I may have asked you this before, I forget, but is your dog's name Obey, or are we just supposed to do what it tells us?Congrats on getting married, and following another dream!
His dogs name is Obey and it's pronounce Obie. Nicest dog you could ever find.

Excellent.Hope to meet up with you this summer Obey. Please try to stop by the teh ghey mansion (see New Challenge thread).Like Bob said, this could well become a satisfying and profitable hobby more than a lifestyle (which is how I will be treating poker in one year).And, imo, there are few vocations as noble as teaching others.Bravo sir. :club:

Great read. I'm totally new on here, but this is really well said.I'm a couple years your senior and stayed the course from HS to college to 9-5 working.I applaud anyone who has enough faith in their game and loves it enough to truly try and live out their dream of playing for a living....but between the uncertainty of chance, the faith necessary in your own game, and the battle to beat the house rake and the federal "rake"....all coupled with no "paid time off", no benefits package, etc. etc. I just think a lot of "dreamers" do get lost in the glamour of WPT/PAD/WSOP coverage and the publicized successes of many highest level poker pros, and don't really think every X and O of the game out before making THEIR move.I think it's fantastic that you were able to successfully play as profession, but also had the foresight to know the long term benefit(s) of diversifying in yourself. Best of luck with your clinicals, future profession, and continued luck at the felt....as you will definitely be back, even if it's as the passe, top-level casual player now :club:

there are few vocations as noble as teaching others for the first 5-10 years until you are fully tenured and your salary effectively doubles and continues to bloat while the work you put in becomes less and less :club:
:ts cleaned it up a lil bitBut seriously, it's a fantastic decision and career choice
I followed alot of your posts and really enjoyed them. Can you please do a poobah type post about razz before you move on. ( IIRC it was you that grinded razz live for a living, correct me if im wrong)
I thought about this. I can definitely work one up, even though I still think it's the most boring game alive. Do you have specific questions? I only grinded Razz for a living for about 14 months and that was mixed in heavily with a lot of tournament play. Addictive personality ya know...gets bored with the same things over and over again and Razz is ALL ABOUT doing the same things over and over again. I had two hugely spewy sessions where I strayed off the normal path and donated last March. I wouldn't advise getting creative. lol
Thanks for your great post as usual.If you want it to hopefully poker can become a nice hobby for you that you do for the enjoyment and entertainment while keeping the negative elements out of it.Have a great life.
Well....teachers do get summers off! Thanks for the kind words. I'll definitely try to make an effort to check the forums.

i got married this year too (err last year, june 08) and am 24 and am finishing up my degree. been playing poker for a 'living' for 3 years (since jan 06), although feels more like 2, 2.5 since ive taken time off/on so frequently.i intend to continue playing once i graduate, not sure for how long, we'll see.anyways, to my point.since we're relatively similar....I also get 'bored' with things and ppl always have said i have an addictive personality too!wanna prop bet on who ruins their life in the next 10 years?'ruin' is open to interpretation. can we get a mediator? preferrably someone who has ruined their life!hmm, who can I burn? Jay, you out there?how bout we bet 10k at even odds. You teaching, me degening.gogogo?- Jordan!

awesome post OP, gl with your dreams and best wishes to the future. I am in the opposite direction as you about to retire and returning to the game I once loved. The one difference being a different game of poker and no thoughts of being a pro. Just out there enjoying the fun and hoping to win a little. Don't forget the fun side of life, make sure that is always there.

i got married this year too (err last year, june 08) and am 24 and am finishing up my degree. been playing poker for a 'living' for 3 years (since jan 06), although feels more like 2, 2.5 since ive taken time off/on so frequently.i intend to continue playing once i graduate, not sure for how long, we'll see.anyways, to my point.since we're relatively similar....I also get 'bored' with things and ppl always have said i have an addictive personality too!wanna prop bet on who ruins their life in the next 10 years?'ruin' is open to interpretation. can we get a mediator? preferrably someone who has ruined their life!hmm, who can I burn? Jay, you out there?how bout we bet 10k at even odds. You teaching, me degening.gogogo?- Jordan!
i think i can help you guys with this.
Great post as usual, congrats on marriage. Somewhere, some kids are about to get a great teacher they're likely to remember for a long time.
Haha exactly.GL teaching dude. Let us know how it's going every now and then.
i think i can help you guys with this.
haha, yesssssin case anyone couldn't tell my post was a big level (bout the ruinage of life) but obey and i do have a similar story and I thought that was kinda interesting.GL w/ teaching
haha, yesssssin case anyone couldn't tell my post was a big level (bout the ruinage of life) but obey and i do have a similar story and I thought that was kinda interesting.GL w/ teaching
In 10 years, we can make a new thread REAL Lessons Learned and basically just cross out everything in the first one.

It's so disheartening to see guys that I really respect either leaving the game or thinking about leaving the game for various reasons. Guys that have been doing what I'm trying to for a while. Is the game changing that much? GL though, Obey.

It's so disheartening to see guys that I really respect either leaving the game or thinking about leaving the game for various reasons. Guys that have been doing what I'm trying to for a while. Is the game changing that much? GL though, Obey.
I woulidn't let me or any player leaving the game discourage you. Being honest, if I had made millions or had a huge score, I probably would have a very hard time quitting, but I would still try to make sure I'm pursuing my other interests. The fact is, a few hundred thousand is just not enough to live off of for life and the pressure of having to constantly win money in a game that is sometimes incredibly boring and incredibly volatile to make up for a lack of pension, leaves the pursuit somewhat hollow. Repetitive behaviors, always taking, in what amounts to a relatively worthless grind (speaking in terms of my own fulfillment, satisfaction, and spirituality), is a pricetag that I was NOT willing to pay for the rest of my life. This isn't a knock on anyone who does find these things in poker and thinks they can continue to find them for the rest of their lives day in and day out. I just became incredibly self-aware and knew how to best find happiness: Balance of pursuits and constant change. That's my recipe at least.I would never rule out a full return to poker or any previous pursuit in my life (I used to work for CNN and was really into cinematography). I've already turned it into a little hobby with an expectation of small profit and fully plan on playing some tourneys this summer. I still have a backer for the WSOP for televised events only (...long story) and I would be a fool to turn down the chance at free money, even if it means selling half of myself. So, is that really leaving? Just balancing really. The same as if someone wanted to put me in an FTOPS event or if I suddenly felt the urge to head down to the Venetian Deep Stacks, I'd head down and play. Anyway, I hope it doesn't discourage you. I think the games, while tougher at times, are still plenty juicy to make some serious money. Look at the talent on FCP and how they've catapulted themselves through hard work. TJ, Hoos, loosh, fluff, etc....many more. It's not coincidence. There's money to be made.

I just wanted to say good luck in your student teaching and teaching career! I am a teacher as well, just graduated from college and have my first job. I love playing poker, its been a pretty good money making hobby. But it doesn't compare to the satisfaction I get in the classroom everyday!