Online Playing Style

On Poker stars, I have deposited around 100-150 dollars over the last few months. I consider myself a well above average player but can't seem to get any traction going online. I usually play NLHE in the range of .02/.05 or .05/.10 blinds. I focus on making the right decisions and playing my absolute best consistently. But whether it be cash games or tournaments I am constantly finding myself being drawn out on. I am just trying to find some tips to change my strategy while playing online. Any tips would be well appreciated.

Continue to do what you are doing if you think you keep getting drawn out on. More than likely, you are not well above average. Keep in mind everyone thinks that. What makes you think you are above average? If you are a new player, you likely have lots of leaks to plug before you are truly a winning player. Keep an eye out here and pay attention, and ask a lot of questions with thick skin for the answers you will receive. There are tons of players here that have ground up from your limits, and not utilizing them now that you have found FCP would be a huge mistake

I'm not a novice, I know what I'm doing. It just seems like the live game strategy is not translating well to online. So that's why I was wondering if I should try a totally different style.

FWIW with rake and all, you need to be WAY above average to survive in today's online environment. Read strategy, plug holes in your game, and hang around and talk with other good players. Build a network of good poker friends and you will get good fast.

FWIW with rake and all, you need to be WAY above average to survive in today's online environment. Read strategy, plug holes in your game, and hang around and talk with other good players. Build a network of good poker friends and you will get good fast.
Jesus I can't even find words to reiterate how friggin' true that statement is.Regardless, you need to get to $1/2+ fixed limit and .10/.25+ no limit in a *hurry* to beat to rake... Anything other than that is going to be.. well... "casual".. Beating rake is a nightmare on stars, and finding enough games to keep yourself happy and table selective on most other sites is a chore in itself.

Did you mention your style?I mean if your a losing player over the long term, you should probably change your style...no?My OPR stats hoover around 70%, so that makes me an above average player (right?), yet I still have a negative ROI. I recently have changed my style with the SNG's, but with the variance, I still struggle (though I have had several good streaks lately :club:).Oh, and Jennifer Tilly is so f'n hot hot for a 50 year old-or even a 30 year old.

Continue to do what you are doing if you think you keep getting drawn out on. More than likely, you are not well above average. Keep in mind everyone thinks that. What makes you think you are above average? If you are a new player, you likely have lots of leaks to plug before you are truly a winning player. Keep an eye out here and pay attention, and ask a lot of questions with thick skin for the answers you will receive. There are tons of players here that have ground up from your limits, and not utilizing them now that you have found FCP would be a huge mistake
QFTFCP is a great place to learn and improve, but you have to be willing to accept constructive criticism. I have learned alot about my own game from just reading here but if you post some hands that are not easy decisions then you will normally get positive feedback that will help alot. Good Luck!
I'm not a novice, I know what I'm doing. It just seems like the live game strategy is not translating well to online. So that's why I was wondering if I should try a totally different style.
you're right, it wont translate well at all. even the weaker players are probably pushing you around a whole lot.
Jesus I can't even find words to reiterate how friggin' true that statement is.Regardless, you need to get to $1/2+ fixed limit and .10/.25+ no limit in a *hurry* to beat to rake... Anything other than that is going to be.. well... "casual".. Beating rake is a nightmare on stars, and finding enough games to keep yourself happy and table selective on most other sites is a chore in itself.
thats right where the rake trap begins which is why even good players who beat up 1/2 limit games don't often make it to like 5/10 and up unless they take shots or hit a huge tournament score.

OP, you need to post hands in strat so everyone can help u. Read the guidelines an post confusing hands. U will get a good response. If you want, I'll play u HU and I can give you some pointers (I'll do my best) in the chat box. We can cap the losses if ur not rolled for the HU tables. lmk

More than likely, you are not well above average. Keep in mind everyone thinks that.There are tons of players here that have ground up from your limits, and not utilizing them now that you have found FCP would be a huge mistake

Thanks for all the tips so far, I am probably going to deposit 50-100 either this weekend or early next week. I'd love to get into some games with some of the fcp members and hopefully I could get some help on how to adjust my game.

Thanks for all the tips so far, I am probably going to deposit 50-100 either this weekend or early next week. I'd love to get into some games with some of the fcp members and hopefully I could get some help on how to adjust my game.
Eh, you'll just lose faster. Seriously, post hands to the strat forums or talk in one of the challenge threads. Respond to other people's posted hands. Think about why you do things at each decision in a hand, and ask questions when you can't come up with an answer, or when you're not sure of your answer. The sooner you decide you don't know anything, the easier it is to learn
Eh, you'll just lose faster. Seriously, post hands to the strat forums or read one of the challenge threads. Respond to other people's posted hands. Think about why you do things at each decision in a hand, and ask questions when you can't come up with an answer, or when you're not sure of your answer. The sooner you decide you don't know anything, the easier it is to learn
FYP
thats right where the rake trap begins which is why even good players who beat up 1/2 limit games don't often make it to like 5/10 and up unless they take shots or hit a huge tournament score.
What do you mean, where the rake trap begins?
What do you mean, where the rake trap begins?
Rake at 1/2 and 2/4 more than halves my winrate, causing probably 4x as many swings (since variance is a square root function??!) and just generally making it way harder to build out of those levels.
Rake at 1/2 and 2/4 more than halves my winrate, causing probably 4x as many swings (since variance is a square root function??!) and just generally making it way harder to build out of those levels.
I'm confused...I thought the rake was terrible at low limits but got better as you moved up? If the rake is so bad and only gets worse as you move up, why do people bother playing cash games online?
I'm confused...I thought the rake was terrible at low limits but got better as you moved up? If the rake is so bad and only gets worse as you move up, why do people bother playing cash games online?
At 3/6 and above it's a lot better (LHE). I'm not sure about NL, i know it's really bad at 10NL though
Rake at 1/2 and 2/4 more than halves my winrate, causing probably 4x as many swings (since variance is a square root function??!)
Can't resist the temptation to turn this into a mathematically true statement: if your winrate halves (but your variance stays the same), it will take you four times as long to get a certain number of standard deviations away from zero. So where normally after N hands you would be 95% certain to be winning, this will now take you 4N hands. (Where 95% can be replaced by any other percentage you like.)