Super Bowl Xliii Champs

QFT. The Ravens in general are the dirtiest team in football. Personally calling out hits on players before games? Well done Baltimore! Hines Ward is fine thank you and he has a second ring to show for it.
Are you still bringing that up now that you have won the Super Bowl? Honestly? Suggs' comments were blown so far out of proportion its not even funny. When there was all that "bounty" talk it obviously wasn't meant to be taken literally. Naturally the media saw something that would make good headlines considering there is no love lost between the two teams, and shook the hornets' nest. Suggs was an idiot in the first place for saying it. I thought Hines Ward's comments during his PTI interview were hilarious were he brought out the NFL rulebook's stipulations on it. I don't like him because he is a Steeler, but its hard not to admire him as a player. The league would be a lot better if more recievers would be as physical as he is and actually do some good blocking.
It was the punch early in the block that is objectionable. I don't like it, it's not football.He was flagged for 15 yards. Move on.
This was the only thing I was trying to point out. At one point Harrison is doing the right thing by keeping two hands on the guy's back and preventing him from getting up. Then he acts like he is going to let the guy up, and shoves him to the ground. The guy slowly starts getting up again, and then Harrison tries to put him back on the ground when everyone is simply walking around the field and the play is clearly over. Saying this kind of behavior is acceptable because that is "how special teams plays" is BS. Yeah they are the roughest unit in a football team, but its because those guys are largely just holding onto their roster spot by maintaining their spot on that unit. That desperation to maintain your job definetely lends itself to aggressive play. If you take out the punch and the second shove, I don't have much of a problem with it, since the play was still going on during the first shove.I am just going to leave the "Ravens are the dirtiest football team in general," alone and chalk it up to our natural bias against each other's teams. The only reason I posted originally was to congradulate you guys on the win, albeit begrudgingly. You Steelers fans are essentially the only guys on the forum I can talk the AFC North with on the forum, as I don't know of another Raven fan on the forum, the Bengals didn't lend themselves to much discussion this season, and we all laughed at the one Browns fan who thought Cribbs was God. When I threw in my opinion about Harrison's penalty, I was not trying to say "OMG the Steelers play so dirty." I'm a pretty objective person IMO and can separate my emotions from my comments (especially now that the Ravens' season has been over for two weeks thanks to you guys... Sigh).
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? Because his assignment was to ensure that player didnt get up to make a tackle?
ROFLMAOSo you're saying those punches are justified then? The punches had NOTHING to do with ensuring his player didn't make the tackle. Be more biased if poss.
Are you still bringing that up now that you have won the Super Bowl? Honestly? Suggs' comments were blown so far out of proportion its not even funny. When there was all that "bounty" talk it obviously wasn't meant to be taken literally. Naturally the media saw something that would make good headlines considering there is no love lost between the two teams, and shook the hornets' nest. Suggs was an idiot in the first place for saying it. I thought Hines Ward's comments during his PTI interview were hilarious were he brought out the NFL rulebook's stipulations on it. I don't like him because he is a Steeler, but its hard not to admire him as a player. The league would be a lot better if more recievers would be as physical as he is and actually do some good blocking.This was the only thing I was trying to point out. At one point Harrison is doing the right thing by keeping two hands on the guy's back and preventing him from getting up. Then he acts like he is going to let the guy up, and shoves him to the ground. The guy slowly starts getting up again, and then Harrison tries to put him back on the ground when everyone is simply walking around the field and the play is clearly over. Saying this kind of behavior is acceptable because that is "how special teams plays" is BS. Yeah they are the roughest unit in a football team, but its because those guys are largely just holding onto their roster spot by maintaining their spot on that unit. That desperation to maintain your job definetely lends itself to aggressive play. If you take out the punch and the second shove, I don't have much of a problem with it, since the play was still going on during the first shove.I am just going to leave the "Ravens are the dirtiest football team in general," alone and chalk it up to our natural bias against each other's teams. The only reason I posted originally was to congradulate you guys on the win, albeit begrudgingly. You Steelers fans are essentially the only guys on the forum I can talk the AFC North with on the forum, as I don't know of another Raven fan on the forum, the Bengals didn't lend themselves to much discussion this season, and we all laughed at the one Browns fan who thought Cribbs was God. When I threw in my opinion about Harrison's penalty, I was not trying to say "OMG the Steelers play so dirty." I'm a pretty objective person IMO and can separate my emotions from my comments (especially now that the Ravens' season has been over for two weeks thanks to you guys... Sigh).
Fair enough...
ROFLMAOSo you're saying those punches are justified then? The punches had NOTHING to do with ensuring his player didn't make the tackle. Be more biased if poss.
I don't see any punches. Just shoving and holding down.

How do we know that this player didn't say something insulting to Harrison. Yea, he's supposed to be able to control his temper, but if confronted with the right comment(s) it wouldn't be too hard to imagine he'd snap.

I don't see any punches. Just shoving and holding down.
I think it's like a half lefty at the very beginning of the clip. It's almost like he's roid raging. He hits the ... "scapula pad," so it it didn't hurt anyone, but it's still way out of line. It was just a retarded thing to do, but I think the emotion of the game just takes these guys to a place and time most of us don't understand. I don't think ANYONE knows just how emotional and totally GEEKED these guys get for every play. They have to in order to survive the league and the level of play. If you've ever played football at a lower level, and the stood beside a pro and understood their size, then watched them and understood the true speed of the NFL game (must less the Super Bowl), you have to be in total awe. Total awe. They play at a level that is just out of mind. It's hard to explain. Flag him. Penalize the team. If he keeps doing it, you have to address it.

It really is amazing to see how much your opinion or bias can affect what you see. I was rooting for the Cardinals and I saw punches. People rooting for the steelers saw pushing and holding down.

It really is amazing to see how much your opinion or bias can affect what you see. I was rooting for the Cardinals and I saw punches. People rooting for the steelers saw pushing and holding down.
I was rooting for AZ.
I think it's like a half lefty at the very beginning of the clip. It's almost like he's roid raging. He hits the ... "scapula pad," so it it didn't hurt anyone, but it's still way out of line.
His hand was flat. He was just forcefully putting it there to hold him down. I know how it could look like a punch because he swings his arm, but his hand was open.
you cant argue with a steelers fan man let it go. i grew up outside pittsburgh and been doing it for years its no use. they would be the first ones bitchin if it was the other way around. (not directing this to ozium or any1 else just saying steelers fans in general)
All I am saying is that happens all the time on special teams plays. It wasnt that big of a deal, yes he got flagged but so what. It wasnt OVER THE TOP because if you watch special teams players that is their job ! He was caught , plain and simple, thats all I was saying. I never complained that it shouldnt have been FLAGGED. I am very objective and just because I bleed Black & Gold doesnt mean I have blinders on. Go to my Steelers thread and see.
See above.