• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Covering all my bases -- I lit a candle in my husband's Catholic tradition, said a prayer from my Methodist upbringing, and did two Buddhist practices, metta and tonglen. Metta is a set of phrases repeated (traditionally) 108 times (coincidentally or not, this is the same number in Buddhism as it is in the Catholic rosary -- beats me why). You can send metta to yourself, a loved one, or everyone in the world. The phrases are:May Mrs. Negreanu be free from dangerMay she have physical happinessMay she have mental happinessMay she have ease and well-beingTonglen means "taking and sending." With each breath in, you imagine yourself breathing in someone else's suffering, pain, unhappiness, confusion, or any negative feeling. With each breath out, you send them the opposite -- comfort, peace, happiness.And yeah, although he didn't ask, I agree with the other posters regarding making sure Daniel's included in the prayers, too.

3 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)2 Members: Nimue1995, Southern BuddhistWhere have you been girl? We've missed ya.
Hi, honey! Long story -- mostly, I've been unemployed. Laid off from my beloved theatre and the grantwriting job I loved. I've been getting over the shock, collecting sympathy from quite a lot of this very small town (which doesn't understand why any non-profit in its right mind would lay off someone who brought in anywhere from five to twenty times her own salary every year), and trading gossip and venting with the others who were laid off along with me. I'll talk about it more in General or somewhere more appropriate than here, but I'm all right. Glad to be back.
Hi, honey! Long story -- mostly, I've been unemployed. Laid off from my beloved theatre and the grantwriting job I loved. I've been getting over the shock, collecting sympathy from quite a lot of this very small town (which doesn't understand why any non-profit in its right mind would lay off someone who brought in anywhere from five to twenty times her own salary every year), and trading gossip and venting with the others who were laid off along with me. I'll talk about it more in General or somewhere more appropriate than here, but I'm all right. Glad to be back.
You've been added to my prayers sweetie and I hope you are able to get back to work soon.

Daniel I wish your Mom a speedy and safe recovery. My prayers are with her and your family. If you need anyone to cook some home made Romanian dishes let me know I am pretty good at them and not that far away.

DanielI will trade you prayers for our mothers. My Mom has been in hospital since December 24 and this week they told us that she has lung and bone cancer, and on Wednesday they called us in saying she had 1 hour to live, after undergoing a broncoscopy (lung cancer test the previous day). I know all too well about the reduced mental state coming and going as Mom was impacted by the drug they used to get her lungs going after the procedure. Was just coming back today when had another setback, and back to not being very coherent.It is a difficult time, I would strongly suggest you follow her back to Toronto and camp out at the hospital. True we all get care in Canada but the doctors and nurses are very overworked and sometimes things fall between the cracks, so your Mom really needs you or your brother there as her advocate at ALL times until she gets better - that has been my experience with my Mom's stay.My Mom is badly in need of a runner runner runner runner runner board at the moment - I hope yours has a much higher chance of recovery.My prayers are with you at this difficult time. It is rather bizarre that I decided to come to the site for some diversion from the past month and then I see this.Best of LuckDerrick

DanielI will trade you prayers for our mothers. My Mom has been in hospital since December 24 and this week they told us that she has lung and bone cancer, and on Wednesday they called us in saying she had 1 hour to live, after undergoing a broncoscopy (lung cancer test the previous day). I know all too well about the reduced mental state coming and going as Mom was impacted by the drug they used to get her lungs going after the procedure. Was just coming back today when had another setback, and back to not being very coherent.It is a difficult time, I would strongly suggest you follow her back to Toronto and camp out at the hospital. True we all get care in Canada but the doctors and nurses are very overworked and sometimes things fall between the cracks, so your Mom really needs you or your brother there as her advocate at ALL times until she gets better - that has been my experience with my Mom's stay.My Mom is badly in need of a runner runner runner runner runner board at the moment - I hope yours has a much higher chance of recovery.My prayers are with you at this difficult time. It is rather bizarre that I decided to come to the site for some diversion from the past month and then I see this.Best of LuckDerrick
Derrick, so sorry. Of course you and your mom will be added to everyone's list here, I'm sure. You and your mom are lucky that you've realized the truth of your signature file now, instead of years from now when it's too late.

For what it's worth, don't be afraid of the word "stroke." My grandfather had a small stroke when I was a kid, recovered almost completely, and lived another 25 healthy, happy years. He was left with tunnel vision in one eye, and that was the only lasting effect. Everything else came back completely normal, and today treatments are better than ever.

Keeping both of your moms in my prayers.

hey Daniel..I'm really sorry for you and your mother..I hope she gets better very soon..But a heart attack and stuff like this is usually isn't deadly and if it is treated well it won't leave any major damage to your mother...so I think itll be OK again soon :club: