I think Dwan has to say no when Barry asks if he wants to take some of the money back. Part of Dwan's style depends on people being afraid of losing their entire stack. If they know he's willing to make a deal and take some money back, then it's not as scary to play a pot with him. This way they know that when they play with him, they're playing for everything.
This is why BG never runs it multiple times.
  • Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Why? Is in the hand history.. He didn't call an all in Preflop with his KQs... they had been playing pretty much standard good aggressive poker with legitimate hands with raises and reraises until Barry comes over the top with his All In.At this point - the pot was up to $728,100 and Dwan instacalls his remaining $191,500 to win a total pot of 919,600 which is pot odds of (in my minds rough estimation) around 7/2 (or 3.5/1).. Regardless of the (to me) obscene amounts of money being pushed around here, if you can't call a 2/1 shot to make 3 1/2 times your money back, you shouldn't be playing poker... And if the money scares you, you are playing out of your limits. Which.. one hopes these guys are not.To put it another way (and I'm really sorry if I'm teaching anyone how to suck eggs here... but I guess there will be some readers who haven't considered this, seeing as it hasn't already been said..) If anyone wants to play coinflips all day with me, and offer me a deal where when you win I give you a dollar, but when I win, you give me 3 dollars and 50 cents, I'll gladly play you all day.... or at least a couple of hours, until you are broke!I once read a Doyle quote somewhere, where he said he would coinflip his ENTIRE net worth if someone offered him 3/1 odds in his favour. He backed it up by saying if you can't make a call like that for ANY amont of money, you have no business being in this business... (I'm paraphrasing obviously.. but you get the gist..). He further backed it up by stating that if he lost it, he would trust in his abilities to grind it ALL back starting from nothing, safe in the knowledge he made the right call.Interesting stuff... and clearly insane for me to consider with my roll of mere pennies, but I know it's right. And tada... this I believe is my first post ;)Chris
Well, Ive never been a big flamer (LOL), but I think your first post totally missed my point. Im not saying he shouldnt call all day and twice on Sundays. Im saying after the money is in, he knows its a flip, why flip for 900K when you could flip for 500K? Any case, this is a much better answer:
I think Dwan has to say no when Barry asks if he wants to take some of the money back. Part of Dwan's style depends on people being afraid of losing their entire stack. If they know he's willing to make a deal and take some money back, then it's not as scary to play a pot with him. This way they know that when they play with him, they're playing for everything.
And I guess if you believe this answer, your answer to this question is obvious: Do you really think Durrrr put that much thought into it? He didnt even think about it, just a 'No' right away. I think the reason is that he saw he wasnt a dog, and he really is just a maniac and wants to flip the coin.

Aha.... I understand... !In my defence, there was no mention in your post that you were referring to the fact that Barry had offered him the chance for them both to take 200k each out of the pot, so you can see my confusion.. But putting it into that context, yes I see.Muchos RegardosChris

Well, Ive never been a big flamer (LOL), but I think your first post totally missed my point. Im not saying he shouldnt call all day and twice on Sundays. Im saying after the money is in, he knows its a flip, why flip for 900K when you could flip for 500K? Any case, this is a much better answer:And I guess if you believe this answer, your answer to this question is obvious: Do you really think Durrrr put that much thought into it? He didnt even think about it, just a 'No' right away. I think the reason is that he saw he wasnt a dog, and he really is just a maniac and wants to flip the coin.
LOL...are u serious?
LOL...are u serious?
I think you missed this part.
And I guess if you believe this answer, your answer to this question is obvious: Do you really think Durrrr put that much thought into it? He didnt even think about it, just a 'No' right away. I think the reason is that he saw he wasnt a dog, and he really is just a maniac and wants to flip the coin.
He didn't think for a second about taking money back which is what myenemy's point is.
I think you missed this part.He didn't think for a second about taking money back which is what myenemy's point is.
Nope, didn't miss that part...But you really think there's no metagame-factor in his decision to flip for all of it? Ya...no way.
Balloon Guy never runs it twice! Well I guess I won't be playing him heads up anytime soon.
He's got you right where he wants you then.Mark
Nope, didn't miss that part...But you really think there's no metagame-factor in his decision to flip for all of it? Ya...no way.
Oh I'm sure there is but it doesn't really change the fact that he didn't pause for thought at all on Barry's offer to me it was just more of the "nah the money's already in, I like my chances", then this will effect such and such down the line...

Now that the first day is over, do we know how much people are up or down? How did Peter Eastgate only have $180K for his all-in on the 6-4 full house hand? Didn't he start with $500K and Gabe mentioned that he was up $100K in a previous show... I guess we didn't see alot of his spewing.We know Daniel's down 2 buy-ins. Did Durrr fully recoup his previous loss to BG?

Oh I'm sure there is but it doesn't really change the fact that he didn't pause for thought at all on Barry's offer to me it was just more of the "nah the money's already in, I like my chances", then this will effect such and such down the line...
Agreed.
Now that the first day is over, do we know how much people are up or down? How did Peter Eastgate only have $180K for his all-in on the 6-4 full house hand? Didn't he start with $500K and Gabe mentioned that he was up $100K in a previous show... I guess we didn't see alot of his spewing.We know Daniel's down 2 buy-ins. Did Durrr fully recoup his previous loss to BG?
So DN was down 400K? I thought it was 500K.Incidentally, what do you think DN is worth? $30M? Thats a total guess. And yes I am saying net worth, not bankroll.

NWP blows.

Agreed.So DN was down 400K? I thought it was 500K.Incidentally, what do you think DN is worth? $30M? Thats a total guess. And yes I am saying net worth, not bankroll.
Come on man you're good with digits, that 30 ball is absurd.
Do you really think Durrrr put that much thought into it? He didnt even think about it, just a 'No' right away. I think the reason is that he saw he wasnt a dog, and he really is just a maniac and wants to flip the coin.
The show could also be edited... I don't think he thought about it for more than maybe a second or two, even if it was edited, but it's still a possibility. I'm sure he had the action already played out, factored in Barry only running it once and thought about keeping all the money in the pot.Awesome show so far. I hope it doesn't slow down !Dan
Agreed.So DN was down 400K? I thought it was 500K.Incidentally, what do you think DN is worth? $30M? Thats a total guess. And yes I am saying net worth, not bankroll.
It depends on whether you are including total sales of "Stacked" in this figure?
Now that the first day is over, do we know how much people are up or down?
It's really day 3 that you just saw, just fyi again. So for a player like Daniel who is in the earlier days, how much he's down at the end of the day you saw is a factor of a bunch of hands you haven't seen yet.Mark
This is why BG never runs it multiple times.
This doesn't make any sense. Why would someone who doesn't run it more the once want to pull money back and play for a smaller pot? The whole reason in running it multiple times is to decrease variance, which is exactly what saving money on a 50/50 flip is. THAT is why Dwan didn't want to save, or pull any money back. Dwan even asked if Barry wanted to run it multiple times and Barry said no but we can pull some money back which makes NO sense. So dwan was like wtfbbq, run it.

Could it also not just be a simple case of Dwan thinking if Barry doesn't to bend to meet anyone else's wants he won't do the same? As in, I've never heard Barry offer deals of taking some back or the like, so if Barry never concedes anything in terms of deal making, Dwan won't either? Barry can't have it how he wants it every time kind of thinking?

This doesn't make any sense. Why would someone who doesn't run it more the once want to pull money back and play for a smaller pot? The whole reason in running it multiple times is to decrease variance, which is exactly what saving money on a 50/50 flip is. THAT is why Dwan didn't want to save, or pull any money back. Dwan even asked if Barry wanted to run it multiple times and Barry said no but we can pull some money back which makes NO sense. So dwan was like wtfbbq, run it.
Barry's doesn't run it twice. It's kind of like (but not really), chopping the blinds. You do or you don't . I think Barry doesn't feel it's fair to cherry pick when you run it twice so he simply won't do it. I think he feels he has to be consistent but he didn't want to flip for 400K or whatever. Tom's a sicko and doesn't mind flipping for stacks. I'm pretty sure Barry isn't used to playing that high but the stakes are totally in Tom's comfort zone. ADVANTAGE TOM, like he needs it.
Barry's doesn't run it twice. It's kind of like (but not really), chopping the blinds. You do or you don't . I think Barry doesn't feel it's fair to cherry pick when you run it twice so he simply won't do it. I think he feels he has to be consistent
I agree with this ethically and I like that he's consistent. The one exception I think you can make in these circumstances is when it's an exact 50/50 flip... I don't think anyone would have thought bad of him for changing his usual 'run it one time only' philosophy in this case.

Bring the action back of Durr. Patrik Antoinus is boring, good looking but boring. Nick Cassavetes interesting I like him. Slower paced betting hoping as they get more into the game betting will go up. Of course Howard got to go, party pooper to all ideas of upping bets and putting on straddles.

Bring the action back of Durr. Patrik Antoinus is boring, good looking but boring. Nick Cassavetes interesting I like him. Slower paced betting hoping as they get more into the game betting will go up. Of course Howard got to go, party pooper to all ideas of upping bets and putting on straddles.
I'm guessing ratings will be going in a downward direction for this group of guys. I thought the same thing, is that like the first time that 2-7 has been declined in a tv game? I think PA would have been a great fit for the last group and would have made watching Durrr, BG, and Ziggy even better, but this group does seem quite boring.It also probly wouldn't have been as bad if this group played before last group. Pretty much, Durrrr makes it gr8 tv.