Please Tell Me Kidpoker Does Not Believe In Astrology

At the gay bars I go to daily if you asked someone their sign you would get shot down because you're too talky. Just eye contact and a crotch grab is the standard MO.
Yea I know, the whole sign thing has gotten kinda old, Ive been more lucky with the more direct, " May I push in your stool " line.

It's my opinion that Astrology has about as much chance of being correct as fortune cookies. But every once in a while they're both right and that's what perpetuates the idea. You don't remember all the times you read your astrology prediction for the day and it was totally offbase. But when it's right then it's like "hey gee that was right, there must be something to this astrology thing". Just like all the mediums and psychics, every time they predict something that happens then everyone is the same way. But forgotten is all the stuff they got wrong,lol.However it's my belief that there is something to people's personalities being tied somewhat to the season in which they're born. Consider that a baby born in winter is bundled up with a bunch of clothes and blankets etc which do hinder free movement. And consider the baby born in the summer who's basically almost naked, no impact on his freedom of movement. Don't you all think that this could have an impact on a person's later personality?

I'd say that in some basic form astrology is alot more likely to be true in theory than any religion for example. In a matter of speaking astrology is nothing more an attempt to figure out the future through causality, which is the principle that everything that happens is a direct result of what has just happened. If you had perfect knowledge of the momentum and location of every particle in the universe you could theoretically calculate what will happen next in each moment of time. The problem with astrology is simply that they are very very very bad at it. It's totally impossible to ever have enough knowledge of enough factors to ever be able to predict the future in any meningful way and astrologists try to do it by looking at planetary movements etc. That's like trying to predict the winner of the WSOP main event by looking at who has the coolest outfit on at day one. The basic principle is quite sound from a scientific standpoint of causality but the execution leaves everything to be desired.

I'd say that in some basic form astrology is alot more likely to be true in theory than any religion for example. In a matter of speaking astrology is nothing more an attempt to figure out the future through causality, which is the principle that everything that happens is a direct result of what has just happened. If you had perfect knowledge of the momentum and location of every particle in the universe you could theoretically calculate what will happen next in each moment of time. The problem with astrology is simply that they are very very very bad at it. It's totally impossible to ever have enough knowledge of enough factors to ever be able to predict the future in any meningful way and astrologists try to do it by looking at planetary movements etc. That's like trying to predict the winner of the WSOP main event by looking at who has the coolest outfit on at day one. The basic principle is quite sound from a scientific standpoint of causality but the execution leaves everything to be desired.
no, its not like that at all. and as far as my understanding of physics goes, you could only predict the probability of future events. newtonian mechanics stop working at the particle level.
I just read one of the kid's blogs and he talks about how he and other leos usually get along. I find it hard to fathom that a very intelligent person like Mr. Negreanu believes astrology has even slight merit.How would planetary bodies hundreds of millions of miles away and stars light years away affect our brain chemistries enough to cause similar behaviors? It's utter nonsense.Also doesn't Negreanu get along with everybody? Not just Leos?
I don't agree with everything in this paragraph.
Astrology has many roots in Christianity, the symbols all relate to Biblical people and events, I think the whole Gospel can be told through the astological signs.But it is not Biblical to believe in astrology that's for sure.However the full moon does turn some people into werewolves, but garlic keeps them away.Oh and the earth is about 6,000 years old. But when God created it, it was fully mature, just like He made Adam as a fully grown man, not an embryo gestating in a box ( since there were no uterasus around to supply gestation needs, that's why the box thing, also a good reference to a Monty Python bit in Life of Brian, which was also not bibilcally based )but the werewolf thing is scary to think about, so I don't. Sorry for reminded you guys.
This is my very most favorite BG post ever. Ever.
and as far as my understanding of physics goes, you could only predict the probability of future events. newtonian mechanics stop working at the particle level.
Well, of course it's not as simple as I led to believe. You can't do it with just newtonian mechanics. Me using the words "momentum and location" was in itself a very simplistic way of making a point. You would in fact need full knowledge of all parameters and states in a given point in time and you also need full knowledge of all universal laws that govern how particles etc interact with eachother. That's beside the point though. My point was that astrology can be seen as a very poor version of calcultions concerning causality which would in theory but not in practice make it more scientific than alot of other mysticism. And for the record momentum and location are still significant parameters in quantum mechanics though it's not calculated in the same way as in newtonian physics but that's completely beside the point.
Well, of course it's not as simple as I led to believe. You can't do it with just newtonian mechanics. Me using the words "momentum and location" was in itself a very simplistic way of making a point. You would in fact need full knowledge of all parameters and states in a given point in time and you also need full knowledge of all universal laws that govern how particles etc interact with eachother. That's beside the point though. My point was that astrology can be seen as a very poor version of calcultions concerning causality which would in theory but not in practice make it more scientific than alot of other mysticism. And for the record momentum and location are still significant parameters in quantum mechanics though it's not calculated in the same way as in newtonian physics but that's completely beside the point.
"Scientific" doesn't mean "involving cause and effect". Since the particular causal relationships posited by astrology are not based on evidence, they are not any more scientific than any other superstition. Superstitions almost always involve spurious causal inferences, e.g. doing a rain dance will make it rain, or kissing the quarter before I pull the slot machine will get me the jackpot.
OMG HI I LOVE YOU

I join with Brvheart in loving BG's post. He's taking it to a new level right before our eyes.Nimue is right, too, that astrology is based on our tendency to remember "hits" and forget the far more frequent misses. I never take it as more than brain candy, although I do like Rob Brezsny's column "Free Will Astrology." He tends to muse upon self-improvement themes, broken down by signs, more than offer any kind of prediction or prediction.I was more struck by the assertion that Angel had known Daniel on some other plane or in a past life. As soon as people find out I'm Buddhist, one of the first things they ask is "So, do you know who you were in a past life?" Americans seem so curious about reincarnation, but the actual faiths that believe in it couldn't care less about past lives. I've studied Buddhism for over a decade and never met a single Buddhist who cared about past lives, but have been asked about it dozens of times by Christians. It's quite odd.So here's a little bit about other planes and past lives, for what it's worth. [by the way, I don't literally believe in reincarnation, but I find it a charming idea.]Hinduism, and the Buddhism that grew out of it, believe that we have each been alive for eons and eons. In that time, we have all been each other's lovers. We have all murdered, raped, and stolen from each other, and we have all been raped and murdered and stolen from. But we have also all been each other's parents and each other's innocent children, and we've all been the one holding each other's hand at the moment of death. So we should not judge each other harshly and should strive to see a glimpse of the past loving relationship we have with every stranger.In the course of all these eons, we travel from demon realms to gods and back again, over and over (only those who have achieved enlightenment are free from karmic reincarnation). You can never know where someone is in their own arc, or which direction they are headed in. Thus, a seeming monster in this lifetime might be just up from the demon realms in his very first human incarnation, with a thousand years of learning to do before he gets it right, or he might be a former god, nearing the nadir of his descent. A seeming angel in this life might be headed up to the god realm or may have just fallen from it -- or may be nearing the end of the whole karmic merry-go-round by nearing enlightenment.There is a Hindu story of the god Indra, who was proud of being a high god and began building a palace so magnificent is was bankrupting heaven itself. The other gods appealed to Brahma to stop him. So Brahma made a trip to see Indra's great palace. Of course, Indra immediately began showing off the jewelled columns and the gilded roof. But Brahma squatted down and intently watched a line of ants, marching busily along their little route. "Each of them a former Indra," he said. Indra got the point and abandoned the palace, returning the money to the heavenly treasury.The Eastern idea toward past lives is this: if you got out of that life, you must have learned the lesson you were supposed to, so why worry about it anymore? It's like a used tissue, useful and even necessary while you need it, but not worth holding on to later. The important thing is that my actions and intentions now determine my future. Even if you don't believe in reincarnation, the idea of karma can be compressed into one lifetime without losing its meaning. So "we've known each other in a former life" is a very American New Age line that most people who practice reincarnation-based faiths wouldn't even really get.My college newspaper once offered an astrology column that described each sign and offered a prediction. It read:Leo -- you are fun-loving, generous, creative, and passionate. Your friends call you the life of the party. Tonight, you will die.Cancer -- you are a warm, loving, nurturing homebody. Your friends call you the mother hen of the group. Tonight, you will die.Libra -- you always see both sides to every story. Your friends come to you for advice and to solve conflicts. Tonight, you will die.Virgo -- you are practical, efficient, and methodical. Your friends can always count on you when the chips are down. Tonight, you will die.Sagittarius -- you are intellectual, creative, passionate, and love travel. Your friends say you have the best road trips. Tonight, all your friends will die.Being Sagittarius, I liked that.

In Classical (Newtonian) Mechanics, it's called "initial conditions." If you know them, you can precisely predict the future. That's how we landed men on the moon with computers weaker than a 3$ calculator today.In Quantum Mechanics you can only calculate probabilities. Position and Momentum are certainly important, but the more accurately you measure one, the more questionable the other becomes. You can't know both. Damn Heisenberg!Just sayin..... Aw crap....astrology? I thought it was astrophysics.Nevermind.But hey, google "Dirac Notation."They talk about Bras!
That's how we landed men on the moon with computers weaker than a 3$ calculator today.
THAT has always been the thing that amazes me most about science, right there. The lunar landing module in the Smithsonian was controlled with KNOBS -- knobs!!! It didn't look like it could get out of the building without bursting into flames, much less to the moon.
THAT has always been the thing that amazes me most about science, right there. The lunar landing module in the Smithsonian was controlled with KNOBS -- knobs!!! It didn't look like it could get out of the building without bursting into flames, much less to the moon.
DuhThe landing on the moon was accomplished with FILMTrick photography on a sound stage in Burbank
DuhThe landing on the moon was accomplished with FILMTrick photography on a sound stage in Burbank
I know you are kidding , but it amazes me that there are some who think this. As tho the russians etal werent monitoring the whole trip in real time.