Folding Aces Pre-flop

Not my notion i must point out, but Phil Hellmuths.He discussed this on poker after dark. If your at a table of say 6-9 people and feel like you can easily out-play everyone at the table, could there be an arguement for laying down aces to someones shove?Hellmuth said ''Why risk all your chips in a 4-1 situation against any two random cards when you can confidently predict that you will get everyones chips by outplaying them''I think Phil's tounge was firmly in his cheek but I thought it was an interesting thought and worthy of discussion. ???

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather be a 3-1 favorite after the flop than 4-1 before the flop because you never know what the flop's gonna bring
Yes, I see what you are saying completely. :club: I would still want to get it in pre-flop 4-1 all day long, no matter the opponent.

Anyone who for 1 microsecond think that folding AA preflop is ever a good idea, except for in a satellite where you are already guaranteed a prize, isn't a winning player.

First hand of the Main event, everyone shoves to you and you have AA, do you call?
Did I win my seat through a satellite or did I pay the $10,000 fee myself?

The only possible way I'd throw away AA preflop is if you were at some insane cash game and six people pushed all in and you had to go all in preflop to call and you had a significant portion of your bankroll on the table.....but even then I'd still lean towards calling...and the real problem would be having that much of your bankroll on the table at one time.Basically..never fold.

Not my notion i must point out, but Phil Hellmuths.He discussed this on poker after dark. If your at a table of say 6-9 people and feel like you can easily out-play everyone at the table, could there be an arguement for laying down aces to someones shove?Hellmuth said ''Why risk all your chips in a 4-1 situation against any two random cards when you can confidently predict that you will get everyones chips by outplaying them''I think Phil's tounge was firmly in his cheek but I thought it was an interesting thought and worthy of discussion. ???
These hypothetical situations are just dumb. Isn't putting someone in at 4-1 "outplaying" them? How does it get any better?
These hypothetical situations are just dumb. Isn't putting someone in at 4-1 "outplaying" them? How does it get any better?
EXACTLY!
I'd rather be a 3-1 favorite after the flop than 4-1 before the flop because you never know what the flop's gonna bring
this seems statement seems to lack a fair bit of logic
First hand of the Main event, everyone shoves to you and you have AA, do you call?
EVERYONE? Wouldn't this situation make this virtually a coinflip? With the AA just a sliver ahead? I don't know I might get shit for saying this but I MIGHT fold it, waiting for a better spot when my aces would actually be 4-1 to win instead this early of the Main Event of nearly 50-50. Then again It's technically a bad play but I just don't think it's worth risking your entire stack first hand in a prestige tournament on a coin flip. But, really that situation would most likely never happen, and I would get be more than happy to get my Aces in 99.9&~repeating in preflop. No matter what Hellmuth says. IF I ever saw him fold Aces on TV I would have no more than the little respect I have now for him.
EVERYONE? Wouldn't this situation make this virtually a coinflip? With the AA just a sliver ahead? I don't know I might get shit for saying this but I MIGHT fold it, waiting for a better spot when my aces would actually be 4-1 to win instead this early of the Main Event of nearly 50-50. Then again It's technically a bad play but I just don't think it's worth risking your entire stack first hand in a prestige tournament on a coin flip. But, really that situation would most likely never happen, and I would get be more than happy to get my Aces in 99.9&~repeating in preflop. No matter what Hellmuth says. IF I ever saw him fold Aces on TV I would have no more than the little respect I have now for him.
Wait, so you'd fold getting 9-1 if you were in a 50-50 situation?
AA versus 9 opponents pf = 31%8 opponents pf = 34%7 opponents pf = 38%6 opponents pf = 43%5 opponents pf = 49%4 opponents pf = 56%3 opponents pf = 64%2 opponents pf = 73%1 opponent pf = 85%Information according to pokernews hand calculator.If you are up against 8 other opponents, most likely there would be no aces left as you would prolly be up against AK, AQ plus KK QQ, meaning you would prolly most likely to hit a str8 (also very unlikely).
What an interesting topic. Never been discussed before.
Did I win my seat through a satellite or did I pay the $10,000 fee myself?
well i don't anyone should accept allin before seeing the flop
I THINK AGREE THAT POKER, HAVING GOOD WHEN WITH AA. FOLDING IS THE WHY I NOT AGREE WITH POSTINGS!ONCE, I HAVE AA WITH THREE OF THEM AND NOT WIN ON TURNRIVER BUT IS,NT THE HAPPY. IS CRAZY TIMES NO?
I think these pretty much sum up this thread.My other question is...Are the 4 other players who shove wearing any Pokerstars or Fulltilt gear? Because that makes them good.