mobile in that sense.Yeah, I'll be making enough to save up a significant amount and still be able to enjoy a good life. I'm not married nor do I own a house, so financially, my actual needs are quite small.
gogogogogogogo
My boss spoke to me last week and told me that a few months down the road, I will be posted to Male, the capital of Maldives. I will be there for at least 2 years.This is the photo of the place. Is this a beat or a brag?Beat - Small place, have to rely on bottled water, no fresh vegetables, internet connection may be spotty, limited choices of food, global warmingBrag - Maldives, sun, sea, girls, fishing, laid back lifestyle, fresh air
Sorry man. After I posted this, the gf called and then had to run some errands.
You're going to have to deal with this issue.