Weeeeeeeee!Come on Ireland! If we don't win a Grand Slam this year, we will never win one ever again!It's obviously the best oppurtunity we've had at a championship in yonks. From a neutral standpoint, I would say Ireland winning the six nations would be about as likely as United winning the Premiership, so, more or less, it's a lock. However, being an Irish fan, I'm more pessimistic. I'm looking at how we can fook it up, more than how we'll win it! Two trips to Murrayfield and Cardiff won't be easy, but still, I really do think we're going to do it!The Irish pack is the biggest it's been in ages. Very solid front row, Horan and Flannery do their job very well and Hayes is an absolute legend. O'Connell is obviously a monster, not enough superlatives to describe this guy. O'Callaghan, although I'd like to see somebody really push him for his place he's still a great player. He did beat the likes of O'Driscoll and O'Kelly to get the shirt, so I guess he can't be slacking off too much! The back-row is what I'm really pleased with. Ferris, Wallace and Heaslip have all been awesome. Everyone's always known how good Wallace is, but the performances from Ferris and Heaslip, especially being relatively young, have been excellent. And of course the physicality of the back row. When David Wallace is your smallest and lightest back-row, you know you must have one strong team! I wouldn't be surprised to see all three of them tour with Lions this summer. The backs have been good aswell. New guys like Kearney and Fitzgerald have really added vitality to the back. It's great to be able to pick from the experience of guys like Horgan, D'Arcy and Murphy, and the youthfulness of guys like Kearney, Fitz and Bowe. O'Driscoll has been great too, esp against England! I've always said (this coming from a Munster man!), he really does add that spark to the Irish team. Anyway, here's to Ireland winning a grand-slam!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotland were appalling once again on Saturday. Thankfully Italy are in the group otherwise it would a wooden spoon every year.

Italy France is turning out to be a good game with Italy really gunning for it and France showing some lovely hands. Chabal just scored as I type, strong bastard, never consider him tackled. Such a good take by their 12 he fumbled the high ball and caught around his thighs in full sprint.The referee is pretty terrible and hurting Italy(hes Irish). Funny part was that he can speak French and Italian so he is doing so, then the Italian out half walks up and he switches back to English. Hes Australian, I found that fairly amusing.Scotland England. England can still claim 2nd if Wales lose and they beat Scotland. Fortunately for the new English friends I have made at the bar I think Scotland is going to be a lot tougher than they think. France just turned out perfect for them, with turnovers and every attack being a score. If Scotland hold on for the first 20 and hold down the errors it could be a cracker.France just scored again, so much for a good game.Ireland Wales: 0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0ooo0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o00o0o00o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o00o0o0o0o0I really have no idea how this will go. PLEASE JUST LET IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 61 YEARS, LET O'DRISCOL AND CO BECOME LEGENDS IN IRELAND, THEY DESERVE IT

COME ON IRELAND!!!!my dad is from Clare so i've always liked the Irish as much as the English - plastic paddy syndrome and all that. There is a very short window for Ireland to win a grand slam so its pretty much now or never.In other news, best wishes to Harry Ellis who looks like he may have sustained a very nasty neck injury. Reminded me very much of this hit - obv minus the helmets and pads -

holy shit. seriously Im still in shock and almost had a heart attack twice. Jones taking that kick in the last seconds was just another familiar Ireland losing after working so hard and then he was a yard short. Its sad but watching the smile on Brian O'Driscols face is one of my happiest memories ever, these group of animals deserved a Grand Slam and after so many close attempts they got it.History

So i figured we may as well turn this into the Official Rugby thread now - maybe a title change could be added :club:. I am still on a high after the Irish win yesterday, especially as that was one of the most intense games i have ever seen. The ending was almost unbearable. Anyhow, gotta look forward now to the Lions and thought we might as well make some predictions for the squad and 1st XV. From what i've ready, Geech is taking 35 players though i dont know how he'll be splitting each position. Thought it could make for some lively banter. My squad (first 15 bolded):Full BacksLee Byrne (Wal)Rob Kearney (Ire)Delon Armitage (Eng) - provides cover for the wing and outside centreWingShane Williams (Wal)Tommy Bowe (Ire)Thom Evans (Sco)Outside CentreBrian O'Driscoll (Ire)Tom Shanklin (Wal)Inside CentreGavin Henson (Wal) - provides cover for full back, outside centre and fly halfJamie Roberts (Wal)Fly HalfJohnny Wilkinson (Eng)Ronan O'Gara (Ire)Stephen Jones (Wal)Scrum HalfMike Phillips (Wal)Harry Ellis (Eng)Mike Blair (Sco)PropsEuan Murray (Sco)Gethin Jenkins (Wal)Adam Jones (Wal)Phil Vickery (Eng)Marcus Horan (Ire)HookersJerry Flannery (Ire)Dylan Hartley (Eng)Ross Ford (Sco)LocksPaul O'Connell (Ire), CaptainAlan Wynne-Jones (Wal)Simon Shaw (Eng)Donnacha O'Callaghan (Ire)BlindsidesTom Croft (Eng)Alasdair Strokosch (Sco)OpensidesDavid Wallace (Ire) - provides cover for the blindside and number 8.Martyn Williams (Wal)Number 8Ryan Jones (Wal) - provides cover for the blindsideJames Haskell (Eng) - provides cover for the blindsideJamie Heaslip (Ire)Near misses - Chris Paterson, Paul Sackey, Mike Tindall, Ricky Flutey, Danny Cipriani, Duane Peel, Andrew Sheridan, John Hayes, Ian Gough, Andy Powell, Tom Rees.Its pretty tough to whittle the selection down to 35 but i think we'll see the majority of the party made up of the Irish and Welsh, with the same in the test team. Wilkinson is contraversial choice but if he is fit, he has to be the man at 10 purely for his defensive game which gives him the significant advantage over the other two. In the pack i think they'll go for the power of Haskell over the speed of Croft as the back row for SA are all very big ball carriers so we'll need big hitters in defence.

Will give this a proper look over as I dont have much time. Stephen Ferris not getting a mention? His name is basically already pencilled in at No. 6. Hes the only Bok like flanker we have out of all teams.

Will give this a proper look over as I dont have much time. Stephen Ferris not getting a mention? His name is basically already pencilled in at No. 6. Hes the only Bok like flanker we have out of all teams.
I dont think he has the necessary experience at International or European level to warrant a Lions place as yet though he did well in the championship this year. The fact he went off very early in the Grand Slam game will go against him i think.I disagree that we have no Bok-like flankers, i think Haskell, Jones and Wallace have the necessary power, size and ball skills to compete with Smith and Burger - the first 2 are good strike runners who are as big as the SA big guns and Wallace is outstanding in and around the tackle area - as is Williams. Storokosh is super aggressive in contact and in tight which is pretty key against the Boks, and Heaslip and Croft offer something a bit different with their speed and rangey running styles. Its real tough to whittle a squad down to 35, lots of players that you feel should get in but cant squeeze in there!

I'd be willing to wager that Ferris starts at least one test match. I agree with Wallace and Jones and Heaslip, but Ferris is something else altogether.

LIONS XV1. Genkins (WAL)--1. Flannery (IRE)--3. Hayes (IRE)---4. Alwyn-Jones (WAL)---5.O'Connell (IRE)--6. Ferris (IRE)---8. Heaslip (IRE)---7. Wallace (IRE)9.Blair (SCO)----10.O'Gara (IRE)/Jones(WAL)11.Williams (WAL)---12.Flutey (ENG)---13.O'Driscoll (IRE)---14.Bowe (IRE)------------------15.Byrne (WAL)/Kearney(IRE)----------------That's my Irish biased 15. Realistically, that probably won't be the team. I think a case can be made for any Irish player to start, but due to the coaching staff and the fact there is some pretty stiff competition, I don't think there'll be that many Irish players.NON-IRISH DOMINATED LIONS XV1. Genkins (WAL)--2. Rees (WAL)--3. Vickery (ENG) ---4. Alwyn-Jones (WAL)---5.O'Connell (IRE) --6. Ferris (IRE)---8. Heaslip (IRE)---7. M.Williams(IRE) 9.Blair (SCO)----10.Jones(WAL) 11.Williams (WAL)---12.Flutey (ENG)---13.O'Driscoll (IRE)---14.Sackey (ENG) ------------------------------15.Byrne (WAL)----------------Some combination between those two teams is the team that will be picked imo. Debatable positions:Tight-head - Not sure who to pick here. Vickery is probably the best available, but I would love if Hayes got to start.Back-Row - I personally think the strongest backrow is one of 6. Ferris, 7. Wallace, 8. Heaslip. The Irish back-row was immense during the 6N and I see no reason why these 3 shouldn't start.10. - It's either Jones or O'Gara imo. This is probably the closest call imo. I think O'Gara showed an improvement in his running and his physicality during the 6N. It's a toss-up, but obviously in any 50-50 call, I'll choose the Irish guy, so O'Gara (but I don't think the Lions coaching staff will share my sentiments!)Inside-Centre - Bleh, don't know who to pick here. Henson, Shanklin, D'Arcy all could be picked. Don't really like Henson, so he's not picked. Shanklin is usually a 13 so he's not picked. D'arcy isn't good enough so he's not picked. Instead I went with a guy who scored 4 tries in the 6N, Riki Flutey. Yeah, it's obviously not a standard pick but who cares.14. - Sackey or Bowe. My preference goes to BoweFull-Back - Kearney had a great 6N and I am sure he will be putting Byrne under huge pressure for his starting place. Hopefully Kearney will start.So, if I HAD to choose my XV right now, it would be...1. Genkins2. Flannery3. Vickery4. Alwyn-Jones5. O'Connell6. Ferris7. Wallace8. Heaslip9. Blair10. O'Gara11. Williams12. Flutey13. O'Driscoll14. Bowe15. Byrne

I'd be willing to wager that Ferris starts at least one test match. I agree with Wallace and Jones and Heaslip, but Ferris is something else altogether.
I like Ferris a lot, and i am not trying to slight him or his performances in any way but i just dont think he'll make the Lions test squad. 10 dollar/pound/euro wager that he doesnt start in the tests? Obviously a injury clause would be included.
I like Ferris a lot, and i am not trying to slight him or his performances in any way but i just dont think he'll make the Lions test squad. 10 dollar/pound/euro wager that he doesnt start in the tests? Obviously a injury clause would be included.
booked for sure. Yea I know you're not saying hes shit or anything. I just think he is the ideal blindside for this tour.And Jam Fly I'd be willing to book a lot of money on Vickery not starting a test and a smaller amount that he doesn't get on the tour
  • 2 weeks later...
booked for sure. Yea I know you're not saying hes shit or anything. I just think he is the ideal blindside for this tour.And Jam Fly I'd be willing to book a lot of money on Vickery not starting a test and a smaller amount that he doesn't get on the tour
nah, not very confident in Vickery tbh! There's also a good chance the Scottish prop Murray could start as opposed to Vickery or Hayes
  • 3 weeks later...

Lions SquadFullback Lee Byrne (Wales) Rob Kearney (Ireland) Wing Shane Williams (Wales) Leigh Halfpenny (Wales) Ugo Moyne (England) Luke Fitzgerald (Ireland) Tommy Bowe (Ireland) Centre Tom Shanklin (Wales) Jamie Roberts (Wales) Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland) Keith Earls (Ireland) Riki Flutey (England) Fly Half Ronan O'Gara (Ireland) Stephen Jones (Wales) Scrum Half Mike Phillips (Wales) Harry Ellis (England) Tomas O'Leary (Ireland) No 8 Jamie Heaslip (Ireland) Andy Powell (Wales) Flanker David Wallace (Ireland) Stephen Ferris (Ireland) Alan Quainlan (Ireland) Joe Worsley (England) Martyn Williams (Wales) Lock Alun-Wyn Jones (Wales) Paul O'Connell (Ireland) Captain Donncha O'Callaghan (Ireland) Simon Shaw (England) Nathan Hines (Scotland) Prop Gethin Jenkins (Wales) Adam Jones (Wales) Andrew Sheridan (England) Phil Vickery (England) Euan Murray (Scotland) Hooker Jerry Flannery (Ireland) Lee Mears (England) Matthew Rees (Wales)Really happy with the centres selected, great to see Flutey and Earls included.Thrilled with the back-rows. Four Irish back-rows is unbelievable!Little surprised neither Horan or Hayes were included, would've been cool if they got selected.By the looks of things, we could easily see 2/3 of the starting 15 being Irish. Possibly as high as 13 starters being Irish! Happy enough O'Connell got the captaincy, although I wouldn't've been opposed to BOD getting it (this coming from a Munster man! :club: )Overall, very happy

My bet for Ferris is going nicely as predicted. I was reading the BBC's 606 and one Scottish guy complained and said it was obvious that there was a Scottish bias and he would be supporting the lions because of it. It was then pointed out to him that the Lions manager is Scottish. I laughed a lot at that one. "Munster minus Mafi, Hayes and Howlett for the Test team"I can't really see how you can complain about any of the Irish players selected. Hayes Horan Best and Darcy will still feel hard done by.

My bet for Ferris is going nicely as predicted. I was reading the BBC's 606 and one Scottish guy complained and said it was obvious that there was a Scottish bias and he would be supporting the lions because of it. It was then pointed out to him that the Lions manager is Scottish. I laughed a lot at that one. "Munster minus Mafi, Hayes and Howlett for the Test team"I can't really see how you can complain about any of the Irish players selected. Hayes Horan Best and Darcy will still feel hard done by.
i'm definitely not complaining, i am a big Munster fan - i would be keen to see that lol! Heaslip could be looking good for the 6 journey now too :S. what amount did we settle on?
i'm definitely not complaining, i am a big Munster fan - i would be keen to see that lol! Heaslip could be looking good for the 6 journey now too :S. what amount did we settle on?
pretty sure it was small like 10. Its on the first page. Yea I knew you like munster but from reading 606 I've become a bit defensive:)
  • 1 month later...

Ferris ruled out with injury so bet off. You saved yourself 10, if you've been following the tour it was pretty obvious he was impressing and would start at least one test. He won man of the match against the Cheetahs too.

Ferris ruled out with injury so bet off. You saved yourself 10, if you've been following the tour it was pretty obvious he was impressing and would start at least one test. He won man of the match against the Cheetahs too.
i feel for him, he was looking good for at least a place on the bench in the first test.at this stage my test team would be:15. Byrne14. Bowe13. O'Driscoll12. Roberts11. Monye10. O'Gara9. Phillips1. Jenkins2. Mears3. Sheridan4. O'Connell5. Wynn Jones6. Croft7. Wallace8. PowellSubs: Vickery, Ford, Hines, Williams, Ellis, Hook, Fitzgerald
i feel for him, he was looking good for at least a place on the bench in the first test.at this stage my test team would be:15. Byrne14. Bowe13. O'Driscoll12. Roberts11. Monye10. O'Gara9. Phillips1. Jenkins2. Mears3. Sheridan4. O'Connell5. Wynn Jones6. Croft7. Wallace8. PowellSubs: Vickery, Ford, Hines, Williams, Ellis, Hook, Fitzgerald
You were losing that bet for sure. Last night proved how much more important he is than Croft.I like your team, except wtf at Powell? Heaslip owns that jersey. Powell hasnt been that impressive and has no intelligence. Heaslip has been doing the grunt work and has the ability to spark at any moment.That backrow would get destroyed against south africa, Croft isn't a no6 for a team like South Africa. Hes amazing but not what we need, we are already in trouble at the breakdown. Heaslip will need to be there to cover up for what croft is lacking.I think I'd put Jones in for the first test even though I have a man crush on ROG.The 11 is a tough one but yea I like Moynes physicality, I think Fitzgerald is the best winger there but he only had one game on the wing and doesnt deserve a test spot on one performance.Byrne is an animal, if you keep Kearney out of a team especially with his performance against the Golden Lions, you have to be world class and Byrne is amazing.